As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Anyone see black Friday sales for transformers comics? I'm hoping that there is one so I can buy the rest of the run, be insanely busy for the holidays, forget about reading them, remember when the compilations come out, then be completely lost

I'm hoping for one, but haven't seen it yet. Maybe Cyber Monday?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I think comixology only have the current volumes on sale and the upcoming volumes for a slight discount. They don't seem to have the single issues on sale

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Now who was the person who wanted to be pinged on this sale?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Heffling wrote: »
    A few years ago I picked up the IDW Transformers comics from Humble Bundle, and I've recently gotten around to reading them. I'm in love, and want more, but the price for the hardbacks seems very steep. Is there a cheaper alternative? I'm ok with digital.

@Heffling ping for an IDW sale on Comixology.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Bought a heap of comics. Completed my MTMT comixology collection, even though I already have the physical trades. Same with and Lost Light, Optimus Prime, but finished them by getting the remaining volmes in singles as it was cheaper. Got Requiem of the Wreckers as a single so I can finish reading it during lunch break. Got Unicron singles.

Also bought some DC and Marvel comics as well.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Picked up a bunch of stuff that I'll sit on reading until the trades release and then wonder why I didn't wait/read them sooner

I'd say I'll read them over the holidays but I'm sure work will continue to be a disaster

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    transformersrelaunch_copy.jpg
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hasbros-transformers-comic-explore-cybertron-very-beginning-1170456

New IDW book got revealed, sounds like a War for Cybertron tie-in, taking place before the war and before even Autobots and Decepticons existed. Writer Brian Ruckley and artists Angel Hernandez and Ron Joseph will be doing the comic. Ruckley is a scottsih scifi writer known for the Godless World novels. Hernandez has done work on some DC books and Joseph has done work on a bunch of IDW books like ROM and Micronauts

Published twice monthly (apparently learning no lessons from the over-saturation of the previous series) First issue in March.

Dunno what they'll do to make this story, that's already been done a half dozen times, feel fresh.

EDIT: Another image
    DuuPqkkVYAAFmTz.jpg

Also it might NOT be War for Cybertron related?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited December 2018
    Edit: Sorry yeah looks like the toys... Odd it isn't a tie in.

Edit 2: Sort of bugs me that once again we are rebooting the Transformers story? Yeah maybe we just need to go back to the 80s and make up some story to tell about the toys as an advertisement for said toys.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    I get doing a reboot. I've been loaning comics to someone and when the conversation went:

A: hey can I borrow some transformers comics?
    B: sure! Do you want war, post war, post war pseudo Star trek adventure, post war political intrigue, side story...blah blah blah

It was confusing for someone who hasn't been involved really since g1. Shit I get confused and I only stopped reading earlier this year due to real life getting in the way! Plus the first thing most people think of is the traditional Autobots vs decepticons war so it makes jumping on cleaner. Outside of beast wars just about everything has been a variation of the g1 story.

I think it's fine to let people have another round of it although I'll wait to jump in. I kinda want to reread the existing stuff....assuming I ever get through it that is

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I loved the IDW continuity but my complaint has always been that there are too many humans in my stories about giant alien robots. Its not a coincidence that when the crossovers with GI-JOE and MASK and zombies and whatever the fuck the Visionaries are else started happening, I started to lose interest.

I get doing a reboot. I've been loaning comics to someone and when the conversation went:

A: hey can I borrow some transformers comics?
    B: sure! Do you want war, post war, post war pseudo Star trek adventure, post war political intrigue, side story...blah blah blah

It was confusing for someone who hasn't been involved really since g1. Shit I get confused and I only stopped reading earlier this year due to real life getting in the way! Plus the first thing most people think of is the traditional Autobots vs decepticons war so it makes jumping on cleaner. Outside of beast wars just about everything has been a variation of the g1 story.

I think it's fine to let people have another round of it although I'll wait to jump in. I kinda want to reread the existing stuff....assuming I ever get through it that is

True. I sort of fizzled out after Dark Cybertron and really should reread the others before that again... But I just sort of feel like I bought all of these comics and will never read them. I did manage to read through all of the original Marvel Transformers comics long ago and enjoyed them. Just need to sit down and read through the current story before reading the next version.

Probably didn't help me any when I didn't realize all the one of stories are included into the entire IDW storyline...

oosik_betsuni.png

Hmm, casting Prime and Negatron as political rivals and bypassing m the "why do they have windows on cybertron?" by just flat out making Cybertron a cultural hub for both mechanical and organic lifeforms are interesting changes.

Hmm this could be interesting. Sounds like a complete reboot of the story (again).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah, it's a from scratch reboot.

