As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Finally getting in to the campaign for this. Just got the "ship upgrade", but I'm having some issues...
    Basically I just got the Argos. Trying to do a 1.5 skull mission, and the difficulty jumped quite a bit, but my lance doesn't seem to have gotten much better? Still three mediums and a light. Should I have any heavy mechs at this point?

With some luck, you can salvage
    the Quickdraw on that Argo mission, but typically no you wouldn't have heavies by that point in the campaign because those 4 starting planets are unlikely to have contracts high enough to spawn any. However, you should have 4 mediums by that point: the Vindicator, Shadowhawk, and Blackjack you start with and the Centurion you find inside the Argo.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Looks like its time to system hop

YUb1L8A.png

kx3klFE.png
    And the system I landed at has 3 CN9-A parts. Perfect for an AC20 boat!

kx3klFE.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Christmas event started in MWO

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    its 6:35 mechwarriors, I find your performance severely disappointing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    its 6:35 mechwarriors, I find your performance severely disappointing.

Sorry...helping a couple friends get some Christmas event lootboxes in League of Legends.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • hairystevehairysteve Registered User regular
    Warhammer iic back on sale with pre order bonus active again until Christmas or something. Now includes an extra warhammer as a pre order bonus - a ballistics in both arms variant.
    It's an extra added because of a badly worded tweet?? that some guy put out that kinda inferred that you might get extra stuff if you ordered early.
    Can't remember guys name.. Matt??
    Sorry if already posted...

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Urgh. Continued my career mode despite getting really fed up with the LRM spam earlier this week, things are going alright for a while, then I end up with a mission that just chucks two lances of LRM-equipped heavies at me on a map with huge open areas. The fight was winnable, I just got so fucking fed up with the sheer tedium of grinding away with LRMs that I quit the mission rather than waste anothe 45-60 minutes grinding away... and somehow ended up with Bad Faith withdrawal despite knocking out most of a lance. This then fucked my local reputation enough that I'm back to nearly every fucking mission being locked out due to reputation.

So I'm back to being done with the game until they improve the mix of mechs you drop against, remove the need for/existence of LRM spam, or both. As soon as the game hits the point where you can't run mediums anymore, the fun and tactics evaporate.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I haven't played MWO in a long time. I bought the original clan mech pack way back in the day. Is the Timberwolf still a good heavy? It's always been one of my favorite mechs.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    hairysteve wrote: »
    Warhammer iic back on sale with pre order bonus active again until Christmas or something. Now includes an extra warhammer as a pre order bonus - a ballistics in both arms variant.
    It's an extra added because of a badly worded tweet?? that some guy put out that kinda inferred that you might get extra stuff if you ordered early.
    Can't remember guys name.. Matt??
    Sorry if already posted...

I posted the tweet already, but here was Matt's response in a thread on the Brown Sea:
    First of all, YIKES! I really stepped in it, didn`t I?

3 points I want to make before I start groveling.
    Russ didn't make the Tweet. I did.
    I was trying to remind people about the early adopter rewards ending.
    I was trying to hint at the Holiday bonus Giveaway.
    you will get bonus redeems in the Stocking Stuffer event
    EPIC FAIL

I totally see what I have done now. The implication is pretty clear that purchasing the Mech Pack would get you something exclusive and it didn't. It caused excitement and speculation (and a definite FOMO) in the worst possible way. I am really and truly sorry for the frustration this has caused. A bad move on my part and while it wasn't my intention, it was definitely the reality. I own it 100% and won't make the same mistake again.

OK, so how do we move past this?

Option 1 Refunds
    You CAN get a refund on your Warhammer anytime from now up to delivery no questions asked. That is our policy for mech preorders and I think it a good one (I also happen to manage the Customer Service department)
    We usually do not to do Refunds after delivery (unmodified) as it is a messy process but it is possible.
    We Generally don't refund after a mech has been used or modified as the content is considered consumed. There have been exceptions to this is extreme situations.
    Other Compensation.
    In some cases, we come up with a method of compensation in the hopes of making it worth it for you to keep the product. (open to Ideas here saw some good ones in the thread already and have a couple of my own)
    Here is the kicker, I have not discussed this blunder with Russ yet but will when I am back in the office.
    So I hope you accept my apology for ******* up this hard on a twitter post and I hope we can move forward and turn this into a positive for you guys.

