As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Game Awards 2018] Habemus doritos papem.

1161718192022»

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The Outer Worlds tidbits. This game sounds really good!
    The Outer Worlds isn’t exactly steampunk, but its universe is filled with a lot of clunky technology and its environments feature a lot of heavy cables and piping.
    This is by far my favorite kind of sci-fi aesthetic.

The debuff system where you pick different phobias for your character sounds interesting too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wait, The Outer Worlds is gonna be on PS4?

Weird!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The Outer Worlds tidbits. This game sounds really good!
    The Outer Worlds isn’t exactly steampunk, but its universe is filled with a lot of clunky technology and its environments feature a lot of heavy cables and piping.
    This is by far my favorite kind of sci-fi aesthetic.

The debuff system where you pick different phobias for your character sounds interesting too.

Yeah I got a, "If Fallout's world hadn't killed itself this is what their future might've looked like" vibe.

Which I am way down for.

edit- Oh man! Dialogue system?! "Dumb" responses?! Talk your way out of fights?! Multiple solutions to quests?! A weapon that shrinks your enemies?!

Obsidian have you been reading my dream diary?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I could not handle God of War’s particular brand of macho bullshit

Which is funny because that's exactly why I hated the previous God of War games. This one was completely different and I adored it.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    urahonky wrote: »

Which is funny because that's exactly why I hated the previous God of War games. This one was completely different and I adored it.

It's also a little funny juxtaposed with the DmC talk where Dante's first scene is "YEA LET'S FUCK SOME HOOKERS!"

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

It's also a little funny juxtaposed with the DmC talk where Dante's first scene is "YEA LET'S FUCK SOME HOOKERS!"

And I preferred that Dante to the original... What the hell is wrong with me? lol

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I mean, part of God of War this time around was Kratos learning to temper his macho bullshit and interact with his son in the right ways. I thought it was fantastic and I only ever played the first of the other God of War games.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm genuinely confused. God of War has ... like zero macho bullshit in it? Kratos doesn't suffer fools, and he's teaching his son how to survive in a harsh world, and that strength is not an excuse to be a fucking asshole. Maybe I'm forgetting something from early in the game?

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    I'm genuinely confused. God of War has ... like zero macho bullshit in it? Kratos doesn't suffer fools, and he's teaching his son how to survive in a harsh world, and that strength is not an excuse to be a fucking asshole. Maybe I'm forgetting something from early in the game?

I think that he's talking about the originals vs this one. If I hadn't watched someone stream the new God of War I would have completely skipped it as well because the old games were eye rolling.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

Weird!

I thought it was odd too, when I saw it announced, so I did some research. This game is being published by Take-Two and, seeing as how it is releasing next year, was in development for some time before Microsoft purchased the company. I would assume anything they put out after this, published by Microsoft, won't arrive on the PS4.

Found the take-two news here: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/12/06/the-outer-worlds-announced/

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yeah I see no reason they couldn't do it. I wanna say I even heard it's semi easy to port from PS3 to Switch due to similar architecture? But maybe I'm misremembering.

CPU architecture is very different, but the amount of polys each GPU can push isn't too far off. They don't have to spend time downgrading the game to get it to run is key.

• Options

I think that she's talking about the originals vs this one. If I hadn't watched someone stream the new God of War I would have completely skipped it as well because the old games were eye rolling.

I actually like the old God of Wars

Those games do not expect me to take them seriously, I feel

God of War (2018) very clearly wants to be an Important Video Game, and I just have zero time for asshole macho dad Kratos

• Options

I think that she's talking about the originals vs this one. If I hadn't watched someone stream the new God of War I would have completely skipped it as well because the old games were eye rolling.

God of War (2018) very clearly wants to be an Important Video Game, and I just have zero time for asshole macho dad Kratos

Uh. It is a seriously good game and story. Like, probably one of the best father/son depictions out there.

• Options
    Personally I thought the gameplay was rather shit, and the tone of the game and the characters in it were not compelling me to suffer through it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    New God of War Kratos-dad is still macho bullshit man, but it's now framed as a character flaw that keeps him from having a healthy relationship with his son and perpetuates the problem to the next generation instead of framing it as cool and good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

The original God of Wars were fantastic. The cinematic camera alone put them far above similar titles and the sense of scale was breathtaking.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Weird!

