As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Doing quests has become quite the chore. I'm lvl 18 doing quests, and I have to beat a wendigo enemy to complete quest. Wendigo is lvl 32. I waste all my ammo and grenades, get it down to low health... then it kills me. I respawn, and oh look, Mr. Wendigo is back to full health. Without grenades I can't get his health down enough to kill him. Why must they make quest mobs so overleveled? After the 5th attempt I'm pretty much giving up on this wendigo quest.

If you are taking on the wendigo at company cabins on the dried lakebed, there is a collapsed building with a bunch of steel beams sticking out. You can hide in there, and the wendigo has a really hard time connecting hits through the wreckage while shooting is unobstructed. It still takes a good supply of stimpacks and ammo, but it makes it doable even when you have a huge gap in levels.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I had a level 30 mirelurk king spawn almost right on top of my level 13 character last night. Scared the bejezus out of me. That was awkward. Cue a lot of running in circles and spamming stimpaks while hopped up on med-x and psycho and going through ludicrous amounts of ammo.

But hey, I won! It was awesome.

5/7, would pee pants again.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    is there a list of good builds somewhere?

also, why the hell does the game give me so many perk cards when I have to level up by choosing the special and perk card I want?

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Doing quests has become quite the chore. I'm lvl 18 doing quests, and I have to beat a wendigo enemy to complete quest. Wendigo is lvl 32. I waste all my ammo and grenades, get it down to low health... then it kills me. I respawn, and oh look, Mr. Wendigo is back to full health. Without grenades I can't get his health down enough to kill him. Why must they make quest mobs so overleveled? After the 5th attempt I'm pretty much giving up on this wendigo quest.

If you are taking on the wendigo at company cabins on the dried lakebed, there is a collapsed building with a bunch of steel beams sticking out. You can hide in there, and the wendigo has a really hard time connecting hits through the wreckage while shooting is unobstructed. It still takes a good supply of stimpacks and ammo, but it makes it doable even when you have a huge gap in levels.

It's the one in the cave. I've been trying to find a spot to cheese it but haven't found one. I'm dead after just a few swipes which doesn't help at all. I think they meant for players to group up for it, but honestly I wish it was just an instanced dungeon with all mobs at my own level and actually doable solo. I have no ps4 fallout 76ers to carry me unfortunately

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Yes, I'm stuck on that one, too. It's meant to be a Dungeon requiring a group, otherwise you need to overlevel it. It's specifically the quest that I was referring to above where my stealthy sniper build really struggles. Once that Wendigo gets into melee range, it's all over.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    All the potential legal and monetary ramifications of this data leak... because they wanted to cheap out and save a few bucks on some bags. Keep on keepin on Bethesda.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    However ! I did kill a Wendigo outside of the Wendigo Cave, and he dropped a Gauss Rifle, so score !

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Had an exciting time when I visited scenic Sugar Grove. Walked in at L26 and found an L42 Assaultron and a pair of L54 Gutsies.

That was not a good time, though at least it was brief.

In good news, switching servers made it marginally less crazy. But they really need to think about what happens when two players at different ends of the level spectrum have wandered into and out of the same area.

But they really need to think about what happens when two players at different ends of the level spectrum have wandered into and out of the same area.

Agreed. Eventually the high-level Mooks will de-spawn, but the quickest way to insure this is to switch servers.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    is there a list of good builds somewhere?

also, why the hell does the game give me so many perk cards when I have to level up by choosing the special and perk card I want?

I actually think putting a point into a certain special just to get certain cards while leveling may be a bit of a trap. You can put the point anywhere and still get the cards from a different stat. You only continue getting stats up to lvl 50 and then it's just choose a card every level.

This means a couple of things. Without accounting what each stat gives basically (Health, Melee Dmg, etc) With the ability to switch out cards at will, you mostly want the stats for as many cards as you would carry normally. Which means if you're only putting points into Science to get crafting skills you really only need 5 for the max level of a crafting card. And then you can switch out other science cards when you're not crafting. You don't need 5 + additional lvls for the other cards you want.

