As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    If the machine was encrypted and locked to hell, and it was 100% impossible to hack and put additional games on it, people would have a field day giving Sony shit over it. Rightfully so, don't get me wrong. But my own personal opinion is that while hacking would be nice, they're also not necessarily under any obligation to make it possible.

So the idea that the system might actually be akin to a refrigerator with its light always on, and people giving Sony shit for having zero protection on it seems weird and oddly hypocritical.

I'm also just remembering that there was a message somewhere in the Nintendo Classics from the devs that was more or less "Yeah, we know you're in here, we don't care, have fun!".

It's the ineptitude of it all. Why even bother encrypting it at all? This is the digital equivalent of having a secure password on your computer but having a post it note with the password attached to your monitor.

• Options
    But Sony is the company that got hacked and it was revealed that everything was stored in plain text so I shouldn't be surprised by any of this lol.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The 1UpArcade Rampage cabinet is sort of tempting, and would easily be a buy on sight if you could add games to it. They should have an online arcade store you could connect to and buy arcade games from, I'd be willing to drop some change on that.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    After seeing the popularity of the SNES Classic actually go up after people started hacking it, I would fully believe if they intentionally made the PSClassic so.

It allows them to still make sales, and just not spend the extra cash licensing the expensive games that people want if you're just worried about buying the hardware.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    I would be all over a classic with a list like that. Parasite eve, vagrant story, and megaman legends? Hell yes.
    at least all 3 of those are on ps3, vita/tv and psp.

This is why I'm not too upset about the ps classic sucking so bad. We have a lot of the PS1 greats on PSN with plenty of ways to play them.

Well at least PS3 and vita. Can you still access the store on psp? Or would you have to do a transfer or something?

download on PS3, copy over to PSP, pretty simple.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    If the machine was encrypted and locked to hell, and it was 100% impossible to hack and put additional games on it, people would have a field day giving Sony shit over it. Rightfully so, don't get me wrong. But my own personal opinion is that while hacking would be nice, they're also not necessarily under any obligation to make it possible.

So the idea that the system might actually be akin to a refrigerator with its light always on, and people giving Sony shit for having zero protection on it seems weird and oddly hypocritical.

I'm also just remembering that there was a message somewhere in the Nintendo Classics from the devs that was more or less "Yeah, we know you're in here, we don't care, have fun!".

It's the ineptitude of it all. Why even bother encrypting it at all? This is the digital equivalent of having a secure password on your computer but having a post it note with the password attached to your monitor.

So where's the backlash at Nintendo for having a machine that anyone can hack with a usb cable?

I can easily see this as someone somewhere demanding that they implement security measures, and the people in charge doing just enough to pass muster.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

So where's the backlash at Nintendo for having a machine that anyone can hack with a usb cable?

I can easily see this as someone somewhere demanding that they implement security measures, and the people in charge doing just enough to pass muster.

What backlash are you seeing? I'm just poking fun at how poorly this whole thing was thrown together.

Also to hack the SNES classic you need to download a program called hakchi2, which decrypts the contents on the device. You don't just need a USB cable. The difference is that you could do this by hand without downloading another program if you wanted with the PSClassic (if the above is true).

• Options
    I'm just getting a sense that the PS Classic is getting dumped on for it's game choice (fair), and also for being both too easily hackable and not hackable enough.

I'm seeing comments of 'wait I can't put my own games on here what the hell preorder cancelled' and 'wait it's that easy to hack what the hell are Sony thinking'.

• Options
    Well there are different people with different voices so you are seeing both sides of the argument. I like to poke fun at Sony but I honestly don't care either way. It's just adding to the pile of "minimal effort given" that I'm railing on it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Hmmm, are people actually "complaining" about the Playstation Mini being too hard to hack and insufficiently secure?

It sounds a lot more like mockery, rather than actual "complaints", for the later. No one except for the most bizarre Nintendo apologist complained about the NES/SNES Minis being "too easily to hack (and presumably alter Nintendo's perfect vision of this low-end hardware device)"--but plenty of people mocked it for being that easy. I was mildly amused too, but I don't even think I've gone as far as to "mock" it since without that ability I would have never bought mine.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, it's definitely mockery and scoffing rather than complaining. I think that's just a thing some hackers like to do. :)

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That list still doesn't have Bushido Blade, but it nevertheless is a lot more appealing to me.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I'd take Tomb Raider III over Tomb Raider II in pretty much every possible circumstance (aside from "I really want to auto-target waves of bad guys instead of exploring"). It's also technically superior in terms of lighting effects and environments.

Still, they're better lists than what we got.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That list still doesn't have Bushido Blade, but it nevertheless is a lot more appealing to me.

That and Einhander. But mostly Bushido Blade. That game was a riot.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i'm dumping on it because the game selection is bad and the emulation is terrible
    and it's 100 bucks

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

The first time I played Bushido Blade, I was going into it thinking it was Square's attempt at a Tekken clone. After getting killed in a single slice, I knew that this was quite different.

• Options
    Wow, surprised I forgot Einhander. That was my favorite PS1 game for quite a while (since FFVII was a PC game for me).

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

The first time I played Bushido Blade, I was going into it thinking it was Square's attempt at a Tekken clone. After getting killed in a single slice, I knew that this was quite different.

