As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join us in thread and [Steam] group chat!

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I have ME2 on Origin. It's a lot better than the first ME, which definitely has terrible shooting. Plus its story is great.

Of course once you get to ME3 the shooting has been perfected and it's the best of the series. ME:A is a slight step down but I still like its shooting more than ME2.

ME2's story was a huge step down.

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Company of Heroes 2 is free on Steam this weekend for keepsies if anyone doesn't have it and wants it.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    New trailer for the next Far Cry game called New Dawn, looks to be a direct sequel to FC5:

(spoilered since it reveals what happened at the end of FC5)
    I actually haven't played FC5 yet and spoiled myself on the ending. This seems like a good opportunity for Ubisoft to reuse their Hope County map, much like Primal apparently used the same map as FC4 (which I also haven't yet played).

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I have ME2 on Origin. It's a lot better than the first ME, which definitely has terrible shooting. Plus its story is great.

Of course once you get to ME3 the shooting has been perfected and it's the best of the series. ME:A is a slight step down but I still like its shooting more than ME2.

Mass Effect is ME for short, Mirror's Edge is HotGarbage for short.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Mass Effect is ME for short, Mirror's Edge is HotGarbage for short.

if we go by the Marvel Heroes (RIP) and Monster Hunter standard; Mass Effect remains ME and Mirror's Edge is MirEdg.

steam_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Well this looks Goddamn Amazing

https://youtu.be/MGLTgt0EEqc

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The Exploders took on a "Target Acquisition" mission for the first time. You have to race your mechs to three points on a map, in this case to set satellite beacons, hold those positions for two turns, and then escape all within a set timeframe. Kalnaur, @Fanda, @EvmaAlsar and @Polaritie took 4 fast 55 tonners out on a two skull mission. It should have gone smoothly.

Initial opposition was light, a Panther and three Locusts. The Exploders jumped and sprinted out to the target areas.

Then things went pear-shaped.

As soon as Kalnaur touched down on the first point, a wooded bowl at the bottom of a ridgeline, reinforcements spawned right above him - a Shadowhawk and a Kintaro. With limited ability to move and generate evasion pips, needing to hold the beacon spot for two turns, that Kintaro rained down medium laser and short ranged missile pain onto Kalnaur. The rest of the team, trying to hold the other two spots, could do little more than throw a few LRMs at the Kintaro, but that wasn't enough to distract it.

We used Vigilance to clear 4+ bars of stability damage on Kalnaur, and reduce the pain. That helped, and with the beacon placed, Kalnaur jumped away with thin but unbroken armor. Unfortunately, even as they exposed their backs to the rest of the team, the Kintaro, Shadowhawk and a Locust relentless focused on Kalnaur. They switched to melee attacks, and soon took out a leg. Kalnaur toppled, and after another round of powerful kicks against already paper thin armor...

R6TPFwI.png
    @Kalnaur went down.

Fanda, Evma and Polaritie, having placed their beacons, violently ended the Kintaro, Shadowhawk and Locust on their way to the extraction point - as reinforcements - unidentified 50 and 45 tonners - closed in from the east, and made it to the extraction site on the last possible turn.

3zd4hWm.png

g9nGsPu.png

RIP in Kalnaur. You were one of our best.

In entirely unrelated news, Elvenshae's Exploders (now rocking two Orions!) is recruiting! The next three mechwarriors to @iolo will be added to our illustrious payroll.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Reporting for duty! @Iolo

steam_sig.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    HELL YEAH HADES

The onky announded here game that I am truly hyped for. Roguelike + mythology + Supergiant = instant buy from me.

I'd love to hear what state of early access it is in. I've always loved the art and graphics in their games more than the gameplay, but this looks like that's about to change because this game looks made for me.

@Pixelated Pixie what are the best movies loaded on this console in the medbay? Any hidden gems?

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    @iolo, is this the way to Valhalla?

s7Imn5J.png
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    @iolo take me I am ready!

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    @Mugsley
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @Pixelated Pixie what are the best movies loaded on this console in the medbay? Any hidden gems?

See, here's the thing. First, you get Adam in requisitions to procure you one of those MX-12A decryption devices - you know the one I mean. If he's reluctant, just remind him about the incident with the hamster. He'll get what you need. Then, when the nurses aren't looking, you remove the back of the remote health monitor attached to your bed (you DO have your all-purpose personal tool device on you, right?) and look for the tiny (but ridiculously powerful) internal Argo-tec antenna on the left side. Remove that, set it aside. Why the hell they ever put one of those in these monitors is a mystery, but hey, gift horses and all that.

