As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who has the time to listen to music on [Vinyl] anymore?

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The wife and I got into swing dancing and we've been collecting big band/swing jazz records. Mostly modern reprints but Glenn Miller and Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald sound incredible on vinyl.

Amy Winehouse is a powerhouse on vinyl as well.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about it right now and Heart's Dreamboat Annie might be the best album

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    The wife and I got into swing dancing and we've been collecting big band/swing jazz records. Mostly modern reprints but Glenn Miller and Count Basie and Ella Fitzgerald sound incredible on vinyl.

Amy Winehouse is a powerhouse on vinyl as well.

Big bind/swing jazz would be a lot of fun to collect. Get some Cab Calloway, perhaps some Scott Joplin if'n you're into ragtime.

Hmm... ragtime.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    i've been obsessed with collecting new orleans music for a while... especially the meters and dr. john, but it's a rabbit-hole. hard to indulge from australia, but when i was there i stocked up, including this amazing professor longhair live album:

https://youtu.be/XA-sQISjYnI

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    All Talking Heads

All the time

I have Stop Making Sense, True Stories and Little Creatures on vinyl here in Singapore and I would SWEAR I have Speaking in Tongues and More Songs About Buildings and Food in storage but since I haven't seen my vinyl storage in... six years... can't be sure.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I took some quick images of a few of my favorites. This isn't even close to all of them, but I don't want to make a post that's 400 screens long

Tom Waits - Small Change
    ufkcop6c4wbc.jpg

Weird Al - Dare To Be Stupid
    m6tjfmakxjp0.jpg

Pink Floyd - Meddle
    iz7prs1vmu7u.jpg

New york Dolls - Night of The Living Dolls (New York Dolls are criminally underrated imo)
    fudd4iypcfpf.jpg

Most of my Beatles Albums
    h09381b914oo.jpg

Camper Van Beethoven - Take The Skinheads Bowling EP (another highly underrated band)
    0qesmgv66kot.jpg

Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper and The Dead Milkmen!
    ghllmqxzsnwx.jpg

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Those are great - Weird Al's Dare to be Stupid was actually one of my first two records I owned when I was a kid (I don't have it anymore). I had that, and a KTel compilation called "Goofy Greats" that had novelty songs like Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its Flavor and Sugar, Sugar. Eventually I'd like to find both, but there are like a dozen versions of the latter, and I'm not certain which one I actually had.

I'm also super jealous of the Camper Van album!

Maybe I'll take a few pictures of my favorites in my collection later. One thing I really need to do is get them in sleeves like yours, I know it's good for them and honestly would help contain the funk from some of the older ones.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Golden Earring is one of the great, underrated bands in history.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh good... Now I'm adding vinyl to my Amazon wishlist.

• Options
    Why doesn't Amazon have a big button that just imports all of Tom Waits catalog on vinyl into your wishlist?

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Strictly speaking, how necessary are sleeves? I prefer to keep them out of their sleeves for aesthetic reasons. Do they really need the protection?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Strictly speaking, how necessary are sleeves? I prefer to keep them out of their sleeves for aesthetic reasons. Do they really need the protection?

Depends. I use them because I buy thrift store vinyl and I don't want intermingling funk

• Options
    Why doesn't Amazon have a big button that just imports all of Tom Waits catalog on vinyl into your wishlist?

I was slightly disappointed with my reissue copy of Closing Time - it wasn't as clean as I had hoped, has a lot of crackles and whatnot.

• Options
    Well, I took a couple of pictures. I'll spoiler it for size, but some of my favorites for various reasons:
    First, like I mentioned, I bought Hanson's Greatest Hits. It's on three clear orange records and sounds pretty great.

at9yqvvdmqon.jpg

Second, the most recent John Prine album, the Tree of Forgiveness. Again on colored vinyl - transparent green - just because it was I think the independent record store edition. If you like the old time singer/songwriter stuff with a sense of humor I highly recommend it (and his entire back-catalog).

4z55ecrfe6y3.jpg

I also mentioned country, I have all three of Kacey Musgraves albums on vinyl, two of which are pretty neat looking. Her second is one a white/pink swirl record, the most recent is transparent.

q6hiqyny04vh.jpg

Since I do admittedly like colored records, I'll also post what I think is the best looking vinyl in my collection, the B sides album Alanis Morissette put out a few record store days ago:

rud9fesm7gho.jpg

Next, I absolutely love Bobby Brown. I know he's had a questionable personal life, but I still really like his stuff:

ycaxqg4qp0wh.jpg

I also really like Robbie Williams, but in the states finding physical copies of his recent stuff is tricky, on record required importing, but I'm pretty happy to have the one I have:

v93h41djz15a.jpg

And finally for the holidays, I picked this up at a record show for two bucks. I have no idea what it sounds like, but we're putting up the tree this weekend, so hopefully I'll find out soon.

nq403d1lggzi.jpg

• Options
    Liking Bobby Brown is your prerogative.

