As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That is because the systems needed to run the non-combat features are not complete.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Funny you should mention there being too many fighters because they've just announced... another fighter. This is a Xi'an one though at least, which was probably necessary for SQ42.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Was the Freelancer always a two person minimum crew? 'Cause that sorta sucks.

Unless minimum is more along the lines of suggested.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It has 2 person minimum because turret. Everything else can be handled by the pilot.

It has 2 person minimum because turret. Everything else can be handled by the pilot.

Ah, good. I have a DUR and I'm thinking about getting the stupids and getting a MAX (or a HULL).

Just bear in mind if you have someone with you to handle energy and shields it would go better for you.

Just bear in mind if you have someone with you to handle energy and shields it would go better for you.

Yeah, but for whatever reason the one man ships usually don't give me a good independent space hauler with a cargo truck vibe. The HULLs are a little too specialized looking and the Aurora is too small. The Freelancers just have a nice lumpy tramp freighter look to them. The Constellation Taurus is good too, but that's even more multi-crew in design.

It's kind of annoying, there's eleventy-billion variants of one man fighter type ships (light, heavy, interdiction, stealth, blah), but (usually) only a single one man ship for each of the non-combat roles.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Zac at Hyper RPG decided to give the game a try...he Zac'd it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Ah, good. I have a DUR and I'm thinking about getting the stupids and getting a MAX (or a HULL).

I also have a DUR!! Hi5!!

I have a couple different base game packages for... reasons... which means i'll have a few different AI controlled buddies i plan to boss around to help me drive stuff. hopefully that shit works well.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So who here is buying one and naming it the Elbow

5gsowHm.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Holy shit.

Feature request:

"You are here" maps all over the place or placeable torches so I can find my way back to the bridge after I use the head.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited December 2018
    And there remains several rooms we have not seen. Thanks Teller.

Seriously, this video shows nothing that had not already been revealed except the setup of the airlock behind the bridge.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Holy shit.

Feature request:

"You are here" maps all over the place or placeable torches so I can find my way back to the bridge after I use the head.

If the closest head to the bridge is far enough away that you need maps then someone needs to have a talk with the design guys.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Seriously, this video shows nothing that had not already been revealed except the setup of the airlock behind the bridge.

*shrug* It was new to me.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well, last night I was finally tooling around the PU a little with a friend of mine (he was at Hurston, I was still on Port Olisar). Figured I'd spawn into my Avenger and fly down to meet him. Unfortunately, after lifting off from Port Olisar, I found that I couldn't QD directly to him and needed to set a course to the planet to spool up the QD. While navigating the Skymap and setting a course, I saw streaks of laser fire wizzing by me: apparently I was a numpty and wandered outside the armistice field and a Super Hornet was taking shots at me. Not sure if he was trying to kill me and failing miserably or if he was trying to figure out exactly how many shots it takes to drop an Avenger's shields, but I spun around and tore into him trying to get him to back off. I guess getting exploded counts as 'backing off'...but I have a strict "keep shooting until they stop shooting" policy, so I was obligated to keep the Tigerstreik spinning.

Yup...this is definitely channeling the spirit of Freelancer open servers pretty solidly.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

*shrug* It was new to me.

The first twenty minutes of the vertical slice from January has a solid walk-through on the ship.

https://youtu.be/a5Q-QFvFHxg

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

Feature request:

If the closest head to the bridge is far enough away that you need maps then someone needs to have a talk with the design guys.

If this vision of the future doesn't have space suits that automatically recycle my body waste into pocket snacks, why are we bothering with any of this anyway?

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    IIRC it was the same way with the Starfarer layout when they released that, and the logic is that it's not really meant to be truly functional, it's meant to be a FPS map that you can have neat boarding/defend actions on.

Can't wait to see the Bengal more.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    IIRC it was the same way with the Starfarer layout when they released that, and the logic is that it's not really meant to be truly functional, it's meant to be a FPS map that you can have neat boarding/defend actions on.

Hm, that is actually a pretty smart conceit.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited December 2018
    Well, it turns out they haven't shown the missle room in the Idris because it still isn't done.

(They are also not going to put it in pu until squadron is out, and they are still waiting for some dependencies before they can complete it and several other ships. The hull series needs a LOT of back end systems to complete.)

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Hm, that is actually a pretty smart conceit.

Yeah, that could prove to be a pretty neat way for in-game combat "maps" to be unique. A stock Starfarer will have a certain basic layout, sure, but what will it be like after a crew has had it for a while and done things like added rooms and removed bulkheads for different applications? Pirates could hit the ship and try to fight their way to the bridge, only to find the route they want has been used as a spare pantry and is now packed floor to ceiling with flour. Now they have to figure out a different route or else take the time to move the boxes out of the way.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Finally got myself an SSD and of course I had to check out what kind of difference it made to SC. Its night and day. No stuttering whatsoever in port olisar, will have to see how it handles Hurston later...

