As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RAGE 2] appears to be a definite shift in tone from the original

milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky MuckBig Tits TownRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Games and Technology
I actually liked RAGE for what it was, despite all of it's flaws. I even did a video for my very first YouTube channel showing people how to get the Passive Aggressive, Keep 'em Coming, and Bringing Home the Bacon achievements all together in the Mutant Bash on Nightmare difficulty. I thought it was a fun game that had a lot of that old world Id studios charm that I grew up with. Having said that, the game definitely had it's problems and wasn't received particularly well. It was set up for a sequel, but I never expected one to come. BUT THEN THIS HAPPENED.
RAGE 2 is a post-apocalyptic open world first-person shooter in development by Id Software with the help of Avalanche Studios. It was announced by Bethesda Softworks on May 14, 2018 as a sequel to the first hit sci-fi first-person shooter racing game RAGE, released in October of 2011. On May 15, the following day, a Gameplay Trailer was released.

The game is set in 2185, far after the events of the first game, where we play as Walker, one of the last Rangers in the wasteland, which had his home robbed and taken by the Authority, the primary antagonists of the first game, and Walker tears through the Wasteland to seek vengeance and to end the Authority's oppression. Not much is known about the gameplay however, despite the gameplay trailer having been released, but it is clear many elements will be returning, including more heavily customizable Vehicle Combat, Wingsticks, and Mutants, and possibly, wider customization of guns.

RAGE 2 will be available on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the Spring of 2019. It was announced on May 15, 2018 that pre-order bonuses will include a unique mission called "Cult of the Death God", the "Settlers Pistol" from the original RAGE, "Nicholas Raine Armor", and a Monster Truck for use within the game.

Here's the official gameplay trailer. I don't hate it. To be honest, it looks fun. But it's definitely a tonal departure from the original, and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. On the one hand, yeah, they probably did need to change things up because the original went nowhere in particular. But on the other hand, this just looks like a hodge-podge of a million other games. It looks like a different flavor of Borderlands, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgPRE5pak6k

You guys be the judge; what's your opinion?

milk ducks on

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I too was a big fan of the first game and was disappointed when the franchise went nowhere.

This does have a real Borderlands 2 vibe, but the gunplay looks like a good old rock solid id shooter. I'll take it.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'll take it. Honestly, even though it appears at first glance to be a pretty serious departure from the first game (although, maybe it isn't? I just went back and looked through some of my old YouTube content and there are definitely some silly, over-the-top shit. That's not altogether outsided of Id's wheelhouse, you know?), it still looks fun as hell. I'm not seeing much in the trailer about crafting companions and turrets and stuff, though? Making little spider-bot armies was a big part of what I liked about the first Rage. Hopefully, that'll come back.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    https://youtu.be/M7eXH25_KC0

The announcement trailer was also full of color and fun.

I wasn’t that big a fan of the first. I mean I didn’t hate it or anything, just thought it was really plain.

So the sequel has caught my attention.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Axen wrote: »

I wasn’t that big a fan of the first. I mean I didn’t hate it or anything, just thought it was really plain.

So the sequel has caught my attention.

Yeah, this is me as well. The gameplay reveal caught my attention too. Just looks like a less serious, more fun experience. The devs have also confirmed no loot boxes, but Bethesda does want to embrace the "games as a service" model. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still has the potential to lead to annoying BS.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The double jumping and melee attacks and general pace of the gameplay trailer makes it look like they shoved Doom 2016 into Borderlands 2.

I’m totally fine with that.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    New video from the VGAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5qB7E3OZc

Hopefully the sequel scratches my Borderlands itch.

Gotta spend more time with RAGE 1 as I got it recently. That shotgun is love.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Rage 2 looks awesome.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Game Informer has coverage for Rage 2 all month. Apparently the game is strictly singleplayer which is fantastic news! Out in May as well, so it isn't too far off.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Pre orders are up and there's a deluxe edition. Looks like there's a story continuation DLC on the way (hooray!) and it's built in to the Deluxe edition.

The cynic in me says they're shipping an incomplete game and you either pay up front for the full game or later as separate DLC. The optimist in me hopes they're shipping a feature complete game and they're just got started on the DLC early.

Either way it matters not, because the Deluxe edition also lets you get the Doom BFG. Which, you know, kinda guarantees a sale.

I'm disappointed that it's not running on id tech 6 or 7, but Avalanches Apex engine. Apparently because it just does huge open worlds better. But word is id are doing the story and FPC combat (probably why it looks so fast and crunchy like Doom 2016) so I'm happy enough.

Also they're saying this is a 'games as a service' game, but Tim Willits has said there are not going to be loot boxes. Guessing small story DLC's like Assassins Creed Odyssey is getting, plus new vehicles and weapons in a storefront.

• Options
    I'm hearing Rage 2 will be exclusive to Bethesdas launcher. That's sad, I like having all my ID games in one category on Steam.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm hearing Rage 2 will be exclusive to Bethesdas launcher. That's sad, I like having all my ID games in one category on Steam.

Considering all the management problems Bethesda is having there is no way in hell I'd install that thing, let alone give them my personal information. I prefer not to get doxxed by the company I'm trusting my info with. It's a shame too because Rage 2 looks pretty fun.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    GI got some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DHA_ZLuAk

"Barrier is the lamest power."

Screw you, man. It reminds me of BL1's Roland.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    No microtransactions?
    You'll have to wait and see.
    So that's a yes. Not that I mind as long as they build in a grindy progression and shortcut DLC. I mean they're already said it's a game as a service in a way, so MTX were expected.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Considering all the management problems Bethesda is having there is no way in hell I'd install that thing, let alone give them my personal information. I prefer not to get doxxed by the company I'm trusting my info with. It's a shame too because Rage 2 looks pretty fun.

I have no experience with the platform - is a credit card required to register a key? if I don't have to give it a credit card, I'll just buy Rage 2 from Humble and give it a fake name and address. It's not even hard using a separate email address. I'm guessing Doom Eternal is going to wind up an exclusive to their platform too so I might as well accept I'll be using it.

There's some gold answers in that video. 'Did the estate of Rahl Dahl ever approach id about the use of the name BFG?' 'No, but if they did i would tell them where to stick the F'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Hey this comes out in two days!

If you didn’t know that you can be forgiven. Bethesda seems to not want to spend any money promoting the game.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I preordered the Deluxe Edition. WE SHALL SEE.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

If you didn’t know that you can be forgiven. Bethesda seems to not want to spend any money promoting the game.

Tell me about it. I have no idea if it's lack of faith in the game or what. The silence is absolutely eerie.

Didn't Fallout 76 get a big blast of previews just before launch?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The only reason I even found out about the game's release is because I came across a random article talking about how it will have two paid for expansions. One in August and one in November.

I was all, "August? Of this year? Wait, what? The game comes out fucking Tuesday?!"

Also it will have a bunch of free content drops in-between those expansions. Free weapon skins, cosmetics, world events, challenges and even rides.

Everything I've seen on the game so far fills me with excitement. The silence is frustrating though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Tell me about it. I have no idea if it's lack of faith in the game or what. The silence is absolutely eerie.

Didn't Fallout 76 get a big blast of previews just before launch?

Yeah and look how that turned out! Better to just keep everyone in the dark as long as possible.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

just don't let their social media team here you say that...

• Options
    Oh come on! Really?

I'm sighing so hard I'm pretty sure the Jedi can feel it.

• Options
    jfc Bethesda

git gud

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Heh, that was actually my post in the DOOM/QUAKE thread a few days ago, saying "Wait, RAGE 2 comes out next week ? Have they been doing any marketing of this game ?"

• Options
    The article points out things were pretty quiet with Doom (you know, the latest one) too, and it turned out great. Though at least Doom got a multiplayer demo before launch. And Bethesda couldn't shut up about Fallout 76.

Weird.

• Options
    The article points out things were pretty quiet with Doom (you know, the latest one) too, and it turned out great. Though at least Doom got a multiplayer demo before launch. And Bethesda couldn't shut up about Fallout 76.

Weird.

I suppose the marketing budget is for Bethesda made games only. All others need not apply.

I hope Rage 2 is awesome, it looks awesome. If it is indeed awesome I hope it is a real success as I like to see good work rewarded.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I was interested until I found out it's exclusive to the Bethesda digital platform. Whelp, fuck that noise, Bethesda is pretty much the last company I'd ever trust to run a platform like that, much less trust enough for this asshole exclusive shit.

Hard pass on that score alone.

EDIT: Looks like I heard wrong and this is on Steam, hard pass un-hardened.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I'm excited for this because Rage is one of my favorite shooters from last gen. I never thought we'd actually get a sequel to it, while simultaneously being the closest thing we'll probably get to a Mad Max sequel (another game I liked a lot).

• Options

Weird.

I suppose the marketing budget is for Bethesda made games only. All others need not apply.

I hope Rage 2 is awesome, it looks awesome. If it is indeed awesome I hope it is a real success as I like to see good work rewarded.

Oh yeah, I've really got my fingers crossed for it to be good too. Which is what makes this situation weird and unsettling. Especially since Bethesda doesn't seem to have another major game release in the cards for at least a year or more, outside collaboration or no.

• Options
    I was interested until I found out it's exclusive to the Bethesda digital platform. Whelp, fuck that noise, Bethesda is pretty much the last company I'd ever trust to run a platform like that, much less trust enough for this asshole exclusive shit.

I'm confused? I bought it on Steam...

• Options
    Yeah it is on Steam.

About a month or so back Bethesda reversed course on their digital storefront exclusivity. So Rage 2, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, and Doom Eternal will release on Steam on launch day.

Even Fallout 76 will be on Steam soon enough. For what that's worth I suppose.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Drez wrote: »

I'm confused? I bought it on Steam...

Oh, nevermind then, thought I saw in here that it was only on Bethesda's platform?

I'll definitely be taking a closer look at the game then. Saw some videos in the DOOM thread, looks to me like it's a faster Borderlands with a lot less grindiness in killing enemies. More like an open-world DOOM with added whackiness, and I'm definitely on-board with that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I just finished the game I was actively playing so I may fuck around with Rage 1. I literally loaded it once and that was it as far as I remember.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    I don't remember anything. To be honest, I keep confusing it with Bulletstorm and I'm pretty sure they aren't even that alike.

I gotta sort dinner out first but I'll let you know in a few.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    You guys talk about no marketing for this game, but I was in my nearby city the other day and saw Rage 2 posters in hugely prominent positions on bus stops. On both sides of the road. At one of the busiest parts of town for both foot and vehicle traffic.

• Options
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I couldn't get any because I was driving (not that I would have thought to take any even if I wasn't, admittedly). If they're still there next time I go by I'll try to stop and get some.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I've seen plenty of internet advertising on Twitch, Twitter, and Youtube. Gamestores have it prominently featured (GMG, Steam, Gamestop). It's coming out at a dead time of year for games, so should do alright. I predict 4-5 million copies sold over all platforms by year's end. It will get a big bump as soon as embargo ends for reviews/streaming/Youtube on Monday.

As for the change of tone, I couldn't get into Rage 1 at all and Rage 2 is just my style, open-world sandbox mayhem. It's a game you'll play and be done with in 20-30 hours and I am just fine with that.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Rage 1 is like looking at what Borderlands would have been if Gearbox wasn't smart enough to pivot the game away from its original design. Unfortunately id doubled down on that direction instead and we got a forgettable brown-grey experience whose only notable claim to fame is getting John Goodman to voice act.

Rage 2 is like looking at id realizing in the years since that the way to go was the way Gearbox went(over-the-top absurdism) and deciding hey let's follow that route.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing, I love absurdist humor - but it's still pretty funny that you can tangibly see the realignment in studio design philosophy from the time Rage 1 failed and when Doom 2016 took off after narrowly avoiding setting themselves up to fail again.

• Options
    Looks like another Days Gone situation -- zero presence in enthusiast media, but massive advertising otherwise.

Here's hoping the reasoning behind this isn't the same as Days Gone (to cover up for a meh game).