Part of me sort of doesn't want to read the remaining story they have right now (after buying MtMtE 10 during the sale).

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited December 2018
    Ugh. Organic characters were pretty much the worst part of the recent IDW Transformers verse. If they're going to shoehorn the other hasbro properties in again it'll be hard to get invested in this reboot

Wait that sounded wrong, better mention some of my best friends are meatbags :P

bJKqq5s.png?1

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    I doubt they'll try to make a shared universe this time. (It didn't go so well last time, no matter how hard they tried.)

Heatwave wrote: »
    Ugh. Organic characters were pretty much the worst part of the recent IDW Transformers verse. If they're going to shoehorn the other hasbro properties in again it'll be hard to get invested in this reboot

Wait that sounded wrong, better mention some of my best friends are meatbags :P

bJKqq5s.png?1

But Buster ruled!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Buster was ONLY ok with Thundercracker. If anyone else had a dog, it would have sucked too.

The green alien guy that hung out with Wheelie and Prime was alright too. With further cements to me that humans are the big problem, not all organics.

It seems like an interesting twist. I think it's going to take some time for me to get pulled into the reboot.
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Buster was ONLY ok with Thundercracker. If anyone else had a dog, it would have sucked too.

The green alien guy that hung out with Wheelie and Prime was alright too. With further cements to me that humans are the big problem, not all organics.

Humans tend to be the worst part of everything tbh

edited December 2018
    Got around to reading the final issues of Lost light. Some thoughts about it:
    I didn't like the ending and I'm not sure why. It wasn't revulsion or " I hate this". It just didn't seem satisfying to me and I am not really sure why. Maybe I didn't understand something and that's the reason.

I agree with some sentiment I've seen elsewhere that it felt somewhat rushed but I don't think that's it either. There wasn't an ending I had in mind, but splitting off into a different universe didn't feel right. Anyone else feel this way?

Edit:

Although I gaveve my wife the cliff notes version as I tried to figure out some things and
    She got pissed that made her weepy over a "damn transformers story"

WingedWeasel on
    I also recently finished Lost Light and I was taken quite by surprise at the revelation at the end about the identities of the Transformer Gods. That was really cool. I missed the part where
    The Omega Sentinels wanted to destroy the universe? When did that happen?

And I was quite relieved to have had Megatron come back, of course he was going to, but still it was nice to see. Ever since we got those tidbits way back when (via those Prime-Megs conversations and flashbacks) that Megatron was more than just a callous destroyer of worlds. Like the crew, I grew very fond of a "good guy" Megatron.

The final issue, the wrap-up issue, was off though in that they tried to have their cake and eat it too.
    To end their quest and return home, but also to have their duplicates keep going in a different universe. It didn't really work, but it was a very Rodimus/Lost Light thing to do.

Alas for Megatron. He did have it coming, but I was sad. And poor Rachet.

edited December 2018
    I also recently finished Lost Light and I was taken quite by surprise at the revelation at the end about the identities of the Transformer Gods. That was really cool. I missed the part where

And I was quite relieved to have had Megatron come back, of course he was going to, but still it was nice to see. Ever since we got those tidbits way back when (via those Prime-Megs conversations and flashbacks) that Megatron was more than just a callous destroyer of worlds. Like the crew, I grew very fond of a "good guy" Megatron.

The final issue, the wrap-up issue, was off though in that they tried to have their cake and eat it too.
    To end their quest and return home, but also to have their duplicates keep going in a different universe. It didn't really work, but it was a very Rodimus/Lost Light thing to do.

i pretty much agree with all those this. the more i think about the ending:
    the more i'm OK with it. it is very much so the "lost light thing", but just me personally i don't like time travel stories and universe/dimensional hopping cuts it very close. it's tough for me to tolerate either in stories that are dedicated to that sort of thing so it ended up rubbing me the wrong way here. however in the end as i explained the 30,000ft view to my wife i realized i am kinda OK with most of it.

the transformer gods felt very out of nowhere. except for rung, they kept pushing and pushing and pushing and he kinda had to be at that level based on the build up. the "failure" of the quest is kinda what i was expecting. not specifically that euthanasia world, but that they didnt exist and things would be a let down (in world).

i guess one question is did the originals go off the the new lost light or did the duplicates stay? i doubt it matters either way

in the end a lot of lost light plots were wrapped up with "when SUDDENLY" type of things and i shouldn't have anticipated that the very end would be any different but my initial reaction is that it didn't feel like closure. the more i mull it over though, it does coalesce into something that i think i can live with and even enjoy.

