As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] My Better Brexit Deal Goes To Another School

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    tfw priti patel suggests using food shortages as a threat

tfw priti patel says literally anything

nog6qgje5o84.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I always thought Padma was the better Patel

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can see lots of Leave voters thinking yeah sure threaten Ireland that'll teach 'em.

Because they're morons.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't know about that "Negotiations didn't go well" bit. They went as everybody who wasn't deluded expected them to go. The EU literally holds all the leverage in the negotiation as by declaring they're leaving the UK has already triggered all the adjustment costs for government/business that would be the big impact to the EU. The EU already spun up their research/negotiation teams and business has started to move all their financial stuff away from London and their physical sourcing from UK locations. Meanwhile the UK needs to have like 50 different areas of trade treaties worked out or they become a third world country and start rationing insulin and other medicines.

While the Tories didn't do a good job negotiating I don't think they did a bad job given the circumstances of the negotiation. The atrocious starting position was entirely their own fault though so this is somewhat a matter of where you set the goal posts on what is included in negotiation.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Stellar Swift reference from this Sunday Times reporter:

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I don't know about that "Negotiations didn't go well" bit. They went as everybody who wasn't deluded expected them to go. The EU literally holds all the leverage in the negotiation as by declaring they're leaving the UK has already triggered all the adjustment costs for government/business that would be the big impact to the EU. The EU already spun up their research/negotiation teams and business has started to move all their financial stuff away from London and their physical sourcing from UK locations. Meanwhile the UK needs to have like 50 different areas of trade treaties worked out or they become a third world country and start rationing insulin and other medicines.

While the Tories didn't do a good job negotiating I don't think they did a bad job given the circumstances of the negotiation. The atrocious starting position was entirely their own fault though so this is somewhat a matter of where you set the goal posts on what is included in negotiation.

Part of the problem with the present debate is that:
    - the government did a shit job of negotiating; and
    - this is the best available outcome

Are not, in fact, mutually exclusive statements, no matter how much some (looking at you, Labour) want this to be the case

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Don't we have nuclear weapons? We don't we use them to get some favourable concessions?
    (God, an MP has probably suggested this, haven't they?)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

priti patel is one of those people who i remember thinking oh thats nice there are some non old white dude conservative mps then 3 seconds later oh shes a fucking lunatic

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Stellar Swift reference from this Sunday Times reporter:

Is she threatening the RoI? NI? Both?
    At least cannibalism is a solution to hunger. Does she have any hot takes on what to do when the UK runs out of antibiotics?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

priti patel is one of those people who i remember thinking oh thats nice there are some non old white dude conservative mps then 3 seconds later oh shes a fucking lunatic

Are there any Tories under 50 that aren't clown shoes? This is a topic that we keep circling around to with new political developments but it bears repeating just in case people are tempted to think not being old white and male makes you naturally wise and progressive by default, the young Tories are far worse than the old ones.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

Are there any Tories under 50 that aren't clown shoes? This is a topic that we keep circling around to with new political developments but it bears repeating just in case people are tempted to think not being old white and male makes you naturally wise and progressive by default, the young Tories are far worse than the old ones.

heidi allen isnt awful and has been quite consistent in trying to address some of the weaknesses of universal credit in various committees

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Priti Patel is really, really, scarily right wing

And pretty incompetent

• Options
    something interesting: mariana mazzucatto, a ucl economist who has had a lot of influence on the ippr and current labour policy, also seems to have been talking to aoc et al

the streams are crossing...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

heidi allen isnt awful and has been quite consistent in trying to address some of the weaknesses of universal credit in various committees

Justine Greening is generally okay too.

There's definitely a handful of exceptions to the rule, but they do seem to make the rule itself even more glaringly obvious.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    I'm sorry Britain, I really don't get this. I know the US isn't much better but why is your government pushing to leave when they clearly don't have a clue? Why was article 50 invoked when you didn't have a plan? Instead of leave or stay, shouldn't the debate have been about a specific leave plan versus staying? You know, to prevent vauge promises that can't be kept?

in summary,

There have been a large element MPs (of both parties) that has wanted to leave the EU for the last forty years but there was little public support for it so they had to keep quiet.