There's also some character planners:
    https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks?v=1&s=1111211&d=i11&w=&n=

So you can get an idea of where the cards for your preferred play style may be.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    "You think I like hitting you?!"

"I just wanted the exclusive power armor paint! Please don't kill me!"

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    "You think I like hitting you?!"

"I just wanted the exclusive power armor paint! Please don't kill me!"

"I swear this job is getting weirder every fucking day. I wonder if CDPR is hiring."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited December 2018
    Obsidian announced a new game (The Outer Worlds) at the game awards and it basically looks like them doing a spiritual successor to New Vegas in a more scifi setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSp7CIORMU

*lone tear of joy rolls down face*

Dr. Chaos on
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Beth is going to get Glory Killed in the coming years.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Rick Sanchez introduces you to the New Vegas written spiritual Fallout-Borderlands/Firefly hybrid, featuring Dead Space armour.

I am so on board this you have no idea.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Looks more like BORDERLANDS.

Yeah it looks like someone really wanted the Borderlands style but didn't want to be attacked for cribbing the style so just went part way and ended up with something kinda bland visually.

Tone wise, it seems more Firefly-ish and less Borderlands, which isn't a bad thing.

I guess if I liked New Vegas more, this would seem more exciting. I'll keep my eye one it; I just hope it has less comically bad factions than New Vegas.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Is the Atom shop mostly not showing items for anyone else? Emotes work and a handful of apparel, but everything else doesn't load.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

Yeah it looks like someone really wanted the Borderlands style but didn't want to be attacked for cribbing the style so just went part way and ended up with something kinda bland visually.

Tone wise, it seems more Firefly-ish and less Borderlands, which isn't a bad thing.

I guess if I liked New Vegas more, this would seem more exciting. I'll keep my eye one it; I just hope it has less comically bad factions than New Vegas.

I am ready to be significantly disappointed when 50% of the cool effects and stuff in that trailer end up not being in the game.

edited December 2018
    The Outer Worlds tidbits.

Dialogue system!
    Low INT responses!
    Party members!
    Open ended quests, multiple ways to complete! "We’re happy to say that you can kill everybody in the game and still finish the main story arc. You’d be a psychopath, but you could do it.”
    Explore a solar system!
    Gallows humor!

I am very excited.

edit- and one of the Corporations is basically Mom's Friendly Robot Company, but for drugs.

Axen on
    I am ready to be disappointed because, well, it's Obsidian, and so far that's all they've ever delivered me. :lol:

... I'll still buy it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    There's a lot of people from the defunct Troika working on this too, which is only good news to me.

Troika, you say?

The guys who made two of my favorite games ever?

Fine. Take my money.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I am ready to be disappointed because, well, it's Obsidian, and so far that's all they've ever delivered me. :lol:

... I'll still buy it.

Chris Avellone (who isn't at Obsidian anymore) did an interview recently about his work on Pathfinder: Kingmaker (which is a great game that's pulling itself out of a buggy release), and it clarified something that has been bothering me about the studio for awhile. He was talking about how, in his view, every interaction and piece of writing in the game should serve to propel the game's primary themes and narrative, and it hit me that this is why I have been so disappointed in the Pillars of Eternity games. It was in the context of teaching the player about the world through play and not lore dumps, but it still really underlined my issue with modern Obsidian.

Their world's feel so dry because they lack the little touches that make them feel like a real place, the digressions and oddball characters doing their own thing that make games like The Witcher, Bioware, and Bethesda's games come alive. So much of Pillars games are about worldbuilding around the gods, souls, politics, and magic that it all feels kind of flat. It worked really well in Planescape: Torment, because the way everything tied together was part of a larger mystery, but it has been diminishing returns ever since.