I had a friend I played ungodly amounts of different fighting games with on the PlayStation. The Tekkens and Soul Blade, of course, but also various Street Fighters (I still like EX + Alpha despite itself), Bushido Blade, Rival Schools United By Fate, Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi, obscurities like Star Gladiator (confusingly subtitled Episode 1: Final Conflict, IIRC)... we played the lot. Good times. You could fill up a PS Classic just with them.

Even though the Saturn was better for 2D fighters. Ooh, a Saturn Classic. I would do unspeakable things for one of those. No debasement would be too low if it would make that happen.

• Options
    Even though the Saturn was better for 2D fighters. Ooh, a Saturn Classic. I would do unspeakable things for one of those. No debasement would be too low if it would make that happen.

A Saturn import would necessitate an import. Like, why even bother having one if it doesn't come with Sakura Taisen and Sakura Taisen 2. What would even be the point?

(So, I recall my love of those games isn't shared by everyone.)

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

I had a friend I played ungodly amounts of different fighting games with on the PlayStation. The Tekkens and Soul Blade, of course, but also various Street Fighters (I still like EX + Alpha despite itself), Bushido Blade, Rival Schools United By Fate, Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi, obscurities like Star Gladiator (confusingly subtitled Episode 1: Final Conflict, IIRC)... we played the lot. Good times. You could fill up a PS Classic just with them.

Apparently there's been a breakthrough in Saturn emulation recently. I would love to see a Saturn mini making use of this technology. So many amazing games for that system. And so unlikely that it would ever happen.:(

• Options
    Burning Rangers alone...

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Sad news today from Sega.
    "We aren’t going to sell out our legacy because you didn’t have your shit together in the ‘90s."

LOL! No that's some funny shit. I love parody articles.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Joking aside, I mean, it's not like it's hard to buy a working Dreamcast. Or Dreamcast games. In fact, it might be cheaper to do both than the current price point for these things.

My only complaint is that with me trying to sell my Vizio M, I no longer have a (large) TV with component inputs...so instead I Just need to plug it into my small 720p-capable LG. Which is actually a very good size for a Dreamcast anyway, though relegating the console to bedroom status.

• Options
    Seeing more and more of stuff like this come out of that Discord:
    sb1n0tvye1pl.jpg

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Joking aside, I mean, it's not like it's hard to buy a working Dreamcast. Or Dreamcast games. In fact, it might be cheaper to do both than the current price point for these things.

My only complaint is that with me trying to sell my Vizio M, I no longer have a (large) TV with component inputs...so instead I Just need to plug it into my small 720p-capable LG. Which is actually a very good size for a Dreamcast anyway, though relegating the console to bedroom status.

I think they have VGA-HDMI adapters.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow, surprised I forgot Einhander. That was my favorite PS1 game for quite a while (since FFVII was a PC game for me).

I got it sitting on the shelf. I also have my secret stash of Megaman Legends 1 & 2, Tron Bonne, and Suikoden 1 & 2.

I like to collect dem games.

• Options
  • Options
    I remember watching my friend play Tomb Raider in college. There was that crazy part where you have to dive into a little hole.

• Options
    Tomb Raider is one of those early games you could hardware accelerate.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    The drowning animations in Tomb Raider one still squick me right out.

• Options
    I think TR1 is the one where there's a dive that's so long it triggers her death scream, then keeps going so it triggers her death scream again?
    "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! [breathe] Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I think TR1 is the one where there's a dive that's so long it triggers her death scream, then keeps going so it triggers her death scream again?

One of those things that's immediately silly, but upon reflection, all too realistic.

• Options
    I loved the Cistern and Saint Francis' Folly. The remake is also pretty good.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/rW7kx0uCNmk

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

One of those things that's immediately silly, but upon reflection, all too realistic.

Yeah. I think that is the one I was talking about. You have to dive into a little hole.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Initial names created for some of the tools these guys have made are lolhack and BleemSync. :)

One of them has already reported getting angry emails from people who have bricked their system using the tools published which are not really ready for public consumption! Fun times.

edit: one can also run a script (using lolhack) that makes it so that emulator menu can be brought up with a button combination on the controller.

SteevL on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I should give TR another chance sometime, but I remember renting it as a kid and being stuck in one of the early levels, maybe even the first, and it being so damn dark that I could not see anything and shooting a tiger 20 times and it still not dying and even as a kid with all the patience in the world for games and still saying no forget this.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I should give TR another chance sometime, but I remember renting it as a kid and being stuck in one of the early levels, maybe even the first, and it being so damn dark that I could not see anything and shooting a tiger 20 times and it still not dying and even as a kid with all the patience in the world for games and still saying no forget this.
    That was my entire Tomb Raider experience as well. I rented the first one, got confused and frustrated, died a few times, didn't like the controls, then never played another Tomb Raider game in my life.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    That was my entire Tomb Raider experience as well. I rented the first one, got confused and frustrated, died a few times, didn't like the controls, then never played another Tomb Raider game in my life.

Basically, same for me. Until the recent reboot. Those have been great!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean I enjoyed them on the 360 and the new ones are good, but man the first one was rough even back then.

Steam: offday