As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So looking up Jarhead on Wikipedia... Seems like it turned into a Franchise with a Jarhead 2,3 and a 4 on the way. None of which are based on a true story.

Direct to Video of course.

Yet Dredd still has not gotten a single sequel.

World sucks some times.

It may be getting a tv series. *crosses fingers*

https://www.cbr.com/karl-urban-dredd-mega-city-one/
    “I’m not attached to it, although I did have a preliminary round of conversations with them," said Urban. "I am interested in doing it. There are a lot of great stories to tell there… their idea for Mega-City One is basically to build the show around more rookie judges and young, new judges and Dredd would come in and out and I said that I’ll do it, but it has to be done in a meaningful way.”

Mega-City One is currently being shopped around to a number of networks, including Amazon and Netflix.

Hopefully they can get back Urban and Thirlby.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So looking up Jarhead on Wikipedia... Seems like it turned into a Franchise with a Jarhead 2,3 and a 4 on the way. None of which are based on a true story.

Direct to Video of course.

Yet Dredd still has not gotten a single sequel.

World sucks some times.

It may be getting a tv series. *crosses fingers*

https://www.cbr.com/karl-urban-dredd-mega-city-one/
    “I’m not attached to it, although I did have a preliminary round of conversations with them," said Urban. "I am interested in doing it. There are a lot of great stories to tell there… their idea for Mega-City One is basically to build the show around more rookie judges and young, new judges and Dredd would come in and out and I said that I’ll do it, but it has to be done in a meaningful way.”

Mega-City One is currently being shopped around to a number of networks, including Amazon and Netflix.

Hopefully they can get back Urban and Thirlby.
    Toss in a cameo by Michael Ealy, and I'm good.

sig.gif
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Into the Spiderverse is shockingly good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Into the Spiderverse is b48e5c1p4ctf.jpgly good

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Are you shocked that it's good, or shocked at how good it is?

Because the trailers make it look pretty fantastic, and I've heard nothing but positive buzz, so at this point I'd be more shocked if i didn't like it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Are you shocked that it's good, or shocked at how good it is?

Because the trailers make it look pretty fantastic, and I've heard nothing but positive buzz, so at this point I'd be more shocked if i didn't like it.

We went into it with high hopes because the trailers look good and its getting good reviews but man, its just fantastic all around, beyond expectations. The trailers don't give you a clue what you're in for visually.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Honestly, he makes me want to see it.
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Okay but tell me about when they flip upside down to take a Polaroid

Fantastic movie poster for reference:

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Oh hey, there's a sneak preview showing of Spiderverse today at 2. Even better Moviepass as 2 different movies I could check into before I buy my ticket. Finally the blackout has ended. That was a rough couple of months.

This may end up being a bad idea. It just started snowing and this theater is a half hour from home.

So hey, Bohemian Rhapsody.

On the one hand, it plays like someone threw every rockstar biopic ever made into a blender and then boiled the slurry until all the flavor was gone.

On the other hand, it has a lot of Queen music and Rami Malek's prosthetic teeth turn in an Oscar-worthy performance.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited December 2018
    Oh good, now I don't have to triple post.

Luckily the movie wasn't long and being a sneak preview, there were no trailers before the movie. The snow hadn't quite started sticking by the time I got out of the movie and I made it home safe. Spider Verse was really fucking good. Easily the most imaginative take on Spiderman ever put to film. I seriously wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I've been a fan of Spidey since I was a kid. I grew up watching the 90s cartoon. My teens saw the 3 Raimi movies. As an adult I really like Homecoming for how down to earth and "small" the movie was. Nothing about this movie, especially Kingpin (AKA Slab Bulkhead) was small. It was like they perfectly blended a high concept, big budget version of the 90s Spiderman show with a 90s hip hop video. I absolutely loved the character design. The photo realistic scenery felt a little out of place at times but that's a real small nit to pick. I loved how the movie blended together so many different art styles to flesh out the characters and world.

