As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I still think it’d be cool if they let you buy a precon deck for like $15. Yeah they’re not very good, but they give 2x of various blues and some purps, and one or two legendaries as well.

It’s good way to get someone started without completely overwhelming them or leaving them in the dust compared to seasoned players. They get specific cards to work with and can build from there.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I still think it’d be cool if they let you buy a precon deck for like $15. Yeah they’re not very good, but they give 2x of various blues and some purps, and one or two legendaries as well.

It’s good way to get someone started without completely overwhelming them or leaving them in the dust compared to seasoned players. They get specific cards to work with and can build from there.

I sort of wish instead that you got something like 1 or (very rarely) 2 special coins every time you complete a daily quest. For something like fifty of those coins, you "buy" a premade deck. New players get a one-time quest for 50 coins once they reach rank 25.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Ugh. From 2-0 to 2-3 in Brawl.

Oh well.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Shinyfinder had better be better than Novice Engineer. The former is a class card and the latter is a neutral!
    But what I'm saying is being a specific draw effect is already better. It's not just rogue stuff either, Tol'Vir Warden, Crystology, Forge of Souls, Ice Fishing, Juicy Psychmelon are all costed like the tutoring part is a disadvantage. Sure not all of them are played because the support isn't there, but as we can see with Juicy Psychmelon in wild the effects can be pretty crazy strong. If they want to push an archetype like weapon warrior I think tutoring is a really dangerous way to do it.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I sort of wish instead that you got something like 1 or (very rarely) 2 special coins every time you complete a daily quest. For something like fifty of those coins, you "buy" a premade deck. New players get a one-time quest for 50 coins once they reach rank 25.

Thats what Wizbang is for. Honestly Wizbang is an amazing idea, and I hope they make him classic and keep updating him so we have a nice easy way to play diverse decks with cards we didnt have.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    EDIT: Joke's not funny and apparently confusing.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Whizbang doesn't rotate until 2020.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Yeah i regretted crafting him for a minute there... Then i realised it wasn't true.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I think something like that could work too.

From my perspective, $15 is a reasonable sum to get you started. Of course that’s not accessible for everyone and I understand that. But while I don’t think Blizzard’s pay model is the worst, it certainly isn’t very generous.

Ideally you’d have a f2p option to earn directly the cards from a premade deck, but also just let people make the purchase for a reasonable price because while you’re certainly not competitive out of thegate, the game is free and still offers of lot of content for no money.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've made my own version of discard lock, that makes huge lifestealing taunts quite consistently thx to prince keleseth, Deathaxe Punisher (need one more of these) and Soul infusion.

It's very fun, and thx to all the card draw (and witchwood Piper) you combine the components very fast.

### I have the POWERRRRRRR
    # Class: Warlock
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 1x (1) Lakkari Sacrifice
    # 2x (1) Mortal Coil
    # 2x (1) Shriek
    # 2x (1) Soul Infusion
    # 2x (1) Soulfire
    # 1x (2) Prince Keleseth
    # 2x (3) Howlfiend
    # 2x (3) Reckless Diretroll
    # 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (4) Cataclysm
    # 1x (4) Deathaxe Punisher
    # 1x (4) High Priestess Jeklik
    # 1x (4) Lakkari Felhound
    # 2x (4) Witchwood Piper
    # 2x (5) Despicable Dreadlord
    # 2x (5) Doomguard
    # 1x (10) Bloodreaver Gul'dan
    #
    AAECAf0GBoDHApHHApXQApfTApziAvCGAwz3BM4HxAibwgLKwwKSzQL3zQLO6QKm8ALT+ALShgOvjQMA
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I really don't think the tutoring effects much of a problem with the exception of Psychomelon, since that one is literally just "draw your entire combo". Forge of Souls guaranteeing Woecleaver on 8 isn't busted, it just helps the deck be a bit more consistent--or otherwise it's a good value card as a one-of in pretty much any Warrior deck. Things like Crystology and Small Time Recruits can be powerful, but they require really creative deckbuilding to get to that point so I'm good with it.

As long as the tutors aren't enabling degenerate combos (maybe toss Sandbinder into that pile too), it's nothing to be worried about.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    And in Sandbinder's case, the tutoring isn't costed as a disadvantage. It's budgeted identically to Gnomish Inventor.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Shinyfinder had better be better than Novice Engineer. The former is a class card and the latter is a neutral!
    But what I'm saying is being a specific draw effect is already better. It's not just rogue stuff either, Tol'Vir Warden, Crystology, Forge of Souls, Ice Fishing, Juicy Psychmelon are all costed like the tutoring part is a disadvantage. Sure not all of them are played because the support isn't there, but as we can see with Juicy Psychmelon in wild the effects can be pretty crazy strong. If they want to push an archetype like weapon warrior I think tutoring is a really dangerous way to do it.
    By this logic, Tol'Vir Warden, Crystology, Forge of Souls, and Ice Fishing should be nerfed?

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    https://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/174484-manly-pemix-strong-language

why run forge of souls when you could run 30 weapons tho

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Tutoring is only broken if there's something broken that it enables.

