As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: Dance Like Nobody's Shooting (At You)

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Dang destiny gave chanus an existential crisis

I guess video games are art after all

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I still mourn the loss of the reforging feature in House of Wolves.

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I think he just inadvertently re-discovered MMO's. That can be very traumatic.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The random perk system on armour is just overwhelming. It's too many options thrown at you too randomly. Especially if you are trying to achieve a particular look (ie - the fashion endgame).

Weapons I actually think feel pretty solid in terms of randomness. Except maybe for the masterwork part. But that's cause weapons have far fewer options.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I think it's fair to point out that adding a long, artificial grind to existing game systems does not fix the inherent flaws in the game systems.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I still don't understand how they managed to make a mod system for guns and armor but don't allow us to slot perks into armor we like using it

Like what

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The random perk system on armour is just overwhelming. It's too many options thrown at you too randomly. Especially if you are trying to achieve a particular look (ie - the fashion endgame).

Weapons I actually think feel pretty solid in terms of randomness. Except maybe for the masterwork part. But that's cause weapons have far fewer options.

Not only that, but there are maybe 1 or 2 good ones per column so you end up with a lot of gear that's got completely worthless perks.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Grind is fine and absolutely something the game needs to keep them engaged

Players don't like feeling like achieving a goal should be more tedious/unrewarding than warranted. Like the first Forge is OK... But why did I have to grind so hard first few days to even tackle it? Why do I have to bust my chops doing old content to get close enough to even dip my toe in the shallowest part of the pool?

I expect there to be grinding in Destiny, it's nothing new. Just don't lay a bunch of obstacles between me and the new fun stuff to do.

I've always been a weird place when it comes to armor - in that I don't chase perfect rolls on that as much as I would a weapon. I look for a particular perk I want and maybe a decent secondary perk to go with it and I am good to go. Then I have particular pieces I swap out for certain scenarios (a certain type of ammo reserve/scavenger or maybe extra shotgun super energy) but those particular pieces just need that 1 perk on them and nothing else because they are for such niche/bullshitting around builds. I personally have never found trying to have all of your armor perks in perfect alignment something worth chasing - and I'm a person who enjoys doing that. I wasn't a tier 12 person in D1 either - because unless you were doing it out of boredom - you're never going to convince me that the extra 8 seconds or whatever it saved you on a grenade/melee would swing a PvP match more than 1% of the time.

Get the handful of perks you prioritize on the armor and then let the chips fall where they may. If you get a perfect roll - great. If you don't, it's ok to miss out on being 0.0032% more efficient.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    I still don't understand how they managed to make a mod system for guns and armor but don't allow us to slot perks into armor we like using it

Like what

I mean, from a development point of view it's because they only designed armour with one slot under the old system and the new system is very much bolted on top of that.

Like, one of the biggest reasons they gave for why weapons have fixed elements now is because the mod slot got taken up the new weapon mod system and so there was literally no other way to do it at the time. (and by "no way" what they mean of course is "no way without doing a lot of extra coding work" because naturally all is doable given enough time and money)

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »
    Weapon rolls, armor perks, triumphs, pinnacle weapons, nightfall scoring, collections and so forth give players a lot more to do in Y2 instead of Y1. Every new weapon drop can be something unique and special.

The weapon system, faster time-to-kill, buffed exotics, buffed supers, and faster movement means the core gameplay is way more fun too.

the problem with all this randomness that’s supposed to make me want to play more and chase things is nearly all of it is so completely random that it seems entirely pointless to waste my time chasing any of it

and the tedious power grind that’s supposed to make me keep playing because chasing the carrot is the one true fun and there’s no way i could just enjoy playing the content itself just results in me burning out in the grind and really not wanting to do it anymore

the entire game feels to me like a giant waste of time now and i actually feel bad putting any significant amount of time into it and looking back to see that i actually accomplished absolutely nothing and if i start over tomorrow it’s still entirely likely i will put in a bunch more time to accomplish absolutely nothing

Finding out I wasn't going to be able to interact with the content I just bought the pass for, without doing an alarm clock daily grind, kind of crushed my Destiny spirit.