Given the marketing, Spider Verse was definitely targeting children. I honestly think though, they had more there for the adults in the audience than the kids. The movie was filled with delightful jokes and references to Spiderman history and lore that would probably just sail right over most kid's heads. Aside from the "I love you dad" scene the move makes it a point never to talk down the the kids in the audience. It dealt with the heavy themes while still managing to be a lighthearted romp through Spiderman lore. I wasn't expecting to laugh out loud as much as I did. There was a father of 4 sitting next to me who clearly was as big of a fan as I was. There were a couple of other families there but the theater was basically empty. I think the impending snowpocalypse kept most people home. Anyway, we made our own laugh track. We were in stitches throughout the entire movie. The jewel on the crown was that post credit scene. The adults that stayed were roaring in our seats with laughter. It might have been the greatest thing I have ever seen put to film.

That_Guy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Someone here mentioned that Happy Death Day was a fun movie and so I went out and bought the Blu-ray... And they were absolutely right. It was a lot of fun! I highly recommend it!

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Crazy Thunder Road

xfnhaa23lco9.png

Man, what energy. Can't say I've seen a lot of Japanese cinema from the 80's outside of the obvious ones, and now I want to go digging. Ishii is clearly super talented, just full of attitude and visual ideas. Hoping to find more movies about biker punks too wild to be turned into fascists.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    Crazy Thunder Road

xfnhaa23lco9.png

Man, what energy. Can't say I've seen a lot of Japanese cinema from the 80's outside of the obvious ones, and now I want to go digging. Ishii is clearly super talented, just full of attitude and visual ideas. Hoping to find more movies about biker punks too wild to be turned into fascists.

next stop, Wild Zero?
    https://youtu.be/o3RZbBM_EuI

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I feel kinda weird for being underwhelmed by Mission: Impossible - Fallout. The action is great, in particular in the final setpiece, but any time they try to go for characterisation or even drama, it falls flat for me, and the messianic bullshit at the end about how it's Ethan Hunt keeping the world in one piece was nauseating. Whenever the movie remembers to shut up, it's exciting AF, but when it doesn't, it veers towards the saccharine too often. Sure, you don't watch Mission: Impossible for the drama, but even then you can either improve it or take out what's there. The characters are most engaging when they're involved in deadly derring-do, not when they try to interact as human beings, in particular Cruise's Hunt.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I feel kinda weird for being underwhelmed by Mission: Impossible - Fallout. The action is great, in particular in the final setpiece, but any time they try to go for characterisation or even drama, it falls flat for me, and the messianic bullshit at the end about how it's Ethan Hunt keeping the world in one piece was nauseating. Whenever the movie remembers to shut up, it's exciting AF, but when it doesn't, it veers towards the saccharine too often. Sure, you don't watch Mission: Impossible for the drama, but even then you can either improve it or take out what's there. The characters are most engaging when they're involved in deadly derring-do, not when they try to interact as human beings, in particular Cruise's Hunt.

McQuarrie's Hunt has to opposite sides in both his films, the invincible super-hero who Alec Baldwin thinks is Batman and the older man who's seen some shit and age is catching up. The former gets grating, and isn't needed. Too many times Baldwin seems like he's there simply to convince the audience he's the best ever (which drains the tension) and is written clumsily, I really wish they'd have gotten rid of that in the editing process, just show us McQuarrie you're good. Ironically even this Hunt is nowhere near his prime as a secret agent, that was in M:I 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ugUBBycFY

McQuarrie's films would go very differently if that was the Hunt the Syndicate
    and John Lark
    had to fight against!

Modern Hunt thrives being a veteran agent who is slowly fading, and he knows it. Gives him more humanity, he comes across as a fallible human and it's easier to sympathise/empathise with as a person.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I though Fallout was very good, but not as good as Rogue Nation or Ghost Protocol.

I also felt that they kind of...
    Fast and the Furious’d it. It seemed like a hodgepodge of cameos. Cameos that were not cameos really but main aspects of the film.

