As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Neither chocolate nor cinnamon are sweet, though. In fact chocolate especially is pretty bitter.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I don't even use chili powder or cayenne for chili anymore. I just mix in a small can of chipotles in adobo and a big heaping tablespoon of [black] mole paste, and those two things alone make a chili leagues better than any powdered seasoning ever did.
    seems like that would make the chili a LOT sweeter and imo weird. Mole has chocolate and cinnamon in it!

It doesn't. Neither chocolate nor cinnamon are sweet in the least. Granted, they are often paired with sugar for sweet dishes, but by themselves neither is sweet at all. In fact both are actually more bitter than sweet in their constituent forms. Beyond that, both the cocoa and cinnamon flavors are usually very faint in mole itself, mole is primarily a mixture of different chili peppers. That's what I'm using it here for, as a quick and dirty way to get the flavor profiles from many different chili peppers (ancho, guajillo, pasilla, oxacan negro) into the chili.

Though this could also be affected by the quality of mole that you have available in your neck of the woods. In Chicago we have a large hispanic population, so we get actual imports from Oaxaca rather than the ubiquitous Dona Maria (which isn't bad, just not as good).

That said, chocolate (dark) and cinnamon are amazing in savory dishes. Cinnamon is a primary flavor in a lot of savory Moroccan cuisine, and is delicious!

This mexisplaining tho :)

(23 years in Central TX!)

Mole always struck me as more cloyingly sweet/spicy/bitter, not pure chili spice + bitter, but this might have a lot to do with my lack of smell.

VishNub wrote: »
    The cayenne was brand new, as was the "chili powder" blend I used.

I used the same spice blend 2 weeks ago with notably different results!

It could be as simple as individual variation between packages, unless you're saying it was the same package both times.

same everything both times, except that:

finely diced white instead of large chopped green onion
    normal crushed tomatoes instead of fire-roasted
    93% lean beef instead of 85%.

It's a mystery!!

I gotta give this adobo / mole chili a run, I'm dead fuckin curious now :)

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    How many of you live in Cincinnati?!?!???? GTFO cinnamon

(I am contractually obligated as a Steelers fan)

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    The cayenne was brand new, as was the "chili powder" blend I used.

I used the same spice blend 2 weeks ago with notably different results!

It could be as simple as individual variation between packages, unless you're saying it was the same package both times.

same everything both times, except that:

finely diced white instead of large chopped green onion
    normal crushed tomatoes instead of fire-roasted
    93% lean beef instead of 85%.

It's a mystery!!

The fat content of the beef screams at me. Capsaicin is highly fat soluble and the leaner beef is going to leave more of it available to be perceived as heat.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    How many of you live in Cincinnati?!?!???? GTFO cinnamon

(I am contractually obligated as a Steelers fan)

i’m gonna be honest chili on spaghetti is pretty good

i am not from cincinnati though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

So this might be heresy to you, since it involves beans, but it's really just a quick and dirty variation of a classic Texas red (with beans to flesh it out), but here's my recipe.

3lbs beef chuck well browned, then cut into 2"x2" cubes (alternatively can use pork shoulder as well)
    1 extra large onion diced
    1x28oz can crushed tomatoes
    1lb dried black beans
    1x can chipotles in adobo
    2x tbsp black mole paste
    3xcups water
    salt+pepper to taste

It's pretty simple, brown the beef 3 min per side at high heat, then cut into cubes (get better browning this way rather than crowding a pan with pre-cut cubes). Add onions to deglaze and pull up fond. Add everything else into pressure cooker (optional: use immersion blender to mix up chipotles with water or tomatoes before adding). Seal up and cook for 1 hr at high pressure. Alternatively can be done in a slow cooker or on the stove just over 6+ hours if you're not in a hurry.

I do think the quality of the mole is going to play a fair bit of this here. I use the mole that's the consistency of a black, thick, gummy paste, not the ones that come in jars. Kinda like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mole-Negro-Oaxaca-Black-Juquilita/dp/B01HUC9S7Q

Edit: it's basically just this recipe fleshed out with beans and when I'm too lazy to make a proper chili paste: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/pressure-cooker-chile-con-carne-texas-red-chili-recipe.html

Simpsonia on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF39Xet-3Nk

This entire video seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen...

