As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    real talk: I have a visual memory and if something isn't in front of me or I can't follow a landscape of memory breadcrumbs to it, I will forget it exists. Bookmarks for me are the digital equivalent of putting something neatly away in a drawer - it will never again see the light of day. So if I have something I need to get back to, but won't be triggered to remember by anything else in the environment, I leave it open as a tab because otherwise it will be lost forever.

This is also why my desk has layers up to a foot deep in places.

This is basically exactly how I work, and the metaphor for bookmarking being like shoving something into a drawer forever describes the way my brain operates to a T. My tabs are a combination of the things I'm currently working on, reference material, research, price comparisons, and to-dos for the next several days.

And then my actual desktop is a pair of notebooks, and 4 separate stacks of sticky notes for different purposes, with assorted torn out pages and sticky notes layered up in various spots. I got rid of my filing cabinet under my desk because if I put anything in it, I never looked at it again and forgot it existed.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I have multiple tabs on multiple browsers

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, I have another 20 or so tabs open in Edge, but that's purely being used as a PDF viewer.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    At most I will have two tabs. Any more and I start getting anxious.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I use 3 different things to mitigate tabs everywhere: Toby, an extension that takes over your new tab page to give you button style links that you can group by category. OneTab, a session save for the multiple tabs I keep open at times when it becomes too many, and bookmarks of course.

I just read stuff.

Then I close the tab.

• Options
    I have been lobbying for a laptop upgrade for a while since my poor Surface only has 8GB of RAM and Chrome basically laughs at that well before you get to triple digit tabs.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yo

Stop.

Breath.

We're not trying to trick you.

Just, like, read the fucking email and follow the fucking instructions.

We don't get our jollies ruining your day, I promise. Our job is to help you work better, not fuck up your shit.

God I lose my mind every time someone calls me acting like I flipped some switch somewhere that specifically exists to fuck up their stuff in particular.

Those people and the ones who are afraid if they, like, press the 'a' key one too many times their computer will just delete all their files.

Calm down people, it's just a tool.

Just like you.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I don't get people who leave tons of tabs open. My browser is an elegant, streamlined Swiss watch of dick jokes and weather updates.

Then again, I haven't deleted a Gmail message since 2009, since I've narrowly kept ahead of the storage limits. So I have my own share of people who think I'm a monster.

Depends. Are they unread messages?

E: wasn't there someone who posted a screenshot a few years ago here with more than 10,000 unread messages?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I don't get people who leave tons of tabs open. My browser is an elegant, streamlined Swiss watch of dick jokes and weather updates.

Then again, I haven't deleted a Gmail message since 2009, since I've narrowly kept ahead of the storage limits. So I have my own share of people who think I'm a monster.

I have a hotmail folder labeled 1999.

My remaining emails are all in my inbox.

I have no Gmail Folders.

The only emails I delete are fishing scams.

• Options

E: wasn't there someone who posted a screenshot a few years ago here with more than 10,000 unread messages?

There is currently an icon showing 17,857 unread messages on my iPhone’s e-mail app.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Got another drive tomorrow for an interview and it's pouring outside, so the road I'm using will definitely be flooded if not icy.

Fuuuuuck.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    sarukun wrote: »

I have no Gmail Folders.

Same.

There is currently an icon showing 17,857 unread messages on my iPhone’s e-mail app.

Man, fuck you.

chromdom on
  • Options
    I am but a flawed, simple human.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh, that was you. Whew! I'll put it back.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The Android Gmail app is kind and only tells me 99+ unread.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Go out to bar with classmates after last class. Hang out for awhile, get my check, can't find waitress to pay, take cash + tip for poutine up to the bar so it doesn't get lost

Drive home. Get text from people saying I walked out on my tab.

"No I didn't. I took it up to the bar."

Lmao at least the person who reluctantly paid for me got their money back.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Instead of saving open tabs when I find something I need, I remember how I found it. I remember the process to find the info, the methods of discovery. The links between the question and the answer. So if a website dies, browser crashes, not at my computer, I can find it again. Quicker and easier.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2018
    That assumes you know you will want that thing again. I definitely won't remember that I had an idea requiring a high precision single gimbal magnetically suspended control moment gyro unless something is in my face to remind me of it. It's either a tab, or my computer gets covered in post its (spoiler: my computer is covered in post its).

Tabs aren't for things I have actively set out to research, that's what saved database searches, zotero, or (horrors) bookmarks are for. Tabs are for shit I come across randomly and think are cool or useful but will never find again if I don't do something with the information immediately.

tynic on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

I have no Gmail Folders.

Same.

Man, fuck you.

72,529 unread emails here.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »

I have no Gmail Folders.

Same.

Man, fuck you.

S... senpai...!

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Yesterday morning, we had two guys with signs protesting outside our store (but not on the property). Their sign stated that we ‘tampered’ with food, and a phone number to call.

End of my shift, I worked up the courage to talk to them. Turns out, their boss paid them to protest because the boss’s food was repeatedly messed up. They were only out there because it was an easy paycheque.

