As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Is there some sort of gently vague onomatopoeia you could relay to us later on? Like, some sort of non-specific noise :P

Oh right in other news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZizDqnz7oY

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Look, I may or may not be learning to blink Morse code for you guys, but that is clearly only step one here...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I got in for PC. Anyone else?

Received an invite, but I'm still deep, deep, deep into FALLOUT 76.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I did!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Received an invite, but I'm still deep, deep, deep into FALLOUT 76.

*begins organizing the intervention*

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular

I did!

I did also. Not sure how much time I’ll get to play it since they have really small specific test windows and I have a busy weekend lined up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    So it turns out I used the wrong Origin account to sign up, so I'm under Hellbore64 if there was some reason we might be wanting to group up in... less than 2 hours

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I got in too.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    in on PC,

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm guessing there's an nda, but are you guys allowed to say if it's any good or fun?

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm guessing there's an nda, but are you guys allowed to say if it's any good or fun?

Only allowed to say theres an Alpha Test and if we're in it.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Did they end the Alpha early? Supposed to be another hour but I've been trying for ten minutes and it just keeps telling me there are no servers available.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Did they end the Alpha early? Supposed to be another hour but I've been trying for ten minutes and it just keeps telling me there are no servers available.

Same here. I wasn’t gonna be able to jump on until 11:00, but I was hoping that’d give me a solid hour. Guess not!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I've heard that there's a cap on the server and trying to get on now is a crapshoot

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I've heard that there's a cap on the server and trying to get on now is a crapshoot

Well that seems dumb.

Right now I can’t even log onto the alpha forums to see what’s up. They won’t even load.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I hope they're not surprised. Public alpha with no repurcussions means shit's gonna leak. At least if you're a journalist, they can ban you from pre-releases as a punishment. The average joe they're not going to sue into the ground.

So uh

Good luck with that

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I hope they're not surprised. Public alpha with no repurcussions means shit's gonna leak. At least if you're a journalist, they can ban you from pre-releases as a punishment. The average joe they're not going to sue into the ground.

So uh

Good luck with that

A dumbass streamer already got his Origin account closed. He owned a bunch of games on there, and now they're gone.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So I can already write the Kotaku headline for this "Bioware in Trouble? Bioware bans fans after disastrous alpha"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

So uh

Good luck with that

A dumbass streamer already got his Origin account closed. He owned a bunch of games on there, and now they're gone.

Well if you're being a dumbass and making it easy to tie yourself to your comments, these things happen.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

So uh

Good luck with that

Well if you're being a dumbass and making it easy to tie yourself to your comments, these things happen.

It's EA...they can build in ways to make it obvious who you are within the game client. Ever watch a Battlefield PTS session stream or YouTube video? They can embed client info into the game overlay (including the player's OriginID).

As an example, here's Jackfrags' Battlefield 1 video showing a PTE build of They Shall Not Pass (note the upper-right corner of the screen at the start of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CXtaTGujY

EDIT - ahh...the relevant bit was that it was a dumbass streamer. Not just being a regular dumbass...but the act of streaming a closed alpha of a game was the dumbass action.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    They can't easily tie you back to comments made on some forum somewhere without going through the effort of having their lawyer sending a nastygram to the forum, having the forum give up your IP address, and then having your ISP get nastygrammed/subpoenaed and giving up your information--unless you have given up corresponding information on the forum. For example, your origin ID.

Basically, if you take even a modicum of care for your information security, you can make it more difficult than it's likely worth for them. If you blast your information out all over the place, don't be surprised if it bites you in the ass.

So, for example, I wouldn't recommend it of anybody in this forum, especially the longstanding members that likely have at some point or another disclosed identifying information that can be easily found out with a search. But there are other venues where that's not a problem. And if you're streaming this shit, AKA flagrantly violating the NDA and being extremely public about it, don't be surprised when that bites you in the ass.

Basically the NDA goes as far as their ability to make your life difficult and their willingness to go to the mat to do so. So carry yourself accordingly.

