As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] My Better Brexit Deal Goes To Another School

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I think Step 2 is supposed to be "Everyone will be so upset about this that they'll finally unanimously agree to put the right people in charge."

and, well, um, no. that's not how it works. I'm pretty sure that's not how it has ever worked.

Commander Zoom on
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Wrong thread.

TryCatcher on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Press Association reporter:

Just... what the hell.

And perhaps just as bad as this guy is the guy standing next to him wearing an N7 coat. Makes me feel ashamed by association (I wear my N7 hoodie a lot). Do we even need to take N7 back from fascists now? What the hell is wrong with the world?

(I know the guy may not be on the same side. But I hold out little hope.)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Just... what the hell.

And perhaps just as bad as this guy is the guy standing next to him wearing an N7 coat. Makes me feel ashamed by association (I wear my N7 hoodie a lot). Do we even need to take N7 back from fascists now? What the hell is wrong with the world?

It's a videogame thing. So yeah, probably.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's a guy that cheered about working for Cerberus

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    shryke wrote: »

Just... what the hell.

Like that mass shooter (I think it was the synagogue massacre? I hate to say it but it's so easy to lose track) who'd put up the Javik quote on his Twitter. This guy probably thought Javik was right as well.

But then I guess it's not so different than the MRAs and assorted assholes who are so vocal about Star Wars these days, except Mass Effect is not as big.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Just... what the hell.

Like that mass shooter (I think it was the synagogue massacre? I hate to say it but it's so easy to lose track) who'd put up the Javik quote on his Twitter. This guy probably thought Javik was right as well.

But then I guess it's not so different than the MRAs and assorted assholes who are so vocal about Star Wars these days, except Mass Effect is not as big.

The signs were all there before (and the demographics) but Gamergate should have really been a big wakeup call. The "gamer" crowd is a lot of young white men and a large portion of them are, shall we say, not exactly progressive and extremely susceptible to radicalization. And many on the right noticed. But this is getting a bit too tangential from UK politics in general.

Yeah, Steve Bannon famously noted GrumblyGizzards as fertile ground for him and his ilk the moment he saw that happening.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've seen on Twitter placards with "Jo Cox false flag" written on it which belonged to one of the pro Brexit demonstrators.

SharpyVII on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Just... what the hell.

It's about ethics in EU negotiations.

edited December 2018
    BBC TV news, "thousands turned out for the Brexit march, organised by UKIP and featuring Tommy Robinson" (paraphrasing). No mention of the counter protest, that according to at least one source (albeit a Momentum one, so, granted, pinch of salt) outnumbered the pro-Brexit march by five to one.

Jazz on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tommy Robinson eh? That fucking prick

Solar wrote: »

He's now a "special advisor" or some shit for UKIP. Just in case some people didn't hear the dog whistles, I suppose.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You blow on the dog whistle long enough, you don't get to be surprised at the barking.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    BBC TV news, "thousands turned out for the Brexit march, organised by UKIP and featuring Tommy Robinson" (paraphrasing). No mention of the counter protest, that according to at least one source (albeit a Momentum one, so, granted, pinch of salt) outnumbered the pro-Brexit march by five to one.

How much coverage did they give to the counter protest overall? Specifically, how did it compare the time granted to farage and his dozen protesters when 700k were marching in London? I'm willing to bet it was not equal.

edited December 2018
    Speaking of dog whistles, This article caught my eye (despite not having the slightest interest in football):
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849

The short version is that similar actions by two players are reported very differently by newspapers. His Instagram post identifies the paper in question. Go on, guess which one it is.

altid on
    altid wrote: »

How much coverage did they give to the counter protest overall? Specifically, how did it compare the time granted to farage and his dozen protesters when 700k were marching in London? I'm willing to bet it was not equal.

They didn't so much as acknowledge the counter protest's existence.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

He's now a "special advisor" or some shit for UKIP. Just in case some people didn't hear the dog whistles, I suppose.