Near where the antenna was, you'll see three wires running vertically in the monitor - a black one, a white one, and a blue one. Being super careful not to touch the white one (unless you want every nurse in the hospital to come running like your heart just exploded, which is super funny but not at all helpful), remove the blue wire. Strip the coating and secure that in place of the antenna you removed. It'll work perfectly fine as a cheap, crappy antenna for what the monitor needs to do in this place. Replace the cover on the health monitor.

Now attach the Argo-tec antenna to the entertainment console, and insert the MX-12A decryption device in the card slot. You now have access to every channel in the galaxy. Yes, even that one. And it all gets billed to the hospital.

As an added bonus: by removing the blue wire in the health monitor, your condition will seem worse than it actually is, and you can stay here for weeks if you want. When you get bored, just rewire it again. Miraculous recovery!

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    The Exploders took on a "Target Acquisition" mission for the first time.

You know, the "target" in "target acquisition" means you. All that "satellite beacons" technical stuff is just a smokescreen, what the mission is actually all about is "please stand in these small circles while we shoot at you".

Regret to inform that Adam, formerly of requisitions, tragically, accidentally tripped and fell out of an airlock.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Oh. That's... wow, that's unfortunate.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    ME2 was great! The only real problem was how the areas were segmented with 'rivers' of roads (because of console limitations)
    What's wrong with the sequel? Is the first game good enough standalone that someone could play it and get an entire story? I have the first one but have never gotten around to playing it, but I don't want to bother if I'm just gonna end up with a cliffhanger that I'll never resolve due to Origin.

The sequel is a rebooted origin story (yes). The plots aren't connected at all other than featuring similar themes, so you're safe. Also the first game's plot was never like a strong selling point to begin with. It's serviceable but the game is good for other reasons.

Anyway, maybe this will be a thing where I replay Catalyst down the line and learn to love it, mirroring my experience with the first game, but I thought the open-world aspect reduced the streamlined focus of the first game and left you constantly retracing your route (now we're running across this big skybridge, now we're running through the ventilator fans again, etc.) and a lot of the gaps between buildings were enormous and required either something like said skybridge (single path) or later the grappling hook. I also disliked the transition from the first game's just-around-the-corner futurism, where the cities looked like slightly cleaner, sterilized versions of modern cities and the freerunners used the rooftops because they were as empty as ours, to Catalyst's higher-tech future where the roofs of skyscrapers feel little different than street level (populated with civilians relaxing at lounges) and the government's control over society includes tracking people by wirelessly-linked contact lenses, and in which everyone is rigidly stratified into a caste system tied to corporations. Mirror's Edge was like our world in ten minutes, while Catalyst was like "let's write a dystopia!"

I think there was stuff I disliked about gameplay and combat, but it's been awhile and the impressions are vague so I won't venture into them. I'll give it another shot down the line. I will say the first teaser for the game hyped the fuck out of me and I still love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6PXba8X6N8

s7Imn5J.png
    Hey, apropos of nothing, if anyone is looking for any MX-12A decryption devices, I happen to have a stash of them and I'd love to cut you a special deal on one...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Hmm, that said from the original developers of Fallout and the developers of New Vegas... Wasn't Inexile more the original Fallout people? I wonder if they are effectively merged at this point.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So, remember that nice story a while ago about a Dad and his daughter who wanted to be in Ghouls 'n Ghosts? So the Dad, being the cool Dad that he is had a game made just for her. Well the game went live and it is called, Battle Princess Madelyn. Hopefully this post will invite more to add this game to their wishlist.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So, remember that nice story a while ago about a Dad and his daughter who wanted to be in Ghouls 'n Ghosts? So the Dad, being the cool Dad that he is had a game made just for her. Well the game went live and it is called, Battle Princess Madelyn. Hopefully this post will invite more to add this game to their wishlist.

@CorriganX streamed this last night and might have some things to say about it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

CorriganX streamed this last night and might have some things to say about it.

OOOH, I hope it is good things. Please let it be good things...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited December 2018
    Welcome @destroyah87 to the Exploders!

XmDOFhU.png

(Who goes on one mission and then apparently has, um, some schemes to build better things and make all the money...?

DipZTIQ.png

Focus on the mechwarrioring, please.

Also welcome @SoundsPlush!

QClTXIs.png

@ToyD, you'll be up next as soon as we find someone worth hiring. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    @Iolo, crusher of dreams...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Oh no, I love dreams.

