As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Early Access is live. Please mark spoilers. God speed, Freelancers.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    nvm

ObiFett on
  • Options
    SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    I never really heard much about this game but I got an invitation to register for alpha. I guess it's like Warframe/Destiny with jetpacks and power armor?

I've been looking for an MMO adjacent experience and I feel like it's too late to get into Destiny 2, this looks like a potential alternative.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SledGod wrote: »
    I never really heard much about this game but I got an invitation to register for alpha. I guess it's like Warframe/Destiny with jetpacks and power armor?

I've been looking for an MMO adjacent experience and I feel like it's too late to get into Destiny 2, this looks like a potential alternative.

You have the right of it. Though combat is more destiny than warframe from what we've seen in preview.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We've seen enough gameplay videos that I'm certainly intrigued. There are a bunch of things I want them to dig into that they're still being coy about; finalizing the microtransaction system (yes, yes, they've said we won't pay for power, that it'll all be cosmetic, I still want to know WHAT will be for sale, specifically, and how much it will cost, specifically), guild/clan/social functionality, deeper detail on Strongholds/"Endgame", stuff like that.

Things that I'm sure they'll go into detail about soon, given that it all goes live in ~2.5 months, and while I'm sure some specifics are being finalized still, there's also an element of 'we've all played this game before, gotta save stuff for the last month or so marketing push', so I have faith we'll hear plenty in the near future, it's just the waiting with baited breath part. Letting enough days fly by to finally get to the real meat of things.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    We've seen enough gameplay videos that I'm certainly intrigued. There are a bunch of things I want them to dig into that they're still being coy about; finalizing the microtransaction system (yes, yes, they've said we won't pay for power, that it'll all be cosmetic, I still want to know WHAT will be for sale, specifically, and how much it will cost, specifically), guild/clan/social functionality, deeper detail on Strongholds/"Endgame", stuff like that.

Things that I'm sure they'll go into detail about soon, given that it all goes live in ~2.5 months, and while I'm sure some specifics are being finalized still, there's also an element of 'we've all played this game before, gotta save stuff for the last month or so marketing push', so I have faith we'll hear plenty in the near future, it's just the waiting with baited breath part. Letting enough days fly by to finally get to the real meat of things.

I'm not too worried we don't know the full thing yet. I actually prefer when game companies don't blitz me with the entire game before it releases I like to have fun discovering things!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Perhaps I was unclear; I'm not worried about anything. I'm simply eager to know specifics.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Like I can't believe that people would be dumb
    enough to not read the entire NDA and risk losing access to all their
    games just because
    it gets them
    tons of internet points.

Going into the alpha it was clear that it was an
    old version
    of the game made purely to test the
    durability of the servers.

Obi, your slam poetry is getting pretty esoteric.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Like I can't believe that people would be dumb
    enough to not read the entire NDA and risk losing access to all their
    games just because
    it gets them
    tons of internet points.

Going into the alpha it was clear that it was an
    old version
    of the game made purely to test the
    durability of the servers.

Obi, your slam poetry is getting pretty esoteric.

Finally someone gets that
    I was just trying to
    re-iterate the
    super important
    things I learned.

Luckily I can count on a fellow
    esoteric and
    thoughtful poster like you
    to put the
    energy into truly
    reading my words.

• Options
    Hey, Obi, you dropped something.

Here, let me help.

There... just right.

iz1x44mnlgzm.png

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Turns out the bit about the streamer who lost their whole library after streaming Anthem is only technically true. Seems there's a clip on twitch early in the stream where he adds the Anthem alpha to his library; before he does so, his library is shown to be empty. So literally nothing of value was lost.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Oh, well then that's much ado about nothing.

Unless they go after any other library he might have, but if he created an account strictly to break the NDA with, I'm hoping/thinking he might have been smart enough to compartmentalize it away unless they're particularly determined.

I mean, he streams, figuring out who he 'really is' probably isn't too tough, but at the same time, how much time and manpower do they throw at someone over something this stupid remains in question.

