As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    It's always interesting to see people react to the game. Just make sure you persevere. Routes A&B only get you 50% of the game.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I know that part of it.

I saw a lot of contention about the game on hard. I feel like hard is pretty much the ideal way to play for me. I did normal for the intro kind of by accident but glad I did from what I learned.

It was a shock when I noticed things would near wipe me out in one hit at first. But I quickly realized I just needed to not get hit. Which for the most part, isn't a hard thing to do. As long as I don't try to go gung ho in on enemies and expect to dodge everything AND kill. This really hit home around the second major boss. That was also the last time I wasn't somewhat overleveled. It is true though once you really start getting a chance to work with the chips system you can make hard becomes incredibly manageable. I also kind of got caught doing a ton of sidequests right around what I think is the middle of route A and now was like 6+ levels above everything. I need to just commit to getting to the first ending at this point. This is like, the first game with non story quests that I actually actively LOVE to do though. I enjoy the game itself to death, and everything giving me a reason to just work with it in different ways, or flat out experience it has been a joy.

For the spoilery parts
    The whole adam birth and fight bit was the first thing in the game to catch me off guard definitely. I somehow avoided any major spoilers outside of obvious shit like A2 and 9S being playable at some point and stuff. Also was when the difficulty first hit as hard. I think I needed to do that fight about 15 times? Which I didn't mind at all. However I did NOT understand the full aspect of the corpse retrieval thing yet. I knew you had to get it or lose chips, but when the boss fight put you right back at it instead of a save point, I figured it also was skipping the corpse retrieval aspect for some reason. I got lucky on this boss and happened to reload a save in the latter half of my attempts and started noticing the corpse and getting it for the HP heal, but still didn't "get" I was losing chips.

The amusement park boss though? I need to say first that might be the moment in the game I got sucked in to the experience. I was playing that at night with headphones. That fight took me like 40+ attempts on hard. In addition, so far that has been THE best scripted fight in the game. The whole thing plays out so amazingly. I did lose a corpse here because when I died in the first half, it was stuck under her body and I died again before I could move her. I didn't know yet I could reload my save so I lost some choice chips there. That might have been why it took so many attempts after. Since most of those attempts were the second half, that meant I was killing those corpses a lot. I got a few levels off that alone, but also a TON of the drop rate up chips. This is what kind of skyrocketed me into solid chip setups. That and her dropping a great weapon damage up +4.

After doing the sort of Adam and Eve fight thing, thats when I got sucked into side quests. Unlike most in this thread it would seem, I loved the races. The third one got me for a bit but I knew beforehand that you actually pick up speed if you run on ground for a time. So I focused more on a short land path and found that idea route. I just barely pulled it off but got it in like 6 attempts. The second one took me longer because I was going for a wrong route for a while.

Then I got sucked into that parade quest. Oh my gosh. That is why I am overleveled. I gained 6 levels trying that over and over. Also a ton of weapon damage up chips. I finished that around level 30 with 2 +4 weapon damage chips with a low cost. I hadn't even started the flooded city part which was like level 20. Yikes. I also did everything I could in the forrest because I thought Emil was there. Then found out he just randomly appears in the city.

So now I shot through the flooded city parts and the shmupping was awesome. Then did the block city and beat Adam without much issue (like 2 deaths). I just now finished up the BECOME AS GODS factory and that is where I am at. Hoping to get through route A without being sidetracked now.

In short, this is a very good game you know.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Picked this up on a whim, seemed interesting.
    DuGPwhnWoAI6Dd2.jpg

I think it's a novelization?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So I'm about halfway through Long Story Short, and... well, that's one accurate title. It's a very, VERY abridged version of Automata, and it suffers greatly for it. It adds almost nothing and takes away everything. I'd rather just play the game again.

Even the brief new bits about A2 and Adam/Eve don't contribute anything that the game doesn't cover in some form.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    About to finish the book I'm currently on and I'm thinking of jumping into this next. How long does it take to get through the campaign? Sounds like you have to play it twice? is the play through different? or can I just google the best ending lol.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    About to finish the book I'm currently on and I'm thinking of jumping into this next. How long does it take to get through the campaign? Sounds like you have to play it twice? is the play through different? or can I just google the best ending lol.

You play as different characters and get different perspectives, so it's pretty different. Maybe 30-40ish hours for all the endings?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

There's only one real repeat.

