As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERS

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Joker will work kind of like how everyone works in Persona 4 Arena

Where your Persona has its own HP and when it drains you can't use any of your specials until it recharges

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Dr5UrfKWsAES5ln.jpg?width=771&height=547

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The last collab Joker was in, he had his hobo-knife and his shootbangs, Arsène with a Dark-spell and a debuff, and All-Out with a random thief-friend following up.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hopefully we'll get the rest of the squad as assist trophies

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Now I'm going to sit at work all day and ponder who else I want to see out of the last 4 DLC characters

Dante
    Kratos
    Scorpion
    Wonder Woman
    Lara Croft
    Someone from FFVI
    Ameterasu
    Dr. Wily
    Alucard
    Super Meat Boy
    Character from DQ11
    Tony Danza from Who's The Boss
    John Madden...

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Wait some one said something about season pass being cheap but I'm seeing it for 25$ which is still 5 per character? Do we know the cost of them individually? I'd guess 6?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Negan.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Negan.

Nah, Smash will be the fighting game that finally gets Kazuma Kiryu

dN0T6ur.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    One of the best details of Link's boss in Classic mode is
    he only takes damage on his tail

It's not easy getting back there as Link

dN0T6ur.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Negan.

Just a point of contention Negan makes no sense in Tekken and should have been John Wick

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Wait, is this out now? Because I had the game pre-ordered but it didn't appear in my list of available downloads in the store. Are there different release dates?

Edit: Nevermind I'm a blind idiot

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    man I am really into World of Light, these spirit challenges are so well done

6F32U1X.png
    goddamn I love what they've done with Link

his new bombs are so incredibly fun to set up shit with

6F32U1X.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Does the spirit type actually change anything?

I had assumed that grab spirits would make your grab better, but as far as I can tell you just get stronger if your type beats the enemy type.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So I haven't played a Smash since Brawl and this game feels slower than I remember Smash feeling? Longer animations for attacks and longer periods after an attack where you can't move. I don't dislike it, it's just taking a while to get used to. Has it just been a while or was Smash 4 the same way?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I impulse-bought this last night without ever having played a Smash game before and, it turns out, I have no idea what I'm doing. Are there any decent intro guides I should be looking at?

edited December 2018
    Lucario evaded me. Stupid Yoshi and my not being good with him

King Riptor on
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I haven't really put any time into a smash game since melee when I was a kid so I completely forgot how the controls work. Thank god they let you change them however you want. This game feels so much better with jump on B and attack/special on Y/X just like video game god intended. Using a pro controller btw and it feels perfectly fine.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I impulse-bought this last night without ever having played a Smash game before and, it turns out, I have no idea what I'm doing. Are there any decent intro guides I should be looking at?

Start with the How to Play video that's in the game. It's in the menus somewhere or it'll autoplay if you leave it at the main menu for a bit.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I would try looking up guides for smash 4 since the mechanics are largely the same - I think the art of smash series was pretty good?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    So, again, having not played since melee, wtf did they do to mario?! I go for a tornado punch and get this no damage fludd bullshit. I'm sure he is fine but they made mario feel WAY more "techy" given the cape AND fludd do no damage but are just useful tools. And I can totally see how good fludd could be for pushing away from recovery, but still! My tornadoes!

So, again, having not played since melee, wtf did they do to mario?! I go for a tornado punch and get this no damage fludd bullshit. I'm sure he is fine but they made mario feel WAY more "techy" given the cape AND fludd do no damage but are just useful tools. And I can totally see how good fludd could be for pushing away from recovery, but still! My tornadoes!

Tornado is his down air now

Dr Mario still has the tornado I believe

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    oh shit! shows what I know. I only got to play a little world of light before work. So it was mostly flailing.

Olivaw wrote: »
    So I haven't played a Smash since Brawl and this game feels slower than I remember Smash feeling? Longer animations for attacks and longer periods after an attack where you can't move. I don't dislike it, it's just taking a while to get used to. Has it just been a while or was Smash 4 the same way?

They have significantly reduced the endlag on pretty much every move in the game from 4

The #1 broad mechanical change they made is "everything is faster"

6F32U1X.png
    Oh, is there a description for how edge grab mechanics work, because i swear both myself and the computer would get close but then just teleport a last chunk to grab the ledge.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Oops uh I have no self control and I bought this and all the DLC oops

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Cello wrote: »
    Oops uh I have no self control and I bought this and all the DLC oops

Those are good decisions though

CD World Tour status:
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I played two games against the computer. Kirby both times. Won the first one but then lost the second one. I am not good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited December 2018
    Oh, is there a description for how edge grab mechanics work, because i swear both myself and the computer would get close but then just teleport a last chunk to grab the ledge.

I think there is a help built-in to the game which describes various mechanics with movies - I remember Sakurai showed them off at some tournament and we had to interpret the new ledge invincibility (and ledge grab failure after x regrabs) from it

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Ugh I wish I had a switch but I'm stuck begging for scraps of playtime from friends

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay after playing a lot last night K. Rool is definitely my front runner for new go-to dude

He hits hard as hell, has a counter and his recovery move is super useful all while being gross and weird

I love him

CYpGAPn.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man I am really bad at this game. I was fairly good at Smash 4, but I'm back to my Melee days of suckitude here.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Yoshi feels kind of awkward to me now. I might get used to it but. Hm

Don't have many unlocks yet but so far I'm really enjoying how Mario feels

I fuck up going for a spike 9 times out of 10

but that 10th time...hoo buddy that 10th time...

6F32U1X.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to get home and suck real bad at this game.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Playing through classic mode and just getting to unlock fighters at the end is a lot of fun, even with the random nature.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Played a bit of vs cpu last night and a bit of world of light, have confirmed that I don't remember how to be good at smash and I'm not sure I ever knew.

But I still remember how to do the kirby kamikaze so all good there.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So looking forward to screwing around with this with my kids tomorrow!

No clue how accurate this all is but: https://cstarleague.com/smash/news_articles/895 has a lot of breakdown info, and it let me know that "snapping to" the ledge is definitely a thing.

This discussion has been closed.