I know I won't be able to make all of you happy but I am going to try.

Matt Newman.
    We're looking at doing an additional Standard variant as part of the early adopters.
    Loadout TBD. (It is being debated at the moment but it looks like it will have ballistic hardpoints in the arms)
    if we do this we would also have to open up Early adopters again to give others the opportunity to score the additional chassis. (Ending Dec 31st midnight PST 8 AM UTC)
    The additional Chassis would not be in the main pack and therefore not available to purchase until the MC / C-bill dates.
    Will provide the real details when it is official. I just want to keep you in the loop.

Aside from not knowing the Loadout at this point does this seem fair to you guys so far?
    FAQ
    Why was this done?
    I (Matt Newman) made a Twitter post that implied that purchasing the Warhammer IIC
    would get the purchaser something to be announced at Mech Con.
    It creating a fear of missing out without the knowledge of what the thing is you would miss out on. (Not Good)
    I was intending to hint at the Holiday Bonus which everyone is eligible to receive. (That's Good)
    This is an effort to make amends to those who purchased due to this tweet.
    Also, to be fair, we have extended the early adopters for any other player who wishes get the same rewards.

TL;DR: Matt Newman, the Events Director for PGI intimated that there would be a special bonus for Early Adopters that would be revealed at MechCon. He worded it poorly (his words) and meant to make reference to the holiday bonus mechs. In an amazing show of personal responsibility and good will, he had a meeting with Russ and they agreed that a special bonus for Early Adopters would be offered: a WHM-IICA variant with arm-mounted ballistics. No more "ballistic variant hidden behind a paywall." Honestly, Matt has served as an example of transparency that a lot of developers could learn from.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/12/2186-warhammer-iic-new-variant-added-early-adopters-extended

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited December 2018
    I haven't played MWO in a long time. I bought the original clan mech pack way back in the day. Is the Timberwolf still a good heavy? It's always been one of my favorite mechs.

Its fantastic.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

It kinda got nerfed into the ground with the engine desync and negative quirks. It's still powerful in the right hands, but not the all-powerful Hand of God it was back in its heyday.

steam_sig.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Finally getting in to the campaign for this. Just got the "ship upgrade", but I'm having some issues...
    Basically I just got the Argos. Trying to do a 1.5 skull mission, and the difficulty jumped quite a bit, but my lance doesn't seem to have gotten much better? Still three mediums and a light. Should I have any heavy mechs at this point?

Honestly, you're probably just going to have to "git gud". This game allows for such marvelous fuckery, the AI really doesn't stand a chance. And you really need to get used to punching up to tech up, because everything you want you're going to have to learn to kill, repeatedly, to get it.

You don't get your first heavy mech, without learning to take out a heavy with nothing but mediums. Same goes for assaults.

Step one is that the initiative system is your friend. If you have evasion pips and no good shots, reserve until after the enemy goes. Let them come to you. Then fuck them up in the later initiatives of this round, and the early initiatives of the next. It's extra effective when you use a targeting shot to push them back in the initiative order. The AI will never do this back to you. This is your exclusive tool to fuck them up. And how.

Step two, use the terrain. Force the enemy to come to your chosen battleground. The AI is dumb. It will come. It has no patience. It can locally min-max. But it can't set up an ambush. You can. Hills are you friend. Forest are your friend. Making the AI cross rough terrain to get to you is your friend.

Step three, try to isolate the enemy. When you see 3 or 4 pop up on your radar, start rotating your position so that they can't all rush you at once. In naval terms they call this crossing the T. It's a very bad thing to have your T crossed.

Step four, once you've crossed their T, focus fire to take them out as they come. Personally I'm a fan of big punching weapons rather than armor shredders. I want a PPC or an Autocannon that'll punch through the armor on your average light or medium. PPC's have the added bonus of disrupting the enemies aim afterwards, which gives your lights even more survivability when they are on the receiving end. And it stacks! You blast a heavy mech with 4 PPC bolts, it has a +4 difficulty modifier! Throw on 3 to 5 evasion pips for your average light or jump jetting medium, and it'll take a miracle for them to hit you.

If you can't take out the lead mech of the crossed T in one round, be willing to fall back or keep rotating to drag the enemy's line out. Don't let them gang up on you.