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i have been tempted to throw my rice cooker in the shed and make black garlic now that i have the instant pot

just not sure i won’t end up burning down my shed

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Why?

shryke wrote: »

Why?

Garlic in a warm vacuum sealed environment for several weeks in a device that clearly wasn't designed for this level of precise temperature control.

It seems like a how-to manual for creating botulism.

that aside i want a gabby in my kitchen to catch the pasta and generally say adorable things while we cook together

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Why?

Garlic in a warm vacuum sealed environment for several weeks in a device that clearly wasn't designed for this level of precise temperature control.

The risks of foodborn botulism are vastly overstated. Over the last 5 years or so, the CDC has only accounted for about an average of 20-30 or so confirmed cases of foodborn botulism per year. Hell, in one of the bigger years, 2015, there was one large outbreak from a bad batch of potato salad, and it looks like another major offender is rotten seal products.
    CDC-chart-2015-botulism-cases.jpg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    why are so many people eating seal

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Fair bit of Unknown on there too. Definitely not eating whatever that is.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's an Inuit delicacy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy

ilu chanus

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

It's an Inuit delicacy.

Not even a delicacy. It's a staple of living.

Why?

The risks of foodborn botulism are vastly overstated. Over the last 5 years or so, the CDC has only accounted for about an average of 20-30 or so confirmed cases of foodborn botulism per year. Hell, in one of the bigger years, 2015, there was one large outbreak from a bad batch of potato salad, and it looks like another major offender is rotten seal products.

Botulism is rare because it requires a very specific set of conditions. You would need to expose the food to an airless, low acid environment and hold it at a relatively low temperature. It grows best between 86 - 104 F. Sous vide cooking creates an airless environment, but the food is usually held at a temperature that's too warm for botulism to grow. The spores are usually found in underground plants.

The problem with the recipe is that it checks off the two most important boxes (underground plants and airless environment). Technically, 130 degrees would be warm enough to keep botulism in check. The problem is that dehydrators aren't sous vide machines. They weren't designed to maintain a precise temperature for long periods of time. And they definitely weren't designed for cooking food in vacuum packages, since that defeats the entire point. And all it takes is for the temperature to drop for a few hours to put everyone at risk.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It's an Inuit delicacy.

I'm more surprised that the CDC gives a shit with the government's history of shitting on natives.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hey good food thread

Mom gave me a bottle of camelina oil. It’s supposed to be good for high heat and pretty healthy as far as oils go.

Anyone use the stuff? It has an odor not dissimilar to fresh broccoli

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    Hey good food thread

Mom gave me a bottle of camelina oil. It’s supposed to be good for high heat and pretty healthy as far as oils go.

Anyone use the stuff? It has an odor not dissimilar to fresh broccoli

Is it made from actual camels?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Why?

Botulism is rare because it requires a very specific set of conditions. You would need to expose the food to an airless, low acid environment and hold it at a relatively low temperature. It grows best between 86 - 104 F. Sous vide cooking creates an airless environment, but the food is usually held at a temperature that's too warm for botulism to grow. The spores are usually found in underground plants.

The problem with the recipe is that it checks off the two most important boxes (underground plants and airless environment). Technically, 130 degrees would be warm enough to keep botulism in check. The problem is that dehydrators aren't sous vide machines. They weren't designed to maintain a precise temperature for long periods of time. And they definitely weren't designed for cooking food in vacuum packages, since that defeats the entire point. And all it takes is for the temperature to drop for a few hours to put everyone at risk.

Yeah hell no. That's not a if, that's a when. Don't fuck around with botulism, boys and girls.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

So this might be heresy to you, since it involves beans, but it's really just a quick and dirty variation of a classic Texas red (with beans to flesh it out), but here's my recipe.

3lbs beef chuck well browned, then cut into 2"x2" cubes (alternatively can use pork shoulder as well)
    1 extra large onion diced
    1x28oz can crushed tomatoes
    1lb dried black beans
    1x can chipotles in adobo
    2x tbsp black mole paste
    3xcups water
    salt+pepper to taste

It's pretty simple, brown the beef 3 min per side at high heat, then cut into cubes (get better browning this way rather than crowding a pan with pre-cut cubes). Add onions to deglaze and pull up fond. Add everything else into pressure cooker (optional: use immersion blender to mix up chipotles with water or tomatoes before adding). Seal up and cook for 1 hr at high pressure. Alternatively can be done in a slow cooker or on the stove just over 6+ hours if you're not in a hurry.

