As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The rest of Nero's arm breakers have been revealed! Holy hell at that Tom Boy. It turns the Blue Rose into a railgun along with constant EX for Red Queen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-9frka4wbY

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited November 2018
    There's been a new stream released showing more Dante gameplay, a few new moves for each weapon were shown. Gunslinger has been buffed by making all shots fired while in that style auto-charged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ0ACvCgQtc

The most interesting new bit of information is we may see a demo. Also relevant:

DstCdQ4U4AEfKB4.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Did the Doomslayer actually serve in the military?

Whatever, that chart is great.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, his backstory is that he was a Marine in whatever military equivalent exists in that setting and was trapped on a station during the first demon invasion.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeh, he was originally the DOOM Marine, right? In the iterations that flesh it out with more story, he always seems to be a soldier of some stripe.

Also we're maybe getting a V trailer / gameplay next week, for the vidyagorm awards? Aaaw yis. So curious about this guy. How far removed from Dante and Nero is he gonna be?

Oh brilliant
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The rest of Nero's arm breakers have been revealed! Holy hell at that Tom Boy. It turns the Blue Rose into a railgun along with constant EX for Red Queen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-9frka4wbY

Mmm that track is wonderfully DMC.

3clipse wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, his backstory is that he was a Marine in whatever military equivalent exists in that setting and was trapped on a station during the first demon invasion.

See, I thought that was his backstory, but then there's the whole thing about him as a feudal warrior and his son and the guardians and blah blah blah...

(Which I guess is kind of like the military too.)

That's why he's the Doom Slayer and not "the Doom marine." Or something.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    It’s very vague but Hell bends time in the DOOM cosmos, and when humans open up a portal to Hell for their own purposes there might actually be multiple parallel universes besides the one the marine originated from. The marine had a finite starting point to his life but he’s now been fighting Hell forever.

Yeh, he was originally the DOOM Marine, right? In the iterations that flesh it out with more story, he always seems to be a soldier of some stripe.

Also we're maybe getting a V trailer / gameplay next week, for the vidyagorm awards? Aaaw yis. So curious about this guy. How far removed from Dante and Nero is he gonna be?
    His mechanics seem to be that he's a demon summoner, as he's a human and not a hybrid.

edited December 2018
    It appears I am the designated old timey news guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSLd0SRWwU

Some new things, Faust can become a Gradius option for Dante automatically shooting red orb fragments at enemies. It can also be used defensively like Mega Man's skull shield. Moreover, Cerberus is apparently figuratively (and perhaps literally) a fusion of Cerberus, Nevan and Agni & Rudra. Elements from all three movesets are utilized, with the fire staff having the most number of totally new attacks with a bit of Rebellion's old "pole swing" finish. The electric mode essentially has the bat orbs, while the Ice mode has all the old standbys.

In short, it's a way to smash in a ton of old, yet tweaked content from DMC3.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Couple other things from that livestream:

In Gunslinger mode you can shoot Ebony and Ivory separately using shoot and the style button. Since one hits hard and the other shoots fast, this lets you pick which effect you want.

You swap between punching and kicking with Balrog via lock on + back + attack and hold attack to initiate the boxing weave or caporeira dance. From there you can tap the move stick to dodge in whatever direction you want to go and you do get style points for just dodges.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited December 2018
    Dante, Nero and V gameplay, story details, multiplayer, DEMO December 7th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPAnj_Lcbo&feature=youtu.be

manwiththemachinegun on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I guess someone uploaded the trailer a bit early.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    V's gameplay looks really underwhelming compared to Dante and Nero's. Maybe it's better to actually play?

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Demo December 7th for Xbox owners

Do those even exist?

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited December 2018
    This needs to go in the OP:

kmr6P8L.jpg

There are huge callbacks in the trailer to DMC2 as V summons both Shadows and Golems. Not to mention:
    Dante's redesigned Majin mode.
    3zdl1w3c5r221.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited December 2018
    I can't wait to summon a fucking kaiju and play rock em sock em demons.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited December 2018
    V looks weird as hell to play. Got a kinda Noctis vibe to him with the teleporting and the summon weapons tho.

Also surprise, white hair!

