As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    I think this sums up top tier atm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwbxsDCPuK4

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Words can not describe how deeply I'm looking forward to being done unlocking the KV-B1. RNG has me stuck running a challenge that requires my team to win a game since I don't want to waste golden eagles re-rolling it.

Air field domination. Simple right? I contribute three base captures and fifteen fighter kills. That enough to tip the tides? Am I carrying hard enough? NOPE. Spot checking my teammate's stats show them averaging 1:10 kill/death ratios. HOW DO YOU FLY THAT BAD!?!?!

EDIT:
    That's it. This will be the first day that I don't complete my dailies. I'm tired of these knuckle draggers. I've had like five games today where defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory because 90% of my team quit after like one or two deaths despite us otherwise having a massive advantage. Not one win today. Not one. Usually I'm topping my team's scoreboard with a thousand point lead and more kills than the two behind me combined. It is downright DEPRESSING watching my teammates fight. The only kills they get are from head-oning targets and then immediately afterwards their light blinks out because they just fly straight on into the wreckage. I'll see the FW190's and P-47's attempting to flat turn spitfires and zeroes and it just drains my soul. Just wow.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Words can not describe how deeply I'm looking forward to being done unlocking the KV-B1. RNG has me stuck running a challenge that requires my team to win a game since I don't want to waste golden eagles re-rolling it.

Air field domination. Simple right? I contribute three base captures and fifteen fighter kills. That enough to tip the tides? Am I carrying hard enough? NOPE. Spot checking my teammate's stats show them averaging 1:10 kill/death ratios. HOW DO YOU FLY THAT BAD!?!?!

EDIT:
    That's it. This will be the first day that I don't complete my dailies. I'm tired of these knuckle draggers. I've had like five games today where defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory because 90% of my team quit after like one or two deaths despite us otherwise having a massive advantage. Not one win today. Not one. Usually I'm topping my team's scoreboard with a thousand point lead and more kills than the two behind me combined. It is downright DEPRESSING watching my teammates fight. The only kills they get are from head-oning targets and then immediately afterwards their light blinks out because they just fly straight on into the wreckage. I'll see the FW190's and P-47's attempting to flat turn spitfires and zeroes and it just drains my soul. Just wow.

Those missions are all about knowing what BR your nation is auto win. For instance right now as usa, the easiest thing to do is load a 9.0+ tank and plane for free win. Or a jumbo line up.

I don't really play air rb so dunno what's auto win BR there.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    It's air arcade battles, so nations are mixed. I'm playing to my nation's advantages. Namely Bf109 F4's and P-47s. I perform well, but it falls apart when my team gets a lot of players that throw in the towel after one death while half the other team fields their entire lineup.

It used to be that I could hard force a win by hunting down all of the medium tanks with my ducks and their mk103 30mm cannons, but mk103's are absolutely dogshit terrible at killing medium tanks these days. Those cannons have been nerfed and nerfed and nerfed and nerfed. Their accuracy sucks these days and it takes maybe 10 hits to the roof or engine to knock out a medium tank, wheras two years ago I could wipe out a column if they all lined up and I hit them from behind.

Most of my special challenges have been the one where I need to earn Punisher, so I'll field my premium Do335 or Sturmvogel to jack up my lineup's battle rating and then just go on a killing spree with my P-47, HS-129s, or Bf 109 F4's.

edit:
    I really just went full tilt tonight after a string of stupid defeats due to my team just lawndarting. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though. I've only got a few more dailies left, one victory with me in the top 3 positions of my team, and then one final remaining challenge medal. I'm usually always within my team's top 3, so it's a matter of rolling the dice until my team finally wins. It just hurts watching these people fly sometimes. Like in the airfield domination matches, we might hold two of the three airfields and all that we need to do is keep the airspace over the central one contested enough that we can't land. Then an enemy P-47 dives in from the moon and then zooms off into the sunset while half my team with a tenth of the energy chase after him because they're totally going to be waiting when that p-47 finally hits the map edge, and then we lose control of THE only important objective on the map because we've lost half our force and as good as I am in a 109 I'm still not good enough to take on the entire opposing team while still guaranteeing that nobody can make a landing approach to take the airfield. Or let's say that there is a pitched dogfight over the airfield and the opposing team controls it. It just rips the wind out of my sails when I pull off a badass move like finding an opening to punch through the enemy formation, do a split-S that levels out ten feet from the ground, and cap the airfield at 600 KPH before the angry swarm can coalesce on me. Something that could have been a game-winning maneuver, but then upon respawning I see that my teammates who are still contesting the airspace will just ignore some plane putter in at 200 kph to literally land and come to a stop on the airfield to recap it again for the enemy. It makes me want to scream to put down the bowl of paint chips and keep your attention on the battle.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Ah yeah, arcade is by far the hardest mode to just cheese a win thanks to nation dominance on X br.