Given the ire EA and Bioware have gotten (deserved and otherwise) over the years, maybe a slap on the wrist will suffice. No point digitally martyr'ing the guy either.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Make sure to take the survey about the alpha and tell them that you had issues connecting. If you did. And if you get one. Should.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    GuilelessGuileless Registered User regular
    Sounds promising from the generalities I've seen from the alpha participants.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I took the opportunity to give them gameplay feedback about this months old build as well. They probably already know. They have to, right? But I have OPINIONS!

• Options
    As we know, the Anthem demo situation is something of a fractal recursive nightmare of 'what service are you on and what level of pre-order did you get and what console are you using and what time of day is it' or whatever. I'm sure genetic sampling would be involved if they could do it remotely.

But they have announced that along with the late January VIP Demo, there's also an early February Open Demo.
    Open Demo

Experience Anthem ahead of launch with the Open Demo from February 1–3, 2019 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Origin for PC. Anyone may participate in the Open Demo.

So, in a month and a half, players with pre-orders or Early Access shenanigans will get to play for a weekend, and a week later in early February it seems that everyone will get to give it a whirl.

I thought that would please some who have been on the fence, and would like to try some of it out before deciding whether or not to buy in.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Honestly, a demo that doesn't require a pre-order gives me a ton of confidence.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So after looking at the pre-order stuff, it looks like this Legion of Dawn edition is $20 extra for what is essentially 3 extra skins. That seems not-ideal.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So after looking at the pre-order stuff, it looks like this Legion of Dawn edition is $20 extra for what is essentially 3 extra skins. That seems not-ideal.

Deluxe editions are never worth it. Either they come with some skins which who cares, or they come with a special weapon or two which will outclassed within the first hour.

Or they come with a small amount of the in-game real-world currency which is only ever good enough to buy.....a skin or a special weapon that will be outclassed within the first hour.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you cowards aren't LEAKING enough

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So, there's this big fort wall, and you jump off it, and start to fly WHOOOSH and then you land, and there's enemies, and stuff to do, so you do it, and then more stuff shows up, and you open up on them with a gun BAMBAMBAMBAM and then you do it some more.

(Is he describing the Alpha? One of the Devstreams? We will never know.)

In retrospect, 3 extra skins and some starter gear or whatever might not have been worth the $20, but that'll mostly come down to just how much I love the armour variations it adds. I gave the Warframe dev's like $5 for a fiery cloak, 3 entire armour sets might be fine.

I'm in no way advocating that people pre-order or get the LoD edition. Just recognizing that if the precedent basically lands at $5 a skin in the microtransaction shop, I'd be generally okay with it.

Kind of ties into what I mentioned earlier, but looking forward to specifics. If there's going to be a hundred skin options at launch for $2 apiece, yeah, probably not anything resembling a 'deal'. If they're more like $10 apiece... yeah I might not mind getting someone unique for each Javelin at a bit of a discount. It is indeed asking for an uninformed purchase, but if that's the extent of EA's financial villainy here, I'd be kind of impressed.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I think we're all hoping that EA learned a real lesson from the Battlefront II shenanigans. It may be a short-term thing - and they may be back to the shadiest of shady shit in a year or so - but if Anthem can somehow be born into that window of EA trying to make amends and be a little less shady, I think that's a win.

The problem, of course, is that eventually Anthem will get its Eververse, and in Anthem II, that thing will be full-throttle. At that point, one can only hope that they are generous with doling out the lootboxes upon level gain. It's been a bit better in Destiny 2 than it was at launch - but I've lost all trust in Bungie after they monkeyed with xp gain/leveling requirement numbers and flat-out lied about balance adjustments and xp stuff.

Just... I get that making games is not easy. And making art and new assets is not easy. But hire more artists and put more money into your game and give us more interesting loot (instead of making it harder/more of a grind to access a very limited loot pool). It's basically, like, the point of the game.

