As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    For me, what an unbelievable dud of a first DLC character. Only way it could be worse is if it were some generic anime girl from a mobile game.

I've played tons of game series on many platforms, but I don't think I've even heard of "Persona." I probably would still have bought the fighter pass just for completion's sake, but I hope they don't make me regret it with more newcomers like this.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I wonder if Goku will actually end up being a DLC character.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Persona 5 is hype. I should actually finish it. Also lol at so many out-of-the-loop people. The Persona series has pretty much had a presence at every E3 and even some other conventions I've been to. It's almost kinda like not having heard of Monster Hunter before.

Also, because it's also been cross-promoted in Granblue Fantasy before:

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I enjoy the implication that if you combine Andy from Advance Wars and a Vulpix you get Tails.

Speaking of Andy..that battle against his Spirit is just the worst. I really hope there's an "immunity to explosions" Spirit or something or I don't think I'm gonna clear that anytime soon.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Acheron wrote: »
    For me, what an unbelievable dud of a first DLC character. Only way it could be worse is if it were some generic anime girl from a mobile game.

I've played tons of game series on many platforms, but I don't think I've even heard of "Persona." I probably would still have bought the fighter pass just for completion's sake, but I hope they don't make me regret it with more newcomers like this.

Persona 5 was one of the biggest RPGs of this console generation. It's hard to imagine there are that many people in your situation, who both expect to know even the deep-cut DLC characters but don't know a character from a AAA RPG from an, at minimum, large cult hit series.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Calling this now: all five DLCs are going to be Jokers.

DLC 1: Joker from Persona 5
    DLC 2: Joker from Monster Hunter
    DLC 3: Joker from Mass Effect
    DLC 4: Joker from Suikoden
    DLC 5: Walui-- jk, Joker from Batman

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Is that smashnet thing for the phones on now?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    *wakes up*

*sees game show announcement*

....I didn’t think I drank THAT much last night.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ugh I hate unlocking characters. I just want the full game

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      milski wrote: »

Persona 5 was one of the biggest RPGs of this console generation. It's hard to imagine there are that many people in your situation, who both expect to know even the deep-cut DLC characters but don't know a character from a AAA RPG from an, at minimum, large cult hit series.

Yeah, Persona has been HUGE since the PS2 in the console RPG community. If you've played an RPG in the last ten years and haven't heard of Persona you are a huge statistical anomaly, I'm afraid.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      GMaster7 wrote: »

Shouldnt one be a bunch of Xenoblade mobs?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
      klemming wrote: »
      So what's the verdict on this as an offline game? My internet is too terrible to even contemplate paying money to play online (I played a few races of Mario Kart, and even those weren't smooth), and I'll only get to play local multiplayer very, very rarely, so what's the single-player like?

I play a very significant amount of my Smash time single player and enjoy it

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
      3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
      Steam profile
    • Options
      WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »
      Winky wrote: »
      I enjoy the implication that if you combine Andy from Advance Wars and a Vulpix you get Tails.

Speaking of Andy..that battle against his Spirit is just the worst. I really hope there's an "immunity to explosions" Spirit or something or I don't think I'm gonna clear that anytime soon.

The trick is that if you just stay out of the explosions the various bombs will kill everyone for you.

• Options
      LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
      Does anyone know if you're able to have 2 people play locally while two others are online?

• Options
      Drascin wrote: »
      milski wrote: »

Yeah, Persona has been HUGE since the PS2 in the console RPG community. If you've played an RPG in the last ten years and haven't heard of Persona you are a huge statistical anomaly, I'm afraid.

It was also pretty big in the FGC!

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
      GMaster7 wrote: »

There was a Joker in Fire Emblem: Fates as well. (Though he was localised to Jakob.)

Wait... do Japanese people think Joker is a common name?

• Options
      MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
      Kirby's down b is the light.

l4lGvOw.png
      Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    • Options
      I think it’s typically the heavy

CD World Tour status:
    • Options
      Lilnoobs wrote: »
      Does anyone know if you're able to have 2 people play locally while two others are online?

Yeah there’s coop mode for online play - it matches you with other local pairs

CD World Tour status:
    • Options
      CururuCururu Registered User regular
      I've only really been able to play during my commute this morning, but the game seems great so far. I've just been poking around in the Spirit Board for now (Freebie primary spirit was Spectre Knight and I've picked up Tora and Zeke as well). My main has traditionally been Link, so I don't have to worry about unlocking someone that I'm good with, but his new kit takes a bit of getting used to. I miss being able to spam bombs all over the place, but I really like the oomph on the new bomb. Getting the detonation timing right is going to take some practice.