One thing I've been doing that really helps is if I know I can't take out a mech when I cross their T, I'll use targeted shots to severely lower their offensive capabilities. So, for example, if I have a good shot at their Right Torso, I can take out their torso and arm and remove most of their big guns. Now they're very little threat to me and I can start to focus on the next one. Really helpful on base defense missions where I'm spread thin.

camo_sig2.png
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Honestly, you're probably just going to have to "git gud". This game allows for such marvelous fuckery, the AI really doesn't stand a chance. And you really need to get used to punching up to tech up, because everything you want you're going to have to learn to kill, repeatedly, to get it.

You don't get your first heavy mech, without learning to take out a heavy with nothing but mediums. Same goes for assaults.

Step one is that the initiative system is your friend. If you have evasion pips and no good shots, reserve until after the enemy goes. Let them come to you. Then fuck them up in the later initiatives of this round, and the early initiatives of the next. It's extra effective when you use a targeting shot to push them back in the initiative order. The AI will never do this back to you. This is your exclusive tool to fuck them up. And how.

Step two, use the terrain. Force the enemy to come to your chosen battleground. The AI is dumb. It will come. It has no patience. It can locally min-max. But it can't set up an ambush. You can. Hills are you friend. Forest are your friend. Making the AI cross rough terrain to get to you is your friend.

Step three, try to isolate the enemy. When you see 3 or 4 pop up on your radar, start rotating your position so that they can't all rush you at once. In naval terms they call this crossing the T. It's a very bad thing to have your T crossed.

Step four, once you've crossed their T, focus fire to take them out as they come. Personally I'm a fan of big punching weapons rather than armor shredders. I want a PPC or an Autocannon that'll punch through the armor on your average light or medium. PPC's have the added bonus of disrupting the enemies aim afterwards, which gives your lights even more survivability when they are on the receiving end. And it stacks! You blast a heavy mech with 4 PPC bolts, it has a +4 difficulty modifier! Throw on 3 to 5 evasion pips for your average light or jump jetting medium, and it'll take a miracle for them to hit you.

If you can't take out the lead mech of the crossed T in one round, be willing to fall back or keep rotating to drag the enemy's line out. Don't let them gang up on you.

One thing I've been doing that really helps is if I know I can't take out a mech when I cross their T, I'll use targeted shots to severely lower their offensive capabilities. So, for example, if I have a good shot at their Right Torso, I can take out their torso and arm and remove most of their big guns. Now they're very little threat to me and I can start to focus on the next one. Really helpful on base defense missions where I'm spread thin.

One of the Griffin models loses all of its weapons if you manage to take out one side torso, that's always hilarious. Stock models often have ammo in side torsos, that makes them fairly easy to take out compared to straight out coring them ... unless it is one of those stupid stock models where the ammo is actually in the CT.

Ive been picking at least 3 salvage now for 2+ skull missions just in case i get the headcap. With that in mind, I present to you my 1st mission with the CN9-A rocking an AC20. First shot of the mission, straight headcap on the Wolverine. Then a bit later while my forces are split defending the base from 2 sides and things are looking bad facing down a spider and 2 vindicators alone, i precision shot at the head on the fresh one on a whim. BOOM.

should have maxed out the salvage slider.
    sfaoSDj.png

TpCs4a0.png

bbEXS6Y.png

g37h4Q0.png

kx3klFE.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Good runs tonight gentlemen. Thanks for the fun @Styrofoam Sammich @Nobody @Redspo0n . Although our last match was a somewhat steamroll, the match right before that was a gem. I even one shotted a poor Urbie who tried to take on a King Crab (not sure if it was a head shot, or just took out a torso killing him). Killed the next idiot who thought they could face tank me. Then took out a Battlemaster who tried to DFA Styrofoam by shooting out his back.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Did my first flashpoint. I had a lot of fun.

We had to get to a base and put down 3 beacons within 8 turns. They had a lot of heavies and heavy vehicles (SRM boats and triple PPC platforms).

Thankfully if you knock out their anti air turrets a lance will drop in to support you. Mix of mediums and heavies, but helpful none the same.

We manage to place the beacons, take out the defenders and get out.

Second part was a choice for our meecenary company. The other lance that helped us had an assault kill squad coming after it and was asking for help. It’d be Pro Bono and we’d have no time to repair. Other option was essentially an easy mission with a big payout...basically keeping us unavailable to help that other lance out.

