As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Security Thread] CVEs, or "Crap! Vulnerabilities! Eughhhhh..."

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Its ok I had a few people PM me and give me some good advice! Now I wait until next week to see what happens.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Well, shit.

Looks like Google has it under control as of now, but that's more than a little scary.

• Options
    Google says it wasn't malicious but a mistake made by a Telecom in Nigeria

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/13/google-outage-rerouted-china-russia/

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I’m not going to pretend to know how this works, but it would seem Google has a pretty big security issue if someone could do that on accident.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I’m not going to pretend to know how this works, but it would seem Google has a pretty big security issue if someone could do that on accident.

Not remotely a Google-specific problem. Simply how IP and DNS routing works.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Routers can exchange route information with their neighbors by BGP. So router 1 says "i know routes for networks A, B, C". Router 2 sees that message and adds router 1 as the destination for traffic for networks A,B,C to its own route table. Router 2 says "i know routes for networks X, Y, Z" and router 1 sees that and adds router 2 as the destination for those networks. Now anyone using either router 1 or 2 can access networks A,B,C,X,Y, and Z.

But you can also propagate learned routes to others in addition to your own routes, so router 2 could say "i know routes for ABC and XYZ" to a different neighbor router 3. And now router 3 users can talk to the router 1 networks without the two being directly connected. Additionally, you can filter routes from being advertised or learned, so for example, router 2 may only send routes A,C and X to router 3. And router 3 may only accept routes for A,B, and X, so after both it only ends up knowing about A and X. The route updates use keys so routers only accept updates from known trusted neighbors, but route propagation is still based on trust.

Which all works great until someone in Nigeria fucks up their BGP filtering rules and advertises google's networks, China Telecom incorrectly picks up that bad info and advertises it to the rest of the world.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you want to read up on it a bit.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/security

DNSSEC is definitely a partial fix, once you can basically verify the signatures of certain important DNS info. Everyone has to implement it though.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If you want to read up on it a bit.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/security

DNSSEC is definitely a partial fix, once you can basically verify the signatures of certain important DNS info. Everyone has to implement it though.

Yeah, we're not even all aboard IPv6 yet. It's been... 20 years now? Ooof.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Routers can exchange route information with their neighbors by BGP. So router 1 says "i know routes for networks A, B, C". Router 2 sees that message and adds router 1 as the destination for traffic for networks A,B,C to its own route table. Router 2 says "i know routes for networks X, Y, Z" and router 1 sees that and adds router 2 as the destination for those networks. Now anyone using either router 1 or 2 can access networks A,B,C,X,Y, and Z.

But you can also propagate learned routes to others in addition to your own routes, so router 2 could say "i know routes for ABC and XYZ" to a different neighbor router 3. And now router 3 users can talk to the router 1 networks without the two being directly connected. Additionally, you can filter routes from being advertised or learned, so for example, router 2 may only send routes A,C and X to router 3. And router 3 may only accept routes for A,B, and X, so after both it only ends up knowing about A and X. The route updates use keys so routers only accept updates from known trusted neighbors, but route propagation is still based on trust.

Which all works great until someone in Nigeria fucks up their BGP filtering rules and advertises google's networks, China Telecom incorrectly picks up that bad info and advertises it to the rest of the world.

When major internet routing breaks, it's always BGP. Google itself managed to turn the internet in Japan off for a little while last year with BGP.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've convinced myself to actually pay for a AV license. What should be a reasonable price for a 3-device pack of Bitdefender?

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    In continuing "SMS is horrible" news, approximately 26 Million text messages have been leaked from the service Voxox.
    A security lapse has exposed a massive database containing tens of millions of text messages, including password reset links, two-factor codes, shipping notifications and more.

The exposed server belongs to Voxox (formerly Telcentris), a San Diego, Calif.-based communications company. The server wasn’t protected with a password, allowing anyone who knew where to look to peek in and snoop on a near-real-time stream of text messages.

Cool. Cool. GREAT. JUST GREAT.

This makes me wonder, for services that only offer SMS 2FA, is it better to just have NO 2FA invoked? This issue may still be wide open at this point, at apparently it allows nearly real-time eavesdropping. Though I imagine it's mighty difficult to comb through the volume of data leaked.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The government needs to crack down on shit like that. Fine/sue them for a shit ton and I bet you'd see a lot less of this kind of thing.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I've convinced myself to actually pay for a AV license. What should be a reasonable price for a 3-device pack of Bitdefender?

I bought licenses of Bitdefender from Dealarious (https://www.dealarious.com/) and they worked just fine. One year for $23 is the lowest I've ever been able to find.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The government needs to crack down on shit like that. Fine/sue them for a shit ton and I bet you'd see a lot less of this kind of thing.

This is very much true for a ton of security issues. There's just not enough punitive stuff for shit security.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

This is very much true for a ton of security issues. There's just not enough punitive stuff for shit security.

e.g. how is Equifax still in business?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

e.g. how is Equifax still in business?