First you play route A. B is a retelling of the events of A. C,D, & E are totally new and intertwine with each other so you're not replaying large sections of something.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    So on a whim, I decided to replay Nier, and I'm reminded why I like it more than Automata. The world just feels more alive, like it's just more fully realized.

It doesn't have the Platinum Polish, but of course it doesn't, it's a Cavia game, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

EADSQtgW4AU4A_t?format=jpg&name=small
    Also, apparently The Lost Shrine is an apartment building or a high end hotel:

EADazQCXoAULNPM?format=jpg&name=small

wVEsyIc.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    This is finally on sale on steam. Anyone have any issues with the pc version?

edited July 2019
    On another whim... I finally picked up Grimoire Nier.

EAcXaV1XUAIaazp?format=jpg&name=medium

As I've heard, it's VERY wordy, and also doubles as a strategy guide.

Though it also includes some gorgeous art, and insane details, namely the weapon guides:

EAdKKOGWkAANcIa?format=jpg&name=small

For some reason, the story summaries include multiple translations, including the official one:
    EAdMODxXsAEyatl?format=jpg&name=small
    EAdNdDrWwAAn9Fi?format=jpg&name=medium

I'd love to see this localized(hi Udon), but it would be a MASSIVE undertaking.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    So, uh...
    EUQd3HBU0AA5Lxk?format=jpg&name=medium

Brother Nier is baaaaack:
    https://youtu.be/_sdn1B0N4k0

wVEsyIc.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OH fucking sweet! I never got a chance to play this!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Here's another one. Nier Re[in]carnation, for smart phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGmbdO3u7o

And, possibly related, Platinum Games is about to announce something on April 1st.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck YES

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Interested in a Nier Remake, wondering if it will include the weapon stories in game. But Brother Nier? Ugh, that might be enough to make me not want it...

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So it's going to be the Brother version? On the one hand, yeah I very much would like to play the version we never got. On the other hand, I'm not going to deny that old man father protagonist was a far more interesting dynamic that is rarely ever seen. Kinda hope there's an option, but if not... looking forward to that argument/war...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    So it's going to be the Brother version? On the one hand, yeah I very much would like to play the version we never got. On the other hand, I'm not going to deny that old man father protagonist was a far more interesting dynamic that is rarely ever seen. Kinda hope there's an option, but if not... looking forward to that argument/war...

Begun, the Papa Wars have.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    My concern is that if they're going forward with Brother Nier, they're going to have to re-voice and re-localize the entire game. Which means it might not be the same quality of the original.

It is a supremely Squeenix move.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So I played and loved Nier Automata, is this one likely to appeal to me? How much crossover is there between Gestalt and Replicant, will I be missing much from the former?

Oh brilliant
    So I played and loved Nier Automata, is this one likely to appeal to me? How much crossover is there between Gestalt and Replicant, will I be missing much from the former?

They're essentially the same story, but I think Nier has a much better story(and soundtrack) than Automata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zle1ZfxQc

The main difference is Brother is protecting his sister, and Papa is protecting his daughter, though events mid game have a different impact on Brother than Papa.

They also imply a bit more romance between Kaine and Brother.

wVEsyIc.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Nier: G/R have a ton more jank and not-platinum refined gameplay. Still a lot better than <shudder> Drakengard.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Since I own Grimoire Nier now, did some re-reading...
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vEP2iZ52P-DWhQBQ2Is6R8Wjao99AGi0YuWShTvA-tA/mobilebasic?viewopt=127

Heavy stuff, and spoilers for Endings A-D:
    -In ending A, B and C, Replicant Nier successfully saved Replicant Yonah, and still..?

Yokoo: Replicant Yonah and Nier remained, but since Gestalt Nier was killed by Replicant Nier, he couldn’t provide the stabilizing demonic element anymore, and all Gestalts will relapse eventually. If that happens, their respective Replicants cannot regenerate their bodies anymore. Also, the managers of the Replicant’s death and rebirth system, Devola and Popola were killed by Replicant Nier, so the replicants in that area will come to an end in this generation.

-In the end, Yonah won’t be saved?

Yokoo: Replicant Yonah’s Black Scrawl remained uncured, so the disease will proceed and kill her.

-What happens after Replicant Nier loses his existence in ending D?