We did the charitable thing. Still got a lot of salvage and now our brother mercenaries are indebted to us. 👍

camo_sig2.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Thanks to all of the runs tonight as well as the advent tasks I completed, I was able to fully fit out my brawling VTR.

Now, if I could only get people to, you know, stop standing behind me when I'm trying to back into cover...

Mobility buffs coming to 20 chassis in this month's patch. Looks like the first announcement after the PTS wasn't the death's knell people thought it was. They're just rolling out the improvements based on the feedback in waves.

steam_sig.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Alright I'm gonna start a new Roguetech campaign, run a half skull mission, and record the opposition, armaments of said opposition, and any visible pilot skills (cause that fucking Cicada pilot was utilizing Ace Pilot), and edit in the results.

Let's see if it was just some really fucking weird bug where the spawn algorithms just blew all the gaskets.

EDIT:

Well... seems that the matchmaker just blew a gasket.
    Locust
    160 armor (50%)
    2 MGs
    1 MLAS

Spider
    140 armor (50%)
    1 MLAS
    1 Flamer

Jenner
    280 armor (50%)
    4 MLAS

Jenner
    280 armor (50%)
    4 MLAS

Wasp
    170 armor (50%)
    1 Flamer
    1 MPLAS
    2 SLAS+

Commando
    200 armor (50%)
    4 MLAS
    6 SLAS

Commando
    1 SRM6
    1 LLAS

OXIDE
    Max armor
    2 SRM4++
    2 LRM5

But then the second mission had multiple Catapults with Arrow IVs that oneshot a Treb through the CT so

Yeah, as much as I want to like Roguetech, it's literally just dicerolling on encounters, hoping there isn't shit that can knock out a quarter of your lance in one turn or getting completely fucked over by 4x your tonnage.

SIGH. If someone ever makes a non-utterly random version of Roguetech, lemme know.

MechMantis on
    I'm coming to like this flea

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Oh, another mech sale should be incoming soon. Matt talked about it on his personal roadmap on the official forums.

steam_sig.png
    I'm coming to like this flea

Embrace the speed! SPEED!!!!!

Next you'll start humming the Speed Racer song. What? Only I do that?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Well I had my second casualty in Career Mode. It was another mission where I was punching up, but it turned out to not be so bad. I think it was on the easier end of that "sometimes the difficulty is misreported" feature.

So it's a 3.5 skull, trigger a trap mission. I have my 2.5 star lance consisting of my SRM boat Kintaro, 2 Shadowhawks and a Wolverine. The Kintaro is my heavy hitter. Lots of SRM+ and SRM++'s and a heat exchanger so it can fire pretty much all the time always.

The trap trigger turns out to be a Manticore tank. Those dual AC/20's never get close to me as I have my Shadowhawk jumpjet up a hill it can't climb and just rain PPC and LRM death on it.

But nobody else shows up to the party.

So I'm wondering around the map a bit, trying to stay in defensible terrain for when the enemy shows up. There is a lake to the north with a small land bridge ending in an island half off the border of the engagement zone. I head for that thinking if I can make the enemy cross the open waters while I'm in the trees, I'll be golden. I head up there. Wait a turn or two. No enemy.

Now I'm thinking I still need to trigger them somehow? I start by walking my Kintaro into the lake, and finally I get some sensor contacts! 2 mediums and 2 heavies, all with weak armor. I honestly can't remember what the makeup was entirely. A Thunderbolt I'm pretty sure, maybe a Wolverine? I think a Dragon showed up first and was quickly dispatched.

What I definitely remember is the god damned Vindicator. It shows up a little late. The lowest tonnage, the weakest armor, I thought the least of a threat. It's first shot, it gets a lucky cockpit hit on my Kintaro with it's PPC. That smarts, but my pilot survives it. Has 5 HP left in it's cockpit. I assume it was a lucky hit and won't happen again.

Next round the Vindicator plants its PPC in the Kintaro's cockpit a second time. Makes for one very dead pilot. Thankfully by this point I had just about eliminated the enemy force, and the Vindicator didn't last long on it's own.

Aside from the missing cockpit the Kintaro is more or less pristine. Didn't lose any of it's equipment since I didn't have any in the head. I was actually able to immediately hire on a pilot with almost the exact same skills as the dead one. But man, easy come easy go in this game. At least it was just the pilot and not the mech.

edited December 2018
    Figured I post this here since I keep on looking for information on "event" stuff. As in how to get it.
    Engagement/Disengagement Rules:
    • Dealing or receiving damage makes you engaged.
    • Depending on sight, distance and time since the last damage was dealt, timers work to see if you are still actively in combat or disengaged.