I suspect that Obsidian already had this in the works when Microsoft approached them and as far as they've said for any currently existing publishing arrangements they still can fulfil them, meaning if they had this bankrolled for multiplatform release before the buyout then Microsoft is fine letting them do it

re: the awards, I had a decent time watching it but it just seemed overlong. A number of factors leading to my feelings on the issue: I didn't have much of a dog in the GOTY fight. I don't care much for the God of Wars, the Red Dead Redemptions, the Spidermans or what-have-you. I didn't dislike any of them but I bounced off them when I had the opportunity to play them and never really looked back. Also, the 2017 awards were much, much more competitive! Yeah "games are getting better and better" but the fact is that it just wasn't as loaded as last year and it really felt like this time around there were a smaller handful of games stealing the limelight for most of it and the categories which did have a good variety only got perfunctory exposure.

Decent segue into what I think was also a problem, which was the fact that the time and pacing allocated to its categories just got a little weird for my taste. We've already talked about how they spent way too much time brushing off categories which should have gotten more screen time, but this year there were quite a few head-scratchers. I'm not totally against what they did for the Best RPG category though - having Keighley interview the winners gives them some fair attention and directs the flow of their acceptance speech, but last year's awards just had better pacing overall. I'm pretty disappointed in that they short-shifted spots like Best Student game (which they gave a full timeslot in 2017) and even Industry Icon didn't get nearly as much time as it did last year (I mean, adorable elderly developer speech aside). "Global Gaming Citizen" turned out to be a tie-in for some of that facebook money which is funny, but I'm really happy that they gave an organisation like AbleGamers some time to shine.
    Games for Impact was noticeably absent. I know people have problems with how vague that category sounds, but I enjoy the intent of giving exposure to games that may not necessarily fit comfortably into traditional categories but still have cultural importance. (Again, I think it's another symptom of how this year was not as competitive across the board)

I have nothing but great things to say about the music performances this year. They figured that shit out last year, they nailed it this year: random bands <<< actual videogame music at the Game Awards. Good get Keighley, living out his dream of having his own theme song composed by Hans Zimmer lol

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    seeing the composer for celeste's absolute joy at getting to perform part of the soundtrack (alongside pieces from each other GOTY candidate) during the show was one of my favorite parts of the show, honestly

and yeah, there's no way obsidian hasn't been working on the outer worlds for years to have a 2019 release date.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

The original God of Wars were fantastic. The cinematic camera alone put them far above similar titles and the sense of scale was breathtaking.

It was insanely cool to teenage me booting up the PS2 and seeing that profile shot in the main menu, hitting new game, and the menu fades, background changes, but the profile's still there and we just GO, no loading, intro cutscene immediately starts. And what a fucking intro.

"The gods of Olympus have abandoned me. Now there is no hope."

"AND so Kratos cast himself off the highest mountain in all of Greece. After ten years of suffering, ten years of endless nightmares, it would finally come to an end. Death would be his escape from madness."

Tone set.

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Games for Impact went to Celest in a very off-handed mention when they won a different award.

Seems like if you made a category specificly for "Hey, these games probably won't get attention in other categories against big AAA games, so we made them their own category" and then not actuallyg ive that category any attention is certainly a bold choice.

Also super bummed Waypoint didn't run a stream over this. Austin mentioned something on twitter how he liked watching it at home in pajamas better than having to be "on" at the office for three hours, so good on him.

• Options
    I hope some enterprising individual reedits the TGAs down to just the award nominees and acceptance speeches. I'm very curious to see how long it'd clock in at.

Gotta be under 20 minutes at least I'd think.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Games for Impact went to Celest in a very off-handed mention when they won a different award.

Seems like if you made a category specificly for "Hey, these games probably won't get attention in other categories against big AAA games, so we made them their own category" and then not actuallyg ive that category any attention is certainly a bold choice.

Also super bummed Waypoint didn't run a stream over this. Austin mentioned something on twitter how he liked watching it at home in pajamas better than having to be "on" at the office for three hours, so good on him.

That's pretty much the entire event summed up. Shit, God of War off-handedly won a best in *genre* award when they announced game direction I think. Can't let the actual ceremony get in the way of a mini E3 conference.

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I honestly think Game Direction is an even vaguer category than Games for Impact.

Austin's bit over Blizzard's acceptance speech last year ("Hahaha GET BACK TO WORK." Deadpans straight into the camera) had me rolling

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Yeah, Swery (of Deadly Premonition fame) had his game The Missing nominated in the category and was super super pissed they didn't even announce who all the nominees were and basically ignored the category. It was a super shitty thing for them to do.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Seems Game Informer got a lil' extra coverage on some high profile games from the show. Rage 2, Outer Worlds, FarCry, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DHA_ZLuAk

Hadn't Obsidian pitched MS a game with a rewind feature a while ago?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    An awards show that has an abysmal format that emphasizes the profit generation? That's never happened before.