As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the old pokemon thread :(

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I don't know if i should post this here or the go thread.

If i have say a shiny growlithe in pokemon go and put it into the go park will it spawn shiny when i go to catch it?

And will it have my trainer name and such when i collect it so i can nickname it?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you can just nickname anything now, afaik.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Still can't nickname traded pokemon sadly

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I hope the "nickname anything at any time" things remains for the next mainline game. So many great QoL changes made in Let's Go.

yaaay beaten the champion
    please someone help me with trade evoooosssss

camo_sig2.png
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I don't know if i should post this here or the go thread.

If i have say a shiny growlithe in pokemon go and put it into the go park will it spawn shiny when i go to catch it?

And will it have my trainer name and such when i collect it so i can nickname it?

Yes they remain shiny in lets go when you go to catch them.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Few things - I played a little bit in handheld mode to try out the hair style thing. Holy shit that's a MILLION times better! Please, for the love of God, patch in pro controller support Gamefreak... The motion controls are so god awful. I'm sick of throwing a pokeball and watching it fly the OPPOSITE direction of my throw. I waste soooo many pokeballs because the game is dumb about detecting things right.

Anyways, played the shit out of it this weekend and got to Saffron City, tho immediately made a detour to Fusia Town so I could FINALLY unlock Go Park. So nice to have pokemon space in Go again (been hoarding Kanto pokemon to trade over).

Overall really liking this game a lot tho. Only thing I absolutely hate are the controls. I am still crossing my fingers they patch handheld controls in docked mode... There is literally no reason they can't do that - they are in the game already.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Got my shiny charm going to SR for shiny mewtwo.

May arceus have mercy upon my soul.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hm... as I have the Pokemon box on me it’s very tempting to swap out downed ‘mons for fresh ones.
    It’s another layer of easiness, but it does make me use teams I’ve never considered before. I’m doing a no potion or revive run, so it’s kinda fair.
    Just won a rival battle using a completely random team and no eevee.

Two hundred two resets. Oh my god.
    cs1o5don75ho.jpg

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Two hundred two resets. Oh my god.
    cs1o5don75ho.jpg

I didn't bother resetting for shiny on any of the legendaries. I did get my 3rd shiny last night though, Ponyta.

Think next I'm gonna work on a Nidoking/Queen again.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Isn't 200 better than you would expect, even with the shiny charm? It's not like you can chain them.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    A curious sort of self-flagellation, that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Oh god yes 202 resets is ABSURDLY lucky on my part. We don't know if the lure works for stationaries like Mewtwo but the rates for a SR shiny bird/mewtwo with charm are

1/1365.3 if lure does not work
    1/1024 if it does.

So i got mine way under odds

I hope in some future generation you can just dye your Pokemon. I think that’d be neat.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I hope in some future generation you can just dye your Pokemon. I think that’d be neat.

You can't dye pokemon, they just faint.

I hope in some future generation you can just feed your Pokemon HUE BERRIES that change their colouration.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I hope in some future generation you can just feed your Pokemon HUE BERRIES that change their colouration.

berries that make them laugh in Portuguese?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

The trainers will rise up against Arceus, and be cast down for their Hue Berries.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    anyone online with their switches right now
    i really want to evolve my kadabra and my haunter
    and get a Scyther if possible

camo_sig2.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Is soft resetting just closing the game or is there a button combo? My google-fu isn't coming up with the latter

76561197966849367.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    Is soft resetting just closing the game or is there a button combo? My google-fu isn't coming up with the latter

There is no button combo to reset the game, it's literally just closing out of the game and opening it again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »

There is no button combo to reset the game, it's literally just closing out of the game and opening it again.

Which requires you to have the right joycon handy, since the pro controller REFUSES to sync while the game is running. It's absolutely stupid.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    It still baffles me how the game just can't handle such radical concepts as "Play with a Pro Controller" or "Play with both joycons" or even "play with a single joy-con on its side". There is already a controller pairing/selection menu, even!

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I love the way it plays with the single joycon. It's very easy to control.

I don't dislike playing with one joycon, but I want the options.

camo_sig2.png
    I don't dislike playing with one joycon, but I want the options.

That's fair.

edited December 2018
    I mean, I'm playing with the pokeball nigh-exclusively, but the fact that the game doesn't support more control options, especially when it supports those options in handheld mode, is ridiculous.

TDawg on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Playing with a single joy con hurts my wrist after a while

I gave myself a black eye using my pokeball plus.

• XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    I started playing with the pokeball plus but had to switch to a joycon because the pokeball plus caused my hand to cramp after about an hour of playing. Might be due to my hand size, I couldn't hold it comfortably. I don't have the same issues with a joycon (I'm left-handed, though, so the control stick is in a good spot on the left joycon for me).

I'll echo others sentiments: I would vastly prefer a normal control method. The method available is okay, but when it actively detracts from my interest in catching pokemon then there is a problem.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I want to catch a shiny charmander, can someone check my understanding: I need to run around catching rattatas or spearows or whatever, get a chain of at least 31, but preferably 150 for max IVs, then use a lure and hope for a shiny charmander, ignoring any regular charmanders. Is that right?
    I just spent about an hour trying to chain regular charmanders... should have googled it first.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If you want the IVs, you have to chain the pokemon you're wanting to catch specifically

But yes, that method is an easier way of getting the chain going

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I finished the entire Pokédex!

Well, except for that one Pokémon you can only get by buying an accessory.

And all those Pokémon you can only get through trading.

But apart from that, I got all the Pokémon.

Don't think I've done that since... geez... Gold & Silver, probably.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    This actually got me playing Pokemon Go again to try to finish the pokedex. I think it's gotten me about half the pokemon I still need? I don't have Mew, but apparently it's possible to catch him in Pokemon Go doing an extensive series of quests.

Might be a waste to then send him over to Pokemon Let's Go once I get him. We shall see.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    This actually got me playing Pokemon Go again to try to finish the pokedex. I think it's gotten me about half the pokemon I still need? I don't have Mew, but apparently it's possible to catch him in Pokemon Go doing an extensive series of quests.

Might be a waste to then send him over to Pokemon Let's Go once I get him. We shall see.

Mew is just barely usable in Go. And costs a lot of resources to bring to that point. So I'd say it's not a waste to transfer.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you can't transfer Mew from GO to Let's Go

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Also, Mew isn't needed for the completed Dex/Shiny Charm.

I'm missing just Kabuto and Kabutops to close the Pokedex.

camo_sig2.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I'm missing just Kabuto and Kabutops to close the Pokedex.
    I don't know if you know this, but...

You can find fossils hidden in Cerulean Cave.

WotanAnubis on