I honestly have no words....

EDIT: I have been informed said person has people dropping fliers containing the same info into the mailboxes of the surrounding neighbourhood.

UPDATE:

Totally unrelated to above quote, I have been informed that the husband of an employee has been trespassed from ALL of our stores. Totally unrelated.

This is going to be awkward working with her this morning. I’m not sad about either, he’s always been an asshole, and she’s always denied what he’s done and said to us.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Firefox removing tab groups is still their biggest crime.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

I have no Gmail Folders.

Same.

Man, fuck you.

before I finally cleared them out, I was up to about 160k unread.

We, we get a lot of emails.

One of our vendors, for every action we take on their portal, we get 4 emails. Per action. They still haven't fixed this multiple years later.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Don't forget to clear your spam folders. I figure every time I clear mine maybe I'm saving some server farm somewhere the tiniest bit of space.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have 7 emails and 3 burners I used to have more
    But I have not had the time to check some of them lately so the mail kind of piled up.

But I don't know about the time something weird happened to my ebay account {ebay still will not tell me what it was} The email it was contected to still gets weird emails from stuff I have never heard of or will use

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This is our last day in this office, we're moving over the weekend. Office manager started the day with a presentation of what to do to pack our stuff.

"Make sure you remove your wifi cables from the wall."

Tech teams: *muffled giggles*

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Im currently dragging my feet to this last patrol because its been the same homeless dude the past few days and its cold as balls and i feel bad though he does not deserve such mercy

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I can't stand unread emails. I set up filters to set things to "read" if I don't need to look at them but don't want to just autodelete.
    I used to keep all of my work emails and sort them. I only recently started deleting.. I don't really need that seminar reminder for that talk I didn't go to.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    agh, hammered by my own browsing hubris

I should have gone through my 4-months worth of open tabs and bookmarked the important ones weeks ago, because my computer just crashed randomly
    and due to an unfortunate collision between the system default of "open all the shit that was open before the crash" and an automated database authentication script that pops open your browser without asking, I didn't hit the 'restore tabs' button.

I have no idea what was there. Important things, no doubt. Research papers. Hardware shopping carts. A funny video.
    All those tabs, lost, like tears in the rain.

I have 99 tabs open on my phone and I really need to get this shit under control before the exact same thing happens to me.

how do y'all function? If I get 8 tabs I start sweating

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I should have gone through my 4-months worth of open tabs and bookmarked the important ones weeks ago, because my computer just crashed randomly
    and due to an unfortunate collision between the system default of "open all the shit that was open before the crash" and an automated database authentication script that pops open your browser without asking, I didn't hit the 'restore tabs' button.

I have no idea what was there. Important things, no doubt. Research papers. Hardware shopping carts. A funny video.

I have 99 tabs open on my phone and I really need to get this shit under control before the exact same thing happens to me.

If I can't read what each tab is, I've got too many open

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Counting pinned tabs, I have 7 open right now. I'm about to close two of them.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I usually have multiple tabs open when I'm catching up on (non-work) stuff. YT videos, unread posts here, or the fuckton of articles I bookmarked to read when I have the time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2018

If I can't read what each tab is, I've got too many open

To be fair, my hundred+ tabs are usually spread between 10 to 12 windows, so.i can still read most of the titles.

minor incident on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Email filters are the light. I honestly don't know how people function without them... ESPECIALLY at work! Should be required to set that up, IMO. So tired of people saying they can't find an important email because their inbox is completely unsorted and unread. LET ME HELP YOU

• Options
    That's better than putting important documents in the trash/recycling bin and then it being deleted.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Every single top person in my school district is here in my library right now having a meeting. The Superintendent seems very chill.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    87136 unread... huh could of sworn it was higher, must have done some cleaning up recently.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    87136 unread... huh could of sworn it was higher, must have done some cleaning up recently.

zVadozb.gif

bowen on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Email filters are the light. I honestly don't know how people function without them... ESPECIALLY at work! Should be required to set that up, IMO. So tired of people saying they can't find an important email because their inbox is completely unsorted and unread. LET ME HELP YOU

I need the e-mails in my inbox, otherwise I won't read them.

I just delete the e-mails I don't need to keep around or want to read. Others I'll manually drag into the proper folder for archive storage. The rest stay in the Inbox to die a slow bit-rot death.

I will admit, there are a few mass distributed e-mail status reports from some test teams that have forced me to setup a filter because I'll get about 50-100 of those status updates per day because they all think it's how they need to keep their names in peoples minds. (Yes, I see. That's great that the latest batch of 10 widgets has successfully passed production test this hour. I don't care)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I generally don't have a bunch of tabs open (at home. At work I've got maybe a dozen or so reference pages/ tasks open) because if i don't watch/ read/ buy whatever thing now, i never will get around to it. In case i do close it and need to get back to it, i count on firefox's awesomebar to dig it out of my history.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.