Then the financial crisis of 2008 happened, unfortunately, this made a lot of people worse off and it caused a lot of anger towards the "rich". Who they saw as the cause and against the government, who were forced to help the banking sector. There was also the Syrian crisis, which brought a lot of refugees to the EU. This alarmed some people in the UK as they thought that Britain was being flooded. Giving rise to nationalist and anti-immigrant feeling. None of these things were new in the UK but they were stronger now than they had been since the seventies.

This was the chance the anti EU groups was waiting for and they had little trouble harnessing this anger for their own ends. A political party was on the rise. UKIP were seen as the "respectable" party for anti-immigration and managed to gain a lot of support. This caused panic in the government, especially the tories. UKIP had not yet won an election but they were taking votes away from the conservatives and the tories were worried about losing power.

While UKIP was a seperate party, they had plently of allies within the conservatives. Fearing a split, the prime minister did a deal. Where he would call a referendum on the EU question if they won the election. In the first of many miscalculations, the prime minister assumed there would be ahung parliment and the referendum would not happen. Anyway, the referendum happened and the rest is history.

However it didn't really solve anything. The anti EU segment of the government almost immediately pushed to start the process of leaving, citing the will of the people. Fearing a split, the government involved article 50 before they were ready. Negotiations with the EU did not go well with sticking points on almost every policy. Forcing the government to accept a fairly bad deal for the UK and nowhere near what they were hoping for.

Now the government has backed itself into a wall and pretty much anything it does will make someone unhappy.

I think the more direct answer to the question being asked though is that after Leave won Cameron, being a feckless idiot who skated to power on pure privilege and who had planned all along for Remain to win and for that to shut the UKIPers the fuck up, basically walked away from the mess he'd made (as the rich and privileged are wont to do). And of course since the rest of the party either also thought that Remain would win and were just using the campaign to seize power or were delusional morons with no real policy ideas on the subject, there was no plan. Then the rest of the Tories either panicked at the thought of how UKIP would eat them alive if they backed down now or thinking this was a great opportunity to seize power, pushed the Brexit bill through still without having formed any plan. And Labour of course, being led by a old-fart who never left the 1960s, jumped on board too.

• Options
    enjoying this particular spicy norwegian take:

when glorious premier corbyn takes over and i get 1000 years gulag im not even going to be angry

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    This whole thing is going to end up like the end of Spec Ops: The Line, with one person left alive in a country full of corpses and the imaginary voice in their head screaming "None of this would have happened if you had just STOPPED!"

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Priti Patel is really, really, scarily right wing

And pretty incompetent

I mean, she just threatened Ireland with another famine.

I think it kind of goes without saying.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm sorry Britain, I really don't get this. I know the US isn't much better but why is your government pushing to leave when they clearly don't have a clue? Why was article 50 invoked when you didn't have a plan? Instead of leave or stay, shouldn't the debate have been about a specific leave plan versus staying? You know, to prevent vauge promises that can't be kept?

in summary,

There have been a large element MPs (of both parties) that has wanted to leave the EU for the last forty years but there was little public support for it so they had to keep quiet.

Then the financial crisis of 2008 happened, unfortunately, this made a lot of people worse off and it caused a lot of anger towards the "rich". Who they saw as the cause and against the government, who were forced to help the banking sector. There was also the Syrian crisis, which brought a lot of refugees to the EU. This alarmed some people in the UK as they thought that Britain was being flooded. Giving rise to nationalist and anti-immigrant feeling. None of these things were new in the UK but they were stronger now than they had been since the seventies.

This was the chance the anti EU groups was waiting for and they had little trouble harnessing this anger for their own ends. A political party was on the rise. UKIP were seen as the "respectable" party for anti-immigration and managed to gain a lot of support. This caused panic in the government, especially the tories. UKIP had not yet won an election but they were taking votes away from the conservatives and the tories were worried about losing power.

