As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    i haven't had a haircut in a few weeks! i look like a mess! no pic, just imagine it please

Yeah I haven't had a haircut since before Halloween

And now it's feeling like... maybe I should wait a couple of weeks so I have that good Christmas hair, y'know?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You gents are looking good.

Thanks!

My hair grows really fast and gets really thick, I have it thinned when it's cut, so I need to go like every four weeks. It is a pain.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My hair grows quickly, but it starts to look pretty thing and stringy? not quite to whispy yet, but I'm on the way, so I have found it looks best if I get it cut every two weeks

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I've been feeling quite down about my appearance recently and I often find a good chop perks one right up.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    went to a metalcore show tonight at my favorite local punk venue that is closing down later this month

uc3ufTB.png
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    uh fuck yeah
    ps_tckn_ps_ckn_grande.JPG
    @Darth Waiter

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I couldn't book a haircut until next week with my guy and I'm genuinely considering cutting my own bangs. How hard can it be?!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I couldn't book a haircut until next week with my guy and I'm genuinely considering cutting my own bangs. How hard can it be?!

One hour later...
    shutterstock_5886126ap.jpg?w=780

honovere on
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

One hour later...
    furiosa.jpg

Not a bad look, but.. don't slip and hit your arm until tynic is available to help out with the prosthesis.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Hey Fashion Thread, I think you might be able to help me with something.

The people I celebrate Christmas with have a terrible holiday tradition where we all give each other pajamas on Christmas Eve (presumably to avoid the wrath of the Yule Cat). These pajamas then are worn on Christmas morn, for opening presents and eating breakfast and so on.

As a person who does not wear pajamas in any form and finds them essentially universally uncomfortable, I assume that we maintain this tradition exclusively to spite me.

But it persists, and now I need to find some pajamas for my best friend. In the spirit of making everyone else as unhappy about this tradition as I am, I want to find something that is at least on some level terrible for him. The only rule is that I know he won't wear anything that shows too much of his dick, because he's a coward and also because he has a small child and that would be kind of weird.

Straightzi on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey Fashion Thread, I think you might be able to help me with something.

The people I celebrate Christmas with have a terrible holiday tradition where we all give each other pajamas on Christmas Eve (presumably to avoid the wrath of the Yule Cat). These pajamas then are worn on Christmas morn, for opening presents and eating breakfast and so on.

As a person who does not wear pajamas in any form and finds them essentially universally uncomfortable, I assume that we maintain this tradition exclusively to spite me.

But it persists, and now I need to find some pajamas for my best friend. In the spirit of making everyone else as unhappy about this tradition as I am, I want to find something that is at least on some level terrible for him. The only rule is that I know he won't wear anything that shows too much of his dick, because he's a coward and also because he has a small child and that would be kind of weird.

My Little Pony onesie?

Union suit?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well this is the first I've heard of the Yule Cat and I love it

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well this is the first I've heard of the Yule Cat and I love it

AND the Yule Lads, coming into town for a cheeky Nando's and a bit of banter down at Yates

Y'all

What the hell do I do with mustache part of my beard?

I sort of want to be one of the goof balls with a handlebar mustache, but growing it out for two weeks has been irritating

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Trim it with scissors if it's getting unruly/growing faster than the rest and looking uneven. I probably have to trim mine twice as often as the rest of my beard because otherwise it gets in the way.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Union suit?

I did this a couple years ago, and it was extremely successful.

edited December 2018
    I guess it can take three months to go full handlebar

You can buy wax and combs to train and maintain your mustache

Hmm

I don't know if my mustache hair is thick enough for that, now that I've looked at it

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2018
    Holy shit, the beard and mustache growing and grooming rabbit hole is
    D
    E
    E
    P

DouglasDanger on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the beard and mustache growing and grooming rabbit hole is
    D
    E
    E
    P

Once I actually thought about this for a minute I'm completely not surprised. Of course it is super deep. I remember when I was figuring out how to use a safety razor, there was all kinds of stuff about it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    You can always do what I did and just not shave for 6 months and just oil and balm and wax the beard out of the way.

