As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: Dance Like Nobody's Shooting (At You)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Kind of waiting for full curse weeks... kind of not caring anymore. This situation feels pretty much like a repeat of the vanilla Destiny 2 into DLC releases for me. Just remembered that I should have did the Whisper thing over the weekend and now, in theory I can get the catalyst completed just before the start of the new year? /golfclap.

Time gating the content grossly devalued it, as I can be entertained playing other games while moving toward uncovering more story/achievement progression. Forge looks somewhat interesting but the beachhead that needs to be broken to be able to play it is just dumb, and requires even more pointless grinding and well, luck with the slot drops.

Really glad I got dredgen though as Gambit is... painful these days.

edit: bleh, TOTP.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Are the last two Forges the same Power level as these two?

Izanami isn't until Dec 18th, and Niobe is Jan 8 (MAH BERFDAY), so we'll have to wait and see. My guess is yes, though.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't mind limited timegating.

But in the case of Gambit, it makes the activity less worthwhile to play for two of every three weeks.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    The new armor set looks cool enough and have great base stats but seriously, one piece a week and no way to change perks?

I’ll get a usable set in 2021 then.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    The new armor set looks cool enough and have great base stats but seriously, one piece a week and no way to change perks?

Isn't the new set from the raid? Seems like you could get multiple pieces pretty easily if you're not super unlucky.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

Isn't the new set from the raid? Seems like you could get multiple pieces pretty easily if you're not super unlucky.

Different arnour set, Ada has a weekly milestone that grants one piece for forging two weapons

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    No, there is a set from the forges too, its a weekly from Ada. (Craft 2 guns besides the starting MG, no the blue research ones doesnt count)

Just got the Gauntlets for Warlock called Annealed Shaper Gloves but they have crap perks.

Titan got chestpiece, Hunter got gloves too, all with terrible perks.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    seriously? I actually liked the look of that set. gdi

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Well, its random rolls but Bungie just made way too many perks and forgot that this is 2018, plenty of other games have random rolls but allow you to alter one row (at an increasing cost and only that one row), like The Division.

Random rolls only suck because Bungie is sitting on their asses with it.

Rare gear especially, isnt fit for pure RNG rolls.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So who will drag my ass through an entire escalation protocol to get the ikelos shotgun? Everyone just goes away after tier 1.

I need to do this too, if you want to fumble through it together at some point.

PS4? My tag is in my sig (I think. I’m always on mobile these days).

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Different arnour set, Ada has a weekly milestone that grants one piece for forging two weapons

ooooo

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    awsimo wrote: »
    Malfeasance get. Breakneck get.

...I think I'm gonna take a break from Gambit for a while.

Yeah, I’m only playing on full Curse weeks now. All I need is the ghost and ship, and 3 super invaders.

Oh dang, are you going for Dredgen? I decided not to stress myself with it. Too much of that title is RNG-reliant: getting the Meatball, getting the cosmetic drops from the Meatball, getting an invader to pop their super...

I had given up on it, but in my grind for Breakneck I got the Sparrow and a teammate got the 100 mote triumph for me. I not gonna stress over it, but I’m so close that it would be silly not to at least try for it. That and Cursebreaker are the only two titles I like, so...

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I need light vs light for Dredgen, but I’m too burned out on Gambit to play long enough that I happen to see a roaming super.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I finally got the darn 100 motes triumph last week. I had to throw the second round to do it.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    They definitely didn't think that one through. It should have been tied to getting some large number of motes in a single round, not over a match that can have more rounds if you lose one.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I played a whole bunch of destiny over the weekend and it was very fun. Gofannon and Involundrcel were both beaten. I think it’s very great that Bungie made an endgame activity that skullfort is actually meta for.

Once you get to about 610 the initial waves become pretty trivial. I played a bunch of gofannon and volundr last night and I don’t think we ever died on the first two waves. It’s still a lot of fun tho and whoop big surprise you can put matchmaking on a hard activity and it’s actually fine, thx for getting down off your high horse Bungie.

The Gofannon boss is real hard if you’re not a whisper of the worm wizard which I’m not. Seems like it’s really hard to get sustained deeps going on him. I think a burn strategy like in gambit where you coordinate melting point and blade barrage is probably the best approach.

