As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Keighlys are go (The Game Awards 2018)

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    iconic

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sonicfox for president of earth

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh, okay, guess nobody bothered to actually check what the shit they copypasted from actually meant

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Evidently Rockstar stormed out after not winning game of the year lol

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    lol

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    As someone who doesn’t really follow Mortal Kombat I am real confused.

the past few games (9 and X) have been a reboot, alternate timeline thing
    This looks like maybe the return of the original characters from the original timeline?

But why is Raiden evil? And why did MK1 Scorpion show up? Why are they bringing back weapons again?

raiden is evil because he cleansed the heart of the earth after it had been tainted by an evil fallen elder god

Scorpions look changes every entry

they arent in the way you think (as stances), some characters have weapon strikes as part of their normal attacks, like yoshimitsu in tekken or something

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    oh uh @Lasbrook if you care

that was mostly compulsive

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular

This looks like maybe the return of the original characters from the original timeline?

But why is Raiden evil? And why did MK1 Scorpion show up? Why are they bringing back weapons again?

raiden is evil because he cleansed the heart of the earth after it had been tainted by an evil fallen elder god

they arent in the way you think (as stances), some characters have weapon strikes as part of their normal attacks, like yoshimitsu in tekken or something

Wait what

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have no idea who Sonic Fox is...but I like em

Bucketman wrote: »

He is a fighting game pro who is INSANELY good

And is also a gay african american furry in an extremely bigoted community (the fgc) who beats the shit out of those people

Peas wrote: »

Wait what

@Peas

In Mortal Kombat the earth has a mystic heart/power source type thing called the Jinsei

Shinnok, an ex elder god who went evil, tainted this source and was going to use the power for evil purposes

Raiden cleansed it, but in doing so got tainted with evil energy

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Re: Mortal Kombat 11 (spoiler/speculation)
    I guess there is some time-fuckery going on so different kombatants from different eras will be around.

Which is why OG Scorpion shows up at the end, and with a shot of a lady next to an hourglass (who is probably pulling the strings).

This is a great way to bring back fan favorites that have been killed off (Shinnok, Quan Chi, Smoke, etc.)

Hopefully they don't roll back Raiden's character development because I really enjoy him being a total dick.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Over/Under on that lady at the end being from Order Realm?

And is also a gay african american furry in an extremely bigoted community (the fgc) who beats the shit out of those people

Ok yeah, Sonic Fox is a cool dude to me

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

I wonder if the Order Realm is just sick of Raiden fucking with the timeline so she tries to fix it and causes all the chaos.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I wonder if the Order Realm is just sick of Raiden fucking with the timeline so she tries to fix it and causes all the chaos.

This is kind of what I'm thinking

They'd be a good, kinda unconventional antagonist

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jesus I didn't realize MK 11 would be out in April, that rules

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »

yeah they kept the same cycle jusjust shortened the marketing window

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really oughta play MK9 and X at least for the story mode.

Moriveth wrote: »

yes!! theyre good!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Its totally worth it, best story modes in any fighting game and fun as hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I've heard as much

I'm real bad at fighting games though, I think I stalled out on MK9's story for that reason.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

god I could go for more shortened marketing windows

agree

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I've heard as much

I'm real bad at fighting games though, I think I stalled out on MK9's story for that reason.

I know I’ve played all the way though MK9 but it’s been so long I forget anything about the story. For whatever reason I just cannot grasp the input and combo mechanics vs something like a SF or anime fighter.

I did MK9 after it was on sale awhile ago for super cheap, it was fun! I still need to grab X though

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

agree

I wonder how much the industry has analyzed the efficacy of longer marketing cycles

like does 18 months worth of hype videos and ad buys result in larger sales numbers?

or does saving the marketing budget until a few months before launch result in more profits?

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Short marketing cycles are only possible when you have a definitive launch date and know you can keep to it, probably a lot of companies don't have that luxury or may need to be sure there's hype for the game to help secure funding, publishers, etc.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    man I'm super down for that Hello Games thing, I really like that model, sounds sorta like what Double Fine used to do

They're still mostly working on No Man's Sky but a couple people are the studio get to splinter off and make a personal project

6F32U1X.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular

Ok yeah, Sonic Fox is a cool dude to me

Something else I want to point out about SonicFox that I appreciate. So like... it's easy to think that fighting games are readily interchangeable, viewed from the outside. But that's like saying you could easily jump from Counter-Strike to PUBG to Quake to Tribes and be just as proficient in any of them. Some things carry over, but you have to account for some very different systems.

Well, SonicFox was initially known as an NRS player-- Mortal Kombat and Injustice, kind of slow, stiltedly-animated games with not exactly "shallow" player-bases but less than the Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, and so on types. A lot of the FGC types dismissed him as a big fish of a small pond.

Then SonicFox took up Dragonball FighterZ. DBFZ is an "anime fighter", which is on the polar opposite end of the scale. Very long combos, very fast character movement, small timing windows, and (I know this sounds silly) a much larger Japanese player base. And you know what? SonicFox didn't just do well, he won EVO, the biggest international fighting game tournament that the best of the best show up to.

So SonicFox didnt just win big, he also won big in the face of the community setting out to diminish his accomplishments. It's a real underdog story that went the right way.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    SonicFox seems like a cool dude.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Short marketing cycles are only possible when you have a definitive launch date and know you can keep to it, probably a lot of companies don't have that luxury or may need to be sure there's hype for the game to help secure funding, publishers, etc.

The shorter your marketing cycle the closer you are to a release date, and presumably that means it's firmer.

It seems like Outer Worlds is also going to be a short cycle since it's slated for 2019 right?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fallout 4 should’ve shown everyone that a four month hype cycle is perfectly fine, and MK11 is only going to justify it more

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    That means the hype cycle for Injustice 3 will be short but I love the hype cycle for those games

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    MK11 coming out in it's normal release window reinforces my thoughts that the announcement was purposefully held back from E3 for the Game Awards instead, which is sort of interesting to think about in terms of just what E3 means to different companies these days.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Fallout 4 should’ve shown everyone that a four month hype cycle is perfectly fine, and MK11 is only going to justify it more

I’m guessing MK11 is probably moving much more aggressively into an online environment (the trailer could definitely make sense in that context as I’m sure we’re all gonna fight endless waves of Scorpion players for a while), and that, to me, implies the creation of a longer post-release hype cycle to keep people playing and grow the base.