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

Feature request:

Everyone uses that one. Sometimes you need the kind of privacy only the XO's escape pod can provide.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Uw-Df748okk

The title is a little clickbaity, but this is pretty big. There's still the issue of the code shown on Bugsmashers, but Crytek has to prove that that wasn't fair use. If they can't, then I don't see what's left of the case. At least that's my take on it, but IANAL.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah the Judge approved RSI's move to dismiss the case. Crytek has 21 days to make a convincing argument not to, but the consensus seems to be that it is unlikely since if there was any convincing arguments Crytek could have made it would have prevented the Dismissal in the first place.

A lot of legal people had been kinda confused as to why Crytek pursued this in the first place as the case would likely have cost them more then they stood to gain. With this Dismissal RSI can now get Crytek to cover all or most of their legal fees too.

When this case was first being brought up, IIRC, most people figured Crytek was just trying to bully RSI in to a settlement and didn't actually want to go to court (because of the above). It could be that they didn't expect RSI to call their bluff.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    New Letter from the Chairman has a couple interesting things; a roadmap for Squadron 42, released financials from 2012 to 2017, and news that they've sold a 10% stake in the company to some folks to help raise funds for marketing the game to folks who haven't heard of it yet.
    The same caveats will apply to the Squadron 42 roadmap as they do to the PU's, but our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization, and polish) and then Beta.

Squadron 42 Alpha in January 2020? vOv

edited December 2018
    So, I know there are some folks here who are dying to hear about SQ42 and couldn't give a crap about the persistent universe stuff. Today's Letter from the Chairman email is definitely for those folks: The Squadron 42 Roadmap has been unveiled. I'm not attributing a value assessment, I'm just going to info dump and let people decide for themselves if it's something to be excited about or not:

According to the roadmap (which RSI have been pretty good about following in the persistent universe side of things), SQ42 should be in a Beta state in Q2 of 2020.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    This is some good info. I'd hoped we'd get SQ42 sooner, but I'm still completely willing to wait.

Also SC has a $500m valuation with shares to spare and they're still in the black.

But they'll only last 90 days tops. :lol: :rotate:

EH28YFo.jpg
    Rius wrote: »
    New Letter from the Chairman has a couple interesting things; a roadmap for Squadron 42, released financials from 2012 to 2017, and news that they've sold a 10% stake in the company to some folks to help raise funds for marketing the game to folks who haven't heard of it yet.
    The same caveats will apply to the Squadron 42 roadmap as they do to the PU's, but our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization, and polish) and then Beta.

what the fucking fuck

holy shit I don't even

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Yeah the Judge approved RSI's move to dismiss the case. Crytek has 21 days to make a convincing argument not to, but the consensus seems to be that it is unlikely since if there was any convincing arguments Crytek could have made it would have prevented the Dismissal in the first place.

A lot of legal people had been kinda confused as to why Crytek pursued this in the first place as the case would likely have cost them more then they stood to gain. With this Dismissal RSI can now get Crytek to cover all or most of their legal fees too.

When this case was first being brought up, IIRC, most people figured Crytek was just trying to bully RSI in to a settlement and didn't actually want to go to court (because of the above). It could be that they didn't expect RSI to call their bluff.

i just looked at the motion to dismiss - why do you think granting the motion would result in the case being dismissed?

fwKS7.png?1
    edited December 2018
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

what the fucking fuck

holy shit I don't even

This is the inexorable logic faced by every studio who raised money kickstarting. Kickstarter gives them a bunch of capital to make a product, but they don't need to give anyone any equity in exchange. So even if the logic is kickstarter should liberate consumers and developers from publishers, selling equity to a publisher at the end of the kickstarter process effectively lets them sell the same equity twice with no negative consequences. So if someone is trying to maximize their capital raise the way to do it is to wring as much out of you can out of your community and then go to investors, even if against the spirit of kickstarter. This is what obsidian ended up doing with Pillars and then partnering with paradox before selling to MSFT.

This is also why they are going to be unable to resist offering some sort of monthly subscription option when the game releases. Yeah it's not consistent with how they've marketed the product, but there's no financial reason not to extract additional surplus from your userbase in 2020 just because you pitched it differently in 2013.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure he's wtf'ing at the 2020 alpha date, not the investment stuff

kaliyama wrote: »

i just looked at the motion to dismiss - why do you think granting the motion would result in the case being dismissed?

https://youtu.be/desAqe9xlAE

EH28YFo.jpg
    Taranis wrote: »

i'm not watching a 20 minute youtube video, sorry

fwKS7.png?1
    T
    Taranis wrote: »

i'm not watching a 20 minute youtube video, sorry

TLDW it destroyed Crytek’s only real case and sets a timeline that makes their other cases impossible to prove without more evidence that they would’ve provided by now.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Damn 28 "Chapters" to SQ42? Should be a nice long game hopefully. :)

don't forget! Early backers get a free expansion too! I'm PUMPED about playing it in 2024

:\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited December 2018
    Hardtarget wrote: »

don't forget! Early backers get a free expansion too! I'm PUMPED about playing it in 2024

:\

Only 4 years after beta for an expansion?
    And here I was thinking you weren't an optimist when it comes to SQ42/SC ;-)

Erlkönig on
This discussion has been closed.