As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I've never been happier that I own a Switch than I am right now...

ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kind of liked this series better when it was still X-Men Legends, but I'll definitely be checking this one out.
    skeldare wrote: »
    So I really hope this means we'll get a port of Persona 5 at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7z1Ny1kc6g

W- what? Why? Persona has never been on any Nintendo platform, unless you count Shin Megami Tensei: If as kind of the unofficial ancestor of that spin-off.

Meanwhile, actual Shin Megami Tensei games (and Strange Journey) keep being released for Nintendo platforms.

This must be what Nintendo & Final Fantasy fans felt like when they announced Cloud for Smash, but not Terra.

WotanAnubis on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    They got the Persona Q games on 3DS. Joker's in PQ2, what just released on November 29.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    (in japan, localization not done for other regions yet)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You get a challenger every 10 minutes. But the process stacks. I played around in the music menu, then left the game running for a bit to take care of something. When I came back, I did the spirit board for a bit. I had 3 challengers in a row. Well not literally in a row, but after every spirit battle I did.

So I'm guessing if you just leave the game running for a few hours, then you can go through all the unlocks in one big pile, one after the other. Or, do that, but then play multi with your friends, and after every match you'll have a fight.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

I kind of liked this series better when it was still X-Men Legends, but I'll definitely be checking this one out.

W- what? Why? Persona has never been on any Nintendo platform, unless you count Shin Megami Tensei: If as kind of the unofficial ancestor of that spin-off.

Meanwhile, actual Shin Megami Tensei games (and Strange Journey) keep being released for Nintendo platforms.

This must be what Nintendo & Final Fantasy fans felt like when they announced Cloud for Smash, but not Terra.

It is weird. But I guess the Persona protags have more style and character as standalone entities for a fighter game. Like, I played Strange Journey and I couldn't tell you what the main character was supposed to look like. And the protag in Devil survivor basically looked like the Persona 3 protag but even more generic. So something like Joker or Yuu is understandably more recognizable for a megaten rep.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »

It is weird. But I guess the Persona protags have more style and character as standalone entities for a fighter game. Like, I played Strange Journey and I couldn't tell you what the main character was supposed to look like. And the protag in Devil survivor basically looked like the Persona 3 protag but even more generic. So something like Joker or Yuu is understandably more recognizable for a megaten rep.

Yeah, for an SMT rep, I probably would have picked... well, the Demifiend if I'm being completely honest.

But as for SMT main characters that appeared on Nintendo systems, I might go for that punk kid from IV: Apocalypse.

Drascin wrote: »

Yeah, for an SMT rep, I probably would have picked... well, the Demifiend if I'm being completely honest.

But as for SMT main characters that appeared on Nintendo systems, I might go for that punk kid from IV: Apocalypse.

I only played the normal SMTIV, not the sequel, but honestly I couldn't tell you what the protagonist looked like besides remembering he had a snazzy coat :P.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    So I bought Smash.

Does this game have a tutorial at all? Like, there’s a “How to Play” in the adventure mode but that doesn’t cover the fighting controls at all.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I bought Smash.

Does this game have a tutorial at all? Like, there’s a “How to Play” in the adventure mode but that doesn’t cover the fighting controls at all.

Here's an in-game video guide from the Wii U version. It's basically the same for Smash Ultimate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JatRs2wvJo

The controls are pretty simple for a fighting game:

czrjneh5wyz3.jpg

A = Basic attack. Hit x3 in a row for a simple combo on most characters.
    Direction+A = Variation attacks by holding a direction, such as Right+A. Usually a longer ranged attack/poke.
    Smash+A = A "smash" attack. Done by quickly tapping the Stick+A at the same time. Can be charged up. Also done with the right analog stick in any direction (no button required).
    B = Special move. Each character has 4 moves: Neutral+B, Up+B, D+B, and L/R+B. Up+B is most character's recovery move.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'd double dip on that one. Probably my favorite JRPG.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'd double dip on that one. Probably my favorite JRPG.

I'm currently at the end of the first palace on my first run and this game just oozes style. I am loving every moment of it.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The Persona/SMT character they need to add to Smash is clearly Mara.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    They have no problem putting in Palkia so I dont see why they cant add Mara

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'll be at a wedding all day tomorrow - but I'm not in the wedding party, so I'll also have downtime between like 3 pm and 6 pm. SMASH TIME. Love that I can take my Switch.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I'll be at a wedding all day tomorrow - but I'm not in the wedding party, so I'll also have downtime between like 3 pm and 6 pm. SMASH TIME. Love that I can take my Switch.

Is the wedding on a rooftop? If it's not on a rooftop, you can't bring your Switch.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I wish there was a Smash demo like they did for 3ds. I doubt I want to buy it, but I do wanna play it a little.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »

Is the wedding on a rooftop? If it's not on a rooftop, you can't bring your Switch.

Drat! Foiled again! CURSE YOU, NINTENDO MARKETING DEPARTMENT!!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    I'm very quietly getting sort of hyped for Ultimate Alliance 3. Mostly out of nostalgia for X-Men Legends.

But the trailer did leave me with one burning question: the heck is up with that dog with the bent tuning fork stuck in their head?

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

I did this with the Wii U. Not worth the hassle, no matter how good Zelda was.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm very quietly getting sort of hyped for Ultimate Alliance 3. Mostly out of nostalgia for X-Men Legends.

But the trailer did leave me with one burning question: the heck is up with that dog with the bent tuning fork stuck in their head?

