As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    If that's the requirement though it seems unlikely anyone is in the Good Place. His intentions are wrong for example but he is putting good out into the world, and while he thinks he has the right answer he doesn't have empirical proof of that. His fear of missing out by like 1 point was palpable though.

I think
    that’s what this has all been building up to. I think the main twist is going to be that yes, the Good Place exists, but nobody (or only a precious few) is in it. The Accountant is probably going to make that plain. Even if you do your absolute best, and make yourself miserable in the process, it still isn’t good enough.

The system is arbitrary and unfair. Either you have no idea that being good is earning you points (and therefore no idea what kinds of things will earn you points or even how many) and can therefore live what most people would consider a good life and still not make it to whatever the threshold is, as dictated by the celestial beaurocracy, or you have figured out that there’s a point system somehow and have been unfairly screwed out of being able to get to The Good Place at all because your motivations have been soiled, and so you might as well just be bad and enjoy it while you can (which, how is that okay?).

I think Michael and Co. are going to discover that even Doug Forcett is going to the Bad Place.

Pretty much any system is going to be arbitrary and unfair in various ways.

I think it’s why the grace-based system of Christianity has been so popular. It gives some leeway for screwing up, but even Christianity has some things to say about spoiled motivations. In fact, motivations are possibly even more important in the Christian system.

The grace based system gets a lot of blowback from the other end as it leaves open the opportunity for Hitler getting into heaven as long as he had a deathbed conversion.

At that point you have to assume that only God knows whether that was honest. Jesus himself even said “not everyone who says ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of Heaven” in the Bible.

But I guess it’s worth pondering if there’s such a thing as being too lenient about who gets to go to The Good Place.

A lot of people aren't going to want Hitler to be in heaven even if his conversion was sincere.
    If that's the requirement though it seems unlikely anyone is in the Good Place. His intentions are wrong for example but he is putting good out into the world, and while he thinks he has the right answer he doesn't have empirical proof of that. His fear of missing out by like 1 point was palpable though.

I think
    that’s what this has all been building up to. I think the main twist is going to be that yes, the Good Place exists, but nobody (or only a precious few) is in it. The Accountant is probably going to make that plain. Even if you do your absolute best, and make yourself miserable in the process, it still isn’t good enough.

The system is arbitrary and unfair. Either you have no idea that being good is earning you points (and therefore no idea what kinds of things will earn you points or even how many) and can therefore live what most people would consider a good life and still not make it to whatever the threshold is, as dictated by the celestial beaurocracy, or you have figured out that there’s a point system somehow and have been unfairly screwed out of being able to get to The Good Place at all because your motivations have been soiled, and so you might as well just be bad and enjoy it while you can (which, how is that okay?).

I think Michael and Co. are going to discover that even Doug Forcett is going to the Bad Place.

Pretty much any system is going to be arbitrary and unfair in various ways.

I think it’s why the grace-based system of Christianity has been so popular. It gives some leeway for screwing up, but even Christianity has some things to say about spoiled motivations. In fact, motivations are possibly even more important in the Christian system.

The grace based system gets a lot of blowback from the other end as it leaves open the opportunity for Hitler getting into heaven as long as he had a deathbed conversion.

At that point you have to assume that only God knows whether that was honest. Jesus himself even said “not everyone who says ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of Heaven” in the Bible.

But I guess it’s worth pondering if there’s such a thing as being too lenient about who gets to go to The Good Place.

A lot of people aren't going to want Hitler to be in heaven even if his conversion was sincere.

Still there is something to be said for if somebody was the worst of the worst for 100 or less years does that really justify eternal damnation. It makes little sense for an eternity of judgement based on an eyeblink of time. That is why the whole cycle of reincarnation always made more sense. You go full hitler in one life and you earned yourself a LOT more time on the wheel to try to improve yourself and do better in future incarnations.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Spoilers from the last episode, but this is delightful (from D'Arcy Carden's twitter feed):

D'Arcy Carden plays Janet on "The Good Place"

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    It'd never work, but I'd seriously consider watching a spin off set in Jacksonville where Adam Scott and some supporting demon cast members torment the unwitting Floridians but are totally outmatched in their race to the bottom.

We'd need Evil Janet to make appearances as well, obvs.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    In the podcast, I loved hearing Shawn geek out over getting to work with Jeff Imata. When they first mentioned his name, I was like wasn't he the Bourne movie guy... and sure enough he was.

Also, really surprised that no one there recognized the Indiana Jones reference when Eleanor was talking up Michael in the Puking Moose.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Spoilers from the last episode, but this is delightful (from D'Arcy Carden's twitter feed):

D'Arcy Carden plays Janet on "The Good Place"

From further down her tweet chain

Janet makes Janet happy

Veevee on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    wait...why is that...happening

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Since scenes are filmed from multiple angles, the actors will do the stunts when it's safe to do so. That way they can use close-ups from some angles and see the actors' faces. But they can also use the talents of the stunt performers in selling hits from other angles. A simultaneous rehearsal of the choreography makes sense.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Erm, I hope @Veevee didn't spoil the last episode for you.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Erm, I hope @Veevee didn't spoil the last episode for you.