Yokoo: Firstly, since the Black Scrawl isn’t cured, Yonah will still die.

-W-what about Kaine who survived?

Yokoo: She won’t die immediately, but since the Replicant System itself has become dysfunctional, she’ll eventually die.

-Hearing all that, I can’t help but think that everything Replicant Nier’s done has been in vain…

Yokoo: What you said. (laughs)

Eishima: Well, whichever ending you reach, it’s always “Yonah dies” “everyone dies”.(laughs)

Natori: Yes, that’s Yokoo’s world.(laughs)

Eishima: That’s why we had a multi-bad end system this time as well~♪

Mr. T: What, why is everyone so happy.

Eishima: Whatever Yokoo and his team come up will never conclude nicely. Actually, when I heard of these endings, I thought that he finally managed to conclude something in a relatively nice manner.

Natori: No matter how much of a happy end it is, or how much of a brilliant hero the main character is, it’s just a part of the bigger picture, and even us who are talking here today will eventually die. It’s all very normal.

-The word normal is pretty heavy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Cross posting from the Xbox thread

Picked up Nier again and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Just got to the amusement park and it's been a nice bizarre WTF. Took a bit to figure out a custom control scheme that feels good
    RT: evade
    RB: pod program
    LT: fire
    LB: lock on

Is there a rule of thumb for what counts as a low slot count for chips? I'm guessing I only want to fuse low slot chips but I'm not seeing any indicator of a range for a particular chip.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I took a break from the game and forgot what these nuts and bolts the enemies drop all the time actually do and and having no luck finding this information...help?

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I took a break from the game and forgot what these nuts and bolts the enemies drop all the time actually do and and having no luck finding this information...help?

Automata? Weapon upgrades, usually.

Also, some pics from the Nier remake were released:

wVEsyIc.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Automata, yeah. It's the orange transparent stuff you just walk over to collect. They don't seem to be a material listed in the inventory (I don't think, figure I'd have a ton of them).

Xeddicus on
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Automata, yeah. It's the orange transparent stuff you just walk over to collect. They don't seem to be a material listed in the inventory (I don't think, figure I'd have a ton of them).

Pretty sure that just translates to currency or XP.

wVEsyIc.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nier: G/R have a ton more jank and not-platinum refined gameplay. Still a lot better than <shudder> Drakengard.

Nier: Automata is far and away my favorite Platinum game to date, but I still call it "Invisible Walls: Automata" to my friends, and they know exactly what I mean.

I'm currently playing Automata, the orange screws are just money. XP is from kills or hacks or quest completions.

Speaking of Automata, a complement-criticism-complement sandwich for the weapon stories.

Compliment
    Thank God they are in game. Not bothering to put them in game in Nier 1 and having them be in a book released beside the game (that was never released in any region but JP) is such a trainwreck dev decision. Most super fans of Nier got this information from a famous Let's Play. That is bizarre.

Criticism
    Some of these are SO grimdark and tryhard, it's embarrassing. One of the spears goes on about how the android user of the weapon really liked to hear death screams. Okay, that fits in the general milieu of grimdark Nier sidestories. Fine. Part 3 is "she wanted to find a really good sound, the regular ones were very boring to her now." Part 4 then goes "She found the best sound of stabbing someone. Wow it was great. But she was so CUH-RAY-ZEE she didn't even realize that she was stabbing her OWN CHILD! Dun dun dun!!" That's stupid in like 30 ways. You didn't even tell us she had a child or anything like that until right now. The last part of your story being "then she kicked a dog and ate 10 babies" is not hard. Get over yourself, that's such a cliche.

Another trend is stories that go nowhere. Like another spear is the story of a sort of pop idol whose location comes under furious attack in part 3. It's very clear that they're overrun and she's headed for bad ending. Part 4? She... did indeed die. Wow. It sure was massive worth it to find all the rarest resources and pay the highest upgrade cost on the weapon for uh... that. Woop dee do.

Compliment
    Some of them are really good, though. The Part 4 on
    9S's
    starting sword was *chef's kiss*.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Nier: Automata is far and away my favorite Platinum game to date, but I still call it "Invisible Walls: Automata" to my friends, and they know exactly what I mean.

The first time I tried to play it, I somehow clipped through a wall in the tutorial boss fight and got stuck under the map, unable to do anything.

