As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Persona 1 & 2 got such a lukewarm reception in the west that we only got the second half of Persona 2. Meanwhile Persona 3 got two upgraded re-releases, two spinoffs, some anime, and probably gave the SMT franchise as a whole an extra kick.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    We were running the game's launch last night and when they announced Joker it got a huge pop from the audience. Honestly I have no idea if they can go up in hype from here, definitely not 4 more times.

Part of the hype is that it sets the stage for the rest of the dlc, where previously “It’s all Nintendo’s choices” could mean some disappointing things

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »
    I've only really been able to play during my commute this morning

Holy shit, this is actually the first time (or feels like the first time) it's hitting me that this thing is portable. Sure, Smash 3DS was portable, but I wouldn't call that a console-quality experience. But the fact that I can take THIS amount of content to my in-laws, or on vacation, or anywhere?! AHHH

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Do people generally know/get excited about every character included or announced for Smash? I feel like I have pretty broad game exposure and don't know/could not care less about a good portion of the Smash roster. But that's totally cool, because other people have entirely different sets of characters they care about. That's one of the things that makes the game great?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I didn’t know who Marth was in melee

I was very excited when he unlocked because “She looks cool”

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know the answer to the following questions:

How many people can play in an online game at once (is it up to 8?)
    Can one switch connect with multiple local players into an online match (SO like, Bob + Bob2, Jane420, Cindy69)?

Dunno about the first, but with the second, you can have two people locally connect online to play a 2v2 against another group.

I don't know if there's more than that, but there's at least that.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am surprised it's Joker and not Morgana

latest?cb=20180115035815&path-prefix=protagonist

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Tairu wrote: »
    We were running the game's launch last night and when they announced Joker it got a huge pop from the audience. Honestly I have no idea if they can go up in hype from here, definitely not 4 more times.

Hesitant to do this because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, but.... while you're probably 100% right, it is theoretically POSSIBLE to go up in hype from here.

#1: Joker
    #2: Bram Stoker
    #3: Al Roker
    #4: Professor Oaker
    #5: DBZ's Goker

Edit: Showker me your moves

Edit2: What I was actually going to try to type before getting derailed was a legit step-up hype scale. Which would probably be....
    #1: Joker
    #2: Crash Bandicoot
    #3: Doom Marine
    #4: Sakurai
    #5: Waluigi

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    If anyone has found Zero Suit Samus in World of Light, can you point me to the general direction I need to go to unlock her? Not that I can necessarily get there now (also fuck that Rayman spirit), but it would be nice to know what corner of the map I'm working towards. I assume it's near the bottom somewhere since I kinda remember that being space or something?

Random side note, Buzz Buzz from Earthbound maybe one of my favorite spirit fights so far.
    It's a tiny Mr. Game and Watch that literally dies in one hit. It made me laugh so hard.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Shaq from Shaq Fu? Because, why not.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Make some impossible cross-studio deals, get Kratos and Aloy in there.
    Oh, and the Doom Slayer.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    It's so weird, I never knew that the Smash and Persona fanbases had such a relatively small overlap that so many of you guys haven't even heard of it. I mean, Persona even has a series of fighting game spin-offs that are relatively well regarded afaik.

Trust me, for the people who are fans of both series, this is the dopest shit ever.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So Sora, Viewtiful Joe, Ribbon Girl, and a Prinny as the remaining DLC characters. Waluigi gets added as a stage boss

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Classic mode has UNIQUE boss fights?!?! DAMN.

For a given value of “unique”. I’m fairly certain that each boss in classic is also featured in World of Light. Still, irs really neat.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Persona 5 is hype. I should actually finish it. Also lol at so many out-of-the-loop people. The Persona series has pretty much had a presence at every E3 and even some other conventions I've been to. It's almost kinda like not having heard of Monster Hunter before.

Also, because it's also been cross-promoted in Granblue Fantasy before:

Persona isn't as ubiquitous as you think it is.

No one in line with me to pick up Smash last night knew what it was either.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    So Sora, Viewtiful Joe, Ribbon Girl, and a Prinny as the remaining DLC characters. Waluigi gets added as a stage boss

Sora I feel like has an actual shot now

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Does anyone have a count on how many unique bosses there are in the game? Probably should put in spoiler tags.