They just have to have a higher chance of profitability.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Does everybody clench their jaws?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I bought my mom Call of Cthulhu for her birthday. I hope she enjoys it.

Iolo wrote: »
    Oh no, I love dreams.

They just have to have a higher chance of profitability.

Profitability?

Hey, boss? Can I interest you in branching out into sales of MX-12A decryption devices?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Does everybody clench their jaws?

Look it's really intense sitting/standing for that photo.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Photography is lostec.
    Its the 1850s out here. You are an insane person if you can smile for the entire 15minutes to take the photo.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Welcome aboard @ToyD!

S5McVRF.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Fanatical has a Road Rage Bundle for $4

And StarDeal of Total Warhammer 2 for $27

Karoz on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

CorriganX streamed this last night and might have some things to say about it.

OOOH, I hope it is good things. Please let it be good things...

@Pixelated Pixie gifted me it yesterday, I put an hour or so into it. Its very unpolished atm, its got some bugs like getting stuck in animations when climbing up and down ladders, being unable to attack because your character keeps switching between the "climb" animation and running animation every frame. Need to climb back on a ladder to reset it and fix it. The game is VERY pixel-y, I had to run it in a 720 window to play it without really hating the look. (I have a 1440 monitor and at 1080p window it just looked too big for the art style) but its really great as a homage to G&G. It plays a lot like Ghouls n' Ghosts from the animation perspective, but the "Story mode" is way more Metroidvania than regular G&G style. I had to explore the 2nd level to pick up Double Jump which I really needed to finish exploring the first area. There are 2 modes, Story and Arcade, I haven't given Arcade a shot maybe that one is more G&G style gameplay wise? The combat is very basic so far, a lot of things are not really explained though. When you take a hit you lose your armor, like G&G, but if you take another hit you get killed. If you have energy (an icon in the top right shows it) you will get revived and back in the fight. I've found an npc who mentions that is your ghost puppy's magic meter reviving you and to be careful using ghost puppy spells because it drains it, but I have no idea how to get the ghost puppy skills or anything.

Overall it has some serious flaws (It is an indie game afterall) but its pretty fun. 6/10 or so? I need to put a lot more time into it to explore it. The music is pretty okay, the graphics are very much what they were going for? The enemies sometimes spawn directly ontop of you, the game suffers from a lack of tutorials and direction for what to do in the beginning, but overall its a pretty okay time. I wouldn't be gushing about it, but its okay.

Thanks again Pixie, for the gift. You monster. <3<3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.

Hmm, that said from the original developers of Fallout and the developers of New Vegas... Wasn't Inexile more the original Fallout people? I wonder if they are effectively merged at this point.

Brian Fargo at inExile did send his congratulations to Obsidian. Both companies have people who worked on the original two Fallout games.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The rest of the games of the December Monthly Bundle have been unlocked:
    • Mega Man Legacy Collection
    • Zombie Army Trilogy
    • Immortal Redneck
    • Purrfect Date - Visual Novel/Dating Simulator
    • Seven: The Days Long Gone
    • NeuroVoider

Also, the early unlocks of the next January bundle have been revealed:
    • Just cause 3 XL
    • Wizard of Legend
    • Project Cars 2

HiT BiT on
    Why does @ToyD look like they are cringing?

Also chrono.gg has Starbound as their daily deal today. Under $10!

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Why does @ToyD look like they are cringing?

Because as I was brought on board, I got to hear @destroyah87 tell me about his plan to power the ship with stolen garden gnomes. Then he got caught.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    The rest of the games of the December Monthly Bundle have been unlocked:
    • Mega Man Legacy Collection
    • Zombie Army Trilogy
    • Immortal Redneck
    • Purrfect Date - Visual Novel/Dating Simulator
    • Seven: The Days Long Gone
    • NeuroVoider

Also, the early unlocks of the next January bundle have been revealed:
    • Just cause 3 XL
    • Wizard of Legend
    • Project Cars 2

I'm pretty happy with most of these games. A bunch of them I've never heard of, and I've been kind of wanting Just Cause 3 for a while. I remember hearing good things about Wizard of Legend a while back.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Are there any games like Slay the Spire that kind of do something interesting in the single player card game genre? Looking for some recommendations after trying Darkest Dungeon for the first time in a while (remembered that I hated everything but the aesthetics) and trying out Monster Slayers again (basically worse than Slay the Spire in every possible way, and I already play a ton of Slay the Spire).

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!