As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulslike]s die way more than twice

KarozKaroz Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Games and Technology
Welcome traveler. Here we lost Souls gather to test ourselves in combat against often oppressive, but fair, odds. Whether looking for a solo adventure, victims to feast upon, or jolly cooperation, all lost Souls can find a land appropriate to their calling.

*cough* Ahem, sorry for the bit of roleplay.
While this genre may have been pioneered by the Soulsborne series (thread), there is more than enough room for newcomers to take their own spin on the purposeful combat that we have come to know and love. Some are good, some are bad, and some are just really different.

Feel free to discuss any Soulslike games here, but links to specific threads follows:

Links to Soulslike Game Threads:
Ashen
Code Vein
Darksiders
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Lords of the Fallen
Nioh
Salt and Sanctuary
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

New Release(s):

8cq19eg92kst.jpg

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Thread

Released Soulslike games (alphabetical order):

hmxdbjn1u0kf.jpg

Absolver

Absolver is an online multiplayer combat game where players are placed behind the mask of a Prospect under control of the Guides, the new rulers of the fallen Adal Empire, who will determine your worth in joining their elite corps of Absolvers.

More Released Soulslike games (alphabetical order):
uha8jn79sb88.jpg

Ashen

Ashen is an action RPG about a wanderer in search of a place to call home. This is a world where nothing lasts, no matter how tightly you cling to it. At its core, Ashen is about forging relationships. Players can guide those they trust to their camp - together, you might just stand a chance.

Ashen Thread

t3i5sxm28k63.jpg

Darksiders 3

Return to an apocalyptic Earth in Darksiders III, a hack-n-slash Action Adventure where players assume the role of FURY in her quest to hunt down and dispose of the Seven Deadly Sins. The most enigmatic of the Four Horsemen, FURY must bring balance to the forces that now ravage Earth.

Darksiders Thread

2c7ukam8hdql.jpg

Death's Gambit

Death's Gambit is a challenging 2D action platformer with deep RPG elements. As an agent of Death bound to his service, unravel the mystery of Siradon and discover the true price of immortality.

erz3tugez40l.jpg

Dead Cells

Dead Cells is a rogue-lite, metroidvania inspired, action-platformer. You'll explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle... assuming you’re able to fight your way past its keepers in 2D souls-lite combat. No checkpoints. Kill, die, learn, repeat.

Dead Cells Thread

qsn13asqzz8b.jpg

Gloom

Afflicted by severe amnesia, you drift deep into the Common Dream. You scour for the lost pages of the Necronomicon, while clinging on to any little purpose you have left. Faced with mad dreamers, horrible abominations and eldritch deities, you feel drawn to the dark Abyss deep within.

ofptl7143ag8.jpg

Hollow Knight

Forge your own path in Hollow Knight! An epic action adventure through a vast ruined kingdom of insects and heroes. Explore twisting caverns, battle tainted creatures and befriend bizarre bugs, all in a classic, hand-drawn 2D style.

Hollow Knight thread

0r88k4m60olw.jpg

Immortal: Unchained

Unleashed and unforgiving. Can you rise to the challenge? Immortal: Unchained is the latest addition to the genre of ultra-hardcore action RPGs. Take the role of a living weapon, unleashed to stop the source of a cataclysmic event threatening to end all worlds.

s32f4x2yeyo1.jpg

Let it Die

In the year 2026 AD, a large tectonic disturbance caused mass destruction around the world.

In the midst of the destruction, South Western Tokyo split off into the ocean where the seismic activity caused a large spire to rise out of the ocean piercing the island creating a tower-like structure deemed holy by some.

Under the watchful eye of Uncle Death, madness has spread across the world...
Senpai! I was waiting for you!
My name is Uncle Death, and I have a feeling we’re going to get along just fine...

Your task is simple, get to the top of the tower.

a67bclq8967s.jpg

Lords of the Fallen

The Demonic Rhogar army is re-emerging from its dark realm. Harkyn, a convicted criminal rejected by society is the world’s last hope for salvation. Plunge into a fast paced action RPG using powerful magic alongside a complex and satisfying melee combat system.

Lords of the Fallen Thread

5wk6w0tkcn8u.jpg

Necropolis

NECROPOLIS: BRUTAL EDITION is a major update featuring a new playable adventurer (The Brute), a completely new outdoor environment (The Black Forest), and lots of new enemies, weapons, armor, traps, potions, scrolls, and other big improvements to the game.

za76ku0acy3t.jpg

Mana Spark

A challenging action RPG with deep souls-like combat and rogue-like elements. Explore a dreadful dungeon and fight smart enemies that will plan and collaborate between themselves to defeat you.

