As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: Dance Like Nobody's Shooting (At You)

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Now we reach the point in our program in which the OP begins compulsively checking the page count every hour for a week.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    People keep calling Ada-1 racist, and I really don't think that's the right idea, the vibe I'm getting is she's basically like "fuck the space police"

See, I read the Ada-1 stuff as class conflict, rather than race conflict. Guardians are a highly privileged class within the City, who wield outsized influence despite being a distinct minority. (And there's ample evidence of Guardians abusing that authority and power.)

Ada-1 sees herself and the Black Armory as a check against their power, offering the 'privilege' of high-tech armament to those who don't already have their own (i.e., Light-bearers).

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    The pretty steep grind to content ratio has made it really easy for me to just ignore the PL treadmill altogether and focus on PvP, Gambit, etc. Now that I've unlocked the HMG, I'm not sure that I care all that much about the other forges.

The sniper from the second forge can roll with kill clip and since it's the highest impact available, a kill-clip shot with it is a one-shot to the body. That's PvP relevant :o

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    People keep calling Ada-1 racist, and I really don't think that's the right idea, the vibe I'm getting is she's basically like "fuck the space police"

See, I read the Ada-1 stuff as class conflict, rather than race conflict. Guardians are a highly privileged class within the City, who wield outsized influence despite being a distinct minority. (And there's ample evidence of Guardians abusing that authority and power.)

Ada-1 sees herself and the Black Armory as a check against their power, offering the 'privilege' of high-tech armament to those who don't already have their own (i.e., Light-bearers).

It's a much more simple reason why she hates/dislikes them according to the lore. She was around before them to begin with...

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Its pretty obvious from just the brief writing of the intro when you meet her that she's an uber-elitest hate-shunning another elitest group. I wouldn't make more out of it but I'm stuck only with the opening and no idea if more comes later.

Edit: like, for all her talk about providing others with some of the privilege guardians are flippantly given, I'm betting she's not talking Charity or working-wage price tags.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Short raid review: second best of D2 after Last Wish. And it might be my favorite of the small raids, D1 or D2.

Looking forward to seeing how it breaks, once people find the cracks.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Players could hit max level in literally three activities during House of Wolves.

Fun times!

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Is there any evidence weapons are kept from non-Guardians? I would think the Guardians power is in their immortality residing in the little dude in their knapsack, not a Suros Regime.

Aren't the factions, presumably the biggest powers in the City, powers that employ Guardians, run by non-Guardians?

I know, I know, Bungo + why do we play this game.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Players could hit max level in literally three activities during House of Wolves.

Fun times!

Yeah the grind for level being this insane, arduous thing was added with Forsaken. Even in Warmind it was not that bad to hit 385.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Is there any evidence weapons are kept from non-Guardians? I would think the Guardians power is in their immortality residing in the little dude in their knapsack, not a Suros Regime.

Aren't the factions, presumably the biggest powers in the City, powers that employ Guardians, run by non-Guardians?

The forge was created to supply weapons to people to help fight back during the collapse, before guardians/risen. After some events concerning the newly risen, Ada has no desire to share with them from that point forward.

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a

I think the implication isn't that the Vanguard is keeping guns away from non-Guardians (Tex Mechanica, at least, is buddies with Amanda Holiday, who is not a Guardian so it seems fair to assume that Suros, Veist, and Omnomnom are similar). Rather, Black Armory weapons are better than Guardian weapons and are reserved for non-Guardians because Guardians have enough power as it is.

Factions - at least those with representation in the Tower - are run by Guardians, so far as I know. The thing that makes them 'Factions' in the first place is their different takes on what is the best way to use the Traveler's Light.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Well, yeah, I meant Guardian firepower as in their powers and stuff.

Although presumably, a lot of the more powerful weapons are only offered to Guardians (like Gjallarhorn), or can only be obtained by an immortal planet-hopper with the time and resources to gather various components from deceased demi-gods (Touch of Malice, Necrochasm) or space pirate cyber-lords (Outbreak Prime). I can't imagine a lot of non-Guardians are crawling into the Hellmouth to gather weapon parts.

awsimo on
    edited December 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

Fun times!

Yeah the grind for level being this insane, arduous thing was added with Forsaken. Even in Warmind it was not that bad to hit 385.