My one complaint is that it seems like the most important thing strategically is making it to the boss with all your special and heavy intact. It won’t be as much of a problem when people are higher level but with people around 615 you need every single ounce of dps to beat the gofannon boss. Would be nice to start with full!

The Sunday raid team also checked out the first encounter of the new raid and it looks extremely cool.

Unfortunately though I realized that I don’t have the self control to play endgame destiny and still commit the right amount of time to my other myriad responsibilities in life. Which is a shame because after I uninstalled I spoiled myself on the raid and damn it looks like I picked a bad one to quit on :(

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Managed a +600 net Glory evening in comp last night, thanks to @Khraul, @Fawst, and @Disrupter. After getting my teeth kicked in solo, it was a nice reminder that this is actually doable with teammates.

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    So who will drag my ass through an entire escalation protocol to get the ikelos shotgun? Everyone just goes away after tier 1.

I need to do this too, if you want to fumble through it together at some point.

PS4? My tag is in my sig (I think. I’m always on mobile these days).

Yeah, PS4. I'll add ya and shout after work. Looking forward to embarrassing myself.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Toasticus wrote: »
    They definitely didn't think that one through. It should have been tied to getting some large number of motes in a single round, not over a match that can have more rounds if you lose one.

Eh, it's internally consistent. The Triumph is to do a high risk behavior in order to earn a cosmetic title. Between stacking all your hopes on one person, making it so they can't lose motes, it becomes tense. If it's "bank 50 motes in one round" it's way more managable, there isn't the persistent threat of invasion, and you don't have to throw a round to make it happen. Throwing the round adds to the tension because it means you have to go through a full three-round match, and you still have to win (which can be harder to manage last round), and you still have to not die to invaders or adds for another full round.

The requirements are intentionally harsh because it's meant to be a challenge that is blatantly not in line with just straight up efficient victory. It's diversification of gameplay rather than continuing the straight line of victory. And it's an marathon over three rounds rather than a sprint so that the thrill (or frustration if you hate it) is more potent.

We literally cheered when we got it, after throwing our bodies in front of bullets meant for our mote-carrier.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

We had a running gag over the weekend of "WHY DO WE PLAY THIS GAME?!" in faux outraged voices.

The answer, of course, is the gameplay itself is excellent, plus friends play.

We really shouldn't play this game, though.
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Once you get to about 610 the initial waves become pretty trivial. I played a bunch of gofannon and volundr last night and I don’t think we ever died on the first two waves. It’s still a lot of fun tho and whoop big surprise you can put matchmaking on a hard activity and it’s actually fine, thx for getting down off your high horse Bungie. :(
    I don't think the debate was ever about content like the Forge. It's not a hard activity, to be blunt. It, EP, Blind Well, etc., should have matchmaking because it's not super hard.

The only debate I saw was some people thought that the raid should have matchmaking.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Well, its random rolls but Bungie just made way too many perks and forgot that this 2018, plenty of other games have random rolls but allow you to alter one row (at an increasing cost and only that one row), like The Division.

Random rolls only suck because Bungie is sitting on their asses with it.

Rare gear especially, isnt fit for pure RNG rolls.

You can also get the forge armor from the bonus bounties that you can get when completing daily bounties for Ada. So still Random, but you can get multiple a week.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options

Eh, it's internally consistent. The Triumph is to do a high risk behavior in order to earn a cosmetic title. Between stacking all your hopes on one person, making it so they can't lose motes, it becomes tense. If it's "bank 50 motes in one round" it's way more managable, there isn't the persistent threat of invasion, and you don't have to throw a round to make it happen. Throwing the round adds to the tension because it means you have to go through a full three-round match, and you still have to win (which can be harder to manage last round), and you still have to not die to invaders or adds for another full round.

The requirements are intentionally harsh because it's meant to be a challenge that is blatantly not in line with just straight up efficient victory. It's diversification of gameplay rather than continuing the straight line of victory. And it's an marathon over three rounds rather than a sprint so that the thrill (or frustration if you hate it) is more potent.

We literally cheered when we got it, after throwing our bodies in front of bullets meant for our mote-carrier.

