As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    @templewulf and I spent like an hour and a half trying to figure out why we kept getting the black screen bug in ps4 sc6 private rooms.

Then we both decided to stay on mic and do some ranked.

I was like going to try out siegfried more and was like "oh lol a mirror match" and then we both read the opponent names and laughed because we got matched against each other.

Somehow this also unclogged the internet tubes for us to get in a bunch of private matches too.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Steam has in game screenshots of M11K.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Those screenshots look DAMN good

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Bracing myself for complaining about NRS animation being bad even though I do not get that complaint at all, and think the animations they have are some of the best in the business. Literally I watched a YouTube dissecting why the animation was bad and I still disagree and dont understand. I am a more casual fighting game fan but it is genuinely confounding to me

Anyway Mortal Kombat and Doom are my all time favourite old school games so I'm living in a golden age

https://youtu.be/THzXHKHjV3Y

I'm guessing maybe parallel timelines and universes again, unless the cinematic is just silly fun and reveals nothing about the content of the game. I'm just glad it exists and has a date

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think NRS animations are bad and also i don't think it's possible for them to be good based on the weird way they turn characters towards the camera

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's really off putting and helps contribute to the general clunkiness I feel

simulacrum on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...looks like weapons are back.

Not sure how I feel about that.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Bracing myself for complaining about NRS animation being bad even though I do not get that complaint at all, and think the animations they have are some of the best in the business. Literally I watched a YouTube dissecting why the animation was bad and I still disagree and dont understand. I am a more casual fighting game fan but it is genuinely confounding to me
    Oh, hey there one other person who feels this way. It's nice to meet you~

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Prohass wrote: »
    Oh, hey there one other person who feels this way. It's nice to meet you~

It feels like the blue/white black/gold dress thing. I just don't see it, even when it's pointed out to me with like charts and shit. Whatever they're doing looks and feels awesome to me

Prohass on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh god spoiler that. It's awful. Just ugh. I just... oh my god.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i really like the animation from that one video where he draws a waist-high fence under their punch animations

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I have a wild amount of fun with NRS games, and think they look just fine. Really, the only part of them I dislike is the part where people try super hard to convince other people that they don't actually like them. That applies to a lot of games, though.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I'll agree that the crouched kick animation shown above is what I notice as jank in a fighting game. It's one of the valid complaints about the animation style, absolutely, because no real fighter or martial arts style would do that.

At the same time, it doesn't bother me enough to never play the game. The game has fun combo systems, and doing fatalities as a fuck you to your opponent feels great. It's the less douchebaggy teabag. And MK has one of the best stories going for it in modern fighting games, which I dare anyone to think they would ever see anyone say back when Mortal Kombat was starting to die out as a franchise around the 5th entry or so.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yeah MKX was a ton of fun and I largely don't have a problem with the animations. A lot of the strings and special moves look really good imo.

But obviously the fence-punching jabs look terrible, and stuff like the above, so if they took the criticism to heart and fix those things MK11 will be better for it.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i bought MKX on sale a few years ago but it was already way dead when I got to it

I thought it was cool but I picked the wrong character to learn with. It was some version of Ermac, and I was making it work but I felt like I was having a much harder life than everyone I fought... then I went fishing for perspective and the internet told me basically "yeah that specific Ermac is probably the least forgiving character to play in MKX"

something about no safe strings/no safe specials

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    tha MK11 logo is crazy good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as the animation goes, it's still janky at times but it's also improved quite a bit and has never been that big a deal in the first place.

I think folks just beat that dead horse so that can post that youtube video for the umpteenth time.

• Options

some of it has not gotten better

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    You either mind it or you don't, I guess. Though some of Falke's animations in SFV lacks the polish SF is usually known for, so it's not like Capcom is exempt in committing animation sins.

• Options
    yeah, the animation for sfv's DLC characters is inconsistent at best

I think DBFZ and Tekken are still the most solidly animated/keyframed in the FGC

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Admittedly, I find myself realizing how little I mind a character that can fly having a floaty jump. XD

• Options

Admittedly, I find myself realizing how little I mind a character that can fly having a floaty jump. XD

it's not the floaty jump

it's the arms

why the hell does he jump with his arms behind his back

• Options
    edited December 2018
    It's a means of conveying personality? Jumping with his hands behind his back (which again, literally any of these flying characters could do :P ) might be trying to show a sense of confidence or control, assured he doesn't need to steady his movements or defend himself from the likes of you mere mortals. You might disagree with that, and that's fine, but it's not some weird unjustifiable oversight.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    It's a means of conveying personality? Jumping with his hands behind his back (which again, literally any of these flying characters could do :P ) might be trying to show a sense of confidence or control, assured he doesn't need to steady his movements or defend himself from the likes of you mere mortals. You might disagree with that, and that's fine, but it's not some weird unjustifiable oversight.

if you think that jump is a good way of portraying strength then we're probably not going to agree on anything here