Orca on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    EA will even flash your account name at different points across the screen as you play the entire time... maybe!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    EA will even flash your account name at different points across the screen as you play the entire time... maybe!

I'm not saying that it's being done in Anthem...I'm saying (and posted a video) of them doing exactly that in other, non-closed test environments for their games.

The moral of the story is: don't be a dumbass and stream (or upload) footage of you playing a closed alpha of a game that has an NDA from E-fuckin'-A.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Or an NDA in general? Like they are there for a reason?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Or an NDA in general? Like they are there for a reason?

That's crazy talk. Like speed limits and those signs saying "Don't commit murder"...they're just polite suggestions.

At least with the Anthem NDA, they let you talk about it after the game comes out. Microsoft is a bit more strict and say you can never talk about what you tested.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I look forward to trying to play in the alpha tomorrow that I am in.

So ends my statement on this matter.

Honestly, I'm hyped, but I'm more hyped for the demo period starting in late January or early February, and the actual release. This might be the first game in ages where I take a day or two off work to play asap and in simply unreasonable amounts.

Edit: heh, the last one I can think of off the top of my head? Mass Effect 3.

Forar on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I doubt they care about forum posts describing the alpha gameplay, or are going looking for posts aside from maybe on reddit

you have to be breaking the NDA pretty aggressively (i.e. streaming live gameplay) for companies to want to burn a sale over it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    At the same time, I have pre-ordered the Legion of Dawn edition (yes, yes, boo hiss, I am part of the problem), and I'm not risking that pre-order on someone happening to stumble across a statement that they deem worthy of dropping the hammer on.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I refuse to preorder anything from EA (and a couple of other publishers), but after giving the alpha a go, I will quite probably pick up Anthem soon after its launch.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    At the same time, I have pre-ordered the Legion of Dawn edition (yes, yes, boo hiss, I am part of the problem), and I'm not risking that pre-order on someone happening to stumble across a statement that they deem worthy of dropping the hammer on.
    I'm not sure I'll pre-order, but the Legion of Dawn edition sounds neat enough that I'll probably grab that when I do buy the game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

So uh

Good luck with that

Ugh, this is why I hate the move of having accounts for everything, and "licensing" your games instead of owning them.

Hopefully he has some recourse to recover his account.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Mortious wrote: »

So uh

Good luck with that

Ugh, this is why I hate the move of having accounts for everything, and "licensing" your games instead of owning them.

It’s also why you read your NDA. I haven’t bothered with the Alpha but I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a clause that basically said ‘don’t stream this alpha or you lose your Origin account’, given the popularity of streaming these days.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

So uh

Good luck with that

It’s also why you read your NDA. I haven’t bothered with the Alpha but I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a clause that basically said ‘don’t stream this alpha or you lose your Origin account’, given the popularity of streaming these days.

There most definitely is a huge clause about that in the NDA. And they reiterated that specific clause multiple times in many emails.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Getting banned on Steam means still having access to your games, you just can't access online features. The same goes for Xbox Live as far as I know.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    A snippet from an Email from EA, titled “Important Reminders before the Anthem Closed Alpha”
    Please remember that everything in this Alpha is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. This means no posting, sharing, or streaming on social media or anywhere else.

They were pretty explicit.

Forar on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Guys, I would love to come in here and make vague statements about the game.

But I can't because I was never able to connect during any of the windows.

So there's my alpha review.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Like I can't believe that people would be dumb
    enough to not read the entire NDA and risk losing access to all their
    games just because
    it gets them
    tons of internet points.

Going into the alpha it was clear that it was an
    old version
    of the game made purely to test the
    durability of the servers.
    Is there some sort of gently vague onomatopoeia you could relay to us later on? Like, some sort of non-specific noise :P

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Like I can't believe that people would be dumb
    enough to not read the entire NDA and risk losing access to all their
    games just because
    it gets them
    tons of internet points.

Going into the alpha it was clear that it was an
    old version
    of the game made purely to test the
    durability of the servers.

My official Alpha review of the Anthem servers: Don't know, never even got to connect to them

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.