Hard disagree. Warmind was when they 'slowed down' progression. The grind to 385 was incredibly slow if you didn't have all of the raid drops to power you along. I played regularly but stopped raiding sometime before CoO came out. Getting all of the solo-able PL boosts every week (so not raids or the nightfall) most weeks I didn't make it to 385 before Solstice of Heroes.

CptHamilton on
    I don't mind what they're doing with Black Armory but I'll admit I would have enjoyed it more if they'd just had forges and vendors for the weapon foundries we already had. I would have enjoyed the GI Joe Hakke guy, the ultra-tech future obsessed Omolon guy, the 1950s retro future SUROs guy, the giant cowboy hat Tex Mechanica guy, and the offputting Veist guy with a giant snake draped over his shoulders that hangs around the others but that none of them really like that right now only live in my head.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Eh prime engrams mean I can level
    Up my way if I want. I’d say the drums is far more relaxed now. You don’t HAVE to raid

616610-1.png
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Eh prime engrams mean I can level
    Up my way if I want. I’d say the drums is far more relaxed now. You don’t HAVE to raid

I love it when you cutest molaihts

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't mind what they're doing with Black Armory but I'll admit I would have enjoyed it more if they'd just had forges and vendors for the weapon foundries we already had. I would have enjoyed the GI Joe Hakke guy, the ultra-tech future obsessed Omolon guy, the 1950s retro future SUROs guy, the giant cowboy hat Tex Mechanica guy, and the offputting Veist guy with a giant snake draped over his shoulders that hangs around the others but that none of them really like that right now only live in my head.

I didn't know Jalaal was a Veist rep too, but it makes sense.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL

goddammit I really want this now

I didn't know Jalaal was a Veist rep too, but it makes sense.

Oh fuck the Veist guy would totally be Jalaal's cousin.

I'm going to write a too long Reddit post about this, be back in a few.

Zavala: "And next on the afternoon agenda is...Traveler save us, a new equipment demonstration from Veist. Okay, Preston, what have you got today?"

Jalaal's cousin Preston: "I call it Poisssssssson Ssssssssshimmer!"

Pour one out for Veist, all of their guns look cool and sound cool and suck ass, except for their linear fusion rifles which are very good.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I don't mind Ada-1 yet.
    I do wish she had some fucking problems being on her first iteration still. I want full on crazypants robot problems.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I don't mind Ada-1 yet.
    I do wish she had some fucking problems being on her first iteration still. I want full on crazypants robot problems.

I thought the problems only came during later iterations.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    As I read it, they tended to go insane for a variety of reasons. Most of them to do with being a robot.

Sucks to be the exo who wasn't built to pretend to breathe. This is like the Shadowrun cyborg problem, where too many robot bits would necessitate a brain implant designed to remind the cyborg that they were still alive, else they'd suffer spontaneous existence failure.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Fun times!

Hard disagree. Warmind was when they 'slowed down' progression. The grind to 385 was incredibly slow if you didn't have all of the raid drops to power you along. I played regularly but stopped raiding sometime before CoO came out. Getting all of the solo-able PL boosts every week (so not raids or the nightfall) most weeks I didn't make it to 385 before Solstice of Heroes.

That's fair, I was doing prestige Calus and normal EoW every week during Warmind so I was getting plenty of drops and can't speak to your experience. My point was really that the light grind being an awful slog isn't an inherent feature of D2 and I don't know why they're fetishizing it so.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    My Titan has managed to get almost all his possible powerfuls and none of them were class items.

:-1::-1::-1:

Trash system.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    My class item is lagging pretty hard behind everything else. All of my stuff is well into the 550s, and my boots and bond are stuck at 540ish.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Fun times!

That's fair, I was doing prestige Calus and normal EoW every week during Warmind so I was getting plenty of drops and can't speak to your experience. My point was really that the light grind being an awful slog isn't an inherent feature of D2 and I don't know why they're fetishizing it so.

because they have come to the conclusion people stopped playing because there wasn’t enough tedious grind

they’ve almost literally said as much

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Mayhem begins tomorrow

Get your grenade launchers

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I don't mind Ada-1 yet.

I thought the problems only came during later iterations.

Dissociative Exomind Rejection was a disorder of the mind rejecting the exo body and basically killing itself.