• Options
      BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      Played a bit of smash with CPUs this morning, they seem a lot harder compared to the Wii U CPUs. Also what do coins do if there's no trophies?

• Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Classic modes are niiiice:

Link:
      He takes up be sword against a bunch of dark or evil characters, such as Dark Samus and Ridley. His penultimate battle is Ganondorf, and his final fight is Ganon. Ganon has to be hit in his tail, just like in OOT. He also has Demise’s Lightning Skyward Strike.

Ness:
      His is called “Home To Onett”, and basically has him take a reverse trip through Earthbound locations. He starts in Magicant fighting himself. Then he ends up in New Pork City somehow before going to Fourside, Gerudo Valley (the desert outside Fourside), Luigi’s Mansion (Threed), and finally Onett, fighting Villager and Isabelle.

As a side note, Master and Crazy Hand have really stepped up their game. They have so many new moves. My favorite is the one where they make that stereotypical “movie director looking through a rectangle in his hands to set up a shot” pose, causing the arena boundaries to shrink.

Kirby:
      his is Gourmet Clash. He fights other characters known for eating a lot, and has the gimmick of both fighters starting at 30%, a bunch of healing food spawning st the start of battle, and only edible items (banana gun, Maxim Tomato, Curry) spawning. So you better face to get the food first! Penultimate fight is Dedede.

His final boss is Marx, from Kirby Superstar. And he’s every bit as wild as in his home game. He even has new moves. It’s crazy.

Pit:
      His is Serving the Goddess. Like Link, he fights a bunch of dark forces, all to the music from his home game. He fights Dark Pit midway through, and Bayonetta is his antepenultimate fight; she uses the theme of Hades. His penultimate fight is Palutena herself (with the Ruined Skyworld theme), with Dark Pit as an ally. And he appears as an ally again for the Master/Crazy hand boss fight. Neat stuff.

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      I'm in the no idea what Persona is camp so this first DLC I'm just going to pretend is a wholly original character.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

lol I love this post

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      What was the theme of Mario's Classic mode? I played it and I have no idea.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
      OK I played a bit last night and there's only like, 8 characters unlocked at the start???

I unlocked Sonic and Ness I think. Do I have to keep playing the world of light thing to unlock the rest?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    • Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

lol I love this post

Its like a reddit post really.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      OK I played a bit last night and there's only like, 8 characters unlocked at the start???

I unlocked Sonic and Ness I think. Do I have to keep playing the world of light thing to unlock the rest?

It's the original 8! You can play regular smash and they'll unlock over time, or do the world of light thing. Basically anything you do will eventually unlock more characters.

I'm really surprised how many people have seemingly never even heard of Persona. It's been a hugely popular series since the PS1 era!

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      Is Persona like a big in Japan but not so much in the west thing?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

It's actually pretty big here too, I think? Especially the last two (4 and 5). I haven't taken a poll or anything, but it feels that way to me.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
      3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
      Steam profile
    • Options
      TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
      I'm stuck at work but at least I know that smash hasn't arrived at home yet. Monday and Tuesday I took time off though... :D

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    • Options
      It was that way probably up to 3, where it also started to become big in the west

I mean it is still an anime so as big as that can be considered big in the west

CD World Tour status:
    • Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

It was that, but it exploded in popularity in the west somewhere between Persona 3 and 4. Persona 5 is one of the big three RPGs on PS4 at the moment.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
      Preliminary wiki research shows that Persona is the same as SMT, which I have heard of due to its crossover with fire emblem. Also that it's been primarily in the PlayStation ecosystem, which I've never owned (more xbox/Nintendo).

Ok, probably also some selective hearing/avoidance when it comes to the setting/aesthetics of most JRPGs.

Still not excited about whatever this guy is, but at least the series is more established than I'd realized. If everyone can get 2 or 3 out of 5 of the dlc they're excited for, that's a win, right? (Come on Doom Marine!)

• Options
      klemmingklemming Registered User regular
      Who the hell is this 'Ryu' guy? Some japanese game?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    • Options
      TairuTairu Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      We were running the game's launch last night and when they announced Joker it got a huge pop from the audience. Honestly I have no idea if they can go up in hype from here, definitely not 4 more times.

Tairu on
    • Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      You know, Persona!

217526016_JgyoA-700x500.jpg

• Options
      Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
      Classic mode has UNIQUE boss fights?!?! DAMN.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    • Options
      ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
      Hey does anyone know the answer to the following questions:

How many people can play in an online game at once (is it up to 8?)
      Can one switch connect with multiple local players into an online match (SO like, Bob + Bob2, Jane420, Cindy69)?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
      Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    • Options
      NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
      With the new Marvel Ultimate Alliance game, we could get Dr.Doom or something added to Smash.

This discussion has been closed.