And it's now years since I last actually played a bunch of air AB. Stopped once I had unlocked the Mig 15 Bis, and la 15/174. Now I just slowly grind out the rest from killing cas in GFRB.

And the mk103s where nerfed because they just straight up removed tanks in gfrb ;)

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    AI tanks have different damage models than player controlled tanks and the mk103 wasn't the problem in ground RB. Only the Horton was causing problems with its literal UFO flight model. Ducks and Me410s have the same guns and are matched up against softer tanks and they dominated jack shit. Even then the worst of the Hortons transgressions hardly held a candle to the allied "cap and J out" CAS spam at its height. Spawn back in with a P-47 that can casually shred three to five tanks with its bombs and rockets while still having thousands of rounds of AP fifty cal that tear apart spaag and open topped tank destroyers like nothing.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    AI tanks have different damage models than player controlled tanks and the mk103 wasn't the problem in ground RB. Only the Horton was causing problems with its literal UFO flight model. Ducks and Me410s have the same guns and are matched up against softer tanks and they dominated jack shit. Even then the worst of the Hortons transgressions hardly held a candle to the allied "cap and J out" CAS spam at its height. Spawn back in with a P-47 that can casually shred three to five tanks with its bombs and rockets while still having thousands of rounds of AP fifty cal that tear apart spaag and open topped tank destroyers like nothing.

While nothing was at the level of allied cas, the german cannon cas was devestating.

The Horton was reking havoc all over top tier. And the prem TA with 3 30mm was doing much the same. The Me410s dosn't dominate as much as they are way easier to shoot down!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Since we talked about the duck! =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMWmbdo49U

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I hope that everyone who was trying to get the KV-1B or other war bond vehicle was successful.

December's lineup of war bond vehicles is significantly less enticing, but I need to unlock this decal. It has potential.

eyt9qdb6r13q.png

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is it April 1st?

• Options
    I just hope that we never progress forward enough in the time line for the Su-27 or SU-37. I pretty much give zero fucks about WW2 soviet aircraft and have barely scratched their aviation tree. But the flanker and super flanker? I would be compelled to get them. I don't want to grind through the whole Russian tree.

Maybe, if it comes to that, I can hope that they will be lazy and give East Germany a Flanker too.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just hope that we never progress forward enough in the time line for the Su-27 or SU-37. I pretty much give zero fucks about WW2 soviet aircraft and have barely scratched their aviation tree. But the flanker and super flanker? I would be compelled to get them. I don't want to grind through the whole Russian tree.

Maybe, if it comes to that, I can hope that they will be lazy and give East Germany a Flanker too.

If the F-15, F-16, and/or F-18, along with the AH-64 get added, my wallet will be thoroughly screwed.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Argh, I'd really prefer them to go backwards in time. I want to shoot down Fokker Triplanes with my Sopwith Camel, dammit. And pre-ordering Flying Circus for $70 USD seems like an unwise use of money...

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Until we get sam spaa, this just means top tier gf will be even more unplayable....

But maybe this will be a fun verson of jet gameplay!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Super sonic jets are live!

Now to wrap up that mig 17 so I can get the mig 19 huuuuuuum!

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I just woke up in a cold sweat with the realization: I give no shits about American prop planes, but I'd really want an F-16 (or an F-14, but that seems less likely). :bigfrown:

EDIT: Maybe I could weasel my way to an F-15J...haha, yeah right, like I'd have patience for that tier of air combat.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    This winter event has started. There are flash sales on premium time and vehicles throughout the week. Also an event to unlock rare vehicles.

https://warthunder.com/en/news/5967-news-festivities-in-war-thunder-en
    https://warthunder.com/en/news/5962-special-festive-quest-en

qw4k9twpy2ma.jpg

I think that I'm just gonna go for the tank this year. While it would be neat to have a rare fockewulf, I have never once enjoyed playing Fw190's. I started playing the game RIGHT after they made a flight model change that ruined the Fw190's elevator authority, and I've felt them to be terrible ever since. That said, those are Doras and this isn't a Dora. The Antons have been pretty good in my experience, although perpetually at tiers that do not mesh with my lineup. Maybe I'll try to pick it up on the market. There are bound to be people who are grinding for it for the sole purpose of dumping it on the market.

I'm still trying to find the sweetspot for easy wins. I thought that I would be able to coast through on my brand new and completely OP KV-1B, but I have been uptiered EVER SINGLE GAME into 5.0 matches. I don't know, maybe that's what I deserve trying to queue in an OP vehicle. I'm tempted to pull out my own jumbos to see how that works, but I'd like to use german vehicles.