4c0jzfghzfd6.jpg

Nioh

Ready to die? Experience the newest brutal action game from Team NINJA and Koei Tecmo Games. In the age of samurai, a lone traveler lands on the shores of Japan. He must fight his way through the vicious warriors and supernatural Yokai that infest the land in order to find that which he seeks.

Nioh thread

3a9txb7p15wi.jpg

Pharaonic

Embark on a journey of exploration and violence in the Two Lands of Egypt with Pharaonic! This unforgiving Combat RPG features an streamlined and challenging combat system that will keep you on your toes while fighting for your life!

cggg5eo8y5g3.jpg

Salt and Sanctuary

Explore a haunting, punishing island in this stylized 2D action RPG. Salt and Sanctuary combines fast and brutal 2D combat with richly developed RPG mechanics in a cursed realm of forgotten cities, blood-soaked dungeons, and desecrated monuments.

Salt and Sanctuary thread

8cq19eg92kst.jpg

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Carve your own clever path to vengeance in an all-new adventure from developer FromSoftware, creators of Bloodborne and the Dark Souls series. Take Revenge. Restore your honor. Kill Ingeniously.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Thread

lccppw8d5xvc.jpg

SINNER: Sacrifice for Redemption

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption is a boss battler action-RPG. Face eight abhorrent bosses, the first seven each based on one of the deadly sins. Before each epic clash, you must sacrifice a stat and level down to enter combat. Each fight will be tougher than the last as you wage war against sin itself.

3f3rzb9eqf6n.jpg

Sundered

Sundered is a chaotic hand­-drawn metroidvania where you resist or embrace ancient eldritch powers, a challenging and unique take on a classic genre from the creators of Jotun, now with local co-op!

zvf3bkzs075m.jpg

The Surge

Welcome to CREO, the megacorporation saving the world! A catastrophic event has knocked you out during the first day on the job… you wake up equipped with a heavy-grade exoskeleton, in a destroyed section of the complex.

ipeknjv3qazr.jpg

Titan Souls

Between our world and the world beyond lie the Titan Souls, the spiritual source and sum of all living things. Now scattered amongst the ruins and guarded by the idle titans charged with their care, a solitary hero armed with but a single arrow is once again assembling shards of the Titan Soul in a quest for truth and power.

bn7by5k6takc.jpg

Void Memory

You, who was born in a world full of darkness, should wander this hollowed land to find the Relics for a person who created you. However, fallen and lost souls with trap-filled trials await in your course of doing so. Can you survive in this crumbling world and start a new era?

Upcoming Soulslike Games (alphabetical order):

h06j2m57mtg0.jpg

dy784hjyr9z9.jpg

Blasphemous

Journey through a nightmarish universe full of hellish, bloodthirsty creatures. Exploration, intense combat and a very twisted religious world awaits you in this action platformer, by the studio that brought you The Last Door.

More upcoming Soulslikes (alphabetical order):
h06j2m57mtg0.jpg

Code Vein

In the not too distant future, a mysterious disaster has brought collapse to the world as we know it. Towering skyscrapers, once symbols of prosperity, are now lifeless graves of humanity’s past pierced by the Thorns of Judgment. At the center of the destruction lies a hidden society of Revenants called Vein. This final stronghold is where the remaining few fight to survive, blessed with Gifts of power in exchange for their memories and a thirst for blood. Give into the bloodlust fully and risk becoming one of the Lost, fiendish ghouls devoid of any remaining humanity. Wandering aimlessly in search of blood, the Lost will stop at nothing to satisfy their hunger. Team up and embark on a journey to the ends of hell to unlock your past and escape your living nightmare in CODE VEIN.

Code Vein Thread

7z0fvqn6nijs.jpg

EITR

Eitr is an action RPG built around exceptional combat and formidable challenges set within a mythological Norse world.

lvpj4h1vy5el.jpg

Hellpoint

Hellpoint is a dark sci fi action RPG set in the aftermath of a massive quantum cataclysm.

0p7tu3kisczw.jpg

Nioh 2
(currently no actual site, links to Polygon article)

f3ryx6fbg177.jpg

The Surge 2

After the success of The Surge, the hardcore Action RPG released in May 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, Focus Home Interactive and Deck 13 are happy to announce the renewal of their partnership and the development of The Surge 2, with a release date planned for 2019 on consoles and PC.

