As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Reveal stream live now! Expansion drops April 9th!

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Confession time: the more that I play Quest Mage, the more I like it.

I feel like it's a deck that really, really rewards smart choices. There are a lot of decision points that matter. Some of them become obvious after playing the deck a lot - playing an Acolyte of Pain rather than an Arcane Intellect early on is almost always a better choice, even if there's a slight risk of overdrawing and burning a critical combo piece, since you can use AI for free during an emergency "dig for combo" turn with the Apprentices out. Playing an Ice Barrier early and taking a net of three or four damage, rather than using a Frost Nova or Blizzard. Using the draw two spell to try to burn cards for the other player (I love burning key OTK Paladin cards).

There are so many wins with the deck where it fails to go full Exodia. Instead, you cobble together a board, freeze the other board, and smack them with the Apprentices. Where you only get two or three Fireballs, and you make it work. The whole sense of the deck is like you're running just one step ahead of disaster, and you need to find a way to make it work with the tools given to you.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've always hated that sort of deck. Its why I can't play modern combo Priests or Druids. I want to have a plan and execute it, not cobble together what I happen to draw into something workable.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    zwppmtfcx63n.png

UNLIMITED VALUE!

Such a power play, it granted @emnmnme a gold quest! Whoa!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Confession time: the more that I play Quest Mage, the more I like it.

I feel like it's a deck that really, really rewards smart choices. There are a lot of decision points that matter. Some of them become obvious after playing the deck a lot - playing an Acolyte of Pain rather than an Arcane Intellect early on is almost always a better choice, even if there's a slight risk of overdrawing and burning a critical combo piece, since you can use AI for free during an emergency "dig for combo" turn with the Apprentices out. Playing an Ice Barrier early and taking a net of three or four damage, rather than using a Frost Nova or Blizzard. Using the draw two spell to try to burn cards for the other player (I love burning key OTK Paladin cards).

There are so many wins with the deck where it fails to go full Exodia. Instead, you cobble together a board, freeze the other board, and smack them with the Apprentices. Where you only get two or three Fireballs, and you make it work. The whole sense of the deck is like you're running just one step ahead of disaster, and you need to find a way to make it work with the tools given to you.

I love Quest Mage. It gets a lot of hate for being a Solitaire deck since you're just controlling the board as best as possible before pulling a combo, but that exact scenario of not pulling all of the combo pieces in time is what I live for. So many choices in that deck that makes it entertaining to play, just not for your opponent.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I remember the day when people complained about Mill Rogue.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I came up against it in Wild a week or so ago and I complained pretty hard to myself for the entire match

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    And the award for Newest Annoyingly Long Animation with Confusing Mechanics goes to: Togwaggle Blood Druid.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/6m/zwppmtfcx63n.png

UNLIMITED VALUE!

Such a power play, it granted @emnmnme a gold quest! Whoa!
    Now I know why Dover always has 10k+ gold to blow on every expansion.

forty on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I still hate Mill Rogue.

• KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    25 Dmg to the Dome Paladin is still lots of fun. Games take forever though. :(

Kolosus wrote: »
    25 Dmg to the Dome Paladin is still lots of fun. Games take forever though. :(

Yeah, I love that deck. They build their happy little boards with big Spikeridged Steed Taunt walls and I go over the top with (Whoosh) “Aha!” (Whoosh) “Aha!” (Whoosh) a couple of times. Much fun is had by all, in our solitaire-y ways.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    been playing this even paladin list

### Even Paladin
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 1x (2) Argent Protector
    # 1x (2) Crystalsmith Kangor
    # 2x (2) Equality
    # 2x (2) Hydrologist
    # 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 2x (4) Blessing of Kings
    # 2x (4) Consecration
    # 2x (4) Corpsetaker
    # 2x (4) Spirit of the Tiger
    # 1x (4) The Glass Knight
    # 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
    # 1x (6) Argent Commander
    # 2x (6) Avenging Wrath
    # 1x (6) Genn Greymane
    # 1x (6) Mojomaster Zihi
    # 2x (6) Spikeridged Steed
    # 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
    # 1x (6) Windfury Harpy
    # 1x (8) The Lich King
    # 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
    #
    AAECAZ8FCpkCtwT6Bv4HucECws4CzfQC6/cC/fsCwI8DCtwD9AXPBq8H9geWCbPBAojHApboAu+GAwA=

zihi is actually a really good tech to buy a few more turns against the big 9/10 mana power swings, and the spirits actually feel pretty good in this deck

### Even Paladin

AAECAZ8FCpkCtwT6Bv4HucECws4CzfQC6/cC/fsCwI8DCtwD9AXPBq8H9geWCbPBAojHApboAu+GAwA=

zihi is actually a really good tech to buy a few more turns against the big 9/10 mana power swings, and the spirits actually feel pretty good in this deck

It’s the deck that I want to play next. I don’t have a Kangor though.