Edit: also they got new vocals for Subhuman. Sounds a little better, I guess. Better mix at least.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    Spoiled is how the multiplayer cameo system works:
    dqebbqahmmte.jpg

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited December 2018
    Goddamn, I hope this system gets added to more kinds of games. I've always loved it when the player character isn't the *only* person fighting against an enemy. Like, the Raiden Vs. Vamp fight in MGS4 is pre-scripted and animated, but it *physically* exists in the game space, not just the split screen. You could always look up and see the duel as you were fighting Gekko. That's rad.

manwiththemachinegun on
    A buddy linked a better writeup of the Cameo system that also has some V details.
    74ytw2e7e7nu.png

wWuzwvJ.png
    Someone played around with the audio of the big bad's voice and...
    https://picosong.com/wjacK/

Motherfucker sure sounds a lot like Vergil, huh? D:

Oh brilliant
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Demo December 7th for Xbox owners

Do those even exist?

Papers need weighing down, doors need to be held open.

Viskod on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yo this game looks rad af.

Also V looking pretty cool I think?

Having him summon demons is super cool and we already have characters that just beat down enemies so this should keep him feeling extra fresh.

Am EXCITE.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    V having white hair...

Hmm looks like my Vergil had another kid theory might hold some water.

I doubt that for a few reasons.
    His body is weak, V requires a cane to walk, and his familar to fly. Every Son of Sparda so far can spit nails and ask for seconds.
    Aside from summoned swords, V really doesn't engage in much hand to hand combat. Since a normal human wouldn't do much good punching an enemy the size of a building.
    Later in the trailer when he talks about finishing his duty, his skin is cracking and he seems to be in pain. To me this says there's a cost to using demon magic and he's burning through his strength too quickly.

Is it possible? Sure. But I would bet he's more similar to Arkham than a SoS.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ah...true.

I doubt that for a few reasons.
    His body is weak, V requires a cane to walk, and his familar to fly. Every Son of Sparda so far can spit nails and ask for seconds.
    Aside from summoned swords, V really doesn't engage in much hand to hand combat. Since a normal human wouldn't do much good punching an enemy the size of a building.
    Later in the trailer when he talks about finishing his duty, his skin is cracking and he seems to be in pain. To me this says there's a cost to using demon magic and he's burning through his strength too quickly.

Is it possible? Sure. But I would bet he's more similar to Arkham than a SoS.
    Yeah, his conversation with mini-Griffon also points to V tapping into some shit that he really shouldn't be messing with and it's taking a heavy toll on him.

Speaking of V, can anyone else make out everything Griffon says? The last line in particular just sounds like gibberish.

wWuzwvJ.png
    V's battle theme dropped and it's goth/industrial as fuck which seems super appropriate.
    https://youtu.be/1l0elvnMgfA

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited December 2018
    Feels appropriate:

3e33a8d7e409fc5385f95a5341b6e6cd.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
    Yep, digging that V theme

Also I don't know if anyone brought this up but apparently Subhuman lives on as Dante's theme, but they've replaced the vocalist.

Honestly, the song is terrible, but I think it's come to the point where it's so bad it's good for me. It makes me laugh. I randomly find myself singing it in my head. I AM OMEGAAAA

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Apparently you can replace music. So Devils Never Cry definitely going in Dante’s theme, especially if I can get the V Mills cover (got it and his Devil Trigger cover on itunes, so good).

edited December 2018
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Yep, digging that V theme

Also I don't know if anyone brought this up but apparently Subhuman lives on as Dante's theme, but they've replaced the vocalist.

Honestly, the song is terrible, but I think it's come to the point where it's so bad it's good for me. It makes me laugh. I randomly find myself singing it in my head. I AM OMEGAAAA

No one ever accused Dante of having good taste in music.

He thinks sex is turning a girl into a guitar.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited December 2018
    Oh christ never mind I just looked up subhuman on youtube again and that is really hard to listen to. But it's entirely the screamo vocalist.

The little V mills version is actually way better. I just don't like his version of the chorus very much. Too high pitched or something, sounds weird.

edit: Duh, you can hear the new version in Dante's section of the newest trailer. Sounds way better than the old one and still super goofy. I approve.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    I had no idea this demo was coming so early. Time to give it a try.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Honestly the song is fine except for the chorus that stalls everything to a stop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/a3m8yk/ddmk_0998/
    DDMK .998 is out!
    Fuck yeah. This is probably the best suited combination of words to sum up this situation. First of all let me apologize to all the ones whose messages I've missed - I'll tend to them in a minute. Right now, I smell like a chronically stressed Tasmanian Devil and if you were to extract all the caffeine from my body you'd be able to run your very own Starbucks store for the day. But things fell into place and I finally turned Multiplayer for Devil May Cry 3 into a reality that we can all enjoy.

