As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: Dance Like Nobody's Shooting (At You)

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »
    Alternately, abolish power levels altogether.

At the very least, abolish RNG levelling systems.

The thing that has me struggling to find reasons to boot the game is that I did 2 raids last week and got 4 or 5 power weapons between them. Like, cool, a non-negligible percentage of my weekly powerful drops are completely worthless. Awesome. Great.

Also the fact that the content I really care about doesn't launch until May and the next content drop is one I couldn't care less about. I have plenty of time to get up to speed.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    The first forge should've launched at 550, the second at 600, the raid at 600, the remaining forges at 625+, and bump up the soft cap to 550 at minimum.

There is zero reason to gate off so much content.
    Oh, there are reasons, just one's you don't agree with :).

If we're going to pick numbers out of the air, though, imo,

First Forge - 610
    Second Forge - 615
    Third Forge - 620
    Fourth Forge - 625
    Raid - 630

Make the successful completion of a forge immediately open up the following Forge. Also, uncap the # of Prime Engrams / increase their droprate in Forge related activities.

Blind Well, too, maybe.

/endArmchairDeveloper

I'm okay with there being a quest chain to unlock a forge but finishing one forge should give you some kind of hint as to how to start the next one. I had to go look up how to start the gannondorf forge quest because the game doesn't even tell you there is another forge, outside of Triumph text, much less what you need to do to engage the RNG to get the quest item drop.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The more I think about it, the more I think the main reason I don't get more burned out on Destiny is PvP. If I only mainlined PvE content, I'd get bored way faster like chasing alts, trying to do all the progression goals each week on multiple characters, and running the same encounters over and over (even Raid encounters) would start to dull. But instead, whenever something seems to start to get boring, I just mix it up with PvP, and that keeps things fresh. It doesn't last forever (the drop-off between Osiris and Warmind was legit bad), but it at least diversifies things enough that I'm only recently feeling the need to explore Hunter and Warlock more, and to start chasing some triumphs and Seals more seriously.

PvP isn't for everyone, but Gambit is a nice hybrid that can keep things fresh. But I think without some PvP style element, the encounters get too rote to remain satisfying indefinitely.

And this all assumes you have people to play with. Grind + solo is even worse.

That said, if you're feeling burnt out, take some time away from Destiny for a bit. Even though I don't play them, I hear there are other games that are worth your time. And a lot of the chase itself isn't demonstrably worthwhile if you're already not having fun. So go find your run. Destiny will be here, and if you have regular players, maybe organize a night where people chat but are in different games anyway.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I didn’t mean to start the argument again! I actually think Black Armory is probably one of the best minor expansions they’ve done.

I just know that for me at this point the amount of time required to experience D2 the way I would like to doesn’t make sense for me .

I'm pretty sure it's only good in that it does not, so far at least, have any horrible writing.

Which it accomplished by having almost no writing whatsoever.

So...I guess that's one way to solve that problem.

Story aside, I would rather have the forges than the story missions from Crota, Osiris or House of Wolves.

And Ada-1's writing isn't bad enough to enter the destiny hall of shame but it is still pretty clunky. Although I did chuckle at (post first forge completion spoiler)
    she sarcastically does the whole 'YOURE THE BEST CONGRATS' speech. Kinda undermines it when she sarcastically thanks you but then says 'that was mean, you are actually the best thanks so much ilu'

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I didn’t mean to start the argument again! I actually think Black Armory is probably one of the best minor expansions they’ve done.

I just know that for me at this point the amount of time required to experience D2 the way I would like to doesn’t make sense for me .

I'm pretty sure it's only good in that it does not, so far at least, have any horrible writing.

Guardian-Racist Robo Lady is mostly just weird. She has no established character to say she's being written inconsistently but she sure it written like somebody who hasn't spoken to another person for like a century.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Some of us in the PC clan dipped our toes into the new raid on Friday (to more or less have the feet get blasted off) and the first encounter at least seems really cool. Even though we were getting totally knocked around it was fun to try figuring out the mechanics. Been hearing from a lot of folks who spoiled the new raid that it's quite something, so BA has that going for it.

Going to try rallying the troops for another crack at it tonight before the reset!

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Guardian-Racist Robo Lady is mostly just weird. She has no established character to say she's being written inconsistently but she sure it written like somebody who hasn't spoken to another person for like a century.

i only got what dialog you get in-game on the way to unlocking the first forge but man it sure did sound like a pointless problem she created herself that we have to solve because reasons

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.