• Options
    I found out today my turntable needs a new needle =/

• Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Liking Bobby Brown is your prerogative.
    But, people might say he's nasty.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So I'm finally cataloging my vinyl with Discogs and just got a shock, this David Bowie "1984" 40th anniversary single is going for like 10x what I paid for it???

https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-1984/release/5594114

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    And done!

https://www.discogs.com/user/jgeis915/collection

Biggest surprises were the value of The Protomen Act 1, my Depeche Mode live @ Dodger's Stadium bootleg, that Bowie single, and the Darksiders St. Vincent remix.

• Options
    I'm going to just need to make a separate wishlist for vinyl.

• Options
    I just rediscovered the Southern Lord website guys. They have Sleep and Sunn O))) on vinyl.

They let you skip a mortgage payment like, every year, right?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There is insufficient Electric Light Orchestra on these discogs lists...

• Options
    There is insufficient Electric Light Orchestra on these discogs lists...

Don't bring me down

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I really want to add Supergrass - i should Coco to my collection but even the reprint is like $50

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    i hit up my local place today and bought some vinyl. this double is not quite as irredeemably dorky as it looks:
    VmnHEoZ.png

this one definitely is.
    47jpsQm.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    A local video game pub/music venue has teamed up with Uber eats and now delivers a vinyl with certain food deliveries.

They're offering a new one every month, and upcoming records include Beastie Boys and Wu Tang Clan so

I might start ordering out more.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That sounds expensive

• Options
    About 30 bucks. Not bad!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I just found out that the Tron Legacy soundtrack is on vinyl and I am having a hell of a time not slamming that buy button

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    I just found out that the Tron Legacy soundtrack is on vinyl and I am having a hell of a time not slamming that buy button

SLAM IT!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

SLAM IT!

I gotta wait at least one paycheck out! Fiscal responsibility!!!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I bought @Janson the Stardew Valley soundtrack on vinyl. Of course this led to us buying a record player, since it seems silly to buy the vinyl without any way to play it. Anyway, the record player will be arriving today, but unfortunately we won't get the record till next week!

Also, man, I'd love the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack on Vinyl. Shame it's out of print.

• Options
    I got to spend some time in Vancouver on Thursday so I went to my favorite vinyl store (Audiopile on Commercial) and picked up a copy of Mirror Reaper by Bell Witch. I love being able to support small shops. I'm hoping that at some point my local shop will be able to get a slightly larger space so that they can carry more new vinyl.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh hello vinyl thread, didn’t know we had one!

I fuckin love my vinyl. Listened to my copy of Stoner Witch by the Melvins yesterday. Most recent acquisition was Primus’ Brown Album. I’ll have to post my current collection once I get home

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I bought @Janson the Stardew Valley soundtrack on vinyl. Of course this led to us buying a record player, since it seems silly to buy the vinyl without any way to play it. Anyway, the record player will be arriving today, but unfortunately we won't get the record till next week!

Also, man, I'd love the Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack on Vinyl. Shame it's out of print.

Aww shit you shoulda said something, I’ve got a spare player you could’ve just had

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really need a more stable piece of furniture to put my player on.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Aww shit you shoulda said something, I’ve got a spare player you could’ve just had

Damn! Well, maybe I’ll take it off your hands anyway so I can put one in the garage?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I really need a more stable piece of furniture to put my player on.

I'm with you on this. I had a nice spot all set up after I cleaned up my hangout space, but that fell through about two weeks later when my grow tent arrived and the only space for me to set it up was in the same half of my hangout space. Now I have a small area that I have to reach through to access my receiver because there's a giant black canvas box in the way.

• Options

Damn! Well, maybe I’ll take it off your hands anyway so I can put one in the garage?

You’re welcome to it, it’s not great but it plays. It’s a cheapo one I got at a second hand store, youll need speakers or something for it but it’s decent.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    i have a problem

my needle's trashed so vinyl is temporarily out of commission, my collection is glorious but bloated, and we have to move in a couple of weeks

is it time to... downsize...?

:cry:

sC4Q4nq.jpg