Fearghaill wrote: »
    Goblin Bomb Token Druid?

Hmmmmmmm

Aye, though as usual I'm sure my quickly hacked together one isn't quite the standard list (if there is one? I have no idea). It's very much built around just throwing as much shit on board all the time and then running a critical mass of wide buffs, not totally unlike Odd Pally.
    AAECAZICAq8E4gcOQPcD5gWxCJ/AAqHCAuvCApvLApHQAp7SArz8Avb9AomAA4yAAwA=
    AAqHCAuvCApvLApHQAp7SArz8Avb9AomAA4yAAwA=.png

Edit: There should probably be Wargears in here and maybe Replicating Menaces in here, thinking about it.

I'm retiring your deck at 1-0. Confirmed it is awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I've been playing that Bomb Druid deck a bit and I've been liking it. I didn't have a 2nd Evolving Spores and don't want to craft even a Rare right now, but subbing in the...um....deathrattle treant card? I can't remember the name of the spell but you know which one I mean. That works fine.

I just played a game with Whizzbang Priest Surrender to Madness against a Kingsbane that got it to 15/5 with lifesteal. We went to him being in fatigue. I still wrecked him.

/fistpump

I still don't know what to make of Surrender Priest. It seems to be so strong when I roll it in Whizbang, and I think I've won every time, but it doesn't ever actually do the combo that the deck seems to be built for?

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

### Even Paladin
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 1x (2) Argent Protector
    # 1x (2) Crystalsmith Kangor
    # 2x (2) Equality
    # 2x (2) Hydrologist
    # 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 2x (4) Blessing of Kings
    # 2x (4) Consecration
    # 2x (4) Corpsetaker
    # 2x (4) Spirit of the Tiger
    # 1x (4) The Glass Knight
    # 2x (4) Truesilver Champion
    # 1x (6) Argent Commander
    # 2x (6) Avenging Wrath
    # 1x (6) Genn Greymane
    # 1x (6) Mojomaster Zihi
    # 2x (6) Spikeridged Steed
    # 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
    # 1x (6) Windfury Harpy
    # 1x (8) The Lich King
    # 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
    #

i've been playing this list too, but a slight variation since no Glass Knight and no Zihi

+1 Saronite Chain Gang and +1 Dinosize

(also i have an ooze in place of argent protector)

Dinosize is actually fucking legit and has some pretty slick synergy with Spirit of the Tiger (my new favorite fuckin' card!!!). but it can sorta function like a pseudo Pyroblast which is neat. it's nice to just like, have a finisher. or you can even just slam the fuckin' thing whenever, like, it's a 10/10, that needs an answer or they'll lose.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    mill rogue is one of the only fair decks in the game

liEt3nH.png
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I still don't know what to make of Surrender Priest. It seems to be so strong when I roll it in Whizbang, and I think I've won every time, but it doesn't ever actually do the combo that the deck seems to be built for?

I dont even know what the combo is that its built for. I just try and get the most value from the Loa, 2 cost legendary that adds +1+1, and the +3/+3 destroy 3 crystals card. At one point I drew a 1 mana 6/8 Acolyte of Pain, which might normally be bad except you just keep filling your deck with minions over and over.

ObiFett wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

I dont even know what the combo is that its built for. I just try and get the most value from the Loa, 2 cost legendary that adds +1+1, and the +3/+3 destroy 3 crystals card. At one point I drew a 1 mana 6/8 Acolyte of Pain, which might normally be bad except you just keep filling your deck with minions over and over.

I think the ultimate combo the deck is going for is to get Zihi out, then have her die with a spirit on the board, trade a bunch more of your minions to death with a spirit on the board, x2 Surrender, then pull Zihi out and play her for 1 mana? It's such an unreliable combo and the only real benefit of pulling it off is you'll make the deck work faster to do what it's already doing, which is just deck buffing.

I dunno, I'd like to figure something out with Bwonsamdi and the Priest spirits, because that was my freebie.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Boy am I getting really tired of twitch ads on my subscribed channels.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dibby' wrote: »
    Dinosize is actually fucking legit and has some pretty slick synergy with Spirit of the Tiger (my new favorite fuckin' card!!!). but it can sorta function like a pseudo Pyroblast which is neat. it's nice to just like, have a finisher. or you can even just slam the fuckin' thing whenever, like, it's a 10/10, that needs an answer or they'll lose.

Dinosize is just the greatest.