i also recently finished the final book in the wreckers trilogy:

first off i am kinda sick of overlord. i am hoping that he finally is done this time around. however the entire springer time travel thing at the end also was weird. it felt very much "these are the loose ends, let's tie them" but it didn't feel very satisfactory. i have to think on it longer but similar to lost light i can't point to this is the problem, just that it didn't settle well.
    \
    edit: decided that since i couldn't remember where i left off with optimus prime/non-lost light series that i'd dive right into the unicron books. it was WAY more coherent than i thought it would be:
    don't get me wrong, the non-transformer parts were confusing, but not immensely so. i didn't know how bumblebee got back but it was most inconsequential. compared to the other books this felt more appropriate. immediately after completion it felt "right" whereas the others i was (and am) kinda mulling it over.

although i am not sure what the spoiler in the end of lost light was compared to the unicron books. i recall them releasing slightly out of sequence or something and that left a minor spoiler? i assume it was
    rung as primus? which i was surprised didn't come up? i'm not entirely sure how the chronology works for all this.

also one other confusing part is this: the guiding hands were the original 5 transformer gods, right? the original 13 primes were their first creations (allegedly) but it turns out shockwave mostly fabricated all of the old legends to ensure all these machinations come to fruition?

WingedWeasel on
    Comixology is having another Transformers sale till February 4th.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=28545&lang=1

oosik_betsuni.png

the more i'm OK with it. it is very much so the "lost light thing", but just me personally i don't like time travel stories and universe/dimensional hopping cuts it very close. it's tough for me to tolerate either in stories that are dedicated to that sort of thing so it ended up rubbing me the wrong way here. however in the end as i explained the 30,000ft view to my wife i realized i am kinda OK with most of it.

the transformer gods felt very out of nowhere. except for rung, they kept pushing and pushing and pushing and he kinda had to be at that level based on the build up. the "failure" of the quest is kinda what i was expecting. not specifically that euthanasia world, but that they didnt exist and things would be a let down (in world).

i guess one question is did the originals go off the the new lost light or did the duplicates stay? i doubt it matters either way

in the end a lot of lost light plots were wrapped up with "when SUDDENLY" type of things and i shouldn't have anticipated that the very end would be any different but my initial reaction is that it didn't feel like closure. the more i mull it over though, it does coalesce into something that i think i can live with and even enjoy.

first off i am kinda sick of overlord. i am hoping that he finally is done this time around. however the entire springer time travel thing at the end also was weird. it felt very much "these are the loose ends, let's tie them" but it didn't feel very satisfactory. i have to think on it longer but similar to lost light i can't point to this is the problem, just that it didn't settle well.
    \
    edit: decided that since i couldn't remember where i left off with optimus prime/non-lost light series that i'd dive right into the unicron books. it was WAY more coherent than i thought it would be:
    don't get me wrong, the non-transformer parts were confusing, but not immensely so. i didn't know how bumblebee got back but it was most inconsequential. compared to the other books this felt more appropriate. immediately after completion it felt "right" whereas the others i was (and am) kinda mulling it over.

although i am not sure what the spoiler in the end of lost light was compared to the unicron books. i recall them releasing slightly out of sequence or something and that left a minor spoiler? i assume it was
    rung as primus? which i was surprised didn't come up? i'm not entirely sure how the chronology works for all this.

also one other confusing part is this: the guiding hands were the original 5 transformer gods, right? the original 13 primes were their first creations (allegedly) but it turns out shockwave mostly fabricated all of the old legends to ensure all these machinations come to fruition?

Its all very confusing now to go back and look at the (IMO awesome) ancient-even-for-cybertronians stories told to us by Alpha Trion and Galvatron and Arcee and the few other super-old transformers and look at them again with the revelations of the end of the series. So I'm going to choose not too. :)

I will reiterate however that everything the stupid fleshies touch in this universe is extremely stupid. I hate] having humans involved in my Transformers stories. Getting splattered or running away when cybertronians throw down on Earth? Fine. But GI Joe being any sort of credible threat? Mask? Cobra? Who the fuck are the Visionaries? Get out of here with that bullshit... (Buster being the only exception)

\

Its all very confusing now to go back and look at the (IMO awesome) ancient-even-for-cybertronians stories told to us by Alpha Trion and Galvatron and Arcee and the few other super-old transformers and look at them again with the revelations of the end of the series. So I'm going to choose not too. :)

I will reiterate however that everything the stupid fleshies touch in this universe is extremely stupid. I hate] having humans involved in my Transformers stories. Getting splattered or running away when cybertronians throw down on Earth? Fine. But GI Joe being any sort of credible threat? Mask? Cobra? Who the fuck are the Visionaries? Get out of here with that bullshit... (Buster being the only exception)

did the idea of information creep just get dropped? i know ratchet was going on about it for a while but it helps explain away from of the confusing parts

i didn't read the cross over stuff for pretty much the reason you brought up. that being said i can accept reverse engineering cybertronian tech, or having a cybertronian benefactor such as scorponok. visioniaries are magic right? so i guess that gives them a pass....sorta. however i'd rather it be all transformers all the time

I tried to stay away from the crossovers, but near the end of the various lines you couldn't get away from it. At one point the guy who started GI Joe, Destro and the bad guy from Mask? who I don't know invaded Cybertron. Like, what? What?

