As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Onrush - Motorstorm Royale

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
So this game hasn't sold well it would seem. On the plus side that means it's now cheap. For PS+ users in the UK it is now about £25, and I've seen it go for similar at retail.

Don't let the poor sales put you off, it's actually rather good. A racer with no races. It's more a team based game with different classes than anything else.

So if you don't race to the finish, what's the aim? That depends on the mode (stolen from Wikipedia):

"Overdrive" - teams score points by boosting; the first team to boost enough to reach the target score wins.

"Countdown" - involves a series of checkpoints and a timer that drains over time; teams can keep the timer from running out by successfully passing the checkpoints, and if one team's timer runs out, the other team scores a point.

"Lockdown" - a King of the Hill-style mode in which teams fight to stay inside a zone that moves along the track with them for points.

"Switch" - gives each member of each team three lives and tasks the teams with taking each other down to win, but upon crashing, a player will respawn in a more powerful vehicle if they have lives left.

Countdown is one of the closest modes to a traditional racer and allows for some amazing feeling come backs. This clip is me, on the blue team, our team has four seconds left on the clock (look up at the top) with the orange on ten. Through a, fairly lucky, 'Rush' I managed to speed through a series of gates often with milli seconds left on the timer and pull us back to win that round:

https://youtu.be/1xegYrAuHGo

Speaking of Rush, that's how the game works. You build up standard 'boost' throughout the game by bumping other cars, getting closer to obstacles, jumps, smashing in to fodder (weak cars not on either team, just their to be pummelled) and the more you use this boost the more your "rush meter" goes up. At 100% you can use it, which will give you a massive boost of speed.

In addition to the massive boost of speed, depending on your vehicle you'll get an extra effect. Whilst 'rushing' one vehicle will give boost out to any team mates you pass, another will drop barriers in your opponents way, one will cause 'waves', another blinds your opponent, or drains their boost.

Some cars have different ways you can charge Rush in addition to boosting,landing jumps, smashing enemies, doing tricks in the air on a bike.

And as a bonus this all plays out at a lovely 60fps. Here's a trailer:

https://youtu.be/-gpcfmFT3jo

Anyone else playing? I'm on for a couple of races most nights!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch

• Options
    This thread did as well as I thought it would! I'll leave it to die, but seriously, this game is pretty damn fun. Anyone debating it, just give it a go.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I've picked it up on the PSN sale after watching some UPF on Giant Bomb.

Some how a fusion of Motorstorm and Overwatch. It's actually quite a lot of fun and very snappy at putting you back into action.

I think at full price it's maybe a bit overpriced for what is there but at half price it's feels like a good deal.

There is a good fun racing game here and hopefully more people get to try it.

• Options
    Yay! One comment :biggrin:

Yeah, I'd agree, it's not a £50 game but at half there's plenty there.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I dunno about plenty...

The game itself is alright, but there's not enough content there to justify even a $20 purchase IMO. I'd only recommend Onrush if you can find it for $10-$15 maybe =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Releasing right before E3 at full price did not help this game.

Also, the preview vids did nothing for me. It took watching actual gameplay and hearing people talk about it that got me interested but it still being multi heavy meant I'd wait.

And then it hit $35 on the PSN sale and that felt like a great price and it's one hell of a game, very fun. I get a real Burnout Revenge feel from it.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I thought this game was still due until later this year, I remember I was interested in playing it. Hmm...

• Options
    Clearly not doing well:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-23-layoffs-onrush-developer-evolution-driveclub-director-rushy-let-go

I still love it. Debating buying it again now I've picked up an Xbox One X

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    This game is proving to be a pretty good "15-30m" game for me.

All modes are team based and take 5-15mins. They're set up so that it is almost always close. This makes it a pretty different experience than racing games, which are winner takes all and usually very skill dependant.

I do feel the time between rounds is pretty large, I care little for the costume/loot and such.

I think their marketing, timing and sales strategy could have been better.

Their matching system has been great though, you never wait and it'll fill midmatch and use a few bots

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Giving this a brag bump:

The game has released a ranked system, as well as a hint as a premium currency (They've given me 500 of it, but as far as I can see, no way to buy it)

More importantly, it remains really fun.
    Though part of that is that it's a game I'm actually good at. I am currently King Platinum(4), which is statistically top 6% or so.

I have had few issues, mostly disconnects on (what seems to be) levelling up at the the end of ranked match, and occassional game crashes.

But it's a really nice, tense, match game. The difference in attitude between the modes (Where you either want to hit gates / deny enemy gates, which leads to safe or aggressive driving depending on what you are at), really conservative play in the score attack (Where by far the best thing you can do is chain a combo for as long as you can and end with an ultimate), and really aggressive play in Lockdown, where you have to have more cars than the opponents in a circle for 5 seconds really keeps things going.

The only thing I'm not that big a fan of is the Switch mode, which feels like it has the largest luck element, as it's basically impossible to be ahead of the pack because not enough fodder cars spawn for the first player, so it feels like it boils down to "whoever is unlucky enough to have enemies respawn close to their people with lives left loses).

Think of this game like competitive Burnout, except instead of racing for a finish, you race for goals normally more FPS related. And it really works.
    Is it worth fullprice... maybe, but a bit of a gamble, because who knows how long servers will be filling with their sales numbers. But I picked it up for $30, and it has been my go to game for a month now. (36 hours played)

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm interested in this as a SP game to just mess around in but I've see a lot of talk about bugs and crashing that has me kind of hesitant even though it's on sale. Thoughts?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    I've had one crash and no other bugs, and I've played it on both PS4 and Xbox One X

• Options
    My crashes have stopped completely, but it still kicks to menu an awful lot on match completion. But that's only in Multi.

The AI is pretty weak though, I'm not sure the SP will keep your interest long. (Though it is weirdly a lot better in Switch than the other modes)

• Options
    So I lost touch a little with this game and it looks like there have been new tracks added - exciting! Given it's on Gamepass now I think I might move over the Xbox One X to play it rather than the PS4 Pro (just because my X is new and shiny)

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So this is free right now for PSN users, I guess it still isn't catching on....