No i mean, why are they doubled like that. My understanding of how a stunt double would work is that when the double is in there...they're the only ones there, and then the actor comes on after

edit: oh and the post right above answered. Awesome, thanks!

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Erm, I hope Veevee didn't spoil the last episode for you.

I'm going to the Bad Place, aren't I?

Do I get retroactive good points for putting it in a spoiler now?

Veevee on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

only if you donate to your local snail group also

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There’s no episode this week, which should result in somebody going to The Bad Place

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

If you know about the points you can't earn any. Sorry.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Is it weird that this show genuinely makes me try to be a better person?

Like don’t get me wrong, I’m not good at it. But it makes me think about it constantly. We might forking really need this show right now

Its an amazing treatise on ethics, and doing good things for the right reasons. Plus it bridges religions (or lack thereof)
    There’s no episode this week, which should result in somebody going to The Bad Place

Sadly, I think everyone is going to assume all TVs will be turned to Football.

... As I type this, I legit was thinking that I should see if the Jacksonville Jaguars are playing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If TGP was on, that’s what my TV would have been set to

Since it isn’t, new MST3K is gonna be on instead

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I think the reason for the missing episode can be vaguely pinned on Columbus and boy oh boy is he ever in The Bad Place.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I think the reason for the missing episode can be vaguely pinned on Columbus and boy oh boy is he ever in The Bad Place.

I think the Pilgrims have a more direct responsibility.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's Thanksgiving, no one is going to air a new episode. Nor should they.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    We're not all American. They will just have to let us be an episode in front.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

everyone on the TGP crew from the actors to the key grips should get time off to be with loved ones and/or recuperate and/or eat tasty holiday things.

... how many points does this post get me, do you think?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited November 2018

everyone on the TGP crew from the actors to the key grips should get time off to be with loved ones and/or recuperate and/or eat tasty holiday things.

... how many points does this post get me, do you think?

The season is already in the can. Bell needs time to film Veronica Mars episodes. And maybe raise her kids.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This episode seemed to me to hint at
    Shawn (and maybe more of his peers--higher level demon designers, etc.) having corrupted the Accountant or having some sway over it. He seemed sure that everyone he named would be sent to the Bad Place. The only way I can see him being so certain would be if he can put his finger on the scale.

(Of course, this assumes that it's even possible to get to the Good Place within the point system and how it works. I think--within the world of the show--it's supposed to be.)

LaOs on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    This episode seemed to me to hint at
    Shawn (and maybe more of his peers--higher level demon designers, etc.) having corrupted the Accountant or having some sway over it. He seemed sure that everyone he named would be sent to the Bad Place. The only way I can see him being so certain would be if he can put his finger on the scale.

(Of course, this assumes that it's even possible to get to the Good Place within the point system and how it works. I think--within the world of the show--it's supposed to be.)

Yeah, whether they go that direction or not is unclear, but
    There was definitely an amount of knowing, that the system isn't just weighted, but actively being rigged in favor of sending pretty much everyone to the Bad Place

• Options
    edited November 2018
    They seem really intent on pursuing these four people

I assume it’s because
    letting them continue down this path will lead to them discovering how unbelievably rigged the system is in favor of the Bad Place and they don’t want the issue solved

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    i'm going to be shocked if
    the whole point system is something that michael was told but isn't actually how you get into the good place. Something is definitely up with the Accountant though.

When is the next episode?

Pailryder on
  • Options
    In 28 minutes on the east coast.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    There's a lot to unpack here.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    BUtt's I forgot it was back this week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    This episode is here to remind you that D'Arcy Carden is forking awesome.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    She is. Also demonstrated the insanity of Orphan Black, because you could see the (technical) seams here that you almost never saw on that show.

Stephan Merchant is really good casting.

And hey it's...

The Actual (Probably?) Good Place

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Man if
    No ones gotten into The Good Place for over 500 years, then Mindy St Clare must’ve done something REALLY amazing to at least get into the Medium Place

• Options
    Oh right, also best comedy Golden Globe nomination and one for Bell.

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Her Jason impression got me laughing pretty good, and her Eleanor-Jason and Jason-Eleanor were great.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Man if
    No ones gotten into The Good Place for over 500 years, then Mindy St Clare must’ve done something REALLY amazing to at least get into the Medium Place

Or
    It's not uncommon for the Medium place to be a thing, and the way hers was set up was part of the bad place being a dick.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Motion to cast D'arcy Carden in every role in every series in perpetuity.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Motion to cast D'arcy Carden in every role in every series in perpetuity.

Seconded.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I don't know how this show consistently knocks it out of the park every single week. I can not think of a single bad episode of this show.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Let's take a moment to recognize the other brilliant casting
    of Stephen Merchant playing the Afterlife's David Brent right down to the universes greatest boss mug

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I don't know how this show consistently knocks it out of the park every single week. I can not think of a single bad episode of this show.

Now, now.

There was that one episode that was merely really really good.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.