The Surge 2 keeps what fans and critics loved about the original – hardcore combat utilizing a unique, dynamic limb targeting system and deep character progression – while also expanding greatly upon the formula. The Surge 2 takes place in a brand new environment: a sprawling, devastated city with larger and more ambitious level design, made possible by Deck13’s upgraded and improved engine.

Combat is more brutal and tactical than ever, with even more options thanks to an expanded limb targeting system. In addition, more abilities, weapons, implants, and drones give players a vast arsenal to build their character with, in their fight against the array of diverse new enemies and bosses.

The Surge 2 will release on consoles and PC in 2019.

The (Potential) Souls Precursors (alphabetical order):

u1slnszmgxhs.jpg

Ninja Gaiden Black

Ninja Gaiden, the critically acclaimed cut-and-slash action game, took the action genre by storm with its unique and innovative gameplay, killer story, and mind-blowing graphics.

More (Potential) Souls Precursors (alphabetical order):

9b4dgsb9jgzb.jpg

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

As Raziel, stalk the shadows of Nosgoth preying upon your former vampire brethren in your quest to destroy your creator- Kain. After being betrayed and executed by Kain, return to Nosgoth on an epic mission of revenge. A milestone in 3D adventure.

Have a Soulslike not in the OP/doesn't belong in the OP or has a specific thread that needs linking? Give me an @ and I'll be sure to act.

Karoz on

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'll just repost this from the Dark Souls thread.

Ashen is a good dark souls with a lot of quality of life improvements like a jump button and a map and a quest log. I also like the aesthetic a lot, it's got a lot of style. Its world is more spread out than condensed and looping back on itself, more like Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls 1.

And it's hard as shit at some points if that's important to people.

Also no pvp, only co op. I haven't actually done any multiplayer but this was the final thing that convinced me to get the game.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm excited about the crop of true soulslikes on the horizon. As much as I enjoy the souls influenced metroidvanias, they don't hit the same spot from r me.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'm excited about the crop of true soulslikes on the horizon. As much as I enjoy the souls influenced metroidvanias, they don't hit the same spot from r me.

Would you give some examples? I'm always hungry for more.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    In 2019 we have a few sequels/followups to successful entries: Nioh 2, The Surge 2, Sekiro (does it count as a Soulslike, when it's FromSoft's offering for the year?).

We've also got Code Vein coming out, and...something I saw an ad for recently and can't remember. Plus a few indie things that look promising but I forget because they may never come out.

We also have Ashen just released, which is apparently quite good.

Maybe doesn't seem like a lot, but compare that to what we've received in all the years prior combined: Nioh, Lords of the Fallen (meh), The Surge, Immortal: Unchained (trash fire, I hear). GoW 2018 and Let It Die if you wanna stretch the definition.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I'd keep Sekiro and other FROM games in the Soulsborne thread just since that is their main purpose and this thread is more about the offshoots.

Feel free to talk about any of the Soulsborne games in comparison to Soulslike games here but if just discussing Soulsborne games I would take it back to the Soulsborne thread.

Karoz on
  • Options
    I'm not very fond of Death's Gambit, honestly. It controls ok but the combat seems harder than it should be, plus enemies usually have way more health than seems fair. Just some weird balance stuff.

Also it starts you in media res then slowly expands the backstory and goals as you go, but in a way that I find to be rather incomprehensible. It doesn't help that they choose to have these flashbacks after you die, which means a lot of the time i'm fighting a boss and I die and instead of getting right back to it I have to sit through this story I don't understand and thus don't care about.

I'm about halfway through, maybe? Four hours? Not sure i'll bother with the rest.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Why do people call Dead Cells a soulslike? The only real similarity is that it has a sweet dodge roll, otherwise it's just a very good action platformer roguelike.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It was definitely a love-hate relationship with Death's Gambit. I enjoyed it enough but I never felt like the combat really clicked unless they rebalanced stamina.

I ended up beating it and liking enough but I didn't do any extra stuff.
    Why do people call Dead Cells a soulslike? The only real similarity is that it has a sweet dodge roll, otherwise it's just a very good action platformer roguelike.

By its own description describes it as a souls-lite. I'm happy to have people agree it doesn't belong and I'll remove it.

Karoz on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Has anyone here actually played Immortal: Unchained? I didn't even realize it was already out--and poorly reviewed--until I was putting together my post about upcoming games earlier.

Edit: To be honest, when I think of Souls combat I think of spacing/footsies. Which is tricky to do when you decide to make guns your primary weapon.

Kamar on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am pretty excited about Nioh and Surge 2. They were both pretty good takes on the genre and with a little polish could be as good as the progenitor.

