As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War]: 3 Kingdoms is out! Rats and Lizardman fight it out in WH2.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I first learned about the 3 Kingdoms age playing Dynasty Warriors. CA needs to make Lu Bu the most hilariously overpowered duelist I the game. Like Tyrion on horseback with Sunfang and all his buffs popped.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    CA wrote:
    A skilled archer and honest above all else, Taishi Ci always honours his word. Loyal to the end, he will do all that he can to serve his masters well, even if that means endangering his own life. There is no man more trustworthy than the virtuous Taishi Ci.
    Dt0XpfjXcAAL-Nk.jpg

---

I learned all I needed to about 3K from playing Dynasty Warriors, then Rot3K games themselves. (And then watching Ikkitousen and Koihime Musou don't judge meeeeeeee)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I first learned about the 3 Kingdoms age playing Dynasty Warriors. CA needs to make Lu Bu the most hilariously overpowered duelist I the game. Like Tyrion on horseback with Sunfang and all his buffs popped.

If that would be true then he also needs some sort of chronic backstabbing mechanic. 'cause if there was two things that Lu Bu knew, it was how to fight and how to backstab his superiors.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

If that would be true then he also needs some sort of chronic backstabbing mechanic. 'cause if there was two things that Lu Bu knew, it was how to fight and how to backstab his superiors.
    Ideally there would need to be mechanics in place to try and bribe him to turn coat. I feel like they have -something- planned because otherwise I don't see how you actually do some of the things they've advertised with luring other factions' officers over to your side.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-festag-update-beta

Campaign crash fix + Old World Lord skill revamp beta is live

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Would y'all say that CA has grown from a AA studio to a AAA studio? These days they have multiple new games in active development and a bunch of teams working on DLC for existing games. To me that puts them in the AAA space. It's interesting though, now that arena is dead, there just about the only studio in that space to forgo all of the most predatory monetization methods. These aren't cheap games by any stretch of the imagination, but I can honestly say that it's well worth the money. The base games feel like they have $60 worth of content and are a complete experience on their own. The DLC vastly expands upon the base game while still adding flavor and variety for the folks that don't buy it. Alongside all the big paid DLC, we can some free content. There are regular updates and improvements. CA genuinely listens to the community and allows them to help steer the direction of development. Despite their games being ripe for ancillary monetization, there are no loot boxes. No microtransactions. No premium currencies. Just good content for a fair price.

That is frighteningly rare in the AAA development space. I'm glad CA is committed to not being scumbags.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    3wii5x5x66na.jpg

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    uyrp6omlb8wp.png
    The product of a long line of influential nobles, Yuan Shu has established himself as a powerful warlord. Originally known for his courage and valour, Yuan Shu was a great hunter and falconer in his youth, climbing through several government ranks including General of the Household Rapid as a Tiger.

As time progressed, however, he was known more for his ostentatiousness. He was not a great administrator himself, and so relied on commanders such as Sun Jian to oversee his forces.

Yuan Shu was instrumental in fighting back against the corruption of the Han dynasty – and was named General of the Rear by Dong Zhuo himself. However, when Dong Zhuo took over the capital, Yuan Shu established a base at Luoyang and allied himself with a group of other warlords in order to oppose him.

In retaliation for his betrayal, Dong Zhuo killed Yuan Shu’s father, thus also sparking Shu’s ongoing conflict with half-brother Yuan Shao as the two battled to assume leadership of the family in the aftermath.

After he conquered Nanyang, Yuan Shu placed Sun Jian in charge of his army, who then proceeded to repeatedly crush Dong Zhuo’s forces. Yuan Shu, meanwhile, continued to act as hegemon of Nanyang, cementing his reputation as a decadent and extravagant ruler.

Despite this success, following Dong Zhuo’s retreat from the capital Yuan Shu’s animosity towards Yuan Shao grew. Yuan Shu and his ally Gongsun Zan fought Yuan Shao for some time but were ultimately defeated.

Following the death of his envoy Han Yin at the hands of Lü Bu, Yuan Shu launched another large-scale invasion of Xu Province. Unfortunately for Yuan Shu, the attack failed miserably, decimating his army and leaving his opponents to take advantage of this weakness. It was Cao Cao who eventually attacked and destroyed Yuan Shu’s kingdom, with Yuan Shu fleeing to a small village where he later died of illness.
    Yuan Shu’s playstyle is primarily focused on managing his legitimacy and claim to be emperor.