While UKIP was a seperate party, they had plently of allies within the conservatives. Fearing a split, the prime minister did a deal. Where he would call a referendum on the EU question if they won the election. In the first of many miscalculations, the prime minister assumed there would be ahung parliment and the referendum would not happen. Anyway, the referendum happened and the rest is history.

However it didn't really solve anything. The anti EU segment of the government almost immediately pushed to start the process of leaving, citing the will of the people. Fearing a split, the government involved article 50 before they were ready. Negotiations with the EU did not go well with sticking points on almost every policy. Forcing the government to accept a fairly bad deal for the UK and nowhere near what they were hoping for.

Now the government has backed itself into a wall and pretty much anything it does will make someone unhappy.

I think the more direct answer to the question being asked though is that after Leave won Cameron, being a feckless idiot who skated to power on pure privilege and who had planned all along for Remain to win and for that to shut the UKIPers the fuck up, basically walked away from the mess he'd made (as the rich and privileged are wont to do). And of course since the rest of the party either also thought that Remain would win and were just using the campaign to seize power or were delusional morons with no real policy ideas on the subject, there was no plan. Then the rest of the Tories either panicked at the thought of how UKIP would eat them alive if they backed down now or thinking this was a great opportunity to seize power, pushed the Brexit bill through still without having formed any plan. And Labour of course, being led by a old-fart who never left the 1960s, jumped on board too.

To be entirely fair, if I'd ballsed up trying to avoid a modest shitshow so very badly that I was now in charge of an enormous shitshow that could only get worse, and I knew it, I would also have walked, nay run, away.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

in summary,

To be entirely fair, if I'd ballsed up trying to avoid a modest shitshow so very badly that I was now in charge of an enormous shitshow that could only get worse, and I knew it, I would also have walked, nay run, away.

I mean, he could have shown a spine and said "Referendum too close, we need decisive public decision, we aren't doing this" or somewhat less spine "right. Put together the research teams and see you again in 20 years".

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    enjoying this particular spicy norwegian take:

when glorious premier corbyn takes over and i get 1000 years gulag im not even going to be angry

Um, what, why did they quote that part and not the part where, referring to the UK joining EFTA, she said, "It's kind of like having an abusive partner spike the drinks and inviting to a Christmas party, and think that this will go well."

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Yes, I can't think of any reason the DUP wouldn't want to work with Jeremy "mates with the IRA" Corbyn. At least it's going to be funny watching the Corbynites try to figure out how to pivot to "working with the DUP is good, actually" after constantly condemning the Tories for it ever since the election.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    It took me a bit to realise that Faisal Islam was saying "This is Tweet 1 out of 10", and not just passing judgement on Corbyn's performance.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At least it's going to be funny watching the Corbynites try to figure out how to pivot to "working with the DUP is good, actually" after constantly condemning the Tories for it ever since the election.

Seriously. There's Realpolitik, and then there's "you represent everything we hate and are a bunch of dipshits to boot, but lets flirt like it means something."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    They say power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm blaming this entirely on Brexiters. Look, it even says Brussels on it!

heiq4eacn8yk.jpg

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    ^ Owned by PepsiCo, the American multinational.

Something something but the real enemy is the EU something something.

• Options
    salt and vinegar is the only meaningful flavour

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Salt & Vinegar is catnip for people who hate fun, don't @ me

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Spring Onion correct flavour

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    please
    1. Tomato Ketchup
    2. Salt n Vinegar / Prawn Cocktail
    3. Cheese & Onion
    4. who cares

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Cheddar.
    (Which we barbarian colonials insist on coloring safety orange.)

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    What, no 'Innovative Jam' flavour?

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Innovative Jam is whatever you want it to be

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    whether or not ketchup chips are good is very brand-dependent

salt and vinegar is always mediocre tho

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think I ever ate non-Walkers crisps in the UK.
    Just didn't seem to be the done thing.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Prawn Cocktail is best

Solar on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I like ready salted. The centrist dad choice.

Blairite detected, deploy pacification unit Alpha-Lambda-13

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I like ready salted. The centrist dad choice.

Blairite detected, deploy pacification unit Alpha-Lambda-13

Probably some kind of fancy neoliberal sea salt instead of honest table salt

This discussion has been closed.