As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Alex Acosta is the Secretary of Labor, fwiw.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Breaking news from CNN...

John Kelly expected to resign soon.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    John Kelly has been resigning "Soon" for the past year. He's been checked out as the actual chief of staff for months and has probably just been saving his official departure to be used as a means to distract from a potential big Mueller news day.

So he's either going to go out today, or he'll be gone the same day as Muellers first report.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    While I agree, the article says the two have stopped talking.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Its not the first to do so. The first we heard of him just not doing his job anymore was months ago. An article on how he just shows up, goes to the gym, then does whatever he wants and just doesn't give a shit. He hasn't been a functioning chief of staff since probably June or July.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Supposedly Trump tried to fire Kelly previously and he just said no, then kept coming to the White House anyway.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Supposedly Trump tried to fire Kelly previously and he just said no, then kept coming to the White House anyway.

And because it's a known fact that Trump, despite actually having the power to do so, is such a fucking craven coward when it comes to in-person confrontation, Kelly has kept his job for another 5+ months. Because there's noone above Kelly with the authority to fire him on Trump's behalf.

If his supporters could see what a feckless wuss Trump is, they'd abandon him in droves.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to start doing this.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Isn’t this basically what Rosenstein did?

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

Somebody must have stolen his red swingline stapler.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

And because it's a known fact that Trump, despite actually having the power to do so, is such a fucking craven coward when it comes to in-person confrontation, Kelly has kept his job for another 5+ months. Because there's noone above Kelly with the authority to fire him on Trump's behalf.

If his supporters could see what a feckless wuss Trump is, they'd abandon him in droves.

ehh they still love the racism

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Kelly is out, but Irish public broadcaster RTE News reports that Barr is in.

Not a surprise since he was mentioned over the past few days. Also Trump nominated his new ambassador to the UN. She's a Fox News anchor because of course she is. From political news website The Hill.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Barr is up for AG not Chief of Staff

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Barr is up for AG not Chief of Staff

Sorry yes I meant he's in as in he got the AG job, not that he got the Chief of Staff job. I honestly have no clue who the next Chief of Staff will be. Probably Ivanka.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Trump really can't stay consistent for a single sentence, can he?
    "I did not know him until recently, when I was going through the process of looking at people," Mr Trump said. "He was my first choice from day one."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

ehh they still love the racism

Congress knows what he is, and he yells at them from time to time on top of that.
    But he gives them cover to do what they want and anyone who turns against him would be cast out by the tribe. So unless, like, everyone walks out on him at once, it's not happening.
    yay, collective action problems.

Commander Zoom on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Barr is probably woh Mitch told Trump to pick

he's a 100% old guard Republican choice

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Barr still has to get confirmed

• AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I don't doubt he will be confirmed, and honestly I am just relived a trump lackey isn't going to be in the position, about the best we can hope for I think.

Alexandier on
    Atomika wrote: »
    Barr still has to get confirmed

Sadly, I figure that's a done deal already. Unless he's even more compromised and unqualified than Whittaker was, I don't see how it fails.

I think Whittaker would have passed confirmation if Trump had of put him up.

I don't have a low* opinion of the current or future Senate.

* A high opinion hasn't even been on the table since McConnell took the Senate.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I just hope, that Barr gets confirmed, has a look into what Mueller has found - and promptly recuses himself from everything in the investigation for whatever reason.

Just to fuck with Trump.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I just hope, that Barr gets confirmed, has a look into what Mueller has found - and promptly recuses himself from everything in the investigation for whatever reason.

Just to fuck with Trump.

About that:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/politics/william-barr-attorney-general-trump.html#click=https://t.co/HTGKSihak6
    In some of those conversations, Mr. Trump has also repeatedly asked whether the next pick would recuse himself from overseeing the special counsel investigation into whether his campaign conspired with Russia in its interference in the 2016 election, several people said. Mr. Sessions recused himself early in his tenure, souring his relationship with Mr. Trump, who wanted a loyalist managing the inquiry.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I only want to be investigated by people unquestioningly loyal to me!