Weeks later, I gave it another try, having to go through the whole tutorial again. I made it past that and it dropped me into the empty city, where I immediately got lost, fell down an elevator shaft that took off 80% of my HP, and the camera went fucking berserk. It was pointed straight down and would spin every time I tried to move towards the ladder. After I escaped, I healed to half health and was pretty just fed up in general. So a random deer knocked me down, and as I was processing "Wait, what the fuck," another deer attacked me as I tried to dash away and that was enough for a game over.

I haven't tried to play Automata since then.

ztrEPtD.gif
    My biggest complaint about Automata is that despite being 'open world', it feels like it has less variety and atmosphere than the original Nier.

wVEsyIc.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It’s open world like FFxIII was open world

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It’s open world like FFxIII was open world

FFXIII was a good bit more varied in its environments, so at least there was that.

Nier: Automata is open world in the same way that 2004's Ninja Gaiden is open world: a series of interconnected arenas with various nooks and crannies. You go from one to another, and you can generally (though not always) revisit one to do something later in the game, so long as the little passage between them is still open.

Though in Nier: Automata, the arenas are admittedly larger ('cause, you know, the game didn't come out 16 years ago and ran entirely off a 9 gb DVD). Also there are way more invisible walls.
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

The first time I tried to play it, I somehow clipped through a wall in the tutorial boss fight and got stuck under the map, unable to do anything.

Weeks later, I gave it another try, having to go through the whole tutorial again. I made it past that and it dropped me into the empty city, where I immediately got lost, fell down an elevator shaft that took off 80% of my HP, and the camera went fucking berserk. It was pointed straight down and would spin every time I tried to move towards the ladder. After I escaped, I healed to half health and was pretty just fed up in general. So a random deer knocked me down, and as I was processing "Wait, what the fuck," another deer attacked me as I tried to dash away and that was enough for a game over.

I haven't tried to play Automata since then.

Yeah, Platinum sometimes doesn't think things through. It's still one of their more polished efforts.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    https://www.siliconera.com/yoko-taro-and-yosuke-saito-talk-about-how-the-nier-replicant-upgrade-started-and-why-toylogic/
    Yoko Taro wrote:
    I understand about not getting the ‘version upgrade’ thing. Same here. From this point onwards, therefore, I’d like to change it to the ‘illegally remodified version’. Illegally remodeling…. it must be nice.

uyvfOQy.png
    "You're free to expect whatever you want (from the remake). We're also free to ignore those expectations. We're all free!" He's such a troll, ha ha.

Not entirely sure what this is going to turn out as, but it looks great.

wVEsyIc.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So, I picked up Nier: Automata on the summer Steam sale, and enjoyed it, got an ending,

(not sure what spoiler rules are, but to be safe)
    I got the A ending, and I have no idea if the other endings are from playing through again, or making different choices. Like, I thought maybe the choice at the beginning when they said to set the auto detonate permission and I turned it off, was gonna play out somewhere, but it didn't seem to have any effect. In general, I thought a lot of the threads they introduced seem to not go anywhere. Like the whole rogue androids that we killed, or their mysterious leader 2A just seemed to be introduced then kinda forgot about. Even the whole discovery of machines in Pascal's village that were peaceful and full of emotions never seemed to hit 2B or 9S with the weight/ramifications that I thought it would.

Now, I admit that there were some quests I didn't get to (never did beat black belt Father Servo) or protecting the peaceful parade so maybe there was some character development there, but even towards the end 2B was still (at least verbally) denying that she felt Pascal had real emotions after having ample evidence that those that disconnect from the grid do have emotions.

Now I'm playing as 9S, and I'm finding it kinda dull. The hacking mini-games are meh, and I thought there would be more of a different viewpoint in 9S's storyline, but except for a few scenes while he's hacking bosses, there doesn't seem to be much extra. And just in general, the gameplay with 9S just repeatedly hacking is really kinda wearing thin on me. I even set 2B to aggressive, and her AI just seems happy to just follow next to me while I'm hacking instead of attacking the enemy at all.

I'm gonna try and stick with it a little while longer, and hope it improves.

Edit: This post turned into more of a downer than I wanted it to be. I really did like the 2B storyline for the most part, just the 9S part has just been rubbing me the wrong way. :(

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Keep playing. It all pays off at the end.