Here's hoping Bioware gets that right. It certainly seems from the customization stuff that they are on the right track.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I think we're all hoping that EA learned a real lesson from the Battlefront II shenanigans. It may be a short-term thing - and they may be back to the shadiest of shady shit in a year or so - but if Anthem can somehow be born into that window of EA trying to make amends and be a little less shady, I think that's a win.

The problem, of course, is that eventually Anthem will get its Eververse, and in Anthem II, that thing will be full-throttle. At that point, one can only hope that they are generous with doling out the lootboxes upon level gain. It's been a bit better in Destiny 2 than it was at launch - but I've lost all trust in Bungie after they monkeyed with xp gain/leveling requirement numbers and flat-out lied about balance adjustments and xp stuff.

Just... I get that making games is not easy. And making art and new assets is not easy. But hire more artists and put more money into your game and give us more interesting loot (instead of making it harder/more of a grind to access a very limited loot pool). It's basically, like, the point of the game.

Here's hoping Bioware gets that right. It certainly seems from the customization stuff that they are on the right track.

If they can get the leveling/gear grind to feel good, with their release date they'll be in prime position to eat Bungie's lunch after a kind of disappointing Destiny 2 content drop and nothing big on the horizon until May 2019.

• Options
    Most companies are turning away from eververse stuff. Like there is a pretty hard backlash against that kind of stuff. Rockstar got shit immediately for RDR 2's online bad econ that seemed designed around selling RMT that they changed it, and this is rockstar!

I'm just asking for a little god damn faith arthur.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Most companies are turning away from eververse stuff. Like there is a pretty hard backlash against that kind of stuff. Rockstar got shit immediately for RDR 2's online bad econ that seemed designed around selling RMT that they changed it, and this is rockstar!

It's EA. They're going to be a total pack of fucks about it. Which is a shame because if the game tanks, Bioware is going out back to the same ditch that Bullfrog, Origin and Maxis wound up in.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

It's EA. They're going to be a total pack of fucks about it. Which is a shame because if the game tanks, Bioware is going out back to the same ditch that Bullfrog, Origin and Maxis wound up in.

EA is having to play nice right now specifically because of their rep. Like I get that we've been hurt before, but they got burned on battlefront 2. And they were out front saying "cosmetics only" for RMTs.

Worrying about future not actually in the game and specifically not going to be in the game announcements from the devs is just silly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Deluxe editions are never worth it. Either they come with some skins which who cares, or they come with a special weapon or two which will outclassed within the first hour.

Or they come with a small amount of the in-game real-world currency which is only ever good enough to buy.....a skin or a special weapon that will be outclassed within the first hour.

Lots of folks care, that's why cosmetics are premium items now.

Also, ME3 deluxe came with an N7 hoodie for Shepard which was worth the price alone :P
    OK, not really, but ME3 Deluxe edition did feel worth it to me

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Lots of folks care, that's why cosmetics are premium items now.

Also, ME3 deluxe came with an N7 hoodie for Shepard which was worth the price alone :P
    OK, not really, but ME3 Deluxe edition did feel worth it to me

I'm just referring to getting two or three cosmetic items for "free", not cosmetic items as a whole

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

EA is actually being one of the better behaved ones right now because of just how bad the backlash against Battlefront II was.

Now in a year's time, I expect the avalanche of loot crates to come a-crashin' down the mountain.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

EA is having to play nice right now specifically because of their rep. Like I get that we've been hurt before, but they got burned on battlefront 2. And they were out front saying "cosmetics only" for RMTs.

Worrying about future not actually in the game and specifically not going to be in the game announcements from the devs is just silly.

Tons of people do cosmetics only these days because it's not like people don't pay assloads of money for cosmetics anyway and it's better PR.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Tons of people do cosmetics only these days because it's not like people don't pay assloads of money for cosmetics anyway and it's better PR.