That's totally ethical!

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So on the one hand Barr wasn't around for the campaign and Russia stuff so it is sorta questionable if he should recuse himself or not. If he should based on being appointed by Trump then absolutely anybody should recuse themselves from it.

Of course, Trump had to remove all doubt he should recuse himself by explicitly asking if Barr would recuse themselves.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not trusting John Kelly news dude has been just about to quit since he got there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Will he recuse himself from the many Hillary Clinton investigations he will have?

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Just to fuck with Trump.

About that:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/politics/william-barr-attorney-general-trump.html#click=https://t.co/HTGKSihak6
    In some of those conversations, Mr. Trump has also repeatedly asked whether the next pick would recuse himself from overseeing the special counsel investigation into whether his campaign conspired with Russia in its interference in the 2016 election, several people said. Mr. Sessions recused himself early in his tenure, souring his relationship with Mr. Trump, who wanted a loyalist managing the inquiry.

That is why I came up with the idea. Because Trump of course has already asked him repeatedly if he'd recuse himself.

I have no idea, if Barr has any legit reason to recuse himself or if he is far enough removed from that shitshow to not have any reason for recusal.

It would be so epically funny though.

That Trump is asking him if he'll recuse himself is like maddingly stupid. Like Sessions recused because he was directly connected to the thing they were investigating? Its not like a blanket thing your attorney general does?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    John Kelly is always 3 days till retirement

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

I feel like he walked in after hearing all the stories, was like "It can't be that bad". Then he saw it was and immediately tried to resign, staffers clinging to his arms going 'no, please don't leave us, for God's sake think of the country'... and it's basically been like that ever since.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Also Trump nominated his new ambassador to the UN. She's a Fox News anchor because of course she is. From political news website The Hill.

In some ways there are few things more insane about the Trump administration than the idea he has that Fox News people should hold actual government positions. He hasn't just drunk the Kool-Aid when it comes to the party's own propaganda, he's appointed the Kool-Aid to the ruling council. It's such a fundamental error in how you're supposed to run an authoritarian regime that it's very revealing of how, for Trump and his generation of Republicans, it isn't about policy (even the horrible racist policy) as much as it is about the lies and propaganda, the fantasy worldview of evil Democrats and constant persecution, the stance of being for the good guys and not the bad guys. What began as a way to use a certain message to regain power has now become the power itself, has become the goal. It's 1984 if Winston and the rest of the Ministry of Truth were running the Party and the country because they liked cutting things out of newspapers. It's distracted boyfriend Trump looking at Fox News while girlfriend The Power of the Office stares in annoyance. It's fucking crazy and it's apparently what happens when you spend 30 years as a party gradually getting high on your own supply.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That Trump is asking him if he'll recuse himself is like maddingly stupid. Like Sessions recused because he was directly connected to the thing they were investigating? Its not like a blanket thing your attorney general does?

Absolutely stupid, because now they are being asked about whether or not they would recuse themselves before they are even selected....ensuring that anyone that gets picked SHOULD recuse themselves once they get into the job.

spool32 wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »

I feel like he walked in after hearing all the stories, was like "It can't be that bad". Then he saw it was and immediately tried to resign, staffers clinging to his arms going 'no, please don't leave us, for God's sake think of the country'... and it's basically been like that ever since.

Nah he was already in the admin as the head of DHS? I want to say. And he's a mega racist shit weasel, so like he was probably "I can get the racist reforms we need pushed through" and so far concentration camps for kids, gassing toddlers and generally being super racist has gone through on schedule.

All wins for John Kelly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2018
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Also Trump nominated his new ambassador to the UN. She's a Fox News anchor because of course she is. From political news website The Hill.