While he can progress through the ranks in the same ways as most factions, he has the unique ability to demand support of his legitimacy. This means that, if another faction leader accepts Yuan Shu’s claim, it will grant Yuan Shu a significant amount of legitimacy.

High levels of legitimacy not only provide higher income but also a large amount of extra prestige, which will accelerate Yuan Shu’s progression through the ranks.

Legitimacy must also be spent on recruiting new characters into Yuan Shu’s faction – without others accepting his legitimacy, Yuan Shu will have trouble finding allies willing to join him.

Aside from legitimacy, Yuan Shu’s other key focus is on commerce and industry. As faction leader, Yuan Shu provides a significant bonus to these income types, so it can be worthwhile to focus on these while he is at the helm.

Characters in Yuan Shu’s faction also have access to a unique assignment that requires some financial investment up front but then provides a significant bonus to income over time.
    ealsggokdvbd.png
    w9az260vmn68.png

Yuan Shu’s starting position is one of great opportunity but also precariousness – his campaign has one of the most difficult starts in the game.

Situated next to the formidable Liu Biao, Yuan Shu’s territory is also within striking range of Dong Zhuo’s forces – who is certainly likely to lash out at Yuan Shu early on. Additionally, to the east lies Cao Cao, an opponent with whom the chance of friction is high.

Surrounded by powerful and ambitious warlords with few allies to hand, playing as Yuan Shu is a very challenging experience that requires initial caution followed by sufficient boldness to carve out a strong position as the campaign progresses.
    d1v019w43v28.png
    Campaign Progression
    Yuan Shu’s overarching aim is to become emperor, but to begin with Yuan Shu must focus on stabilising his power base against Dong Zhuo and Liu Biao while also building an alliance against Yuan Shao.

Ultimately, Yuan Shu will have to dominate the south (in strong opposition to Sun Jian), the east (versus Cao Cao), or the west (against Dong Zhuo and Liu Biao) – and none of these options are easy.

However, the areas surrounding Yuan Shu’s starting position, while not necessarily immediately wealthy, can lead to a strong economy with plenty of commerce and industrial resources as well as farmland if properly turned to his advantage.
    Yuan Shu is for players who want a challenge from start to finish, as well as those enjoy being a scheming powermonger who hustles others into accepting their legitimacy and supremacy.

With the lofty goal of becoming emperor dominating his playstyle, and potential enemies on all sides, Yuan Shu’s campaign requires steely nerves and a careful balance of both caution and decisiveness when the need arises.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    And the single image:
    Yuan Shu believes that only he has the means, and the right to wield true power. The prestigious name of Yuan weighs heavily upon his shoulders, as does the blustering of his half-brother, Yuan Shao. Only by demonstrating his legitimacy can he prove his right to rule.
    DuNfNg3XcAEwVrc.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yea, yuan shu looks like the joffrey of 3K

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    He just Yuan Shu to want him.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

mods????

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

mods????

Who mods the modsmen

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As someone who was teased with their Chinese middle name in grade school, I have mixed feelings about this series of punning around.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Why was the Mongol dynasty called the Yuan?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

Because it was an auspicious name, picked after consulting the greatest I ching masters.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

It has a specific Confucian meaning, the Mongols adopting Chinese style naming conventions was partly Mongolian assimilation, partly co-opting influential Chinese traditions by claiming the mandate of heaven, partly flexing their power.

Anyway point being reign names aren't usually family names.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    As someone who was teased with their Chinese middle name in grade school, I have mixed feelings about this series of punning around.

Sorry! I did worry about that when I made the posts. Thanks for letting me know, I'll refrain in future.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go TIEN XIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA every time I start TW:3K

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Another hefty update coming for Thrones of Britannia:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/the-steel-statecraft-update

Changes to estates and traits amongst other things.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    They've posted a new blog about what the teams are working on.
    The Fantasy team is in a world of their own. It is a dark world, pulled apart by ceaseless conflict, but this is where the magic happens. No more news for now.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-november-2018

Total War: Warcraft?