Yeah. It seems like there was room there to write an antagonistic, anti-Guardian NPC who will deign to give you the occasional piece of gear in exchange for working your ass off on her behalf but instead of 'Guardian-hater forced by circumstance to deal with those she hates' they went with 'mildly peevish Tower denizen'. I expect Ada-1 will be handing out protomatter coal lumps once the Dawning starts up.

Chanus wrote: »

i only got what dialog you get in-game on the way to unlocking the first forge but man it sure did sound like a pointless problem she created herself that we have to solve because reasons

Having finished the first forge, I still don't understand how she lost it or why she couldn't find it.

Get it back from the absurdly powerful Cabal defending it, sure, that's a problem, but she quite clearly said she couldn't find the thing.

Yeah. It seems like there was room there to write an antagonistic, anti-Guardian NPC who will deign to give you the occasional piece of gear in exchange for working your ass off on her behalf but instead of 'Guardian-hater forced by circumstance to deal with those she hates' they went with 'mildly peevish Tower denizen'. I expect Ada-1 will be handing out protomatter coal lumps once the Dawning starts up.

So this reminded me:
    Spider just gave us that pass?

Now that's some inconsistent characterization there. Also the perfect place to insert a "beginning of expansion reskinned fetch quest" to at least acknowledge that it is a big departure for him and that NEW STUFF is happening.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Toasticus wrote: »
    They definitely didn't think that one through. It should have been tied to getting some large number of motes in a single round, not over a match that can have more rounds if you lose one.

I'm surprised nobody tried to argue you to the ground that you can totally get it in two rounds with a win because you can totally get it in two rounds and blah blah blah. :P

While I didn't have to actively throw a round to get into a circumstance where it happened, matches where a single person got over 100 motes were hard to come by. usually 80 motes or so on one guy and 80 on another or something like that.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”

So this reminded me:
    Spider just gave us that pass?

Now that's some inconsistent characterization there. Also the perfect place to insert a "beginning of expansion reskinned fetch quest" to at least acknowledge that it is a big departure for him and that NEW STUFF is happening.

I guess the Spider is a Black Armory reseller and his product wasn't getting re-upped so long as the forges were down but it does seem highly un-the Spider-like to not even demand a fistful of ghost parts or something.

Also, shouldn't Hawthrone know about the Black Armory? She seems like basically the prime customer-base for the BA.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i would much rather have run some quests that grant powerful rewards to get you up to level to attempt the forge than get a pass, run a quest that grants you a pass, and then go grind out powerful rewards until i can attempt the forge

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited December 2018
    I like the idea that the black armory has been out of operation for like a thousand years and Ada1 doesn't actually give a shit about guardians- she was just too lazy to go find anyone to help her.

Then the guardians moved into her tower and she pretended to be a racist so she didn't have to admit that she just couldn't be bothered figuring out how to make guns again.

DodgeBlan on

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten super far into the BA stuff yet but so far the writing seems fine. Nothing glaring. Spider tells you to go fix a problem for an associate of his. Said associate is not particularly enamoured of guardians. Nothing seems strange here.

I like the idea that the black armory has been out of operation for like a thousand years and Ada1 doesn't actually give a shit about guardians- she was just too lazy to go find anyone to help her.

Then the guardians moved into her tower and she pretended to be a racist so she didn't have to admit that she just couldn't be bothered figuring out how to make guns again.

That would explain why you can only get one piece of armor a week. Making armor takes work and, ugh, she just can't even with all that.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Dawning starts tomorrow and the game remains unplayable since shortly after they opened the forges. On that basis, for me it's the worst DLC they've released.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    What really needs to happen is when you ignite the final Forge, the side panel on it pops open and Zavala steps out with a "Hello, guardian"

jefe414 wrote: »
    Dawning starts tomorrow and the game remains unplayable since shortly after they opened the forges. On that basis, for me it's the worst DLC they've released.

how is it unplayable?

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    People keep calling Ada-1 racist, and I really don't think that's the right idea, the vibe I'm getting is she's basically like "fuck the space police"

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    After 24 runs (23 of them in the last two days) of Strange Terrain Nightfall, I finally got the Osprey! I only need the EP sniper and I'll be past 100% of the RNG for the Wayfarer title!

My fireteam became extremely efficient at that strike.