Instructions

*The first step is optional, but I strongly advise you to do it. This is a new build with experimental features and it's generally a good idea to create backups of important files.
    *Navigate to your Devil May Cry HD Collection savegame directory.
    *Usually this is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR_STEAM_ID\631510\remote" where YOUR_STEAM_ID is a number.
    *If you are the only one using Steam on your computer then "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata" will only contain one directory and it belongs to your account.
    *If it contains multiple directories, you need to find out your Steam ID. I won't guide you through it, but this might help.
    *Copy "dmc3.sav" to a safe, easily accessible location.
    *Download this archive and extract its contents to your Devil May Cry HD Collection root directory.
    *Usually this is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Devil May Cry HD Collection".
    *That's it.
    *Once Devil May Cry 3 is running press CTRL + D to open the menu.
    *The first startup will take long (~15 seconds), because the cache will be created. This is only done once and after that you should be back to the usual 2 seconds boot time.

Changelog

*Introduced Multiplayer!
    I certainly knew that this wouldn't be trivial, but at first I wondered if it would be harder to pull off than the Weapon Switcher. Expanding a game by making it more object-oriented to get it to do something it was never intended to do? Yes, this definitely takes the crown. There was so much logic to provide, modify and extend. So many variables to consider and manipulate. No doubt, my finest work so far.
    *Please note that, due to technical reasons you have to restart the game to enable Multiplayer. The input functions that require editing run on such a high update rate that any attempt to modify them while they're running will crash the game.

*Updated and optimized the Style Switcher and Weapon Switcher code.
    *Updated the GUI.
    *Introduced Enable Background Input option.
    *Remediated Sword Pierce rendering other melee weapons unusable while the Weapon Switcher is active. Not really a bug, but rather a design limitation and I fixed it the best I could.
    *Fixed a logic error that ran deep.
    *Due to the introduction of Multiplayer and other variables I had to do some more refactoring, this is also reflected in the GUI.
    *Introduced Unlock Quick Drive option.
    To work correctly, you have to put the file "pl000_00_3.pac" from the Devil May Cry 3 Demo into "data\dmc3\GData.afs" in your Devil May Cry HD Collection root directory.
    While in Swordmaster, hold Style Action and press Melee Attack twice to trigger. I chose this design to avoid accidental inputs and so far I quite like it.

*Created Weapon module and moved Instant Visibility Update into it.
    *Created Style module and moved Doppelganger options into it.
    *Introduced Use Ex Version option for Doppelganger.
    Basically this is the way I always wanted Doppelganger to work. It respects the character's state. If human, create a human version. If devil, create a devil version. You can also change your state while Doppelganger is active and it too will change accordingly. Here's a demo. You change the update rate by holding Lock-On and pressing Taunt.

Known Multiplayer Limitations

*Some effects are missing or not displayed correctly. I also had to explicitly disable some or the game would crash. I extended every cache I could find, but it made no difference. I guess there are some hardcoded things deep within the engine that not even Jesus can fix. The maximum number of players is 4 for the same reasons. Also 4 is nice, it's the XInput limit.

*There is no guarantee that Multiplayer works outside of Bloody Palace. I tried a few missions and it worked fine, but your mileage may vary.

*I already have new entries for the bug tracker and I'm sure you'll find even more, but before the nth guy feels the need to fulfill his holy duty of reminding me that the sound effects are not working properly - Yes, I know. I wanted to introduce Multiplayer first, to know about all the stuff I need the sound handler to do, to what degree I need to generalize it and to eliminate the need for yet another revision.

Ooof.

I only want a shower, a really unhealthy meal and some sleep.

But hey! It's Saint Nicholas Day today, so here's another present for you.

It begins.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited December 2018
    Black Belt Gaming got their hands on the Goliath boss fight music and it's got some shades of Metal Gear Rising and Mega Man in it that I'm very ok with.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9KalQyP7D0

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Played the demo. Feels weird as heck! Gonna take a lot of time to adjust, I think. Played too much DMC4SE.

For some reason Nero's helm splitter has been remapped to back rather than forward on the stick.

I like his new reload mechanic in place of charge shot, but can't figure out if there's a way to reload and hold all three shots. Seems like the input demands you fire off the first one when you release it.

And the new Breaker mechanic is probably gonna replace holding a charge shot...

Found it pretty hard to hit SSS. Sorry for judging, gorm journos

Oh brilliant