Incidentally, Kingmaker actually doesn't suffer from this problem. It's a game where you may be dealing with the uber plot one minute then deciding which farmer owns a pig the next, and it feels connected because it feels natural that that's what the lord of a small barony would be doing.

Phillishere on
    That sounds exactly like the issue. I just get so bored in their games with the flatness of everything.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    That sounds exactly like the issue. I just get so bored in their games with the flatness of everything.

Yeah the woman who was in Avellone's position for PoE2 talked about it a bit.

She said that for PoE1 Avellone turned in his draft for the story and didn't get any notes back. She thought that was weird at the time but figured, "He is Chris Avellone, maybe he is that good."

For PoE2 when she turned in her draft she also didn't get any notes back and thought, "Now I know I'm not that good."

Though based on the trailer for The Outer Worlds it at least looks like they remembered the world needs to have life to it. I'm still quite excited for more info on it and barring any large scale "WTF?" news about it I can already see myself purchasing the game day one.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Haven't the Troika folks been at Obsidian for a while, and have worked on Pillars as well?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fallout in Space. Man, I hope they've still got that magic.

BORDERLANDS and DEAD SPACE are effectively Fallout In Space, so this thing needs to bring something quite new to the table.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    BORDERLANDS and DEAD SPACE are effectively Fallout In Space, so this thing needs to bring something quite new to the table.

Wait what no. Neither of those games are similar to what people attribute to fall out at all? Like dead space nor borderlands had skill checks or dialogue options? Like to say they are fall out in space is to distill fall out down to "has guns and shoot things."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    BORDERLANDS, with its run-down abandoned bases and mountains of trash hiding all manner of strange mutated creatures and aggressive mobs of humans, that's FALLOUT at its core, as long as you narrow down that core to:

a. Driving around in magically re-spawning vehicles, and

b. Shooting stuff

What apart from branching dialogue choices, multiple ways to complete quests (including smooth talking), party members, faction choices, character creation/building, and consequences for actions?

But can we really expect Obsidian, given their past history, to deliver all that ? I certainly hope that they do, but mutter mutter triumph of enthusiasm over experience something something.

Well I got more faith in them to deliver than I do Bethesda. For what it's worth.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Fallout in Space reminds me of Mothership Zeta DLC. Which I LOVED the concept of, despite the actual DLC being kind of boring. I've always liked the whole 50s alien invasion theme

edited December 2018
    Some more TOW tidbits.

No romance options. They feel like romances in games typically suck, so they want to spend those resources fleshing out party members as people instead.

It has basically VATS complete with vanity shots.

There are Perks and Phobias. The game will occasionally offer you the choice to take a Phobia based on whats been going on. The Phobia will decrease your stats in certain situations or around certain enemies. However, if you take the Phobia you can then take a Perk. Otherwise you get Perks every X levels like in most other games.

Dialogue skills are Lie, Intimidate, Persuade and can be used during conversation of course. However those same skills will also play a role in combat.

Your party members will take part in conversations and their dialogue skills can be used as well.

You're not forced to work with anyone and can betray or work with whoever you want (at least until you piss everyone off). They mention that the Scientist dude in the trailer you can betray to the Govt right off the bat and work for the Govt instead.

There'll be 10 MegaCorps each with their own line of (sometimes overlapping) products. One of which is basically Space Walmart that sells cheap (both cost and production wise) stuff.

No voiced Protag.

You can complete the Main Story under your own initiative, but it would be easier if you sided with someone.

Axen on
    Maybe we need a separate thread for Outer Worlds... ?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited December 2018
    Game has RPG stats, perks and even VATS.

Its not Borderlands. Its Obsidian doing their own take on a Bethesda style RPG again.

Dr. Chaos on
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    BORDERLANDS, with its run-down abandoned bases and mountains of trash hiding all manner of strange mutated creatures and aggressive mobs of humans, that's FALLOUT at its core, as long as you narrow down that core to:

a. Driving around in magically re-spawning vehicles, and

b. Shooting stuff

Why are you typing game names in all caps