People keep calling Ada-1 racist, and I really don't think that's the right idea, the vibe I'm getting is she's basically like "fuck the space police"

The analogue isn't really racism but it is true that nobody ever chose to be a Guardian. You just get resurrected and told you are now, deal with it. At times she hints at hating Guardians because of their actions but then goes right back to bitching about if somebody died or not before. Some of it is there is just so little to go on right now.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

how is it unplayable?

There is an issue in my region of the U.S. where anything with matchmaking causes constant disconnection errors. It's super weird because it's only an issue with D2.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

What purpose does LL serve besides a “you must be this tall to ride” sign? Difficulty is measured by the maximum light value of the content, not the character. Everything gets normalized so you aren’t breezing through the older shit.

I also don’t really understand why they would dangle a $35 expansion pass in front of me and then tell me I can’t play it until I get another 60+ LLs. I might have bought it, but Bungie set up the first one to be completely out of reach for newer and casual players.

I’m sure a lot of people bought into Forsaken the same time I did, during holiday discounts. Don’t they want us to buy more of their stuff? Instead they’ve told us to hit the road and there’s no indication the next two content drops will be any different. I was on the fence about buying it and immediate access to new stuff might have pushed me over the line. But I guess they don’t want anymore of my money.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

What purpose does LL serve besides a “you must be this tall to ride” sign? Difficulty is measured by the maximum light value of the content, not the character. Everything gets normalized so you aren’t breezing through the older shit.

I also don’t really understand why they would dangle a $35 expansion pass in front of me and then tell me I can’t play it until I get another 60+ LLs. I might have bought it, but Bungie set up the first one to be completely out of reach for newer and casual players.

I’m sure a lot of people bought into Forsaken the same time I did, during holiday discounts. Don’t they want us to buy more of their stuff? Instead they’ve told us to hit the road and there’s no indication the next two content drops will be any different. I was on the fence about buying it and immediate access to new stuff might have pushed me over the line. But I guess they don’t want anymore of my money.

Destiny has a history of using PL as a means of making content more difficult when you first engage with it. The forges will be basically trivial once everyone doing them is 630+ so making them 625+ now means people have to work harder to complete them.

Obviously you could just make every encounter be as difficult as you want it to be but that's apparently now Bungie's design philosophy. For some reason they like things to start out impossibly hard and then end up being not very difficult.

edited December 2018

i'm making a lot of assumptions here but I think the logic behind it is that the most important thing for Destiny's success is having a large number of players engaged for a long period of time. They tried something close to minimal/no grinding for content access in D2 vanilla, and it failed. People stopped playing very quickly. Now there's plenty of other reasons why I think that experiment was flawed but it seems like that's the conclusion they came to.

So with the D2 Annual Pass, the idea is is that even if there are players who can't do Black Armory now, they are still more likely to keep playing destiny and stay 'in the game' if there's stuff they might be able to do in the future rather than just 4 forges they can do right now. It's less important that you have something compelling to do now, and more important that you have a carrot dangling to keep you playing in the future.

So the gambit is that more people care about having a goal they can work towards than some small amount of content they can actually play and complete now.

And judging by my friends list compared to Osiris launch, they're right.

DodgeBlan on

how is it unplayable?

There is an issue in my region of the U.S. where anything with matchmaking causes constant disconnection errors. It's super weird because it's only an issue with D2.

oh wow, that sucks. didn't see any mention of it crawling through DTG chrono. Though I did find this post about some poor soul who bagged 11 energy weapons in 13 powerful drops. ouch.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I know people would rage and rage, I know, but I'd be fine if they gave everyone a spark of light every time an expansion dropped so that you could start one character at the last level cap; starting Black Armory at 600 and having to grind up again was painful but I can't imagine being sub-600 and looking up even higher.

I mean I haven't touched my hunter since Foresaken dropped because who the fuck has time for all of that (and some of you do and bless your hearts) and I play a few hours every day, I think a system like that would be pretty A-ok with 90% of the playerbase (which incidentally would be a lot bigger if they made any steps towards making the game accessible to teh casuals).

Peen on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Ll allows players who are higher skilled to accomplish things faster than those who aren’t

Doing a harder set of content under leveled gets you those rewards quicker and access to the next tier of content quicker

It’s an incentive to play the game at a higher difficulty.

I personally like it. My fondest Pve memories are doing things week 1 when I am still under leveled for it

Yet I’m also glad to go back and rock that content on rim over leveled

616610-1.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So with the D2 Annual Pass, the idea is is that even if there are players who can't do Black Armory now, they are still more likely to keep playing destiny and stay 'in the game' if there's stuff they might be able to do in the future rather than just 4 forges they can do right now. It's less important that you have something compelling to do now, and more important that you have a carrot dangling to keep you playing in the future.