I was having a ton of fun, but the varnish is just a bit too thin. I can see all of the pieces moving against me now, and it just doesn't make me want to play. Made me feel like the game was playing me, rather than the other way around.

edited December 2018
    squall99x wrote: »

I've always been a weird place when it comes to armor - in that I don't chase perfect rolls on that as much as I would a weapon. I look for a particular perk I want and maybe a decent secondary perk to go with it and I am good to go. Then I have particular pieces I swap out for certain scenarios (a certain type of ammo reserve/scavenger or maybe extra shotgun super energy) but those particular pieces just need that 1 perk on them and nothing else because they are for such niche/bullshitting around builds. I personally have never found trying to have all of your armor perks in perfect alignment something worth chasing - and I'm a person who enjoys doing that. I wasn't a tier 12 person in D1 either - because unless you were doing it out of boredom - you're never going to convince me that the extra 8 seconds or whatever it saved you on a grenade/melee would swing a PvP match more than 1% of the time.

Get the handful of perks you prioritize on the armor and then let the chips fall where they may. If you get a perfect roll - great. If you don't, it's ok to miss out on being 0.0032% more efficient.

A lot of the perks are not about being slightly more efficient though. Scavenger perks are pretty huge, especially in PvP. On any content where you need to really push yourself a bit balance scavenger vs reserve (vs finder I guess too, more when Heavy Finder actually works) means a lot. Perks that increase reload and draw speed will most definitely win you fights in PvP a lot. And targeting ones maybe too (those are less obvious but that doesn't mean less powerful).

shryke on
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The black armor mods are super expensive and most of them seem like proper crap, a mod that enhances Surrounded, the shit tier 1st place perk from The Taken King, really? Or one that makes you change weapons faster if you used all the ammo in your current gun... What? Do you savages not reload your guns?

I've gotten 7 new ones and only the Rampage one seems alright out of the ones I've got.

Sirialis on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    The black armor mods are super expensive and most of them seem like proper crap, a mod that enhances Surrounded, the shit tier 1st place perk from The Taken King, really? Or one that makes you change weapons faster if you used all the ammo in your current gun... What? Do you savages not reload your guns?

I've gotten 7 new ones and only the Rampage one seems alright out of the ones I've got.

The quick swap one you use on single shot grenade launchers to switch to your other weapon, another single shot grenade launcher, probably. Or, weapons with backpack reloading. Or, both!

Xagar on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Something I didn’t notice until too late yesterday is that they go up in price when you buy one (and then reset, daily). Don’t buy more than one a day.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Dragonfly spec mod apparently is pretty good? Can’t soeak from firsthand experience though.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Surrounded is a pretty big damage buff. If you can get it to work in some encounter or with some playstyle, the mod is a good sized boost on top of that.

The faster change after exhausting your current mag seems really good for PvP or the like to me. There's several types of single shot weapons you want to follow up with another weapon to finish (single-shot grenade launchers and bows primarily).

I've seen several other really good ones too, especially the perk boosting ones.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Dragonfly mod for curated Nation of Beasts.

Quick Swap for Mountaintop or similar.

Rampage for Breakneck.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Soooo the nesus captain part of the second forge quest

It’s the worst Pve tging theyvr done right? Dude won’t spawnabd when he dies he is bugged and you need to get the final blow for it to count

Really dumb

616610-1.png

A lot of the perks are not about being slightly more efficient though. Scavenger perks are pretty huge, especially in PvP. On any content where you need to really push yourself a bit balance scavenger vs reserve (vs finder I guess too, more when Heavy Finder actually works) means a lot. Perks that increase reload and draw speed will most definitely win you fights in PvP a lot. And targeting ones maybe too (those are less obvious but that doesn't mean less powerful).

The slightly more efficient comes from worrying about having 9 of them synergizing. It's not hard to get the perks you want, especially for PvP. You just don't worry about looks and mash them together. It's only when trying to line up a bunch at a time that it will make you frustrated. Understanding that while you might want all of them at the same time you don't *need* all of them at the same time.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    Disrupter wrote: »

It’s the worst Pve tging theyvr done right? Dude won’t spawnabd when he dies he is bugged and you need to get the final blow for it to count

Really dumb

Set your ps4 clock back a day and load in. Guarantees you an empty zone to kill him in.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I think he just inadvertently re-discovered MMO's. That can be very traumatic.

Two tokens and a blue, die terrified and alone.
    Play Destiny.

I had two Coldheart catalysts drop simultaneously today.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Huh Nessus has frogs.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So I now curse myself by saying this but I've had ridiculous luck lately with those sort of timed world NPC stuff. That Nessus Captain had me zoned in and had a blueberry running away from it and leaving it for others. Same whenever I go looking for forge sabatours and what not. Hell, even that timing for the Ether Ritual DC unlock was spot on for my last character a couple weeks ago.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Set your ps4 clock back a day and load in. Guarantees you an empty zone to kill him in.
    ARGH. That still works?