(As if Blizzard would ever let anyone else touch the IP.)

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Lord of the Rings; please make it so.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Skarsnik campaign continues. My vampire allies from the north have come a loooong way south and taken pressure off of me from the dwarves, leaving me to deal with the Tomb Kings.

Fuck the tomb kings. Jeez, I thought Longbeards with grenade satchels were annoying, but this is OOF. So many large+armored units, and I think the only anti-large I could have is some ork shock cavalry. And I barely get a single turn after destroying an army before another two are rushing the border. Bunch of jerks.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Skarsnik campaign continues. My vampire allies from the north have come a loooong way south and taken pressure off of me from the dwarves, leaving me to deal with the Tomb Kings.

Fuck the tomb kings. Jeez, I thought Longbeards with grenade satchels were annoying, but this is OOF. So many large+armored units, and I think the only anti-large I could have is some ork shock cavalry. And I barely get a single turn after destroying an army before another two are rushing the border. Bunch of jerks.

Ork Big'Uns are anti-large and armor piercing. Savage Orc Big'Uns too, but I don't think Skarsnik can ever recruit those? Regardless if you can get K8P throwing some Big Uns into your army may help some.

• Options

Ork Big'Uns are anti-large and armor piercing. Savage Orc Big'Uns too, but I don't think Skarsnik can ever recruit those? Regardless if you can get K8P throwing some Big Uns into your army may help some.

Big'uns cavalry (and Broken Tusk mob) is probably your best anti-large killer. Large percentage of AP, bonus vs large, good charge bonus. Good mobility too so that you can charge from one end of the battlefield to the other.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Big'uns cavalry (and Broken Tusk mob) is probably your best anti-large killer. Large percentage of AP, bonus vs large, good charge bonus. Good mobility too so that you can charge from one end of the battlefield to the other.

Depending on the armies they are fielding some anti-large line infantry might be a good idea though. SOBUs tear apart cavalry charges and regular big uns aren’t terrible either.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Problem is that Skarsnik doesn't get the regular orc infantry until he takes 8 peaks

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Problem is that Skarsnik doesn't get the regular orc infantry until he takes 8 peaks

But by the time you fight tomb kings you should have it?

• Options

But by the time you fight tomb kings you should have it?

It depends....the way the AI rolls is not always certain

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    The Fantasy team is in a world of their own. It is a dark world, pulled apart by ceaseless conflict, but this is where the magic happens. No more news for now.

Its total war warhammer 3 with a focus on the darklands and possibly chaos wastes.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    ‘Dark world pulled apart by ceaseless conflict’ sounds like the Realm of Chaos. But my guess is the eastern area of the map with Ogre Kingdoms, Hobgoblin Empires and Chaos Dwarves, with some Daemons thrown in. There’s plenty of conflict and darkness there.

• Options
    suulzazpatxd.png
    Gongsun Zan is a military-minded man who sees ruling a state much like commanding an army.

He’s long defended the northern territories against the barbarians along with Liu Yu, however a rivalry formed between them due to their differences in approach. Liu Yu favoured a more lenient policy towards the Wuhuan and Xianbi peoples, while Gongsun Zan’s was far more hardline – he used white horses when dealing with the Wuhuan people as they considered them to be a holy animal and wouldn’t attack him.

In the cacophony of rising chaos, Gongsun Zan is heard like a clarion call above the fray. He stands firm in his beliefs and is unafraid to do what he feels is right. A childhood friend of Liu Bei, Gongsun Zan earned a reputation as a fierce warrior, defending the empire against foreign foes beyond the border. Gongsun Zan rules his lands with the same martial mindset with which he governs his forces – on the dangerous fringes of the empire, military precision in all things must be observed.

Whichever allies he chooses, it remains to be seen whether Gongsun Zan can successfully seize the north and establish a dynastic line strong enough to see him become emperor.
    Gongsun Zan is a traditional military-minded character, and his playstyle reflects this. Focusing on a militaristic approach to empire management, Gongsun Zan doesn’t have access to administrators but instead has his civic matters overseen by the commanding generals of his armies – who also provide bonuses to the commanderies in which they’re stationed.