You mean Lockjaw?

Also don't forget SE's Avengers project is still in the works. Next year might be real good for Marvel games.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    All in all I was a bit underwhelmed by Nintendo's announcements at the Game Awards. Marvel Ultimate Alliance did not look good. I mean the prerendered stuff looked good. But the in game stuff looked pretty low quality. Poor definition textures, poor polygon count, choppy framerate. Maybe I've been spoiled by 1st party releases and Panic Button.

The Joker announcement for Smash was exciting for me only in so far as it hints at Persona coming to Switch?

That indie game they opened the show with was cool I guess.

Maybe I'm just a sourpuss because I had a massive hype boner for Metroid, and there was no Metroid.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Y'know Team Ninja has been really knocking it out of the park with Musou styled games lately (Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors), I kinda wonder if UA3 might be going more that route.

For the record I would be super down with that.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Without having experience with the earlier games, is UA3 by any chance a viable single-player game?

camo_sig2.png
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Without having experience with the earlier games, is UA3 by any chance a viable single-player game?

I played the two X-men games, their predecessor, solo and had a good time. There was enough rpg elements there to keep solo interesting.

I'm waiting to see if Daredevil is in UA3 before making my decision to go in on it.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    ...my joycons keep losing connection during Smash while I have them inside the dog controller. Anyone have any idea of what could be the cause?

Absolutely. It won't be as fun, mind you, but it is definitely soloable.

MNC Dover wrote: »
    So I bought Smash.

Here's an in-game video guide from the Wii U version. It's basically the same for Smash Ultimate.

Direction+A = Variation attacks by holding a direction, such as Right+A. Usually a longer ranged attack/poke.
    Smash+A = A "smash" attack. Done by quickly tapping the Stick+A at the same time. Can be charged up. Also done with the right analog stick in any direction (no button required).
    B = Special move. Each character has 4 moves: Neutral+B, Up+B, D+B, and L/R+B. Up+B is most character's recovery move.

Thanks, that was very useful, the video in particular. I also found a section of videos in the "Help" screen that are, er, helpful.

Some of the phrasing is weird. "Tilt attack" in particular is a little bizarre.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Disagree.

Playing with your friends is certainly a fun time and different kind of experience, but nothing that makes the MUA games enjoyable is lost when only playing solo. The original games, anyway. It's possible they change something up with MUA3, but I doubt it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    urahonky wrote: »

Disagree.

Playing with your friends is certainly a fun time and different kind of experience, but nothing that makes the MUA games enjoyable is lost when only playing solo. The original games, anyway. It's possible they change something up with MUA3, but I doubt it.

You're telling me a 4 player co-op game is less fun (or equal to) playing with friends? ;)

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So I bought Smash.

Thanks, that was very useful, the video in particular. I also found a section of videos in the "Help" screen that are, er, helpful.

Some of the phrasing is weird. "Tilt attack" in particular is a little bizarre.

"Tilt attack" is when you shake your opponents console hard enough that the tilt sensor goes off and they lose their ball.

Axen wrote: »

You mean Lockjaw?

Apparently, I do.

I wonder what his moveset is going to be. A lot of teleporting around and biting people, I guess.

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    As someone with no interest in Smash - I got Katamari today! It's just as wonderful as I remember it being and I am super happy.

Also - I am super salty about the P5 Smash announcement. My hopes went sky high, then down the Mariana Trech. I really, really hope this is the precursor to Persona 5 Crimson with the extra dungeon for
    Hifumi

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Hey guys , looked through the first post but didn't see anything
    Looking for some game reqs for my 7 year old.
    He really likes Mario Odyssey and Mariokart.

Has a somewhat low frustration tolerance but is willing to ask for help

we have Mario/Rabbids already but its a bit too hard for him
    He liked Minecraft story mode.

He has been saying he really wants Zelda, but am worried he will get too frustrated with it. Some reviews say its good others make me not so sure. he seems to like the exploring/platforming bits of odyssey but isn't so much a completionist.

Was thinking about Kirby, splatoon, Rayman, maybe Arms

So yea, suggestions?

camo_sig.png
    Elin wrote: »
    As someone with no interest in Smash - I got Katamari today! It's just as wonderful as I remember it being and I am super happy.

Also - I am super salty about the P5 Smash announcement. My hopes went sky high, then down the Mariana Trech. I really, really hope this is the precursor to Persona 5 Crimson with the extra dungeon for
    Hifumi

I know for a fact that I originally bought Katamari Damacy on October 1, 2004, because while I was driving home from the store I got to see a volcano erupt (Mt. Saint Helens).

Which turned out to be the SECOND weirdest thing I would see that day.

I should buy the remaster.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Goddammit, internet.

Don't do this to me. I was just about to buy it on sale off PSN!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

He has been saying he really wants Zelda, but am worried he will get too frustrated with it. Some reviews say its good others make me not so sure. he seems to like the exploring/platforming bits of odyssey but isn't so much a completionist.

So yea, suggestions?

Kirby is pretty forgiving. Could easily do that.

Zelda would be fine most of the time, but there are some difficult areas of the map.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Goddammit, internet.

Don't do this to me. I was just about to buy it on sale off PSN!

Even the rumor is saying is not coming for a while probably... :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

So yea, suggestions?

Sounds like he might need a bit more time to fully enjoy Zelda. It can be challenging at times.

I'd suggest Kirby or Splatoon. Rayman looks solid and I don't know anything about Arms.