Exactly its better PR AND money. There is zero good reason in 2018/19 to ever have gameplay come from RMTS.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

Yeah, sorry. My gameplay footage (the accompanying commentary was mostly to record my thoughts and impressions of the game while I was playing it) has my account info splashed all over the screen. And I'd rather not lose my Origin library.

And, truth be told, the videos came in real handy for the feedback survey they sent out.

EDIT - also, thinking about it....

Don't we have a Bioware dude who's active on these forums? Yeah...no thanks.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The forums are often more easily searched on Google than within the forums themselves (in my experience). One would need to be pretty dumb to talk too openly, potential forum members or not.

Though I expect Reddit is the community getting far more attention if they're actively seeking out idiots deserving of a warning or punishment.

Forar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yeah, sorry. My gameplay footage (the accompanying commentary was mostly to record my thoughts and impressions of the game while I was playing it) has my account info splashed all over the screen. And I'd rather not lose my Origin library.

And, truth be told, the videos came in real handy for the feedback survey they sent out.

EDIT - also, thinking about it....

Don't we have a Bioware dude who's active on these forums? Yeah...no thanks.

I believe Gnome was being facetious.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh...in that case, disregard everything I said. I most certainly do not have recorded gameplay footage with accompanying commentary.

>.>

<.<

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Oh...in that case, disregard everything I said. I most certainly do not have recorded gameplay footage with accompanying commentary.

>.>

<.<

:o

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    How loose or tight is the NDA? Are you prohibited from saying anything at all, like you couldn't even say "the moment to moment gameplay feels good/bad/okay," or just from divulging specifics?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    How loose or tight is the NDA? Are you prohibited from saying anything at all, like you couldn't even say "the moment to moment gameplay feels good/bad/okay," or just from divulging specifics?
    Forar wrote: »
    A snippet from an Email from EA, titled “Important Reminders before the Anthem Closed Alpha”
    Please remember that everything in this Alpha is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. This means no posting, sharing, or streaming on social media or anywhere else.

They were pretty explicit.

Basically, those of us that were in the Alpha can say "I was in the Alpha test".

That's it.

The test was explicitly a load balancing thing, and I believe the email or blog post noted that the build they sent us was a few months old with a bunch of features/mechanics stripped out. Judging the game based on that in anything resembling an informed manner would be a crazy assertion.

Forar on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

EA is actually being one of the better behaved ones right now because of just how bad the backlash against Battlefront II was.

Now in a year's time, I expect the avalanche of loot crates to come a-crashin' down the mountain.

I suspect that they envy Fortnite far more than they care about the BF2 backlash, but yeah... Pay-to-win seems like much less of a concern now than it did a couple of years.

That being said, I honestly would rather see pay-to-win items like crafting mats sold at exorbitant prices than for cosmetics to be expensive. If developers want to make their money preying on whales by selling minor power boosts, well... there's suckers born every minute. But FFS, don't make it too expensive for me to play Dress Up Dolls as part of the endgame.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

I suspect that they envy Fortnite far more than they care about the BF2 backlash, but yeah... Pay-to-win seems like much less of a concern now than it did a couple of years.

That being said, I honestly would rather see pay-to-win items like crafting mats sold at exorbitant prices than for cosmetics to be expensive. If developers want to make their money preying on whales by selling minor power boosts, well... there's suckers born every minute. But FFS, don't make it too expensive for me to play Dress Up Dolls as part of the endgame.

If it would stay as that I agree, but Shadow of War and Battlefront II (and Dungeon Keeper Mobile, which I only bring up because it was put out by EA) show us that publishers won't leave it at that and will happily make the entire game feel absolutely awful if you aren't shelling out regular infusions of cash to try and get some of that sweet sweet extra moolah.

Now in a free to play game, I'm a lot more tolerant, because time vs. cash is the tradeoff you accept when you go into those games. But they're, you know, free. I have a much lower threshold of acceptable bullshit for games with $60 price tags.

• Options
    Shadow of War actually reversed their P2W system eventually as well.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.