Now, I actually love the FATF franchise, but it’s an unfortunate association for Mission Impossible, IMO.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    As much as I enjoyed the three or four most recent M:I films while I was watching them, I found none of them as memorable as, say, John Wick, and nowhere near as memorable as the handful of James Bond movies I like (and I'm not even a big Bond fan). The action is often fantastic, but there's nothing there that sticks. For me they truly self-destruct ten seconds after I've watched them. Which is why I'm sometimes puzzled by the praise that especially Ghost Protocol and Fallout got - I would probably agree with much of the reviews while I'm watching the films, but one or two days later? Not so much.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Most of fallout was forgettable but that final bit in the helicopter fuselage was something else.i was squirming in my seat through the entire sequence.

Carpy on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Carpy wrote: »
    Most of fallout was forgettable but that final bit in the helicopter fuselage was something else.i was squirming in my seat through the entire sequence.

What about the bathroom scene fight with Cavil cocking his "guns". Seriously, even having seen it in the trailers, it was good moment.

In other news I saw Blazing Saddles tonight. Still holds up, not very surprisingly. And for people saying that you could never get away with such a movie today, I would say apart from the frequent use of the N-word, it would be fairly mundane. Even the use of the N-word is framed as something the villains and ignorant townsfolk use, with the Townsfolk coming around and the villains getting their comeuppance. Never is it presented as anything less then a slure and fairly vicious one at that. Its use sets up the best gag in the movie by empathizing how hurtful and insulting it is for Sheriff Bart.

Can't really show it as it really depends on the use of the N-word to make it stick(plus you should see the movie for that gag alone), but its the one where he greets a little old white lady and gets the N-word thrown back in his face. Followed by the Waco kid giving him a pep talk.

As for the racism. Bayformers: Revenge of the Fallen alone is way more racist and lack the good gags to go with it.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I can't get enough of this.
    https://youtu.be/-3jsfXDZLIY

Here is a block of 2019 trailers.
    https://youtu.be/iyrXRHDP0YQ

Carpy wrote: »

What about the bathroom scene fight with Cavil cocking his "guns". Seriously, even having seen it in the trailers, it was good moment.

In other news I saw Blazing Saddles tonight. Still holds up, not very surprisingly. And for people saying that you could never get away with such a movie today, I would say apart from the frequent use of the N-word, it would be fairly mundane. Even the use of the N-word is framed as something the villains and ignorant townsfolk use, with the Townsfolk coming around and the villains getting their comeuppance. Never is it presented as anything less then a slure and fairly vicious one at that. Its use sets up the best gag in the movie by empathizing how hurtful and insulting it is for Sheriff Bart.

Can't really show it as it really depends on the use of the N-word to make it stick(plus you should see the movie for that gag alone), but its the one where he greets a little old white lady and gets the N-word thrown back in his face. Followed by the Waco kid giving him a pep talk.

As for the racism. Bayformers: Revenge of the Fallen alone is way more racist and lack the good gags to go with it.

I mean, Django Unchained is right there.

and like

every other movie Tarantino has made

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    If I watch MI Fallout it's purely for the stunts

The plot never interested me after the first one (which is a goodass movie)

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    If I watch MI Fallout it's purely for the stunts

The plot never interested me after the first one (which is a goodass movie)

The skydiving scene is an incredible bit of choreography and stunt work, as is the restroom fight.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Nah, this ain't Transformers, those action shots actually look good instead of being vomit-inducing shakeycam. And the robot designs don't look like total ass, that can't be right. Plus, where is all the racism? How can you make a modern live-action Transformers without mountains of cringe-inducing racism?

Though I'm guessing they're saving the super-creepy sexual relationships with minors as a surprise for theater-goers, they certainly can't leave that out.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Nah, this ain't Transformers, those action shots actually look good instead of being vomit-inducing shakeycam. And the robot designs don't look like total ass, that can't be right. Plus, where is all the racism? How can you make a modern live-action Transformers without mountains of cringe-inducing racism?