I do think the quality of the mole is going to play a fair bit of this here. I use the mole that's the consistency of a black, thick, gummy paste, not the ones that come in jars. Kinda like this: https://www.amazon.com/Mole-Negro-Oaxaca-Black-Juquilita/dp/B01HUC9S7Q

Edit: it's basically just this recipe fleshed out with beans and when I'm too lazy to make a proper chili paste: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/pressure-cooker-chile-con-carne-texas-red-chili-recipe.html

I made that Serious Eats recipe last weekend and it digging delicious. I'd never had a tomato-less chili before that dish. I wish I would have had some masa harina around though, it was real thin even after letting it simmer for about 30 minutes post cook. I ended up thickening it a little with some arrowroot but I didn't have enough of the flour to get it as thick as I'd like.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Anyone got a chimichurri recipe they recommend? I know it's a flexible thing that I'd want to tweak based on what I'm serving with but I could use a good place to start for just beef.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Anyone got a chimichurri recipe they recommend? I know it's a flexible thing that I'd want to tweak based on what I'm serving with but I could use a good place to start for just beef.

i’ve always been a fan of keeping it simple

just parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, something spicy

i’ll switch it up and use chipotle or ancho or just red pepper flakes depending on how i feel

i did 2/3 parsley and 1/3 cilantro once instead of all parsley and it worked pretty well

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

i’ve always been a fan of keeping it simple

just parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, something spicy

i’ll switch it up and use chipotle or ancho or just red pepper flakes depending on how i feel

i did 2/3 parsley and 1/3 cilantro once instead of all parsley and it worked pretty well

Some red onion or shallots (depending on what level of bite you want) never hurts either. The recipe I use has a mix of cilantro and parsley.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/wsj_dzz33Ko

Great base recipe, switch up the herbs depending on the meat.

For example with beef a blend of parsley and cilantro is what I use, usually even amounts if the meat is grilled or smoked. Maybe a sprig or two of mint. I could see Chanus addition of chipotle being especially nice with beef.

I also like to add lime juice instead of just vinegar when using it on grilled meats. That nice brighter punch you get from citrus acid over vinegar goes well with it, and also hey you're probably making mixed drinks with limes/lemons anyway if you're grilling right? Boom, ties together your friend's poorly measured out margaritas with your steak.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    well now. I just made my first batch of drop-biscuit dough with White Lily flour @Blameless Cleric @Donkey Kong @skippydumptruck I think was also a part of that conversation in [chat] about the difference in White Lily vs other flours for biscuit-making.
    Impression: needed less liquid for the same recipe I've been making for 25 years, and the batter is slightly more acidic than usual as well. really turned into the sort of thing I remember from being a kid....

This could be it, folks. Different flour really could be the thing that makes the difference between good and amazing.

That's an unfortunate name for a person.

those pizza oven thingies do look really cool but how much do i need a separate appliance dedicated just to the thing i eat like four nights a week

Hey, you can do chicken nuggets and french fries. So that's, like, 6 nights a week.

those pizza oven thingies do look really cool but how much do i need a separate appliance dedicated just to the thing i eat like four nights a week

Well what are the economics here? Let's say it saves you 3 bucks per pie, 4 times per week. Your ROI is 600/yr. Buy one now, it's paid for itself by Easter 2020.

And your pizza game should be really strong by then.

i can’t afford not to get one!

The only question now is whether one will be enough!

it is kind of funny they cooked four pizzas and couldn’t get an even heat distribution on half of them with an $800 appliance

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Hello cooking thread, I've lurked this thread for months.

Should I get a sous vide circulator during post christmas sales this year? I live alone, and while I just about adore eating (everything, and the more potent flavors the better) I'm also a sports climber who regularly starves himself to stay thin. I eat a lot of quark, vegetables, chicken, and lately salmon.

I also fucking love chocolate, pastries, desserts and sweets but uh there's not a lot of those going around when counting calories. I guess I'm just wondering if cooking very simple things without a lot of oils/butter can be worth going to sous vide for, or if I should just save my cash and keep throwing stuff into the oven.

Edit: I'm also genuinly curious if a sous vide can really make a more flavorful vanilla custard than just cooking it.

Vic_Hazard on