Gongsun Zan himself provides two important bonuses as a faction leader. The first is a 50% reinforcement range bonus, meaning that his armies are more likely to reinforce each other in all situations. This makes him particularly strong when he’s on the defensive, and synergises well with the civic bonuses gained from his commanding generals.

The second is his shock cavalry, which are more heavily armoured compared with other factions’ and as such much more durable in combat. However, both of these bonuses are specific to Gongsun Zan, meaning that they will both be lost should he fall and be replaced by his heir.

Gongsun Zan’s faction also benefits from the command of the unique white horse archer cavalry, these are the some of the most powerful horse archer units in-game and can be used for a number of potent strategies in battle.
    iwc9gmfs8hes.png

Gongsun Zan grew up with Liu Bei and maintains a good relationship with his former schoolfriend. Furthermore, he also starts out with Zhao Yun under his command, one of the greatest warriors of the three kingdoms period.

However, although rich in friends he has no children of his own, and so ensuring that he has a strong line of succession in place is an important part of Gongsun Zan’s dynastic strategy.
    bbacootjzv7h.png

Gongsun Zan’s starting position in Youbeiping Commandery is relatively secure. It can easily be turned into a stronghold – but breaking out of is no mean feat.

Your rival Liu Yu is to the west, posing a significant threat. It falls to you, Defender of the North, to defeat him and win control of the surrounding areas – you need to unify the North before the chaos overtakes it.

Meanwhile, your other neighbour Yuan Shao grows ever more powerful, and conflict with him is almost inevitable – unless you can find a way to negotiate with him and Han Fu and turn a historical enemy into an ally.
    z6t5ddrktjdh.png

There is a conflict brewing between Gongsun Zan and the neighbouring Liu Yu, who adopted a very different and more lenient strategy when dealing with the Wuhuan and Xianbi peoples. Liu Yu is also supported by Dong Zhuo, and Gongsun Zan is resentful about Liu Yu’s success.

Additionally, Yuan Shao is asking for aid against Han Fu, meaning you can choose to channel your resources towards this conflict in an attempt to appease to him.

On which of these two conflicts will you focus, and where will you direct your resources?
    Gongsun Zan’s initial focus should be securing a stronghold in the north. This could incorporate securing an alliance with Gongsun Du, but it also might be more efficient to subjugate Gongsun Du and dominate the area entirely.

This could also be your opportunity to take out your rival Liu Yu and lay claim to the Han empire region.

Once this stronghold is established, your progression will inevitably lead west – where conflict with Yuan Shao is very likely. As such, it might be wise to find allies beyond Yuan Shao’s realm – such as his half-brother Yuan Shu, the cunning Cao Cao, or even the bandits in the mountains Zhang Yan or Zheng Jiang.

Finally, Gongsun Zan must move to secure the north and the ultimate goal of becoming emperor.
    Gongsun Zan is the choice of expert militarists – he is a warrior without fear or restraint, but also a defensive master when the situation requires it. Bravery is his calling card, and if there’s an obstacle he has to conquer, you’d better hope he’s on your side.

• Options
    Looks like you won't be able to start as Dong Huo-whatever his name is (or Lu Bu)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Total War of the Five Rings, plz.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Cantido wrote: »

Total War of theFive Rings Silmarillion, plz.

Kruite on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I wish. Not even mods of that have ever worked out.

• Options
    Looks like you won't be able to start as Dong Huo-whatever his name is (or Lu Bu)

Once we learned of the Han Empire faction and that they acted as Vassal to him from the start, Dong Zhuo became very unlikely.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Total War: Third Age was a pretty awesome mod. :)

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular

Once we learned of the Han Empire faction and that they acted as Vassal to him from the start, Dong Zhuo became very unlikely.

There are several examples from earlier Total War games where you play as a vassal, maybe that is the case here as well.

• Options
    Gongsun Zan is heard like a clarion call above the chaos. He stands firm in his beliefs and is unafraid to do what he feels to be right. As defender of the dangerous fringes of the empire, Gongsun Zan believes that military precision must be observed in all things.
    Dun6ZyQX4AEpwMq.jpg

---

Zhao Yun hypeeeeeeee, fucking finally

XNnw6Gk.jpg
This discussion has been closed.