I think Dead Cells combines the typical rogue stuff, with the story building done through the environment directly and through clues that is typical of the souls genre. You can see the influence in the bleakness of the setting as well, and the fact that the game takes place directly after some sort of catastrophe. It is also incredibly fun.

I am probably going to try and pick up more of the games in the genre now that from does not have a dark souls on the immediate horizon.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Oh one thing that should be noted about Ashen.

It's a Dark Souls where the world is recovering and hopeful, that you're building up from the rubble and helping to make stable. That alone makes it stand out from the genre.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

It's a Dark Souls where the world is recovering and hopeful, that you're building up from the rubble and helping to make stable. That alone makes it stand out from the genre.

This.

This this this.

I think that's the main reason why I've stuck with Ashen for so long, I actually give a damn about what's going on.

Whereas in the Souls games I just burn out and stop caring.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I hope Nioh 2 can successfully cut away some of the weird MMO detritus that the first game carried through from being in 10-year Development Hell.

• Options
    Whew, okay I think I've added in all the games that at least I know about though Nioh 2 doesn't have an actual site or info to link to.

Any additions just be sure to @ me.

With how much fun I've had with Nioh (gee how can you tell) I can only imagine how much fun I'll have with 2.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm very interested in Ashen. Interesting that it's on gamepass but not playanywhere for PC yet. People seem to be digging it still?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm very interested in Ashen. Interesting that it's on gamepass but not playanywhere for PC yet. People seem to be digging it still?

It can actually be bought on Epic's game store for PC.

Seems to be getting good reviews and clocks in at 20 hours. I haven't tried it myself though.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Karoz wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It can actually be bought on Epic's game store for PC.

Seems to be getting good reviews and clocks in at 20 hours. I haven't tried it myself though.

Yeah epic has the PC exclusive for the time being. Xbox's "PlayAnywhere" thing lets you play games from gamepass on PC or Xbox (and is cheaper than buying the whole game)

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I got a stick and piece of bark vaguely resembling a sword and shield and sunny d for days.

Hurt me plenty.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Glad The Surge is getting a sequel, I completed that recently and really enjoyed it. Probably moreso than other soulslike games because it was sci-fi oriented while the rest of the genre steadfastly refuses to venture outside of the medieval era.

I did have a few issues with it though such as some fairly disappointing boss battles outside of PAX and SISTER, and being bad at explaining certain mechanics in a way that's not merely "dark souls obtuse", but just dumb - like not really telling you what modifiers stack and what don't so you're not wasting your time trying to find out. Hopefully those are touched up a bit in the sequel, but otherwise I think I liked it enough to want to play an NG+ run in the near future.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Glad The Surge is getting a sequel, I completed that recently and really enjoyed it. Probably moreso than other soulslike games because it was sci-fi oriented while the rest of the genre steadfastly refuses to venture outside of the medieval era.

I did have a few issues with it though such as some fairly disappointing boss battles outside of PAX and SISTER, and being bad at explaining certain mechanics in a way that's not merely "dark souls obtuse", but just dumb - like not really telling you what modifiers stack and what don't so you're not wasting your time trying to find out. Hopefully those are touched up a bit in the sequel, but otherwise I think I liked it enough to want to play an NG+ run in the near future.

I did a ng+ or maybe ++ to get the platinum, and the game handles scaling in a pretty good way. There are still 5 tiers of upgrade materials that drop as you progress, new tiers of mods, and you get increased frame capacity as well. When you start a higher level it just increases the tiers again. I am not sure how high it will scale, but all of the soulsborne games just stop at ng+8 so if it hits that high it would be in tradition.

• Options
    Just got an Anor Londo-ass vista reveal in Ashen and yeah they definitely knew what they were doing.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Is Darksiders III more of a Soulslike than it's predecessors?

I know the earlier ones were more in the inconsistently named character action/spectacle fighter/stylish action/hackNslash2.0/whatever genre like DMC and most Platinum games.

Though the two genres have some overlap anyway.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I have not played it myself but it certainly cribs a lot more from Dark Souls. When you die you lose your souls unless you bank them with Vulgrim. There is less healing options and the Damage taken can be quite severe.

Karoz on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The combat system in Darksiders 3 definitely leans heavily towards the kind of "even basic enemies can wreck you up if you don't dodge their attacks" style that Souls game are all about. You also get what's basically an estus flask as your main healing item.

Beyond that, I'd liken it more to Soul Reaver. Which begs the question, where does Soul Reaver stand on the Souls spectrum?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Hmm well precursor I guess but it had a lot more action combat you could flail around a lot with good results and as long as you were killing dudes you had plentiful healing.