Anyway, here's a clip from last evening.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvpp8TfNrw&feature=youtu.be

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    65a17hgdja2v.jpg

Found a new awesome camo for my favorit tank! =D

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Can someone say, "Artistic postwar monument that apparently still runs?"

Well, at least as well as a KV-1 ever did.

I forgot how good a game War Thunder can look, once you get past the UI horror a online-only FTP. I don't think I've played it since I got my GTX 1080ti...and now Nvidia supports Freesync...hmmm.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I forgot how good a game War Thunder can look, once you get past the UI horror a online-only FTP. I don't think I've played it since I got my GTX 1080ti...and now Nvidia supports Freesync...hmmm.

The game actually looks fantastic once you crank it up to max, sadly I have butcherd all my graphics to spot things easier =p

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The difference between even halfway decent graphics and ultra low quality mode is astounding. Even stuff like concrete walls de-render and they can see right through them.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The difference between even halfway decent graphics and ultra low quality mode is astounding. Even stuff like concrete walls de-render and they can see right through them.

It's not even uql you just need low on render distance and volla, no bushes or walls after 50meters

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm running a 970 that's probably on its last legs and the game runs wonderfully even on movie settings.

Naval matches at dusk/night are certainly a treat given the amount of tracer spam..

• Options
    You know what it takes for me to patch up my copy of this game? A flak 41 glued to a modified panzer IV chassis, that's what.

s24vey40adec.jpg
    https://warthunder.com/en/news/6144-development-vfw-german-ballista-en

Some kind of "Battlefield Engineer" event.
    https://warthunder.com/en/news/6145-special-battlefield-engineer-en

6j20kmkvnzul.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I dunno if I'm going to try for the event vehicles - every time there's a new vehicle event the grind/hoop-jumping process gets worse and worse. I could barely even figure out how to get them in the previous event, much less actually put in the time.

I think the actual minimum time to unlock one vehicle without shelling out three-figure sums is 13 hours.

On the other hand, since I now have a computer that doesn't barf all over itself the moment anything graphically demanding happens I can actually start playing with tanks and ships again!

• Options
    The event vehicles are pretty consistently at least novel, if not outright cool.

I just can't get over the whole "Blatant effort to lure you back into the grinding ecosysem, or better yet, just have you fork over the cost of a full game for one vehicle."

• Options
    The good thing about this event is that the player requirement is simply to play and get more than 50% battle activity. Additionally tier 2 vehicles are allowed, so I'm able to use some fun low tier favorites. The bad is that the the grind is nested in itself like some kind of hellish Matryoshka doll.

I'm probably going to finish unlocking the VFW in another day or so. Last I checked, I'm just missing several toolkits and the fuselage covering. I'll just accumulate those toolkits and then sell my excess toolkits on the market to buy the covering. Then the VFW will be mine. However in updated news, it seems that reports of the VFW having a 700 HP engine were false. It has about half that, but that's still a decent amount for it.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Sorry to bump the thread, but I just wanted to get this notice out to those whom it may concern:

Gaijin is about to remove several vehicles from Germany's lineup within the next few weeks. Players who own the vehicles already, or who have begun researching them, will keep them/keep the ability to research them. Otherwise they will be out of reach. The following four vehicles are as follows:

Panther II
    Tiger II (105mm)
    Flakpanzer 341 "Coelian"
    Maus

https://warthunder.com/en/news/6317-development-changes-and-optimization-in-the-german-tech-tree-en

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    No more Maus? Booooooooo. I always had fun fighting those.

• Options
    People who already own them will keep them, and those who have begun researching them will be able to continue researching them. However once the patch hits, no one new will be able to begin researching them. In the notice, they talk about maybe bringing it back a reward for future events.

I should be in the clear since I own the Panther II, Tiger II (105mm), and Flakpanzer 341. I've begun researching Maus as well.

This however absolutely GUTS Germany's 6.7 lineup. They'll be missing both light tanks and medium tanks in their tech tree at that BR. Once the patch hits, the only vehicles in the research tree available to german teams at 6.7 will be the JPz 4-5, Tiger II H, and Jagdtiger. Veterans will ofcourse still have their artifacts, but they'll gradually become more rare over time and this will be progressively felt by german teams within matchmaking range of 6.7

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So, I'm thinking that some variant of the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter is going to be added into the game sometime before too long.

Why do I think this? Because of the recent set of attack helicopters that've just been released into the game yesterday (October 29th):
    • Ka-50 Black Shark (with its laser-guided Vikhr ATGMs)
    • A129 Mangusta (with the laser-guided AGM-114 Hellfire missile)

I mean, sure, the US has the AH-1Z Viper...but it'd be nice to have that 30mm chain-gun.

EDIT - oh, hey, lookit that. I totally didn't notice that the Mi-28N got added in too. Yeah, the AH-64 better be coming in the near future...