Making it super difficult to get is certainly fine! I'm not against that at all. I just mean that giving players motivation to throw a round is generally a bad idea. It worked for your group, who were all knowingly going for it and 100% down with throwing a round to get it. But imagine the plight of the solo-queue player who is witnessing a teammate blatantly throwing a round. Often that'll be because they're lashing out rather than going for the triumph, so it just kind of piles on top of that and contributes to the salt fiesta that Gambit often becomes.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    So, I got a double exotic drop from a weekly. Duplicate Doomfangs and Riskrunner. I mean, not even world drops, quest drop exotics lol.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    For anyone who still doesn’t have a Breakneck, here’s a quick review. I’m just over 553 light and my Breakneck is 556, if that matters.

It seems very good. Kinda lackluster if you can’t get it spinning up for some reason, but once it gets going it will melt just about anything that’s not a full sized boss. I haven’t done any mathematical breakdowns but when you have full Rampage going, everything melts. The tougher red health enemies like knights just disappear. Yellow bar majors go down in a second. Most shields don’t matter because it fires so fast. It’s a very fun gun and at full speed it is extremely powerful. It also appears to have a hidden Outlaw perk when you have full rampage going, because at that point reload speed increases dramatically.

It seems really great in solo play where you are the only one shooting things. In multiplayer pve, it’s less reliable because you might not get the killing blow. I’d probably prefer a pulse or hand cannon in big groups of stuff where 3-4 people are bunched together. Any time you can single out groups of enemies it’s worth having.

I don’t play pvp so I have no idea how it stacks there.

I’m glad I got it. The most grueling part of the quest was the 40 games, everything else came pretty easily. Solo gambit can be infuriating of course. But it is great to see that Bungie put a weapon out there that a single player can attain on their own, and is probably a significant power boost over most other kinetic primaries. And of course it’s masterwork so you get all the benefits that come with that.

I’m glad I got it. Whether it’s worth getting depends on how badly you want it. 40 gambit games is a lot, unless you’ve got three other friends that can dunk on everyone else. But some people just won’t want to tolerate that, which is totally understandable. I don’t think it’s a necessary weapon by any means, but if you take your time getting it you won’t burn out.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular

Making it super difficult to get is certainly fine! I'm not against that at all. I just mean that giving players motivation to throw a round is generally a bad idea. It worked for your group, who were all knowingly going for it and 100% down with throwing a round to get it. But imagine the plight of the solo-queue player who is witnessing a teammate blatantly throwing a round. Often that'll be because they're lashing out rather than going for the triumph, so it just kind of piles on top of that and contributes to the salt fiesta that Gambit often becomes.

Oh yeah, it is profoundly unfriendly for a solo queue accomplishment. But I think that is the design. Someone trying to get that Triumph with no coordination is likely a detriment to their team, or at least rude. But crazier things have happened, and while this is meant to be a social game, sometimes barriers to entry make that hard.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately though I realized that I don’t have the self control to play endgame destiny and still commit the right amount of time to my other myriad responsibilities in life. Which is a shame because after I uninstalled I spoiled myself on the raid and damn it looks like I picked a bad one to quit on :(

i played for an hour or so on saturday morning and i realized i was not having fun and i really don't want to grind up my power level doing the same stuff i'm already tired of doing in order to see the new content because i am just not enjoying playing right now so maybe in a few months i'll feel differently and we can two man the raid when everyone else has moved on

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i played for an hour or so on saturday morning and i realized i was not having fun and i really don't want to grind up my power level doing the same stuff i'm already tired of doing in order to see the new content because i am just not enjoying playing right now so maybe in a few months i'll feel differently and we can two man the raid when everyone else has moved on

This is a pretty prevailing feeling in the longer playing community right now

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

The idea that the level cap should have lifted last week as well as the first forge being more accessible light is really on the money for me. Now that I've gained like 15 light the forge feels fine, the second forge actually has some story stuff that isn't bad to do, if a bit grindy, so that'd be fine. What I saw of the first raid encounter looked like it was going to be fun mix of risk/reward and coordination. Rather bittersweet that I'm weeks away from having a shot at it just because light level shenanigans.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Sounds good to me. I might come back for penumbra because Calus is a snack