Reminder that Tommy Robinson isn’t his real name. It’s Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

The fact that he change his name to sound more working class says a lot.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Wow, channel 4 is actually doing a Brexit debate

It's Caroline Lucas(I didn't recognise her until her name popped up, she's not ill or something is she?), Jacob Rees-Mogg (the poor man still can't find a suit jacket that fits) and two miscellaneous people( I assume one from labour and a lib Dems)

It really highlights our current lack of decent politicians

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The unholy fusion of Piers Morgan and Jacob Rees-Mogg?!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Turns out the chap I presumed was a lib dem was actually a second Tory. Best have two I suppose .

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The unholy fusion of Piers Morgan and Jacob Rees-Mogg?!

Darkest timeline.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Turns out the chap I presumed was a lib dem was actually a second Tory. Best have two I suppose .

presumably representing the may deal side vs the mogg side?

obF2Wuw.png
    Norgoth wrote: »

Reminder that Tommy Robinson isn’t his real name. It’s Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

The fact that he change his name to sound more working class says a lot.

And also known previously as Andrew McMaster, Paul Harris and Wayne King.

Also this:
    The name Tommy Robinson is a pseudonym taken from a prominent member of the "Men In Gear" (MIG) football hooligan crew, which follows Luton Town Football Club. The member named Tommy Robinson wrote two books about his 25 years of hooliganism.

Source: Wikipedia.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wayne... King?

Like... wanking?

What a tosspot

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjp5OmoDYQM

Andy Serkis does an awesome Theresa May impression. Protect the preciiiiousss... :lol:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjp5OmoDYQM

Andy Serkis does an awesome Theresa May impression. Protect the preciiiiousss... :lol:

Well. I'm never sleeping again.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Should be a very interesting week ahead in politics - with the vote in parliament it feels like the careening car of Brexit may finally crash.

It sounds as if the vote will almost certainly go against the government - currently it sounds like it will be a tossup between a defeat for the government or the worst defeat for a government in history. From there it will be interesting to see what happens to May - if her deal fails it seems likely to lose her job (though she does a tendency to cling on). Whether she resigns as leader of the tories or as PM will be interesting

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Has anyone else made an indication of wanting to be your PM though?
    I find it hard to think anyone else wants to be in May's shoes until Brexit happens.
    In fact, I wonder what happens if May resigns and no-one takes over. General Election perhaps?

discrider wrote: »
    I find it hard to think anyone else wants to be in May's shoes until Brexit happens.
    In fact, I wonder what happens if May resigns and no-one takes over. General Election perhaps?

Three from May's party only today refused to rule themselves out (at least to varying degrees) of standing for the leadership, if May resigns. Esther McVey, Dominic Raab, and Boris Johnson.

All are awful.

There are probably many more, too. There won't be a shortage of candidates.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, it's official

The EU have said that if we want we could not shoot ourselves in the face

So here comes all the bluster about how shooting ourselves in the face is what the country overwhelmingly backed and that we should all just get on with shooting ourselves in the face

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, it's official

The EU have said that if we want we could not shoot ourselves in the face

So here comes all the bluster about how shooting ourselves in the face is what the country overwhelmingly backed and that we should all just get on with shooting ourselves in the face

Plenty of that in the comments to the above tweet.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular

DAG is a legal writer.

Worse news to wake up to on a Monday.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

European jackboots trying to force sovereign Britain to stay in EU!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You don't have to attack Fort Sumter if you don't really want to

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The court said any revocation must be decided “following a democratic process in accordance with national constitutional requirements”. In the UK, the Supreme Court ruled that a vote of parliament was required to trigger Article 50 in the first place: this condition may apply to revocation.

Seems relevant.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Three from May's party only today refused to rule themselves out (at least to varying degrees) of standing for the leadership, if May resigns. Esther McVey, Dominic Raab, and Boris Johnson.

All are awful.

There are probably many more, too. There won't be a shortage of candidates.

Michael Gove this morning said that he wouldn't put himself forward.

So we can presume Michael Gove is in the running.

While the possibility of unilateral revocation is great news, the immediate (and possibly only) consequence is to have a load of brexiteers telling us how remain voters don't matter again.

This discussion has been closed.