EDIT2 - oh dear...checking out the various reviews of the Ka-50 and things are looking kinda grim. A 10km ATGM that is also effective against air targets due in part to it being an airbursting missile... yeah, that's gonna be some rough times.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    That leaves me torn between "I should deal with the Hideous Tank Grind because I want to play helicopters eventually" and "I'm glad I'm not playing high-tier tanks around things like that."

Kind of annoyed that they actually did a version-number update revolving around a premium vehicle though. Even for Gaijin, come on.

• Options
    I suspect that you're right about the Apache. I just find it odd how they keep adding all of this stuff that is increasingly more modern. They're increasingly adding stuff on top of the tech tree, and adding in more nations, but they've done very little to alleviate the grind to GET TO the modern stuff much less get to it in multiple nations. If anything I feel like the grind is getting worse, such as the hellscape that is trying to climb up one of the naval trees. I tried pushing up to the early German destroyers this past summer for the summer event, and it was terrible and I didn't really enjoy the vehicles until I got to the K2 Kanonenboot, which was a feast or famine vehicle that kinda sucked against higher BR destroyers if they knew how to aim but could also be an OP bully when downtiered against a patrol boats.

On top of that, I feel like the balancing and gameplay are more fun at the lower BRs, so I don't see why I should be grinding towards later tier vehicles that will provide me with longer queue times and less enjoyable matches? Except perhaps a desire to be at the very tip top BR so that the matchmaker physically can't uptier you.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The grind's better than when spent a few years pretending there wasn't an incredibly obvious hard cap on research per match, but yeah, it's still painful. Aside from filling out tier 2 boats and some tier 3 tanks I'm pretty much accepting the fact that I'm not likely to get anywhere in the game.

The 2.0-3.0 range is generally my sweet spot in terms of matches that are consistently fun. Given how many people are focused on endgame stuff I'm glad enough people seem to agree about that range that queue times aren't that bad. Most of the time I'm flying with friends we just stick to Spitfire Mk. IIs or P-40s.

(Or Chaikas if we're feeling roflstompy.)

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I mostly play with German kit and stick to my pz IVs and 109 f4's. Climbing up higher starts running into problems where the German team's vehicles boil down to a nation of heavy tanks with their panthers and tigers, and then it's an exercise in frustration since the opposition starts getting more agile with hellcats and postwar toys.

My problem later on is with the matchmaker and how it is more restrictive in nation pair ups than it was a few years a back. Once you reach BR ~5+, germany becomes a nation of heavy tanks that are sorely lacking in the agile flanker department, and what few options that they have are either very rare event vehicles or very expensive premiums. That wasn't much of an issue back when you could get the Operation Unthinkable team of Germany+USA or pair up alongside the brits to get some more agile tanks into your team's force. But now such pair ups are impossible and Germany is forced to rely upon Italy and Japan as its allies, and while Italy brings some rapid vehicles into the mix both Italy and Japan have extremely anemic trees and it is likely that once their opening vehicle dies they are likely to either go straight back to the hangar or start fielding undertiered vehicles for lack of alternatives to run at the same BR. So Italy and Japan's poor showing leaves you with a "Germany vs the world" scenario, and that doesn't work out so well since Germany doesn't have a balanced lineup and in turn their heavy armor gets encircled by agile flankers since Germany physically can not match the agility of its opposition. At this point most of Germany's wins at that BR are when it gets paired with Russia to actually balance out Germany's lineup.

Then after getting sick of that, I'll swap over to America and literally feel like I'm cheating in the Jumbo sherman where the only downside is "well sometimes your teammates mop up all the kills before you can get the kill." It's just like night and day. Going from the Tiger whose turret is a massive liability and whose hull armor can only stop shots when angled, to the Jumbo whose turret is essentially invulnerable, whose front hull is immune everywhere except a grapefruit sized chink in its armor, and whose gun is actually stabilized at that low of a BR. It's like you're actually cheating, it's unreal.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Over the last few days I've been flying jets again.

I'm... pleasantly surprised. It is a bit late, but they have really expanded and improved the whole experience.
    The module grind seems like it is substantially less punishing than it was, and the issues with BR compression/being matched against impossibly better aircraft have improved as well; it is much less frequent that the only reasonable response to entering a match is to J out and re-queue.

I don't have any aircraft that can use them, but the air-to-air missiles seem to be really well handled. They are moderately realistic and add some depth and interest to the gameplay without being oppressive.

Helicopters and boats seem interesting.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I saw that earlier, figured it was some kind of Russian idiom that didn’t translate.

• Options
    Let me assure you, the translation is correct. Their post is insane and I don't what possessed them to post it, but the video clip kinda proves that they knew what they were saying when they said it. Obviously we should all receive apology golden eagles.

3DS Friend Code: