As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mueller Investigation] Where there's smock, there's liar.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

This point keeps getting more relevant.
    No offense, but you may be a sociopath. If the FBI wants to interview you, it's possible you're some kind of Big Deal — a politician or a general or a mover and shaker of some description. If you're kind of a big deal, there's a significant possibility you're a sociopath. You really don't know how to tell the truth, except by coincidence. You understand what people mean when they say "tell the truth" but to you it's like someone saying you should smile during the interview. Really? Well, I'll try, I guess, if I remember. You've gotten to be a big deal by doing whatever is necessary and rather routinely lying. It may be difficult for you to focus and remember when you are lying because lying feels the same as telling the truth. If someone shoved me onto a stage and said to me, "look, just hit the high C cleanly during the solo," I could take a real sincere shot at it, but I wouldn't really know what I was doing. If you think you can go into an FBI interview and "just tell the truth," when it's not something you're used to doing, you're deluding yourself. You're not going to learn how in the next five minutes.

spool32 wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    I'm still surprised Mueller hasn't been brought to heel by the Republican National Committee (or some other prominent R group.) He's a Republican right? And aren't they (usually) authoritarians? Why is Mueller still allowed to continue the prosecutions? To keep the masses pacified on the hope of justice?

What jursidiction would they claim? I mean they can revoke his membership of the party, but that's... not going to be a good look. Being a party member doesn't mean you have to quit your job if they dont like it.

Yes, well that's why I added the edit in parenthesis. Any organization with authority that Mueller recognizes in the Republican panoply. Donors, Russian oligarchs, senators, whomever. Republicans fall in line when they're told to, so why hasn't Mueller?

Because the bolded is not axiomatic.

It is close to axiomatic for GOP politicians, and primary voters in the general.

But people who are just members of the party are like any other people. Even if they're more authoritarian than others, that doesn't mean they just follow the party program or whatever when told. There is a difference between thinking authority is important, and thinking one should just blindly follow orders. (And also that is not how political parties in the US work anyway. It's not like a military or something.)

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    I'm still surprised Mueller hasn't been brought to heel by the Republican National Committee (or some other prominent R group.) He's a Republican right? And aren't they (usually) authoritarians? Why is Mueller still allowed to continue the prosecutions? To keep the masses pacified on the hope of justice?

What jursidiction would they claim? I mean they can revoke his membership of the party, but that's... not going to be a good look. Being a party member doesn't mean you have to quit your job if they dont like it.

Yes, well that's why I added the edit in parenthesis. Any organization with authority that Mueller recognizes in the Republican panoply. Donors, Russian oligarchs, senators, whomever. Republicans fall in line when they're told to, so why hasn't Mueller?

Because the bolded is not axiomatic.

It is close to axiomatic for GOP politicians, and primary voters in the general.

But people who are just members of the party are like any other people. Even if they're more authoritarian than others, that doesn't mean they just follow the party program or whatever when told. There is a difference between thinking authority is important, and thinking one should just blindly follow orders. (And also that is not how political parties in the US work anyway. It's not like a military or something.)

This isn't on topic

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    They way trump isn’t mega boned is the combination of

“Collusion isn’t a crime!” (That’s where we are at now... all the fox heads are slowly switching to this talking point)

And “you can’t indict a sitting president!” Which for some dumb reason the left has agreed on based on almost zero things other than some doj suggestion
    The left has not agreed on that. Do not mistake 'the left' with "liberal" nor "Democrat." I promise you we're screaming loudest for him to have the book thrown at him and all his cronies and his family imprisoned deep under the earth, forgotten.

1) The left political spectrum in the US is more than simply your faction. Your faction is not the only part of the left which cares about getting justice for Trump's crimes.

2) Every Democrat in the country agrees with you.

3) The political class has professionalism to deal with, there are rules and procedures to follow which we can't throw out on a whim. These are the restrictions stopping the politicians on the left from doing this in public, not that they don't believe it. They're not "agreeing" with not indicting a sitting president they're following the law. The law is being eroded enough already with the GOP, we don't need two parties rendering the justice system irrelevant.

4) Nancy Pelosi, incoming Speaker of the House (liberal), and Adam Schiff (centrist), who is going to take over the House Intelligence Committee next year will actually be doing something about Trump's admin's crimes within their legal jurisdiction which has political teeth. The time for screaming is over, now is the time for action.

Harry Dresden on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The transcript from Comey's interview has been released. 235 pages long.

https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Comey-interview-transcript-12-7-18_Redacted-1.pdf

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    First 50 or so pages are Gowdy and Ratcliffe tag-teaming Comey over Strozk, Page, HILLARY'S EMAILS. Just badgering, nonstop. Goes nowhere. Comey either says yes, that's a thing that happened, says he doesn't remember or wasn't party to something, or is told not to answer for national security/ongoing investigation reasons.

Then it switches to the Democrats turn and on page 57...
    Mr. Cohen: Mr. Trump has said that the folks that work for him are 12 angry Democrats. Do you know those 12 or so people --

Mr. Comey: I don't.

Mr. Cohen --who they are?

Mr. Comey: I know by name some of them, and I think I've met some of them personally, but I don't know them well.

Mr. Cohen: Do you know if any of them are angry?

Mr. Comey: Not to my knowledge, but I'm sure they're like all normal humans; sometimes they're happy, sometimes they're sad, sometimes they're angry, but I can't comment on that characterization beyond that.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2018
    Page 62
    Mr. Nadler: Now, you may have answered this already, but one specific assertion is that you and Special Counsel Mueller are, quote, "best friends." On September 5th, President Trump brought up Special Counsel Mueller in an interview with The Daily Caller stating, quote: And he's Comey's best friend, and I could give you a hundred pictures of him and Comey hugging and kissing each other. You know he's Comey's best friend, close quote. Are you best friends with Robert Mueller?

Mr. Comey: I am not. I admire the heck out of the man, but I don't know his phone number, I've never been to his house, I don't know his children's names. I think I had a meal once alone with him in a restaurant. I like him. I am not a -- I'm an associate of his who admires him greatly. We're not friends in any social sense.

Mr. Nadler: Thank you. I will not ask whether you've ever hugged and kissed him.

Mr. Comey: A relief to my wife.

Page 63
    Mr. Nadler: On October 17th, the FBI responded to a Freedom of Information Act request for, quote, "photographs of former FBI Director James Comey and Robert Mueller hugging and kissing each other," by saying "no responsive records were located." I assume you're not aware of any such photographs?

Mr. Comey: I'm not aware of any such photograph. I have never hugged or kissed the man. Again, I'm an admirer but not that kind of admirer.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    All “best friends” hug and kiss.

47cmz1ybz20q.jpeg

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Definitely not forcing himself on people "because when you're famous, they have to let you."
    Nope.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ugh

read the whole damn thing

TLDR

Comey: I do not know that to be true
    GOP: eeeeeeeemmmmmmmaaaaaaaiiiiiilllllllllssssss
    Dems: why didn't you tell America you were investigating 4 americans that have a connection between russia and the trump campaign?

for 200+ pages

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    while its infuriating for questions to be wasted on nonsense trump said about comey, there is some sense of small justice that theres an official legal record of trump being a bullshit nonsense clown in such myriad petty ways. Like I want them to go down for their crimes and for the focus to be on the big things, but im also just glad reality gets to go on the record and have its say.

Having it go on record that no, there arent hundreds of photos of them hugging and kissing, and the president is somehow a toddler lying its ass off, is like a small win for the fabric of space time

Prohass on
    edited December 2018
    Page 227
    Mr. Ratcliffe: All right. So I guess as I try and summarize what I've heard today, Hillary Clinton mishandled classified information more than a hundred times. She made false statements about it. The FBI was aware that at least one of her aides also mishandled classified information. And one of the folks employed on behalf of Secretary Clinton intentionally destroyed evidence known to be subject to a congressional subpoena and preservation order and lied to the FBI about it. And on July 5th, 2016, you stood before the American people and said that neither you nor any reasonable prosecutor would bring any charges in this fact pattern. Is that accurate?

Mr. Comey: Yep. I believed it then, I believe it now. And anybody that thinks we were on team Clinton trying to cut her a break is smoking something.

Mr. Ratcliffe: I'll object to everything after "yep" as nonresponsive to my question.

Christ what an asshole.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    Round two is December 17th.

nibXTE7.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Is it not true that you said there was no boogeyman in my closet, but then when you kissed me goodnight and went to bed I did in fact hear creaking from my closet? The kind of creaking a boogeyman makes!!

no further questions dad

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Meanwhile, the Trump Administration does all that on a single typical day.

(Yeah, it's whataboutism, but come the fuck on. IIRC, we've had an email come out showing that Comey himself did it at least once, and I'd bet the same of his questioner and everyone in that room. The hypocrisy, it burns.)

Commander Zoom on
    Xaquin wrote: »
    ugh

TLDR

Dems: why didn't you tell America you were investigating 4 americans that have a connection between russia and the trump campaign?

for 200+ pages

The 4 Americans part is interesting, because in the hearing they noted their identities are still classified, meaning there are still 4 besides Flynn, Paige, Papadopoulos, Manafort etc, that we don't know about.

nibXTE7.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    while its infuriating for questions to be wasted on nonsense trump said about comey, there is some sense of small justice that theres an official legal record of trump being a bullshit nonsense clown in such myriad petty ways. Like I want them to go down for their crimes and for the focus to be on the big things, but im also just glad reality gets to go on the record and have its say.

Having it go on record that no, there arent hundreds of photos of them hugging and kissing, and the president is somehow a toddler lying its ass off, is like a small win for the fabric of space time

I don’t really know what else they could ask him. They know that Comey can’t answer any of the high interest questions they could ask due to the ongoing investigation so might as well use their time to make Trump look silly.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    ugh

TLDR

for 200+ pages

The 4 Americans part is interesting, because in the hearing they noted their identities are still classified, meaning there are still 4 besides Flynn, Paige, Papadopoulos, Manafort etc, that we don't know about.

It could be those 4. Investigations are ongoing, so Comey isn't going to say shit

Fencingsax on
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Page 227
    Mr. Ratcliffe: All right. So I guess as I try and summarize what I've heard today, Hillary Clinton mishandled classified information more than a hundred times. She made false statements about it. The FBI was aware that at least one of her aides also mishandled classified information. And one of the folks employed on behalf of Secretary Clinton intentionally destroyed evidence known to be subject to a congressional subpoena and preservation order and lied to the FBI about it. And on July 5th, 2016, you stood before the American people and said that neither you nor any reasonable prosecutor would bring any charges in this fact pattern. Is that accurate?

Mr. Comey: Yep. I believed it then, I believe it now. And anybody that thinks we were on team Clinton trying to cut her a break is smoking something.

Mr. Ratcliffe: I'll object to everything after "yep" as nonresponsive to my question.

Christ what an asshole.

Please Mr. Comey. We're here for soundbytes to support our absurd delusions. No one is interested in context. Or soundbytes that destroy our assertions.

steam_sig.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    ugh

TLDR

for 200+ pages

Hm

Trump Jr, Eric, Ivanka, and Jared.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ugh

TLDR

for 200+ pages

It could be those 4. Investigations are ongoing, so Comey isn't going to say shit

Yeah the formality of classifications is a lot more complicated than "well the PUBLIC totally knows it's them now so all bets are off"

liEt3nH.png
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ugh

TLDR

for 200+ pages

Yeah the formality of classifications is a lot more complicated than "well the PUBLIC totally knows it's them now so all bets are off"

Page 26 though:
    Mr. Gowdy: And who were those four individuals?

Mr. Comey: I don't think that the Bureau has said that publicly, and so I'm not going to answer that unless it's okay with the government.

It wasn't that "the public already knows", it's that they haven't been disclosed as part of the Russia investigation. The four mentioned by name above, have been, obviously. The FBI's attorney clarifies it:
    Mr. Gowdy: Let me make sure I understand the Bureau's position. The former Director, actually the Director at the time, can confirm publicly that there is a counterintelligence investigation, but he cannot now tell us who that counterintelligence investigation involved?

Ms. Bessee: That is correct.

nibXTE7.png
    You can be publicly prosecuting someone but still not confirm that they're within the scope of your counterintelligence investigation.

That's part of the counterintelligence part.

I'm just saying it's not worth writing fanfiction about the exact four people with Trump in their name that they're investigating off that.

liEt3nH.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Ah, yes. The "it was only debatably illegal!" defense

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rudy Rudy Rudy

Your time will come my friend

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think the most galling thing is how fucking terrible these cretins are at basic things like grammar and sentence structure. Any English teacher I ever had in middle school, were I to hand in a paper with the average skill these clowns demonstrate, would have looked at me as if I had farted on a blank sheet of paper in front of them before turning it in.

It would be one thing if a bunch of brilliant people had been getting away with crimes their whole lives, but these morons have basically had every possible advantage in life and still couldn’t find their ass with a flashlight and both hands. I guess I should be grateful on some level for their sheer ineptitude, because that may be the only reason they’re getting caught, but, as someone who constantly tries to live a moral, upright, and intelligent life, it is frustrating as hell.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Rudy Rudy Rudy

Your time will come my friend

As predicted they've started admitting it was illegal at least. "Just some locker room campaign finance violations guys! To pay off the adult actress I was cheating on my wife with." I can tell we're definitely going to have to have the conversation that paying off mistresses is a legit campaign expense now.

I do enjoy how they apparently think that Friday's document dump is the end of the investigation. Jr.'s hiding in Canada on a hunting trip because he's worried he's going to be indicted...but yeah, definitely this is the end.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    What is tdd being used for in this context

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Ah, yes. The "it was only debatably illegal!" defense
    Settle lawsuits huh? Can't wait to see the court documents that back that shit up!

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Canada would be happy to arrest and extradite him. We've proven that for sure.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trump Derangement Disorder, I presume.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I hope Rudy realizes he's not really helping by implying it was probably illegal.

I think the most galling thing is how fucking terrible these cretins are at basic things like grammar and sentence structure. Any English teacher I ever had in middle school, were I to hand in a paper with the average skill these clowns demonstrate, would have looked at me as if I had farted on a blank sheet of paper in front of them before turning it in.

It would be one thing if a bunch of brilliant people had been getting away with crimes their whole lives, but these morons have basically had every possible advantage in life and still couldn’t find their ass with a flashlight and both hands. I guess I should be grateful on some level for their sheer ineptitude, because that may be the only reason they’re getting caught, but, as someone who constantly tries to live a moral, upright, and intelligent life, it is frustrating as hell.

Not to pick on you but I don't think grammar and sentence structure are particularly good demonstrations of intelligence. I get what you mean but it's probably valuable to divorce the two subjects. It's a bit like when people make fun of Trump for saying "hyuge" and then other people go "Uhhh that's how everyone I know says it". Language and grammar prescriptivism doesn't really recognize or respect differences that arise in dialect based on region and upbringing.

liEt3nH.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

It's not any easier to stomach the other way. When somebody competent does it you end up with Mitch McConnell.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Finishing reading it.

Goodness, Trey Gowdy is a pathetic human being.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I hope Rudy realizes he's not really helping by implying it was probably illegal.

Rudy and Trump basically left an easily exploitable trail of twit-crumbs for judges to say "No, your travel ban is very much targeted at muslims and therefore unconstitutional. " and the supreme court still decided in favor of the President.

Saying dumb things in public means jack shit for Trump and his cronies.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Not to pick on you but I don't think grammar and sentence structure are particularly good demonstrations of intelligence. I get what you mean but it's probably valuable to divorce the two subjects. It's a bit like when people make fun of Trump for saying "hyuge" and then other people go "Uhhh that's how everyone I know says it". Language and grammar prescriptivism doesn't really recognize or respect differences that arise in dialect based on region and upbringing.

Perhaps not, but this isn't random twitter dude #7056.

This is the official twitter of The President of the United States and his lawyer. We expect people in these positions to either care enough to proofread their messages or professional enough to feel that semi-proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is worth it when coming to communicating with not only the US, but also the world.

If I turn in a report or evaluation with a fucking mis-space, it's kicked back. We consider it important because it is a reflection of not only our individual professionalism, but also how much we care about our craft and both the subordinates we evaluate, but the accuracy of our reports. If I can't even spell right, then what else could be wrong in the information in my after action report?

Lastly, this is not normal. Let's not make it normal for some asshole in the White House.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

This is the official twitter of The President of the United States and his lawyer. We expect people in these positions to either care enough to proofread their messages or professional enough to feel that semi-proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is worth it when coming to communicating with not only the US, but also the world.

If I turn in a report or evaluation with a fucking mis-space, it's kicked back. We consider it important because it is a reflection of not only our individual professionalism, but also how much we care about our craft and both the subordinates we evaluate, but the accuracy of our reports. If I can't even spell right, then what else could be wrong in the information in my after action report?

Lastly, this is not normal. Let's not make it normal for some asshole in the White House.

This hinges on a person actually caring about any of that though. And on there being any repercussions for not caring.

These people are clearly sociopaths, and their behaviour is morally repugnant, but I wouldn't take that as a sign of being dumb. It is not dumb not to care, it is just morally indefensible.

As for being dumb, Trump has gotten to the ripe old age of 72 without ever facing real punishment. I would be pretty careless too if I had been swindling people for 50+ years and had never faced repercussions.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

This hinges on a person actually caring about any of that though. And on there being any repercussions for not caring.

These people are clearly sociopaths, and their behaviour is morally repugnant, but I wouldn't take that as a sign of being dumb. It is not dumb not to care, it is just morally indefensible.

As for being dumb, Trump has gotten to the ripe old age of 72 without ever facing real punishment. I would be pretty careless too if I had been swindling people for 50+ years and had never faced repercussions.

This isn't on topic and I'm going to start dinging people soon

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

As a lazy bum, I feel shortchanged.

I wonder if anybody else on his team is at least trying to tell Giuliani to stop talking about whether it's a crime or not.

PLA on
This discussion has been closed.