It was.... a lot.

We had a person here who had some ritual to have your face smooth on a molecular level, I wonder whatever happened to them.

I think I'll ask my barber on Monday to skip trimming my mustache, just clean up the beard and give me a buzzed haircut

Get one of those little combs and some wax

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    71DGQ19RltL._SX679_.jpg
    i guess it's a sleeved blanket and not PJs, but still

here's the business
    513v2YWKJRL._UY879_.jpg
    go for that eyesore, or opt for the brown for the equally, but distinctly, unflattering.

...ah shit, if this weren't 70 bucks, i might go for it, it's fuckin cute
    ring-tailed-lemur-kigurumi-onesie-sazac-23887939085_2048x2048_21cda76d-f52e-42ee-9dbf-7e62e6f527a5_512x512.jpg

$56 and 8-9 business days to Chicago
    olaf-kigurumi-onesie-sazac-23887376717_2048x2048_350b7bcf-bdcb-4189-abda-bf589f6f0da9_480x.jpg?v=1543416832
    ugh

or, cheaper + dick jokes
    818IoHLBvuL._UY879_.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    edited December 2018
    I've been looking pretty hard at this number myself:

BM2SWy4.png

But I can't decide if that's just because I want him to leave it behind so I can claim it for myself.

Straightzi on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Teach me about hairspray!

I got a haircut at a new place and the guy put stuff in my hair before blow drying, which I have never done. Bought that stuff, but it was pretty expensive. He blowdryed and then used a “working hairspray,” which I know he said didn’t have an especially strong hold. “You can run your fingers through it”

I asked him a bit about it, and his attitude (“it’s just hairspray” (I have never used hairspray, no idea about types)) made me think I could probably find a cheaper brand with a comparable effect rather than buying another of their pricey products

But no other brand at the grocery store/Rite Aid seems to be a “working hairspray” (which seemed to me to be a particular kind, but I’m not sure). I really like what he did and I want to be able to replicate this at home— please help!

I’m afraid of getting something too strong or to weak, I just don’t know what I’m doing

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hm I've never used a working hairspray myself, but with normal hairspray I'd say there's very little between brands other than the smell. A cheap hairspray can have the same strength/hold as a high end one except it'll have that distinct chemical intense smell you get with hairspray sometimes (I'm talking less than £1 price). Get something with a nicer / minimal smell, and I'd start with a medium strength one as you can always add another layer if it's too weak, or spray and walk through it if it's too strong. It's trial and error and of course depends on hair type, my hair is very fine textured for context.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What, in particular, did you like about the way it made your hair look/feel? Because there's a bunch of different hairspray products that do different things. Examples
    - provide body
    - add shine
    - smooth frizz
    - add varying degrees of hold

Feel free to drop in a photo of the one you have, someone here might be able to tell you more from the label.

You could also try a light-hold gel or styling mud - same effect but less chance of a weird odour. If you're not looking for something to freeze your hair in place then I don't think there's much reason to use a hairspray specifically.

Beard brush
    Beard combo
    Mustache comb
    Mustache wax

Patience

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    What, in particular, did you like about the way it made your hair look/feel? Because there's a bunch of different hairspray products that do different things. Examples
    - provide body
    - add shine
    - smooth frizz
    - add varying degrees of hold

Feel free to drop in a photo of the one you have, someone here might be able to tell you more from the label.

You could also try a light-hold gel or styling mud - same effect but less chance of a weird odour. If you're not looking for something to freeze your hair in place then I don't think there's much reason to use a hairspray specifically.

I don't own a hairspray, I'm posting here prior to buying one in case I buy the wrong one. And I have no idea what specifically made it work, I'm just trying to replicate what the hairstylist did and I'm concerned that if I don't buy something more or less the same as what he used, it will look bad

edited December 2018
    Ah ok, I misunderstood this part of your post. Namely the part where you said you bought hairspray.
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Bought that stuff, but it was pretty expensive.

Do you have a before/after of the haircut, then? Or just buy a bunch of cheaper stuff and see what works. If it looks bad you just rinse it out, it's not a hair death knell.

