As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Like, all the cruft around Fallout 76 is incredible, but when you take into account it's also a widely panned game and just woof.

If this support issue is legit Fallout76 wins hands down. A lot of people think this is just an issue where people's data has been breached but it's much deeper than that. If even one person from Europe was a victim in this then Bethesda is in breach of GDPR and is subject to a $10m fine or 2% of it's revenue per breach. It's super serious stuff and could land them in really hot water.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I actually don't know if I knew the answer. Guess I never really thought about it.
    Now take this feeling, and apply it to Dan’s entire life.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Bethesda has done all this before. What possible excuse could they have for fucking up this bad?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Abby joining Jeff and Ben on the Smash quick look is a welcome thing to view this morning.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Bethesda has done all this before. What possible excuse could they have for fucking up this bad?

Honestly, when you consider the way Bethesda has continually handled things over the years with its open world titles, this was inevitable. I'm not gonna throw around the terms lazy or incompetent, but there's something systemically or culturally wrong at Bethesda and has been for awhile. Fallout 76 is simply the point where it's finally come to a head in a brutally obvious way, at several different points of the company.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I can see your point but I honestly wouldn’t know what to point to wtih respect to their cultural policies. I think they have just pushed their engine to its limits and just rushed this thing out as fast as possible.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    By cultural or systemic issues, I guess what I should say is that Bethesda has always had a problematic attitude with what they consider to be acceptable to release to the public. And it has gotten worse and less excusable as the years have gone by. It's something they're going to have to change about themselves internally, or this isn't going to get any better.

Metallikat on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I feel like they've been pretty consistent in how messed-up their games are on release. The complaints about them have just gotten louder as people perceive their games to be unevolved, yet unfixed. Which, to be fair, is a reasonable complaint, but I don't see it as a culture of unacceptable releases.

Fallout 76 feels more like the ballooning cost of games running into the "how do we make this fun?" problem of survival games. Aided by, I would guess, management that expected the game to be about as hard to make as Fallout 5 would've been.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    They also don't have much external pressure to change because pretty much everyone has just accepted that it's the way they are, and too many people are willing to buy their janky broken games. Like even with Fallout 76, the people who want this style of game in this universe will mostly be willing to put up with just about any amount of jank, unless and until it becomes completely unplayable (which in this case it does seem to be for some people).

Bugs and jank in a single player environment is its own score. However adversarial multiplayer and a persistent progression are like a 4x multiplier on that score.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Damn, it was 11pm over there when he posted that.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Looks like they must have never gotten around to redefining what Best World means.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    There's a post on the GB forums, looks like they are trying to hire a new UI/UX designer

Wonder if the new website redesign has kind of bit them in the ass (as in, in terms of people using the site vs viewing content elsewhere). I don't dislike it as much as I used to, but I think that's most due to resignation.

Like, its pretty easy to tell they don't know quite how to set up the front page when the same video will show up in 4 different spots due to the overlap in carousel buckets

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, at the very least push the videos displayed in higher up carousels at the end of the line of the following ones, so you don't keep seeing the same thing.

Re: Bethesda, ignoring the game's design problems (which sound like Sea of Thieves' "we're still looking for the fun" issue), the engine troubles sound like the problem that troubled TellTale, a huge technical dept they kept pushing forward so they didn't have to spend 6-12 month reworking the engine while not shipping anything (or shipping something small like Shelter).
    We'll likely never know thanks to Bethesda/Zenimax being violently anti-journalism about their internal processes, but I do wonder if their Zeni publishing arm is the one cracking the whip. Like, they can't have run out of money, they could subsist on Skyrim rereleases alone for another decade at this point.

Glal on
    I think Bethesda just took for granted that people tolerated their janky ass games. They literally lived in a world where not only people would make excuses/allowances for their broken ass games, but their fans would do MASSIVE fixes for them FOR FREE.

Unfortunately, this game never generated enough goodwill to get Bethesda off the hook, on top of it being their jankiest game yet (I swear someone at Bethesda went "Eh, these survival games ship broken as hell anyway" completely ignoring how they all ship in early access.)

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Finding the new podcast every Tuesday and Friday is such a hassle.

The design on mobile is really bad.

Click the video then keep clicking on the + cause I think its a more options button but nope it takes me to a premium login then I gotta go back then find the small ass "more options text"

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I would wager it's an extreme minority of people who get the podcast directly from the website, as opposed to a podcast app

Maddoc wrote: »
    I would wager it's an extreme minority of people who get the podcast directly from the website, as opposed to a podcast app

Yeah, I either use Pocket Casts or I watch the video podcast from the xbox app.

I love Giant Bomb but the site redesign isn't doing it for me yet. That's not to mention all of the new bugs it's introduced with hotkeys not really working, needing to refresh your browser to get a new video to play, etc.

I'm sure it will get better but it's not there yet.

It seems like they jumped the gun taking the site out of beta so quickly .

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Not having any show notes is a real bummer, as is losing embiggen mode. I like the rest of the site, if they can fix those two things I'll be fine with it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    On several occasions I've had things disappear from the "Latest" queue. Things that were there, but then suddenly the most recent thing in "Latest" is from a week ago. Like right now for instance, where there are several things from the last few days in other queues, but the latest thing in "Latest" for me is from six days ago. More recent things were in that queue but aren't now.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular

So assuming they’re done podcasting, they would then have the entirety of next week for studio content? Because that would be excellent.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    No, I think they were out there for 2 weeks and this was the 2nd week.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Well, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    yeah on the Beastcast they did say they ran out of time basically. don't get your hopes up for a lot of video content. be prepared for Best World part two: World Harder.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Hopefully they managed to do Hitsmas and perhaps dare I say it, a Mario Party Party...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    we all know it's just a solid week of jeff and dan playing the hell out of the red dead online beta

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    All I want for Christmas is more Hitmas.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    yeah on the Beastcast they did say they ran out of time basically. don't get your hopes up for a lot of video content. be prepared for Best World part two: World Harder.

The beast cast is last year’s beast cast.

Which is why Jeff is talking about the large number of people like it’s new.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The actual Beastcast for 12/7/18 is up now.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    LOLOLOL oh boy and I thought it was weird!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I thought it was weird that Vinny said 12/8

But none of this seemed like something I had heard before so either my memory sucks or I somehow skipped that podcast

Ben doing ads is tripping me out.

Shit, this all makes WAY more sense now :D. Made it 30 minutes in and didn’t even notice.

I made it through the entire morning version without noticing. In my defense, I was also doing some data entry at the same time.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I'm so glad I read thus thread first :)

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think I hate everything about Devil May Cry?

It's not my cup of tea either, but I hope the folks that like those type of games can find some enjoyment in the new one.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png