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

The idea that the level cap should have lifted last week as well as the first forge being more accessible light is really on the money for me. Now that I've gained like 15 light the forge feels fine, the second forge actually has some story stuff that isn't bad to do, if a bit grindy, so that'd be fine. What I saw of the first raid encounter looked like it was going to be fun mix of risk/reward and coordination. Rather bittersweet that I'm weeks away from having a shot at it just because light level shenanigans.

yeah i think i would feel rather different if i had new content out the gate to level through instead of looking uphill and seeing it in the distance

it's not even far off in the distance, i just physically can't bring myself to want to get there from here

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

yeah i think i would feel rather different if i had new content out the gate to level through instead of looking uphill and seeing it in the distance

it's not even far off in the distance, i just physically can't bring myself to want to get there from here

As I was doing the prep stuff for the second forge I was thinking I had no fucking idea why this wasn't the chain for the first one. I mean, it isn't anything great, mostly some altered Lost Sectors and collect-a-thons, but at least it was a new take on the old stuff. Of course, there isn't much in rewards on that chain either so it wouldn't help with the leveling issue.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The first forge should've launched at 550, the second at 600, the raid at 600, the remaining forges at 625+, and bump up the soft cap to 550 at minimum.

There is zero reason to gate off so much content.

• Options
    Alternately, abolish power levels altogether.

• Options
    I didn’t mean to start the argument again! I actually think Black Armory is probably one of the best minor expansions they’ve done.

I just know that for me at this point the amount of time required to experience D2 the way I would like to doesn’t make sense for me .

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

I'm seeing this is a chance to take a break from Destiny and play all of the other games I've been neglecting this year. I can come back in a few months when new story content has become part of the season pass and maybe the pass will even go on sale in the interim.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Arteen wrote: »
    Alternately, abolish power levels altogether.

At the very least, abolish RNG levelling systems.

Sirialis on
  • Options

Oh yeah, it is profoundly unfriendly for a solo queue accomplishment. But I think that is the design. Someone trying to get that Triumph with no coordination is likely a detriment to their team, or at least rude. But crazier things have happened, and while this is meant to be a social game, sometimes barriers to entry make that hard.

Ah, I thought that was where this discussion started. Might have got the wrong impression but it sounded like Arteen wasn't grouped. Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of people say they got that triumph thanks to a rando, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of people chasing it in solo queues, which brings us back to the problem of total strangers throwing rounds for the sake of a triumph. I think they could have made a triumph that was equally challenging without encouraging negative behavior.

I think a lot of folks (even those who actively join up on discord groups) like to spend game time solo-queuing. Just a lot less responsibility and pressure to perform when your team is strangers, you know? Care should be taken about how the carrots the game dangles can impact player behavior for folks who aren't on voice comms.

The new Gambit bounty that rewards you for taking out the Primeval Envoys are a big leap in the right direction, for example. Compare to the bounties that required a bunch of 15-mote deposits, which is a poor strategy early in the rounds and can sabotage your team. We've all had the blueberry who had 12 motes and still went out for more when they could have dropped our Primeval.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I didn’t mean to start the argument again! I actually think Black Armory is probably one of the best minor expansions they’ve done.

I just know that for me at this point the amount of time required to experience D2 the way I would like to doesn’t make sense for me .

I'm pretty sure it's only good in that it does not, so far at least, have any horrible writing.

Which it accomplished by having almost no writing whatsoever.

So...I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's the same as the other team one, to deposit 60 motes at the exact same time. It's not a good strategy for winning. Of course, as team challenges, I imagine the whole point is everyone is ok with losing to try and make this work.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Arteen wrote: »
    The first forge should've launched at 550, the second at 600, the raid at 600, the remaining forges at 625+, and bump up the soft cap to 550 at minimum.

There is zero reason to gate off so much content.
    Oh, there are reasons, just one's you don't agree with :).

If we're going to pick numbers out of the air, though, imo,

First Forge - 610
    Second Forge - 615
    Third Forge - 620
    Fourth Forge - 625
    Raid - 630

Make the successful completion of a forge immediately open up the following Forge. Also, uncap the # of Prime Engrams / increase their droprate in Forge related activities.

Blind Well, too, maybe.

/endArmchairDeveloper

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).