That's what I get for trying to read the whole story before Unicron eats everything.

I tried to stay away from the crossovers, but near the end of the various lines you couldn't get away from it. At one point the guy who started GI Joe, Destro and the bad guy from Mask? who I don't know invaded Cybertron. Like, what? What?

That's what I get for trying to read the whole story before Unicron eats everything.

I skipped all that so I didn't even know that happened. I don't think the story suffered too much from missing those pieces

Holy shit I just got to this part in Optimus Prime and it's fucking awful.

Fucking Action Man want to bang Arcee.

The Hasbro verse was a fucking mistake. Just keep the Transformers as they're own thing. All the shit with the humans just seems to drag down the quality of the books.

Also Pyra Magna is the fucking worst. And Optimus himself feels so boring.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Anyone planning on trade waiting for the new TF series, the first collection just showed up on Amazon.

-They're collecting 12 issues instead of 6
    -It's hardcover only
    -It'll be $50
    -It's not coming until October

3.99x12 is 47.88 so this might actually be worth grabbing issues at they come out. (Unless you find somewhere you can get it at a discount.)

Even then, you're going to be waiting awhile.

Ugh. I don't like collecting Hardcovers anymore.

They're heavier to carry around and the paper cover is annoying. I'd remove the cover but then I wouldn't know where to store it without damaging it.

I'll wait for a comixology sale to check it out and hope the series, if good, is releases on paperbacks.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    I may actually try to acquire the hardcovers I'm missing for idw version 1. The new stuff will probably be digital until I know more

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I'd started MTMTE a couple of years ago based on ComicsAlliance's recommendation. I caught up to the first arc of Lost Light and then stopped. A month or so ago, I started a reread and finally wrapped up the whole story yesterday. This was my intro to Transformers and god it was special. This was some of the best long-form storytelling I've come across in any medium. When I finished it, I had that warm glow you get when you've just finished a really good book or movie that you know you're going to remember and cherish for a long time. I will pick up whatever James Roberts does next sight unseen.

So Hasbro is putting out this toy

And IDW is doing a 5 issue miniseries about it.
    The Ghostbusters have a new, out of this world teammate and fans will be able to meet the all new TRANSFORMERS character ECTOTRON in his epic origin story by IDW Publishing. A brand new 5-part series from creative team Erik Burnham & Dan Schoening begins in June 2019.

Finished Optimus Prime and Unicron.

These fucking books have soured me on the Transformers IDW-verse.

They were so god damn terrible and boring and a fucking mess.

At least the Wreckers Saga and MTMTE/Lost Light were great to make up for the rest of the books

P2n5r3l.jpg
    I've been hesitant on reading those for a while now and your post is not making me want to try. They sort of lost me when they brought in all the other "comics" into the TF universe. So I guess I have a question if I have to read those before reading OP and Unicron?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I've been hesitant on reading those for a while now and your post is not making me want to try. They sort of lost me when they brought in all the other "comics" into the TF universe. So I guess I have a question if I have to read those before reading OP and Unicron?

I did... and maybe I wish I didn't. Unicron, while not very good, it is not terrible. It does assume you know all the bullshit that happened in Optimus and the crossovers though. And that was terrible. Very.

I'm actually quite disappointed that they neutered Optimus Prime though. I get the whole "I'm a war leader without a war to fight." Angle they were going for... but they just kept fighting things! And he just kept leading people!

Either keep him as the awesome paragon of baddassery that we all know and love, or keep him as a wandering Samurai type roaming the galaxy righting wrongs. Not this terrible unsuitable leader they made him to be, with various bots losing faith in Optimus. I hated that angle they took with him. I got the idea, but I disagreed with the idea of it and the execution by the writers was not very good.

Oh man they kept with Optimus being the "I don't want to be the leader of the Autobots" routine going? I was hoping that would change after a while.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited February 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh man they kept with Optimus being the "I don't want to be the leader of the Autobots" routine going? I was hoping that would change after a while.

IMO, it got worse. Now it was more like a mopey, "I don't want to be venerated as a Prime." even though he is a gawddamned Prime and needed to act like one!

Steelhawk on