So the gambit is that more people care about having a goal they can work towards than some small amount of content they can actually play and complete now.

And judging by my friends list compared to Osiris launch, they're right.
    Ideally, they should have both. Immediate stuff to do followed by carrots. With these DLC being just DLC and not expansions, I guess they just don't have the resources for both and had to choose one?

Mm.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Peen wrote: »
    I know people would rage and rage, I know, but I'd be fine if they gave everyone a spark of light every time an expansion dropped so that you could start one character at the last level cap; starting Black Armory at 600 and having to grind up again was painful but I can't imagine being sub-600 and looking up even higher.

I mean I haven't touched my hunter since Foresaken dropped because who the fuck has time for all of that (and some of you do and bless your hearts) and I play a few hours every day, I think a system like that would be pretty A-ok with 90% of the playerbase (which incidentally would be a lot bigger if they made any steps towards making the game accessible to teh casuals).

The sparks they give out should also really count as having completed the various campaigns and shit, too. It's really lame to use the spark and then have to go suffer through the CoO campaign to unlock doing stuff on Mercury.

Destiny has a history of using PL as a means of making content more difficult when you first engage with it. The forges will be basically trivial once everyone doing them is 630+ so making them 625+ now means people have to work harder to complete them.

Obviously you could just make every encounter be as difficult as you want it to be but that's apparently now Bungie's design philosophy. For some reason they like things to start out impossibly hard and then end up being not very difficult.

Because that's like basic game design? Especially for an RPG?

Do thing, get numbers to make you more powerful, be able to do thing better and easier and also maybe do a new thing you couldn't before. That's like the heart and soul of a ton of types of videogames, especially those that are RPGs or have RPG elements.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    079e774f-f914-48a1-acb0-4e5009e3a3a5_Thumbnail.PNG

*flops*

smCQ5WE.jpg

The analogue isn't really racism but it is true that nobody ever chose to be a Guardian. You just get resurrected and told you are now, deal with it. At times she hints at hating Guardians because of their actions but then goes right back to bitching about if somebody died or not before. Some of it is there is just so little to go on right now.

Nobody chooses to be raised by a ghost. But you definitely choose to be a guardian.

From the stuff I've seen so far I don't know what she has against guardians but I don't see anything wrong with the idea that someone would have something against them.

Shit, Mara Sov is not exactly enamored of Guardians or the Traveller for various reasons that aren't crazy.

• awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    The first forge should've launched at 550, the second at 600, the raid at 600, the remaining forges at 625+, and bump up the soft cap to 550 at minimum.

There is zero reason to gate off so much content.

Yeah. I'm fine with a DLC that's entirely an expansion to endgame content— heck, as someone who spends most of his time on end-game activities, it's practically tailored to me and the people I play with. But I don't want to blow another week or two playing the old endgame I'm getting bored of before I get to play the new endgame and get rad new loot.

Also, I'm about to give D2 to my brother for Xmas, and at this rate it'll be summertime before he's anywhere near end-game ready.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Light level as an optional slider you can bring up and down whenever you want. Everyone is max level, whatever that is, from the go, but you have a five of swords menu that can work anywhere.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Light level as an optional slider you can bring up and down whenever you want. Everyone is max level, whatever that is, from the go, but you have a five of swords menu that can work anywhere.
    People would pick the lowest Power level they could to get the loot they want and bail faster than Osiris :(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    The pretty steep grind to content ratio has made it really easy for me to just ignore the PL treadmill altogether and focus on PvP, Gambit, etc. Now that I've unlocked the HMG, I'm not sure that I care all that much about the other forges.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    For everyone with questions about the lore regarding Ada and the forges - if you don't mind reading data mined lore-it is already out there. Just search "black armory lore reddit" in Google and it should pop up. Like 96 pages of all the lore cards added (not all of it specifically dealing with the black armory). I linked it awhile back but am too lazy to find it.

As far as how she lost a forge...
    From what I recall, the forges (at least some of them) were designed to be mobile so they could be set up in different places as needed. So it could literally get stolen/moved. This also ties into some spoiler stuff about Ada that I'm sure we will find out when the Niobe Labs stuff comes out.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Elki wrote: »

Which was a thing for D1 story missions.

Though giving more powerful rewards for harder content has the issue that those seeking the challenge will more quickly outlevel it.