As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The most ironic of double posts

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    God "that's why I have so many rules" was a fantastic moment

“The Angels just made their second mistake, Bob, because I’m not going to let that pass.”

That episode is a memorable one for me, mainly because that's when we find out that the iconic "wiiirt wiiirt" TARDIS noise is because the Doctor has always accidently left the handbrake on.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oooh, found a cool theory on the finale.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/hipstershambles/status/1069725695566327808

they're heading to another historical episode, one of a future sci fi planet that we've already seen. Their non interference policy is gonna lead directly to The Ghost Monument.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wondered about the 'nine distress calls' bit in the trailer. Nine episodes in the series before this one, nine distress calls in the finale. Are they going to do nine callbacks, one for each episode?

I mean, probably not, almost certainly not, but that would be some feat of planning.

• Options
    The Stenza are "conquerers of the Nine Systems" so a distress call from each of em?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Callbacks to every episode so far would be a weird way to end a series that seems to have avoided continuity between episodes. Apart from the "get the TARDIS, get home" issue of the first few episodes (and with some edits, Rosa could have happened at any point), there's been nothing to link them all. If they pulled it off, it would be great - but I don't think there'll be any real connections. I don't even think the theory above is going to be anything more than
    Making use of a location and props they've already paid for.

I started off thinking this season was going to be great, but now I don't have confidence in them to deliver a decent finale. Which is the opposite of my usual approach to Who finales - I normally hope that it's going to be good and get let down. This time I'm setting my expectations to "maybe average".

• Options
    Whittaker has now confirmed she's definitely returning next season, but what next season will look like in terms of the number of episodes or when it's on is still anyone's guess.

• Options
    The rumour was that she and Chibs were quitting after a second series, IIRC.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    To be fair three years seems to be the standard.

• Options
    Well, if the rumour were correct, she'd be leaving after two, not three. Series 11 and Series 12. Which would suck, because if she makes it to three years it means the Fourteenth Doctor will start in Series 14. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think all the Doctor Who's should count from when they have a new Doctor, like a sequel franchise.
    Doctor Who: The Next Regeneration.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Well, if the rumour were correct, she'd be leaving after two, not three. Series 11 and Series 12. Which would suck, because if she makes it to three years it means the Fourteenth Doctor will start in Series 14. ;P

You mean season 37?

• Options
    Doctor is dying too much.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Spoiler clip for the old "The End of Time" episode.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Well, I finally got around to watching last week's episode. I really liked it. It was definitely my favorite of the non-historical episodes from this season.
    The Solitract thing was a good idea, though its introduction as an idea felt a little off, as you said Bogart. It felt a bit sudden, but immediately right. I felt if they had introduced the idea of the Solitract somehow, and then the Doctor did her thing for a bit and then concluded it was the Solitract it'd given a bit more credibility. Or maybe not even introduced it as a story per se, but just a nameless other universe thing that the Doctor has never seen before and the mystery surrounding what it is.

But I think this is the best episode yet for making the case that this Doctor is the "kind" Doctor (from Capaldi's regen speech). This Doctor isn't looking for enemies to confront, but to travel and be nice and make friends when possible.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    It is not going to help the show if they take breaks like this.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It can't take two years to make ten episodes (and a special). I wouldn't have thought a year to do it would be unreasonable.

Assuming it returns in autumn again and not early in the year.

Jazz on
  • Options
    They’ve said early in 2020. It seems like it takes 15-18 months to make ten episodes. It took them 12 months to make thirteen when the show first came back, and they were banging out 12 in 15-18 months with Capaldi.

Is shooting more complicated now? Are people’s scehdules more crowded? It’s be nice if they gave a reason and didn’t pretend this was a brilliant plan.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I assume that something is screwed up behind the scenes, like they need to find a new show runner and doctor and can’t do it that fast. Sad, because I loved this season

• Options
    It's tough to gauge how happy the production is. Critical reception has been weirdly positive, it seems like, while the fan reaction has been resoundingly negative. Artificially so, even if the series has been mediocre, we've got the goobergarm types doing their usual shitstorm around it, a cursory glance online would have you thinking this was the worst series of all fucking time. So it's a tossup wether the beeb is satisfied with how this has gone. It's probably more down to how happy Chibbers and Jodie are with it, and it almost feels like they're making this show under duress. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Old shooting was too short to really get all the episodes they had to, which is why they tended to have a doctor/companion-lite episode to save on shooting time (even if those led to some fantastic episodes like Blink).
    I remember them saying on the seasons where the didn't have those, the actors were really pushing it to get them done.