Though I'm guessing they're saving the super-creepy sexual relationships with minors as a surprise for theater-goers, they certainly can't leave that out.

The camera is also not constantly trying to objectify the female lead, don't forget that.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Man, the Decepticons are even getting to deceive people!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My God. A new Transformers movie I could actually see myself...seeing?

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #914: Baal

A 1970 adaptation of Brecht's first play starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder and several of his actors. This isn't directed by Fassbinder, but another New German Cinema figure, Volker Schlondorff, who hasn't made much I've felt very strongly about, and this continues the trend; most of what I don't care in this film can be attributed to his efforts.

So the plot is about an alcoholic, piece of shit poet who goes around terrorizing people and being garbage. Being Brecht, this titular figure is given an ironic portents, and through his awfulness he reveals contradictions and falsities in the world around him. It even has some music (adapted in the style of late-60's rock), which Brecht was also fond of writing for his plays. Planting the adaptation in post-1968 West Germany is a compelling artistic decision, and RWF embodies the role with all the intensity and scumminess you would hope for.

But I just don't like the visual direction here. No doubt Schlondorff was going for intense, in-your-face imagining with handheld camera to play off of and enhance the volatility of the performances, but it comes across more as undisciplined to me. Rough camera movement and blocking obscure the drama rather than enhance, and the relative shapelessness of the narrative isn't helped by abrupt scene transitions and little feeling for the world outside of our characters. It's an alright experiment---it was a made for TV movie after all, but this sort of thing was accomplished much better by Fassbinder himself in subsequent years.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Chris Stuckmann enjoyed Bumblebee even though he said the plot/pacing reminded him of another movie about an alien befriending a kid etc, but recommended it anyway.

https://youtu.be/xcged3LJDCQ

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Venom was pretty fun!

I don’t know, I don’t have many comments. Pretty strong script. Performances good all around. Fun action. CG looked good. It was a nice contrast to MCU stuff.

I think a Venom 2 could be really neat.

Maybe the Living Vampire will also be pretty cool.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Venom mostly skates by on rock bottom expectations. It's moderately fun, Hardy works well bouncing off the suit, but that's as far as it goes. The cut to get the R rating off leaves the story in tatters. There wasn't really a standout set piece. It's fine. Just fine.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Wait, Bumblebee is actually a Beetle?

*cries tears of joy*

I mean, yes, the previous transformers were shitty in sexual, racial, storytelling, etc., but this is icing on the cake.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Spider-Verse post-credits scene: Are we talking post initial-fancy-credits, or sit through the whole thing?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Spider-Verse post-credits scene: Are we talking post initial-fancy-credits, or sit through the whole thing?

The whole thing.once the final credits are finished and the Sony logo has passed there is one last scene. As I have said already it's probably the best thing I've ever seen put to film.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I hope Bumblebee turns out to be more of a soft reboot than a prequel to the Bayformers. It actually looks like it's done somewhere approaching right.

Cautiously optimistic.

Jazz wrote: »
    I hope Bumblebee turns out to be more of a soft reboot than a prequel to the Bayformers. It actually looks like it's done somewhere approaching right.

Cautiously optimistic.

Keeping in mind that there are only 18 reviews in, it currently has a 100% on RT. That alone took me from hard pass to opening weekend.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bumblebee/

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/10/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-first-look-check-out-the-exclusive-official-poster
    BY TERRI SCHWARTZ Sonic The Hedgehog is making his way to the big screen, and IGN has the exclusive first look at a live-action take on the beloved character.

Check out the official motion poster for Sonic The Hedgehog below, which offers a tease at the iconic blue hedgehog's new look:
    DuDvzY6VAAAwIBF.jpg:large
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Back in my day, we called motion posters teasers.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Edit: Heh, one of his legs kind of looks like a penis if you aren't looking directly at it.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.