They're rich. They serve a bunch of corporations that are rich, and make others rich. And the only people they fucked over were poor.

Welcome to the oligarchy.

• Options
    More importantly, the people equifax fucked over were their product, not their customers.

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Deleted

Kolosus on
  • Options
    In similar news of rich companies leaking data:

Amazon leaks users’ names and emails in ‘technical error’
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/21/18106306/amazon-email-address-leak-technical-error-phishing
    Characterizing this as a “technical error” means that the incident is unlikely to be related to reports of Amazon firing employees for sharing customer emails with third-party sellers, but the lack of information makes it difficult to establish exactly what happened. We have reached out to the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office, which Amazon would have needed to inform in the event of a breach, for comment.

• Options
    Another day another massive, massive security breach:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2018/11/30/marriott-breach-what-happened-how-serious-is-it-and-who-is-impacted/#1ed09de67d25
    Hotel group Marriott has suffered a massive data breach affecting the records of up to 500 million customers. In a statement today (30 November) the firm revealed its Starwood division’s guest reservation database had been compromised by an unauthorised party. Information accessed includes payment information, names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and passport numbers.

It looks like the hack itself happened a few months ago, but they are just now confirming. Also bad for Marriott:
    If any of the customer details belong to EU citizens, which is likely given the global nature of the group, the breach will also fall under GDPR. The resulting fines could be astronomical at up to 4 per cent of global turnover – and that’s on top of the possible class action lawsuits from those affected. It will also be a blow to its reputation.

It also looks like the hackers might have gained access to the encryption algorithm Marriott used to encrypt credit card numbers

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    go go GPDR!

• Options
    With the understanding that Windows Defender is steadily improving, what are your thoughts on this?

LINK

(the link is to slickdeals.net; which is a "bargain hunting" site that's been around for about 12 years)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bit defender is probably the best of the worst, if you're paying for an antivirus that's the one I'd go with

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I also wouldn't pay for antivirus. At this point it is paying money to increase your attack surface.

• Options
    So I have an old modem and router neither of which I am using anymore. Do I need to do anything specific with these before recycling them security wise, or is just hiring the reset button on the router enough (the modem doesn’t appear to have anything similar)?

• Options
    So I have an old modem and router neither of which I am using anymore. Do I need to do anything specific with these before recycling them security wise, or is just hiring the reset button on the router enough (the modem doesn’t appear to have anything similar)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Jazz on
  • Options
    Figured that would probably be the preferred disposal method. Thanks!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    To be non-flippant about it, a factory reset of your router is all you need to do. There should be no PII stored in the modem, assuming it's just a modem. From there, both go to electronics hazardous waste recycling/displosal and not the garbage can.

• Options
    Conversely, every Best Buy recycles electronics (right by the front door) if you can't find a local electronics recycling location.

Over a period of about 2-3 weeks last year, I was able to get all the old CRT tv's out of my mom's house via this method without protest from BB.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Conversely, every Best Buy recycles electronics (right by the front door) if you can't find a local electronics recycling location.

Over a period of about 2-3 weeks last year, I was able to get all the old CRT tv's out of my mom's house via this method without protest from BB.

Yes the company does. TVs are $25 to recycle, though. Everything else is free.

Unless we're delivering a TV to your house, then you get a discount on the haul away.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Unless we're delivering a TV to your house, then you get a discount on the haul away.

....so uh....should I ask what happened to those TV's? No one asked for monies or I would have made good.

• Options
    Very minor news, but apparently everyone's favorite least-used social media site, Google+, will shut down even earlier than anticipated. Why? Because there was a new vulnerability discovered that leaked the private information of 52.5 million users.
    According to Google, the new vulnerability impacted 52.5 million users, who could have had profile information like their name, email address, occupation, and age exposed to developers, even if their account was set to private. Apps could also access profile data that had been shared with a specific user, but was not shared publicly.

This is shocking news. Mostly because holy crap, Google+ had 52.5 million users?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Well I mean even if you never used it I wouldn't be surprised if everyone with a google account was technically a google+ user.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Companion piece:

If I ever needed proof Michael Bolton is an American treasure.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Well I mean even if you never used it I wouldn't be surprised if everyone with a google account was technically a google+ user.

So 52.5 million people is not all that many, relatively speaking?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

....so uh....should I ask what happened to those TV's? No one asked for monies or I would have made good.

They just got recycled anyway. The company used to not charge anything for recycling them so maybe you went before the change. It happened a couple years back.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Goodwill also doesn't accept TV's at all anymore. I believe some sort of environmental disposal fee was added in the least 10 years.

• Options

They just got recycled anyway. The company used to not charge anything for recycling them so maybe you went before the change. It happened a couple years back.

Oh, I did this about 6-8 months ago.