The following rewards are new or follow a different system now:

Scouting:
    • Be the first to spot a target.
    • Do not engage.

Flanking:
    • Move behind an enemy Mech without being targeted by it and without being engaged.
    • Deal damage to the enemy Mech from behind (out of sight).
    • Reward has a cool-down of 20 seconds.

Kill Most Damage:
    • Compared to all other players, deal the most damage to a target.
    • The target dies.

Killing Blow:
    • Deal the killing shot to a target.

Solo Kill:
    • Achieve both "Kill Most Damage" and "Killing Blow" for the same target.

Capture:
    • Being inside of a base while the base re-aligns.

Brawler:
    • Get a "Solo Kill" in between 0 and 450 meters distance to the target.
    • Be in a medium or heavy 'Mech.

Lance Formation:
    • All players of one lance are in a distance of 140 meters to each other.
    • The whole lance is engaged.
    • Reward occurs every 15 seconds if not interrupted.

Protected Light:
    • Be in a light 'Mech.
    • Stay close to a 'Mech that is at least 2 weight classes higher.
    • Both are engaged.
    • Reward occurs every 8 seconds.

Protected Medium:
    • Be in a medium 'Mech.
    • Stay close to a 'Mech that is at least 2 weight classes higher.
    • Both are engaged.
    • Reward occurs every 8 seconds.

Protect Proximity:
    • Staying in a radius of 150 meters to a damaged friendly 'Mech (critical damage).
    • Be engaged.
    • Reward occurs every 10 seconds if not interrupted.

TAG Damage:
    • TAG a target.
    • Damage is dealt to that target while target is still TAGed.
    • Reward is multiplied by the damage dealt in points.
    • Reward is only shown on HUD once finished or interrupted (total number rewarded).
    • Reward is only given if the target is tagged for at least 2 seconds.
    • Reward is only given if the target takes at least 5 damage.
    • The reward has a cooldown of 2 seconds.
    • This timer resets to 2 seconds with every point of damage dealt.
    • Once the timer reaches 0 all the accumulated reward is given to the player/shown on HUD.
    • The reward is finished when: ◦ Tag is removed from the target.
    ◦ The target dies.

TAG Kill:
    • The user is tagging the target.
    • The target gets destroyed WHILE being TAGed.

Hit and Run:
    • A hit and run “Score” is generated based off an engagement.
    • Every point of damage dealt counts for 1 point of score.
    • Every point of damage taken counts for -2 points of score.
    • If score is greater than 10, you are awarded with a hit and run award.
    • If the total damage taken during the engagement is greater than 15 the score is zeroed and no award is given.

First Capture:
    • Player gets the capture collector reward for a previously uncaptured collector.
    • Can only occur once per collector per match.
    • Does not apply to starting bases that are already captured.

Stealth TAG
    • Player TAGs a target.
    • Player stays out of the line of sight of any enemy.
    • Player is rewarded every 6 seconds.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Is there a way in career to re-trigger the offer to buy into the black markets?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So I've finally built a Marauder 3R Tripple RAC2.
    It's glorious.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I got to day 400-something in career mode and only ever saw that offered once. Covered quite a lot of map area in the meantime, I dunno if you can get it to pop back up.

• Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ah fuck me...did my 1st Flashpoint at 2.5 skulls.

And there was an Awesome.
    And I headshotted it.
    And I was 2/11 on salvage.
    And I got 2.

Ah well..

Drunken Bastard on
    You know, playing with 5 parts per mech does make me feel a lot less shitty when I headshot a mech, but only get 2 parts from the contract. It's not like I would have gotten a complete mech anyways.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Does parts increase the number dropped by a mech you got a clean kill on? Or you'll always have to down multiples and grab 2 or 3 parts at a time?

Does parts increase the number dropped by a mech you got a clean kill on? Or you'll always have to down multiples and grab 2 or 3 parts at a time?

A headshotted mech still only drops 3 parts. It basically magically becomes 3/5ths of a mech.

It's not a perfect system. It makes the game a bit grindier. You miss out on lucking into an intact mech, leapfrogging your current tech level.