Raiding Party/Cavern Shinyfinder are broken because of Kingsbane. Without Kingsbane, they would be 100% fine. But it exists and enables that deck to be even more fucking stupid, and thus they're broken. But Cavern Shinyfinder in, say, Deathrattle Rogue? Which only pulls Necrium Blade? Yeah, perfectly balanced.

Curator still remains one of my favorite balanced Tutor cards because it encouraged you to build your deck in a specific way, and it was a decently strong card without being busted.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think its real stretch to call Kingsbane broken. Annoying sure, but the deck folds to aggro and sometimes it just never gets Kingsbane/Leeching and autoloses.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    yeah meanwhile i'm sitting over here with baku paladin climbing to legend without even really trying, there's some broken shit

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Did odd paly even get any new toys?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Zul'Jin is a magical card that we don't deserve. Shame on those who said he wouldn't see play until DK Rexxar rotated out.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Did odd paly even get any new toys?

Yeah, a bunch of people playing suboptimal decks.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    i'm currently running exactly the list that was popular before the expansion. no void rippers because people are playing weird shit that doesn't work instead of druid.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Is "This deck is stupid-broken and unfun to play against if the gameplan comes together, but feels like crawling up a slippery mud-bank to play when you don't get the Correct Draws" a thing that's prevalent in Hearthstone, or do other CCGs often see this kind of thing as well? Is it just a function of allowing for combo decks?

Like I know people hate on Shudderwock, and I understand it's frustrating to get wiped by a combo you literally couldn't prevent, but I've played the deck a bunch and most of the time I just didn't get to draw-and-play the right cards at the right time, and it was running in place to stay alive until I could get everything, and then I get killed anyway. When it won, it won dramatically and memorably, but most of the time is lost in a way that resembled a whoopee cushion being slowly squeezed.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yilias wrote: »
    I think its real stretch to call Kingsbane broken. Annoying sure, but the deck folds to aggro and sometimes it just never gets Kingsbane/Leeching and autoloses.

i mean i'd also call shudderwock broken even if the data suggests it's not "OP"

simply because it's unfun to play against. so, same with Kingsbane.

also see: freeze mage, quest mage, any OTK decks :T

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I went 6-3 with the Secret Hunter. I lost to Zoo lock, Aggro Hunter, and a mirror.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy

Win/Loss is not the only metric for whether something's broken. If you think it is, I suggest you re-examine that. That Kingsbane and Shudderwock lose more than they win is not a worthy excuse for their existence.

They are win conditions that don't allow for interaction. They depend on your opponent fucking up or not drawing the right cards in order for you to win. Even if the probability that they fuck up or don't draw what they need is higher than the probability they pilot the deck perfectly and draw everything on curve, that's still absolute shit game design.

Focusing purely on win/loss to evaluate cards is exactly why Blizzard hasn't done shit about their most egregious offenders, and why getting them to address the pre-Giggling nerf meta was like pulling teeth. Decks were pretty even on win-loss so what's the problem?

Neaden wrote: »
    By this logic, Tol'Vir Warden, Crystology, Forge of Souls, and Ice Fishing should be nerfed?

They are all dangerous cards to have around, sure none of them are problematic at this moment in time, but as the card pool increases in Wild, the risk of them enabling something toxic goes up. Any of them could become busted in Standard if the right cards were printed.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I’ve gotten plenty of low-rolls with Wandering Monster, including more Howlfiends than I care to remember, so it only feels fair that I’d get the ultimate clutch high-roll.

It was a spell hunter mirror match, I was down to 7 health and threw out Zul’jin earlier than I would have liked to stay alive. It still helped, re-cast all my secrets, Call of The Wild, 4 wolf spellstone, but no Crushing Walls or Deadly Shot to clear their board, meaning I had to survive this turn to win.

They got a Leokk and Huffer off Call of the Wild which sucked, as it meant it only took one of their wolves to kill my Misha. Well, two after Freezing Trap. Their third wolf swung for my face... and veered off into a 4/5 Paragon of Light, buffed by my two Leokks, activating its’ Lifesteal and Taunt.

My opponent considered for a moment, then conceded.

Wandering Monster rolls into Howlfiend really often, I notice. I had a game this week where that happened to my opponent and I just threw all my 1/1 Silver Hand dudes into it. They conceded.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My opponent attacked with his buffed 6/5 into my Wandering Monster and....
    0w54ltpcxv8e.png

IF MAGMA RAGERS YOUR FAVORITE IT'S TIME TO SAVOR IT!

WOOO!!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Wandering Monster rolls into Howlfiend really often, I notice. I had a game this week where that happened to my opponent and I just threw all my 1/1 Silver Hand dudes into it. They conceded.

I lost a game recently in fatigue when my wandering monster turned out to be a mana tide totem. I went from being two cards ahead in fatigue to like, three behind it.

anyone else having a lot of trouble playing HS on Iphone? I'm not sure if i have a bad battery or something but HS is the only app that this is a problem with. i start to play a game with like 85% battery life. after a game, game and a half or so, my phone crashes like it ran out of power. i plug it in, the battery meter says like 10%, but 5 minutes on the charger and it jumps back up to 65% or so. i can play it fine plugged in, but its like the game is using too much power and breaking the battery.

