As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Man, I dunno. The fact that we haven't done anything to the people who have openly admitted to arranging and attending the Trump tower meeting tells me that we're also not going to do anything once we find out that Trump knew about it.

Just because they haven’t been arrested yet, especially when the investigation isn’t finished, doesn’t mean they will face no consequences.

Doubly so as this week has very much included talk of consequences (or noteworthy lack thereof, not all examples made have to be negative, looking at you Flynn).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    I do feel like Mueller has preserved a high level of respectability, authority, and trust throughout this despite the constant FUD and attacks, and when he confirms things through these filings, it does concrete them as unassailable fact for many. Also it's going to be such an event when/if he ever gives a live press conference. Maintaining that professional silence for 2 years has been agonizing for us onlookers but BOY it will confer serious gravitas if he ever steps in front of a camera to address the nation.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    First Cohen filing has dropped. This is via a Twitter account that tweets filings in important US legal cases.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Guys, like.

We need to cool our heels. There's not going to be some massive release. We're SEEING the massive releases. There's not going to be tapes of it all.

It's just not going to be a beautiful, perfectly wrapped package that makes everything clear and everyone in the country will agree. At the end of ALL of this, 40% +/- 5% of the country is still going to think Trump was wronged.

And I don't mean that as a negative doomsayer thing. Hopefully the arc of history curves against him, but we're not getting a monumental release today that seals the whole deal.

What is this I don't even.
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Southpaw is the Law Dog

So, if I read the first one right he's still turbo fucked despite his cooperation

Good

Cohen is a chickenshit

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    That sends a pretty ominous message to Trumpworld

I think the SCO may just be trolling now:

Spencer Ackerman reports for the Daily Beast

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    The upshot seems to be that while Cohen cooperated, he didn't give up nearly enough to earn him a Flynn type pass. So prosecutors want him to do serious time.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Four to six years in jail is real time. Nice.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The upshot seems to be that while Cohen cooperated, he didn't give up nearly enough to earn him a Flynn type pass. So prosecutors want him to do serious time.

Alternately, they're getting past the point where they're willing to give out the 5 star meals and people get to have Denny's instead.

• HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    [deleted]

Hirocon on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Wait, so he's also in trouble because Trump didn't pay him as a member of Trump's team?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Gaddez wrote: »

Alternately, they're getting past the point where they're willing to give out the 5 star meals and people get to have Denny's instead.

It's all object lessons to the next people up the chain. "This is what happens if you cooperate, like Papadopoulos. This is what happens if you don't, like Manafort. This is what happens if you cooperate but also dick us around a bunch and lie to us at first, like Cohen. Note how your window is closing, here."

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Wait, so he's also in trouble because Trump didn't pay him as a member of Trump's team?

One's expected salary typically comes out to a higher total than the maximum allowable donation to a political candidate.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

One's expected salary typically comes out to a higher total than the maximum allowable donation to a political candidate.

And it would presumably need to be claimed as a political donation, just trying to make sure I read that bit right.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Manafort filing has dropped! Via the same court filing account on Twitter

Okay that's not the filing so much as a notice that the filing is coming and will need to be significantly redacted :P Dammit!

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I think the most amazing thing about manafort was how after all the chances he had to get in line and not be completely fucked he still thought he could sneak something by the man who had busted him multiple times.

Like, theres a point where you think he'd understand that he's really not that good at this.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I think the most amazing thing about manafort was how after all the chances he had to get in line and not be completely fucked he still thought he could sneak something by the man who had busted him multiple times.

Like, theres a point where you think he'd understand that he's really not that good at this.

The confidence of a wealthy mediocre white guy.

I should be in bed. But I think I'm gonna stay up and see how this plays out for the next couple hours.

ronpaulitshappening.gif

Yeah, I know it's unlikely to be the downfall of the Presidency. But like @Forar said earlier, I'll enjoy the wins, and I'll savor the schadenfreude that this is going to make Trump upset, and is going to likely put fear into the hearts of those around him.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

It's not that he didn't give them enough, it's that he refused to be a witness. So they don't think he should be given the credit a cooperating witness should receive.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Okay that's not the filing so much as a notice that the filing is coming and will need to be significantly redacted :P Dammit!

UGGGGGHHHH. I feel so blue-balled.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    He’s making shit up.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'The President did nothing illegal ever, right?'

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The people in the DOJ were appointed or affirmed by himself, so

Oh yeah that’s one of the other things happening today. Comey is testifying to the Senate Oversight Committee or some such. He fought a legal battle to have the hearing in public, but was only able to win a guarantee that his testimony would be published a day later.

I’m guessing they weren’t able to pin anything on him so they’re trying to make him not answering certain questions look as bad as possible.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh yeah that’s one of the other things happening today. Comey is testifying to the Senate Oversight Committee or some such. He fought a legal battle to have the hearing in public, but was only able to win a guarantee that his testimony would be published a day later.

I’m guessing they weren’t able to pin anything on him so they’re trying to make him not answering certain questions look as bad as possible.

Isn't this just the House trying to make one last stab at smearing Hillary?

The House Judiciary and Oversight Committee! I knew it was something like that.

And yes, as Undead Scottsman says, it’s basically one last ditch effort to prove the FBI were totally on Hillary’s side and pin ANYTHING on her :P

In other news Individual-1 appears to be reading a different Cohen sentencing memo to the rest of us.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Watch Trump finally admit Clinton won the popular vote

edited December 2018
    Manafort sentencing memo seems to be dropping now.

*edit* and here it is! Manafort lied in multiple ways on multiple occasions, lied about contacts between Russia and the Trump campaign.

That link is the document in full, there follows several tweets quoting some juicy bits from an investigative reporter with USA Today.

Desktop Hippie on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Well, at least NBC News are maintaining the highest standards of journalistic integrity with regards getting this news to the public at large.

Fucking hell. Sometimes it feels they really want to prove the President's "enemy of the people" shit is right.

Hey, NBC. He's never going to like you. Stop being so needy.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot attribution. Twitter feed of a the NBC news network.

MorganV on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

So ole Manny said he didn't talk to anybody in the administration honest to gosh cross his heart hope to die except he was totally in contact with people in the administration including a "senior administration official"

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Well, at least NBC News are maintaining the highest standards of journalistic integrity with regards getting this news to the public at large.

Fucking hell. Sometimes it feels they really want to prove the President's "enemy of the people" shit is right.

I like how even Media Matters is just throwing their hands up in disgust.

Heh. “Manafort told multiple discernible lies - these were not instances of mere memory lapses.”

That’s one hell of a conclusion.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This is kind of unbelievable. Manafort could have cooperated or not, yet it seems he took a third option and half cooperated/half lied. Just, how can this be so stupid?

Also the word Manafort has lost meaning for me and is now just a collection of sounds.

Nobeard on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They love him so much.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Out of everything they might glean from these filings, they decide the newsworthy headline is the Tweet that reads like Donny's talking to his imaginary friend? What the heck kind of priorities are these?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So manafort was coordinating with the admin and lying to mueller about it? That seems quite big.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Out of everything they might glean from these filings, they decide the newsworthy headline is the Tweet that reads like Donny's talking to his imaginary friend? What the heck kind of priorities are these?

Have you checked the thread on that tweet.

It is nothing but people saying "What the fuck is wrong with you." Or "Delete your account."

Fucking hilarious.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man that's a ratio 100 likes to 1k+ comments. Warms the cockles.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.