• Options

it's not the floaty jump

it's the arms

why the hell does he jump with his arms behind his back

because he's Darkseid and that's funny

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    yeah like, they made a conscious decision that as a character darkside does not take his hands from behind his back

thats not an animation issue

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    yeah like, they made a conscious decision that as a character darkside does not take his hands from behind his back

It is though, because his animations are inconsistent at conveying his personality. If he always kept his hands behind his back and only fought using his eye lasers, or had multiple poses and animations to convey his relaxed over-confidence, either of those options would work. At the moment, he's putting too much effort to keep his hands behind his back to come across as relaxed, and has too many attacks using his hands to indicate that he's intentionally handicapping himself. It's just inconsistent.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my most charitable interpretation of NRS design is that it's an intentional throwback to the FMV days, which is sort of a big part of what made them famous

its too uncanny to be accidental that the characters in a game made in 2017 stand and move almost exactly like unpaid actors in a mop closet in the early 90s

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

I think DBFZ and Tekken are still the most solidly animated/keyframed in the FGC

K
    I

They figured out how to have a nunchucks fighter work. All of Kim Wu’s attacks manage to get out and come back so smoothly.

• Options

Perrsun wrote: »

K
    I

They figured out how to have a nunchucks fighter work. All of Kim Wu’s attacks manage to get out and come back so smoothly.

KI also looks good but something about the particle effects and shadow moves in that game just put me into sensory overload

the later DLC characters especially put so much shit on the screen, it gets hard to follow

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I fully agree, Darkseid is the kind of character you'd want to have their hands behind their back to portray their superiority.

On the other hand, the way the arms swing freely during the jump makes it looks less like Darkseid being a badass and more Darkseid having had his hands cuffed like a criminal. The jump back looks particularly weird.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

It is though, because his animations are inconsistent at conveying his personality. If he always kept his hands behind his back and only fought using his eye lasers, or had multiple poses and animations to convey his relaxed over-confidence, either of those options would work. At the moment, he's putting too much effort to keep his hands behind his back to come across as relaxed, and has too many attacks using his hands to indicate that he's intentionally handicapping himself. It's just inconsistent.

i

disagree both that what youre describing is an animation issue and also that its a problem but also its absolutely not worth fighting over

Every time an NRS game comes out i come in this thread excited and then immediately remember people are really fucking weird about them and bounce pretty quick

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Perrsun wrote: »

K
    I

KI also looks good but something about the particle effects and shadow moves in that game just put me into sensory overload

the later DLC characters especially put so much shit on the screen, it gets hard to follow

KI looks and moves well, but it definitely kept that "this is a launch game for new consoles, better show off a lot of graphical bells & whistles regardless of how much they actually change the experience" thing well past the window where it's impressive

that game has so many particle effects

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Compare Darkseid to SFV Bison. Bison is menacing by just folding his arms, but Darkseid looks like he's doing a no-hands kickflip compilation video.

And I agree on the SFV animation stumbles. Falke in particular doesn't put any weight behind her attacks, and it comes off as her being a real amateur. And animating an amateur can look pretty rad, like Alice the fangirl in KoF 14, or Sakura in older SFs.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »
    Compare Darkseid to SFV Bison. Bison is menacing by just folding his arms, but Darkseid looks like he's doing a no-hands kickflip compilation video.

And I agree on the SFV animation stumbles. Falke in particular doesn't put any weight behind her attacks, and it comes off as her being a real amateur. And animating an amateur can look pretty rad, like Alice the fangirl in KoF 14, or Sakura in older SFs.

I feel like they really didn't know what to do with Falke's staff, a lot of her quick moves are just her tapping you with the tip of it, but with no windup or follow through to make it seem like they have weight

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I feel like they really didn't know what to do with Falke's staff, a lot of her quick moves are just her tapping you with the tip of it, but with no windup or follow through to make it seem like they have weight

I think you're right, but it's baffling. There are so many staff characters they could have taken inspiration from. Billy Kane, Kilik, Litchi, Venom, and (not that I want to endorse him but) they already made Rolento.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options

I think you're right, but it's baffling. There are so many staff characters they could have taken inspiration from. Billy Kane, Kilik, Litchi, Venom, and (not that I want to endorse him but) they already made Rolento.

i think Alpha Rolento works pretty well, but SFIV Rolento has a few of those issues as well, where some of his pokes just don't look like they'd do anything

like they're trying to mirror his SF Alpha moveset, but some of those 2D moves don't work with 3D models that have frame interpolation

things look a lot better when they're able to have a few more frames to actually swing the stick around with some force

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    If you don't care for NRS's approach to animation, that's totally cool. That's fine. But trying to prove the people that don't have an issue with it wrong is kinda jerky.

• Options
    Knob wrote: »
    If you don't care for NRS's approach to animation, that's totally cool. That's fine. But trying to prove the people that don't have an issue with it wrong is kinda jerky.

i just like talking about and critiquing animation, animation techniques are some of my favorite parts of fighting games

my apologies if this was over the line though

This discussion has been closed.