Because seriously, we have even less chance of knowing what the hell your hairdresser put on you than you do. We don't even have visuals here. Best guess, sight unseen, no further details, you probably want a light hold hairspray. But I wouldnt bet my firstborn on it or anything.

tynic on
    edited December 2018
    Oh! I see how that’s misleading— I bought whatever pre-blowdry gunk he put in it. All my products are for after blow drying, so I bought this new gunk, was expensive though. It went: shampoo, haircut, rinse, towel dry, gunk, blow dry/brush, hairspray. I bought the gunk, not the hairspray

My main question was— I don’t recall the brand, but the label said “working hairspray,” which I thought I understood to be a specific kind of hairspray that any brand might have in their lineup. He made it sound very basic and commonplace. But on going to the store and searching google, it doesn’t actually seem to be some specific category of hairspray, like I can’t find a definition of what would separate a “working hairspray” from any other kind and none of the brands that I can buy at the store use that term, which is why I’m confused

Edit: to be clear, my first post may have been a bit jumbled because I got the haircut, stopped at the the store, read labels for half an hour and realized I didn’t understand enough to make a purchase, and posted from the store, not knowing who else to ask. This is very new territory for me— I only first used hair product of any kind a few years ago, got a blow dryer a year ago, bought my first brush a few months ago. I’ve never used hairspray in my life, so I figured I’d ask before wasting my money

Jimothy on
    Honestly no clue, I thought at first he might mean something you work through the hair rather than spray on at the end, but now I see he used it at the end.

Is the place close enough to just go and ask? Most hairdressers I know would be pretty chuffed if someone swung by and said "hey you made my hair look really great, can you talk to me a bit about yhe products you used?"

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So it looks like "working hairspray" is generally type seen only in professional brands and not drugstore brands. Ulta does sell several labelled "working hairspray." (though not the most popular ones by Oribe, KMS, or Cezanne that keep turning up and are $$$). However, it does look like "flexible hairspray" may do what you're looking for.

Disclaimer: I only use hairspray to tame fraggle hair along my part, so I am only working from some internet research here.

N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So it looks like "working hairspray" is generally type seen only in professional brands and not drugstore brands. Ulta does sell several labelled "working hairspray." (though not the most popular ones by Oribe, KMS, or Cezanne that keep turning up and are $$$). However, it does look like "flexible hairspray" may do what you're looking for.

Disclaimer: I only use hairspray to tame fraggle hair along my part, so I am only working from some internet research here.

This actually helps a lot! When I googled I kept getting “how does hairspray work?” I wondered if there might be a synonym. Knowing that it’s something that’s specific to professional brands explains the lack of common knowledge and thus why it wouldn’t turn up on a google search. I’ll look into sprays that say “flexible” if that’s comparable

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Columbia is making a reproduction of the coats the cast and crew worn when filming the Hoth segments for Empire Strikes Back. Apparently they had custom coats made for everyone. It is nerdy enough that I want one but I don't have $500 to spend even though it is also a real warm winter coat.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Columbia is making a reproduction of the coats the cast and crew worn when filming the Hoth segments for Empire Strikes Back. Apparently they had custom coats made for everyone. It is nerdy enough that I want one but I don't have $500 to spend even though it is also a real warm winter coat.

If it's anything like the on-set reproductions from last year then they're definitely worth the money. I bought the Han Solo one last year and it is the cosiest thing I have ever worn

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

https://www.propermag.com/site/star-wars-empire-crew-parka-by-columbia-sportswear-2018-12

I dunno how to do that Instagram flames emoji thing here

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

https://www.propermag.com/site/star-wars-empire-crew-parka-by-columbia-sportswear-2018-12

I dunno how to do that Instagram flames emoji thing here

🔥🔥🔥

Oh man those look fantastic

I don't need another winter coat. I don't need another winter coat. I don't need another.. hnnngh

Oh thank goodness they're sold out

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The only good thing about winter is scarves cause I fuckin love scarves
    yqv252g6pl1u.jpg

Also Haha I can wear a size small shirt now lol what