• Options
    Persona 5 is hype. I should actually finish it. Also lol at so many out-of-the-loop people. The Persona series has pretty much had a presence at every E3 and even some other conventions I've been to. It's almost kinda like not having heard of Monster Hunter before.

This is probably exactly why they did it. The Persona series is about to get a nice bump.

This does make me really hope they do an indie for one of the DLC characters. I think Hollow Knight would be pretty believable considering its Switch sales.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I was really suprised at this dlc character reveal at first because I thought this was the game where characters shoot themselves in the head to summon a creature. Turns out that was only in one of the games and not in 5.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

In the sense that the net is cast very wide for newcomers, yes.

But we can’t forget that Square is being weirdly stingy with content. If we couldn’t even get One-Winged Angel for the Midgar stage, I’m very doubtful of Sora’s prospects.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Does anyone have a count on how many unique bosses there are in the game? Probably should put in spoiler tags.

I don’t know them all, but I do know a few from what I’ve played or heard of:
    Master and Crazy Hand from Smash Bros
    Marx from Kirby Superstar
    Giga Bowser from Smash Bros Melee
    Ganon from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Galleom from smash Bros Brawl
    Balder from Bayonetta

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    No idea who this joker is, but the reveal is exciting because i love it when characters come out of left field, and it opens up the possibilities for the rest of the future dlc characters.

I never played a Persona game and I should correct that.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »

In the sense that the net is cast very wide for newcomers, yes.

But we can’t forget that Square is being weirdly stingy with content. If we couldn’t even get One-Winged Angel for the Midgar stage, I’m very doubtful of Sora’s prospects.

Squares problem is so many people
    jointly own their legacy content they hardly even know themselves

With Sora, “all they have to do” is get Disney on board

We already know Shimomura is down, which also holds true if they wanted to get Geno

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

The monster hunter comparison was well chosen. I bet most people on a random line wouldn't know what monster hunter was as well. They're similar series in reach, really.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Hey wait a sec...

WHERE IS MY PIRANHA PLANT??!!!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Piranha plant is gonna be released early next year some time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Super excited to pick this up after work today. Melee was hugely influential in my life, but I haven't been into Smash much since then. I can play this with a GC controller with a special adapter, right?

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Super excited to pick this up after work today. Melee was hugely influential in my life, but I haven't been into Smash much since then. I can play this with a GC controller with a special adapter, right?

Yarp

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Cururu wrote: »
    I've only really been able to play during my commute this morning

Holy shit, this is actually the first time (or feels like the first time) it's hitting me that this thing is portable. Sure, Smash 3DS was portable, but I wouldn't call that a console-quality experience. But the fact that I can take THIS amount of content to my in-laws, or on vacation, or anywhere?! AHHH

Yeah, it's pretty great 8-) . I did the same thing with the 3DS release, but this is much nicer.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Ok, this guy in particular can go to hell.
    wbp1ck1gjlsx.jpg

This fight is insane...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Ahhhh the most exciting thing for me about Joker is that we’ll get P5 music in this. Rivers in the Desert plz Sakurai

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I lost out to Zelda as Ness, who knows how long I will have to wait to unlock her again.

I started to play world of light. Probably one of my favorite single player smash game out of all of them. In other news, I've been playing for 2 hours now on the switch controller and I have the feeling I'm well on my way to having blisters on my thumbs.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I uhh... I lost unlocking Jigglypuff

I accept my shame

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I lost quite a few unlock fights, but that was mostly because I was using characters like Fox and Ness who I have absolutely no idea how to play.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    I just went down to the ice climbers. Had one of them left with over 100% damage and I still got dropped.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I lost quite a few unlock fights, but that was mostly because I was using characters like Fox and Ness who I have absolutely no idea how to play.

Yeah that's usually why I lost some of them. I lost out on Zelda, Bowser and one or two others I think.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Are the Ice Climbers cool? Can you still de-sync them? Is wave-dashing/ SHFFL / etc still around?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Are the Ice Climbers cool? Can you still de-sync them?

How could you contemplate doing this to dear Nana?! Jesus H man

GMaster7 on
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    I uhh... I lost unlocking Jigglypuff

I accept my shame

No shame; she’s tough.

• Options
    First time I tried unlocking Jiggles she sleep killed me. Ultimate disrespect.

This discussion has been closed.