So less episodes to produce or a longer period to produce them doesn't worry me too much, but I figured that was what they were doing this time. Doing both even more does suggest something isn't working as smoothly as it should be.

And depending on when 'early' 2020 is, this could be a delay of just a couple of months, which isn't super bad.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    The fan reaction has mostly been a slapfight about whether the Doctor can be a woman or not. Perhaps the BBC are thinking "We make Doctor Who as a cosy programme that everyone can enjoy, not a cutting edge social drama. Let's cut the female Doctor. This is generating too much controversy."

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Honestly I doubt that the beeb will fold easily on the Lady Doctor part, they are busy digging themselves out of a gender equality hole, PR-wise so doing a u turn with a flagship show would catch them a helluva lot of flack.

I would wager that the extra 3 or 4 months is to try and correct the slightly aimless feel of this series, which has been fine, but really hurt by having no real story continuity. (imo)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I liked the fact that there is no arc plot spoiling the self-contained episodes. If you ever re-watch old episodes, the clanging scene where someone says something like “The BAD WOLF is coming!” apropos of nothing, is really annoying.

• Options
    Where has the slapfight fan reaction been? I've not seen it anywhere.
    Doubtless there are places on reddit or wherever that hate it, but I've never seen any complaints about her being a woman anywhere that the BBC would give a damn about.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If I had to speculate wildly, and I do, I would guess the BBC is slow rolling it so the number of viewers per episode remains high.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    They just need to ask the American networks how they crank out 22 episodes every season and do that but for only 13. Take a loan out or something.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They just need to ask the American networks how they crank out 22 episodes every season and do that but for only 13. Take a loan out or something.

Since the reboot the show was making 13 eps a season, so it's to like it can't be done and part of that was under BBC pressure behind the scenes. Torchwood, and SJA both got 12+ episodes for seasons, as well. The question is - what's different now that they can't do that?

• Options
    So the finale episode was OK. It was fine. I dunno
    what Tim Shaw wanted the other planets for, exactly, but maybe it was all just to get the Doctor there so he could destroy Earth in front of her. OK, fine. Bradley Walsh continues to be the only companion to really have the material to make an impact.Not sure why they hired Mark Addy and then asked him to do not much more than look a bit confused in repeated scenes, but OK, fine.

The season itself was distinctly underwhelming as a whole. Whittaker was really good. Walsh was good. The look of the show was impressive, and the special effects seem better. The historicals were generally the stronger episodes, but a lot of the stories was crippled by stodgy exposition, uninteresting villains, oddly static and bland direction and staging and a singularly limp series of final moments where repeated episodes just seemed to get cut off rather than satisfyingly end.

Pleased with the my new thread title, though.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Since the reboot the show was making 13 eps a season, so it's to like it can't be done and part of that was under BBC pressure behind the scenes. Torchwood, and SJA both got 12+ episodes for seasons, as well. The question is - what's different now that they can't do that?

I'm guessing money. For all the whining about the license fee, the BBC are having to do more with less, and Who can't be the cheapest show to make.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    They’ve said early in 2020. It seems like it takes 15-18 months to make ten episodes. It took them 12 months to make thirteen when the show first came back, and they were banging out 12 in 15-18 months with Capaldi.

Is shooting more complicated now? Are people’s scehdules more crowded? It’s be nice if they gave a reason and didn’t pretend this was a brilliant plan.

There are all sorts of rumours I’ve seen, but one of the more plausible ones is that Bradders has a pretty full schedule. I’m pretty chuffed Whittaker’s coming back for the next series, though. I can’t get enough of Thirteen.

• Options
    If Doctor Who is being delayed because Bradley Walsh has to bang out 100 more episodes of some poxy gameshow that's pretty pathetic.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    If Doctor Who is being delayed because Bradley Walsh has to bang out 100 more episodes of some poxy gameshow that's pretty pathetic.

To be fair in the heriarchy of British game shows it’s

Pointless
    The chase
    And then everything else is far far behind those.

• Options

One is far cheaper and probably more valuable to the BBC to keep going, the other has survived all the disruption that 50 years can throw at it.
    As a sci-fi fan I'm annoyed by it, but as a business decision I can't fault it.

• Options
    Surely the better business decision is don't hire the guy who can't do the show?

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Bradley Walsh has been one of the best companions since the revival, in my view. It'd be a real shame if he wasn't around after this (though they've had two episodes in a row now helping him confront and deal with his grief, so I can see an argument for Graham leaving).

• Options
    Surely the better business decision is don't hire the guy who can't do the show?
    If they can use it to justify spreading the budget to stretch further, that's not a concern.