Reboots would occur as a way to prevent the rejection by rebooting and presumably clearing the cache of crazy bonkersness.

They estimated that 20 reboots would be on the high end, so Banshee is well beyond that. But it's interesting to consider what it is about Ada-1 and Lakshmi-2 why they have been able to exist for so long without a reboot.

Reboots will totally jack an Exo up (see Banshee), but the idea that reboots were going to strictly be necessary to help prevent DER, and yet…

In my opinion if Ada-1's consciousness is so easily able to be transferred into an Exo and has survived for as long as she has (which if she's not a Guardian and thus hasn't been brought back) she's centuries old, it's because yo something is wrong with this lady even the best of us need to reboot and recharge by a trip to the beach every now and then.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't know why Bungie loves pure RNG so goddamn much but it's almost always a bad choice in games. Especially video games where it's easy to adjust stuff on the fly.

The power leveling system needs way more consistency. The complete randomness adds nothing to the experience.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I dunno it’s pretty funny when you queue for forge and see someone who is 608 with all gear at 615 and one piece at 600

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Fun times!

Because leveling your light up gives you a consistent tangible goal to work on and the longer that takes, the longer you still have that thing to work on.

Vanilla D2 is the result of making the leveling experience too short: it leaves the players with nothing to do. So they leave. "I like playing Destiny 2 but there's nothing worth doing right now" was basically the theme song of most of D2 Y1.

shryke wrote: »

Fun times!

Vanilla D2 is the result of making the leveling experience too short: it leaves the players with nothing to do. So they leave. "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" was basically the theme song of most of D2 Y1.

Fixed tho

edited December 2018
    D2 vanilla was definitely 'too little to do and no reason to do it'.

I feel like they've gone too far the other way. It takes a significant number of hours of play to do everything for the week on even one character. Doing it all gets you leveled up at what I feel like is a reasonable rate, though how that rate relates to the level of available content is a bit hinky in my opinion. But it really is a bit too much stuff.

CptHamilton on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's a balance between "nothing to do" and "I literally can't do the new expansion content I paid for because they stuck the grind at the front end of the experience and not the tail end where people expect the grind to start"

edited December 2018
    So there was this drug dealer, right, and they had just released a new type of drug. It was very popular, but it turned out more addictive than they were intending. It turned out it was really addictive. The drug dealer made a lot of money, but they had a conscience. They felt guilty. So they tried to make a new batch of their drug. They tried to tone down the addictiveness level from heroin to cocaine. But when the customers tried this new drug, they became very angry. They were like 'what is this garbage, give me something I can feel!' At first the dealer tried to alter the flavor, but the customers could not be pacified. So eventually the dealer said 'fuck this, you want heroin i'll make SUPER-heroin'. And the customers rejoiced, because they got that high back that they were chasing.

and that dealer's name was Luke Smith

DodgeBlan on

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Weapon rolls, armor perks, triumphs, pinnacle weapons, nightfall scoring, collections and so forth give players a lot more to do in Y2 instead of Y1. Every new weapon drop can be something unique and special.

The weapon system, faster time-to-kill, buffed exotics, buffed supers, and faster movement means the core gameplay is way more fun too.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I dunno it’s pretty funny when you queue for forge and see someone who is 608 with all gear at 615 and one piece at 600

My Titan has 631 weapons and a 600 class item now.

Sirialis on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Weapon rolls, armor perks, triumphs, pinnacle weapons, nightfall scoring, collections and so forth give players a lot more to do in Y2 instead of Y1. Every new weapon drop can be something unique and special.

The weapon system, faster time-to-kill, buffed exotics, buffed supers, and faster movement means the core gameplay is way more fun too.

the problem with all this randomness that’s supposed to make me want to play more and chase things is nearly all of it is so completely random that it seems entirely pointless to waste my time chasing any of it

and the tedious power grind that’s supposed to make me keep playing because chasing the carrot is the one true fun and there’s no way i could just enjoy playing the content itself just results in me burning out in the grind and really not wanting to do it anymore

the entire game feels to me like a giant waste of time now and i actually feel bad putting any significant amount of time into it and looking back to see that i actually accomplished absolutely nothing and if i start over tomorrow it’s still entirely likely i will put in a bunch more time to accomplish absolutely nothing

Allegedly a voice of reason.