That would've been simpler.

Luckily, I found one elsewhere on Nessus besides Exodus Black that people weren't camping / knew as much about, but I did that after way too long.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I got the Nessus captain step last night. Loaded into the Exodus Black area and the captain was standing right in front of me. Shotgunned him down and then had 3 other Guardians come running up angrily shotgunning me. Felt sort of guilty.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    A HVT Captain spawns numerous other places on Nessus.

No one really went to Nessus a lot to learn all the spawn points, I guess. Shocker.

At least it wasn't Io?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Really dumb

Also: the doodad isn't a guaranteed drop. I think that has folks confused about needing the killing blow.

I didn't get mine until I killed the Wanted Captain, Student of Beltrik, who I think can appear in any zone that has Fallen.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’ve done a little research and it sounds like there’s not a great way to cobble together mod components. I understand you can pull blues from your collection and dismantle them hoping you get some when you break them down. But I also have tons of blues by the end of a session and I can’t remember the last time I got any mod components from them. Same with purps.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I’ve done a little research and it sounds like there’s not a great way to cobble together mod components. I understand you can pull blues from your collection and dismantle them hoping you get some when you break them down. But I also have tons of blues by the end of a session and I can’t remember the last time I got any mod components from them. Same with purps.

The new vendor in BA sells mod components for gunsmith materials and a new currency you get from the forge bounties.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462

The only decent way to get mod components is buried behind Black Armoury.

Other then that, I hope you played Y1 and dumped your excess glimmer into mods.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I cleared the raid a second time last night. There are some important jobs I still haven’t done, but the raid is starting to feel pretty easy in the roles that I’m doing. Up until the final encounter anyways, which can still be a bit tricky. The armor looks really cool, and I got the curated fusion last night (not sure if I’ll use it over Loaded Question, though).

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    That annoying moment in Gambit where you're trying to pick up a few more orbs for a super to burn the primeval, the primeval slams and you end up forced through the invasion portal against your will.

Thanks game. :+1:

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    That annoying moment in Gambit where you're trying to pick up a few more orbs for a super to burn the primeval, the primeval slams and you end up forced through the invasion portal against your will.

Thanks game. :+1:

Once I was jazz handing and drifted too close to the front of the portal and it sucked me through and we lost.

This epic win will be on my forthcoming "Gambit Outtakes" video whenever I feel like doing it.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I got booted into the portal by a Taken Phalanx once

I had no secondary, heavy ammo and no super

Funny thing was the whole enemy team scattered and tried to hunt me down, so I actually kind of did something by just being there

Wassermelone on
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I got booted into the portal by a Taken Phalanx

I had no secondary, heavy ammo and no super

Funny thing was the whole enemy team scattered and tried to hunt me down, so I actually kind of did something by just being there

Similar position, but these guys were at the end of their burn cycle. I think if I'd picked up the orbs and managed to get a blade barrage in on our primeval we probably would've won the round (and taken it to round 3). C'est la vie.

Decided to fuck around in the next match and use my super bullshit Telesto/Super gain build I made for crucible. I should've done it sooner. Fucking ridiculous number of blade barrages.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So I just finished reading most of the D1 grimoire, and aren't the Hive doing exactly what Guardians are doing? Oryx/Savathun/Xivu Arath repeatedly die and come back, but according to Sword Logic, if they are weak enough to be killed, they don't deserve to live.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Brody wrote: »
    So I just finished reading most of the D1 grimoire, and aren't the Hive doing exactly what Guardians are doing? Oryx/Savathun/Xivu Arath repeatedly die and come back, but according to Sword Logic, if they are weak enough to be killed, they don't deserve to live.

All of the enemies/allies in Destiny are variations on "immortality through [power]" where the source/type of power is the variable. Destiny is an exploration of what power could ultimately survive the Heat Death of the universe.

So yeah, while we are both resurrecting, the power that allows us to come back is based on two different methods. Light from the Traveler is much different than Sacrifices to Worm Gods in both effect, result, and intent.

ObiFett on
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »

All of the enemies/allies in Destiny are variations on "immortality through [power]" where the source/type of power is the variable. Destiny is an exploration of what power could ultimately survive the Heat Death of the universe.

So yeah, while we are both resurrecting, the power that allows us to come back is based on two different methods. Light from the Traveler is much different than Sacrifices to Worm Gods in both effect, result, and intent.

And so far, based off of both Crota and the Crucible, it seems the answer is Lagswitchers.