Dibby wrote: »

i mean i'd also call shudderwock broken even if the data suggests it's not "OP"

simply because it's unfun to play against. so, same with Kingsbane.

also see: freeze mage, quest mage, any OTK decks :T

Thinking of Quest Mage, it's gotten me to rank 4. All it took was not running into the aggressive version of the Kingsbane/Pirate deck for five consecutive games.

It's almost certainly a really bad metagame choice given the Hunters and Rogues running around right now, but I'm enjoying it. The moments where you take a leap of faith and go "Well, I'm short a combo piece, but there are eight cards in my deck and I have a draw spell, lets do this" are a lot of fun. Even if they occasionally fall flat.

It's not likely any fun for the other person though.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Whizbang gave me the Discard Warlock deck today.

I...uh...I thought it was actually pretty good? And I didn't even have the new leggo or anything working for me. I just played undercosted minions and ignored the drawback, and my opponent couldn't catch up.

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    anyone else having a lot of trouble playing HS on Iphone? I'm not sure if i have a bad battery or something but HS is the only app that this is a problem with. i start to play a game with like 85% battery life. after a game, game and a half or so, my phone crashes like it ran out of power. i plug it in, the battery meter says like 10%, but 5 minutes on the charger and it jumps back up to 65% or so. i can play it fine plugged in, but its like the game is using too much power and breaking the battery.

Model and how old?

I primarily play on an iPhone as well (2-year old SE). I would say I can get a solid 2-3 of hours HS at full charge before I need to consider charging. So far the battery has not crapped out yet but I do notice the battery health feature in the Settings > Battery section tells me I'm at less than 80% effectiveness.

I would double check your battery health and while you are in that section check to see what other app is drawing the battery and consider limiting that or uninstall it if you do not use it as much.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I've made my own version of discard lock, that makes huge lifestealing taunts quite consistently thx to prince keleseth, Deathaxe Punisher (need one more of these) and Soul infusion.

It's very fun, and thx to all the card draw (and witchwood Piper) you combine the components very fast.

# Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Mortal Coil
    # 2x (1) Shriek
    # 2x (1) Soul Infusion
    # 2x (1) Soulfire
    # 1x (2) Prince Keleseth
    # 2x (3) Howlfiend
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (4) Cataclysm
    # 2x (4) Witchwood Piper
    # 2x (5) Doomguard
    #
    AAECAf0GBoDHApHHApXQApfTApziAvCGAwz3BM4HxAibwgLKwwKSzQL3zQLO6QKm8ALT+ALShgOvjQMA
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

No soulwarden to get back your discarded guldan?

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    The thing that kept killing my battery playing Hearthstone was the screen brightness. Hearthstone/iOS kept going “oh, I see you’re exposed to outdoor lighting, let’s absolutely set your brightness to max.” Even with the iOS auto adjust brightness settings turned off, Hearthstone would still insist on trying to burn my battery as efficiently as possible.

The problem was solved in the short term by manually adjusting brightness every 30 seconds, and in the long term by the arrival of winter ensuring that I play by artificial light on my bus rides to and from work.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Messing around a little with Untamed Beastmasters in Odd Rogue.

I wish that I hadn't dusted my Corridor Creepers back when they got nerfed since those would REALLY work here, but dropping 5/5 Flappy Birds on the board is kind of making up for it.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    edited December 2018
    azith28 wrote: »

Model and how old?

I primarily play on an iPhone as well (2-year old SE). I would say I can get a solid 2-3 of hours HS at full charge before I need to consider charging. So far the battery has not crapped out yet but I do notice the battery health feature in the Settings > Battery section tells me I'm at less than 80% effectiveness.

I would double check your battery health and while you are in that section check to see what other app is drawing the battery and consider limiting that or uninstall it if you do not use it as much.

It's an Iphone 6. version 12.1 iOS (My work phone). It use to be able to go 1-2 hours without a problem, but the last few months ive noticed that even when it does not crash, HS seems to be draining the battery very quickly.

I could bring it to the work people to replace but that means id have to redo all my apps on a new phone which id like to avoid. It's only HS thats ever had a problem.
    It reports battery health at 87%.

azith28 on
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Mighty wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »

# Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Mortal Coil
    # 2x (1) Shriek
    # 2x (1) Soul Infusion
    # 2x (1) Soulfire
    # 1x (2) Prince Keleseth
    # 2x (3) Howlfiend
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (4) Cataclysm
    # 2x (4) Witchwood Piper
    # 2x (5) Doomguard
    #
    #

No soulwarden to get back your discarded guldan?

It's a good card, but you don't want other cards in hand besides Jeklik and I found the manacost a tad high to have an immediate impact, slowing me down when I get it early

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Spirit of the Shark has me playing around with Even Spellpower Rogue again

Double battlecries works great with Lifedrinker, Elven Minstrel, and Faldorei Strider, not to mention Saronite Chain Gang, and even gives extra spellpwer and petals from Tuskarr Fisherman and Razorpetal Lasher