In some ways there are few things more insane about the Trump administration than the idea he has that Fox News people should hold actual government positions. He hasn't just drunk the Kool-Aid when it comes to the party's own propaganda, he's appointed the Kool-Aid to the ruling council. It's such a fundamental error in how you're supposed to run an authoritarian regime that it's very revealing of how, for Trump and his generation of Republicans, it isn't about policy (even the horrible racist policy) as much as it is about the lies and propaganda, the fantasy worldview of evil Democrats and constant persecution, the stance of being for the good guys and not the bad guys. What began as a way to use a certain message to regain power has now become the power itself, has become the goal. It's 1984 if Winston and the rest of the Ministry of Truth were running the Party and the country because they liked cutting things out of newspapers. It's distracted boyfriend Trump looking at Fox News while girlfriend The Power of the Office stares in annoyance. It's fucking crazy and it's apparently what happens when you spend 30 years as a party gradually getting high on your own supply.

I mean, Trump is just a Fox News viewer who the base elected. It's why he beat the pants off his opposition in the primary. Because he spoke the base's language. (and because he was rich and thus got to catapult past the normal process of working one's way up through the establishment party infrastructure).

Of course he's putting Fox News people in positions of power. That's what his politics is. What those people have told him. He believes in it the same way your (hypothetical) old grandpa who spends all day on the couch watching Fox News does.

And yeah, the power and the us-vs-them has become the goal because it's just white identity politics. That's what Fox News sells.

shryke on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I imagine the day someone told Kelly Trump wanted him to leave, Kelly's exact words were "I'm not going anywhere until that little bitch fires me to my face", and everyday since is just him proving his point.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i assume someone told trump that barr was the guy who helped bush hand out pardons like candy to clean up after iran-contra, and it was a done deal from there

Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I imagine the day someone told Kelly Trump wanted him to leave, Kelly's exact words were "I'm not going anywhere until that little bitch fires me to my face", and everyday since is just him proving his point.

Yeah, everything we know of him says he's a chest-beating macho dick-swinger type, so that's probably pretty close to the truth. If Trump isn't "man enough" to push him out, he won't go.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Yeah, everything we know of him says he's a chest-beating macho dick-swinger type, so that's probably pretty close to the truth. If Trump isn't "man enough" to push him out, he won't go.

To be fair, he has a point.

Not sure if this is the place to put it (because former Cabinet), or the Foreign Policy thread (because SecState), or the Mueller thread (because the last third of the article, and that's where all this shit ends up).

https://nypost.com/2018/12/07/tillerson-trump-had-to-be-talked-out-of-taking-illegal-actions/

So, looks like Tillerson has a book coming out. I couldn't see mention of it in the article, but usually that's the reason a former staffer decides "Fuck it, time to burn the bridges".

There's nothing earth-shatteringly new, but it's interesting to see someone who faded out of public service decide to confirm a lot of shit that has mostly been "unnamed sources" until now.

Quick summary
    - Trump tried to do illegal things and had to be talked out of it. Unclear if he didn't know about the illegality, or if he knew and didn't care.
    - Trump doesn't like to read briefings or get details, prefers "instinct".
    - Tillerson absolutely believes Russian meddling.

Interesting to see him step up, and try to put himself on the "right side of history", but sorry Rex, you're nine months too late on that. You needed to be saying this before/during/immediately after you were fired.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is the place to put it (because former Cabinet), or the Foreign Policy thread (because SecState), or the Mueller thread (because the last third of the article, and that's where all this shit ends up).

https://nypost.com/2018/12/07/tillerson-trump-had-to-be-talked-out-of-taking-illegal-actions/

So, looks like Tillerson has a book coming out. I couldn't see mention of it in the article, but usually that's the reason a former staffer decides "Fuck it, time to burn the bridges".

There's nothing earth-shatteringly new, but it's interesting to see someone who faded out of public service decide to confirm a lot of shit that has mostly been "unnamed sources" until now.

Quick summary
    - Trump tried to do illegal things and had to be talked out of it. Unclear if he didn't know about the illegality, or if he knew and didn't care.
    - Trump doesn't like to read briefings or get details, prefers "instinct".
    - Tillerson absolutely believes Russian meddling.

Interesting to see him step up, and try to put himself on the "right side of history", but sorry Rex, you're nine months too late on that. You needed to be saying this before/during/immediately after you were fired.

That explains Trump's tweet today.

This discussion has been closed.