On the other hand, that's exactly what I wanted.

edited December 2018
    Iolo wrote: »

I don't know if there's specific triggers, I haven't looked into the files, but the event does pop up again if you don't accept. If I had to guess, travelling to a black market tagged system could be part of it. Could be a minimum time between triggers as well.

SiliconStew on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I think it's a combination of reputation and being in a system with a black market. I only ever had it once and I'm down to 380 days remaining. I always kill the pirates though so none of them like me.

Anyone know how many flashpoints there are? I only have one left on my map and it includes a crap target acquiring mission which I am not going to do.

Aridhol on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hey guys, what happens when you let a Victor brawl in the city?
    fj9sy5fkdend.png

Two of those kills were other assaults, one a double HGR Mauler and the other a MC Mk II

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

A headshotted mech still only drops 3 parts. It basically magically becomes 3/5ths of a mech.

It's not a perfect system. It makes the game a bit grindier. You miss out on lucking into an intact mech, leapfrogging your current tech level.

On the other hand, that's exactly what I wanted.

Yeah, if you wanted BT but grindier, upping the number of mech pieces needed to assemble a whole mech is the first slider to play with. W/ the regulr 3 pieces needed, you can leapfrog your team pretty easily when you encounter a one-of heavy+ mech on a 1.5-2 skull mission (esp. Assasinations) and take it home wiht you. With 4+ pieces needed, even if you nap all three pieces of that Thunderbolt you had to kill, you might not see another one until you are up to all mediums and doing 3+ skull missions.

It does feel especially good when you do finally get that first Grasshopper or Orion, though. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Loving these Flashpoints, but sometimes they're kind of annoying from a scripting standpoint.

I did a two part flashpoint. At the end of the first one, a conversation starts where they say I need to deploy again without repairing. The base we just took is under attack and we need to defend it. One of my guys makes a comment that we're pretty beat up, so our benefactors agree to lend us a "highly specialized" mech. I am then forced to bring that "specialized" mech along with me for the next mission.

Only problem?

1. I had no damage whatsoever, I was good to go.
    2. The "special" mech was a lightly armed Hatchetman
    3. I was running a lance of Orions...

Oh and one of the new objectives was to keep the Hatchetman alive. Whatever, I made it through but that was frustrating. I totally get the tonnage limit BEFORE a flashpoint start, but arbitrarily forcing me into a shitty mech halfway through for no apparent reason was annoying.

camo_sig2.png
    Loving these Flashpoints, but sometimes they're kind of annoying from a scripting standpoint.

I did a two part flashpoint. At the end of the first one, a conversation starts where they say I need to deploy again without repairing. The base we just took is under attack and we need to defend it. One of my guys makes a comment that we're pretty beat up, so our benefactors agree to lend us a "highly specialized" mech. I am then forced to bring that "specialized" mech along with me for the next mission.

Only problem?

Oh and one of the new objectives was to keep the Hatchetman alive. Whatever, I made it through but that was frustrating. I totally get the tonnage limit BEFORE a flashpoint start, but arbitrarily forcing me into a shitty mech halfway through for no apparent reason was annoying.

There was a reason. That mission is specifically to introduce players to that new mech they added with Flashpoint. The opfor is lights and mediums, so giving you a medium is fine difficulty-wise. The Hatchetman is a melee specialist, and the 130 damage it can do can kill or cripple the lights and mediums in that mission with each swing. The "keep it alive" objective just means don't get it cored out, not don't use it at all.

Only problem?

There was a reason. That mission is specifically to introduce players to that new mech they added with Flashpoint. The opfor is lights and mediums, so giving you a medium is fine difficulty-wise. The Hatchetman is a melee specialist, and the 130 damage it can do can kill or cripple the lights and mediums in that mission with each swing. The "keep it alive" objective just means don't get it cored out, not don't use it at all.

Hrm...I had several heavies in the OpFor, for what it's worth.

It wasn't a big deal, and the mission was still doable, but against heavies I wasn't going to even bother putting it in range of them. I did hatchet a couple locusts with it though, which was hilarious.

camo_sig2.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Milk run occupy a base mission. I'm happily chunking turrets from distance with sensor locks until I trigger the reinforcements. The game lands them in shooting range of my lance and they get to go first and put a bunch of free damage into me. I was a little pissed about that.