Still one of my all time favorite video game stories though.

Kinda cool to think of it being the prototype for the genre though.

Karoz on
  • Options
    I've never played Soul Reaver, but I've seen it referred to as a Soulslike predating Souls, so.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Is Darksiders III more of a Soulslike than it's predecessors?

I know the earlier ones were more in the inconsistently named character action/spectacle fighter/stylish action/hackNslash2.0/whatever genre like DMC and most Platinum games.

Though the two genres have some overlap anyway.

Extremely more so.

• Options
    Just finished Nioh's DLC, game was just so rad overall.

Couple BS deaths and repeating old levels could get a little tedious but overall just a really fun game.

Ended up clocking in 99 hours, a lot of it doing coop with other players just because how easy and rewarding it was to do so.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

This.

This this this.

I think that's the main reason why I've stuck with Ashen for so long, I actually give a damn about what's going on.

Whereas in the Souls games I just burn out and stop caring.

Ah another crestfallen knight.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

Couple BS deaths and repeating old levels could get a little tedious but overall just a really fun game.

Ended up clocking in 99 hours, a lot of it doing coop with other players just because how easy and rewarding it was to do so.

Did you replay all the levels on the harder difficulties? Without that are the dlcs big enough to warrant a purchase? I have seen the season pass on sale a few times but was not sure just how worth it the content was.

• Options
    furlion wrote: »

Did you replay all the levels on the harder difficulties? Without that are the dlcs big enough to warrant a purchase? I have seen the season pass on sale a few times but was not sure just how worth it the content was.

I have not but that's because I'm kind of a wimp and found the normal difficulty difficult enough for my squishy mage (and I was abusing my magic like all get out). Also I rarely do things like NG+ though the loot grind was surprisingly compelling as I had three different armor sets that I was looking to complete. Settled on the Red Demon since it was the easiest and I am a major spear user.

IIRC the DLC does add different maps for the main missions and they can be loooooong. Side missions are a mix of the new main level and old level repeats.

Also, I know my play time was heavily boosted by doing a lot of coop. I just love sunbroing so much.
    d2rezuc7rfcn.png

• Options
    Ashen just got a patch on PC, they say it fixes the multiplayer issues. The issue being that multiplayer didn't work. Will be interested to see how all that is implemented, if it's true.

• Options
    With weapons in Ashen being limited in type to 'axe or blunt object', I really wish they spelled out more details in the menu like attack speed, move set, etc. Since it's a pain to compare two near-identical-on-paper items as is.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Decided to launch Nioh and replay some of the early levels before taking a crack at the DLC. I haven’t touched it since finishing it in January.

I have no idea what I’m doing. This may come with a little ramp-up time.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I loved The Surge and have played a bit of Nioh but have not finished it. The Surge really scratched my Soulsborne itch, Nioh less so.

Hellpoint looks like it might be right up my alley. I like the idea that things can change based on the location of the black hole; hopefully it's at least a little bit random.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I gave up and youtubed the last boss of Death's Gambit, but make no mistake: I was fully satisfied with the game and don't regret purcahsing it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The Surge is good Souls gameplay, much better than Lords of the Fallen. The combat is still weirdly paced, like LotF, but since you're wearing a power loader it doesn't feel wrong like LotF-man moving in slow motion.

I still hit the credits on LotF and enjoyed it, mind. But it's also the only one of these games I've uninstalled.

Nioh was a good game, but I didn't get my Soulsborne fix from it past the beginning. I didn't like the mission format, especially with how environments repeated not just within a single physical location, like you'd expect, but across the entire game.

I must have dropped the game and picked it back up six or seven times before I hit the credits, and I still have all the DLC waiting (though apparently each is tuned with the assumption that you did a NG+ while you waited for the next DLC to drop?).

On the subject of Ashen, Seat of the Matriarch might be the most overtuned main progression dungeon in all of gaming. At least the huge shortcut makes it manageable, if still hard as fuck.

Kamar on
  • Options
    I did not do a new game plus in nioh before tackling the DLC. That might be because Mages are totally overpowered but they did tweak some of the DLC to make it less of a curb stomp for me.

But I did do a stupid amount of jolly cooperation before finishing the main game and more during the DLC so that may have been a good substitute.

• Options
    Getting a strong Soulslike vibe from the just released game Below

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5extZolV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyNewzxKDIo

• Options
    I'm really not a fan of super zoomed out games. Seems like they're more common, recently, too.

This discussion has been closed.