I swung a game back from the dead the other day dropping it on Kangor and healing for 20.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I got really sick of kingsbane and OTK combo decks so I just tossed together a zoo lock deck with 2x each of Gnomeferatu, Demonic Project, and Void Contract, as well as Mojomaster

It probably won’t have a great win rate, but it will be worth it for every time a rogue plays a shinyfinder and comes up with nothing

Gnomeferatu can't burn Kingsbane when it's always in their damn hand.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Howlfiend!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I have to say I’m pretty glad I didn’t buy into this expansion asthings seem to be shaking out as stale as usual.

Which is unfortunate because I used to like hearthstone, but these days it’s either curvestone, a boring control deck or something stupid druid is doing. I don’t really care to shit on a game I like and want to like but it’s become this stale and boring thing and all the good stuff has been sucked dry.

I have to say I’m pretty glad I didn’t buy into this expansion asthings seem to be shaking out as stale as usual.

Which is unfortunate because I used to like hearthstone, but these days it’s either curvestone, a boring control deck or something stupid druid is doing. I don’t really care to shit on a game I like and want to like but it’s become this stale and boring thing and all the good stuff has been sucked dry.

I'm trying terrible deck ideas now. Already made my decks with all the Legendaries I got from the expansion, so now I'm onto phase 2 of trying to enjoy the game. This way when the terrible decks work I'll get a laugh.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Terrible decks can be fun. I was running a deck with halazzi and cauldron and it was ridiculous. Random garbage that happens is the best thing this game has to offer. But if everyone is just playing odd rogue and odd paladin then it’s kinda pointless because you’ll probably lose.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    Kingsbane is one of those decks that, whether it’s good or not, feels shitty to play against.

Indicative of a larger problem where there is absolutely no way to counter anything your opponent does. But that’s a structural problem that runs a lot deeper than one deck.

There are ways to counter things, it just depends on what's been printed. 'Silence a weapon' or 'silence a hero' could very plausibly be a card.

The problem with silence a weapon is it would just turn the match into draw this card, win the game which isn't interesting either.

But for every card you put in a deck, you’re also deciding what not to put in the deck. So for a highly tuned competitive deck, what gets cut for a tech card that is occasionally useful?

That just becomes a metagame call then based on your deck and what you are likely to see. If kingsbane rogue isat least x% of meta and your deck is control then include= TRUE. The problem is on a gameplay level in say odd warrior vs kingsbane a weapon silent would just be boring. You would cast it as soon as you can when kingsbane is out, and then the rogue would concede.
    Hearthstone rewards decks going all in on an uninteractive strategy, kingsbane, togwaggle, shudderwock, etc. The designers need to figure out some way to make these decks have to interact with the opponents.

Not really, just don't play the weapon until you can valeera 3 copies into your deck, spread out the weapon buffs. Would actually be a pretty interesting game I think.

I think midrange is dead. I've been trying to play even pally, even shaman, rush warrior and you just get run over or crushed to death with board clears. Control have to run so many clears to deal with odd pally that you just can't stay on board. Odd pally throws out so much stuff you can't really beat that. On top of that, the stuff they do just isn't broken enough. Like the pally buff spirit is good, play out a 0/3 for 4 mana, then play 4 mana worth of stuff and make a 4/7 and a 4/4, except deathrattle hunter does the same thing, except their 0/3 costs 3 mana (and isn't stealthed admittedly), and their 4 mana worth of stuff makes 2 5/5s and a 3/3.

Played a bunch of rush warrior and even pally yesterday, dropped down a few ranks. Then played an hour of odd pally, went 11-3 and back up to rank 3. Average game length of 6 turns and 4.5 minutes.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Boy am I getting really tired of twitch ads on my subscribed channels.

I decided not to renew Amazon Prime over Twitch ads. Avoiding Twitch ads was 75% of why I had Prime, and when I was no longer ad free, why bother?

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Shudderwock and Kingsbane are all over ladder so I'm cooling off on this meta already

Turns out 'unfun bullshit' is not very engaging to play against

Beasteh on
    edited December 2018

the honeymoon period ended much sooner than i anticipated, even. usually that whole experimentation/discovery phase lasts quite a bit longer.

i guess because people realized "hey wait, un'goro/kft/knc are still fucking busted" and just played those decks instead

i will see how things shake out post-rotation, at any rate. witchwood will still be a thing, but the only other sets will be boomsday and rastakhan's and those weren't nearly as bullshit as kft/knc were

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I haven't fully dived into the ladder since things dropped. Is it seriously Odd Pally/Odd Rogue/Hunter decks plus Zul'jin as far as the eye can see?

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    This deck is pretty fun Questing Priest, from Zalae and Ike
    gLriAPrigPqjAMA.png
    AAECAa0GAvgCvsgCDuUElwakB/YHpQnRCtIK8gzRwQLYwQLQ/gLriAPrigPqjAMA
    I don't think it's tier one but it can pull off a lot of wins out of nowhere. I think its the most fun deck I've had with this expansion.

Neaden on
    Dibby wrote: »

the honeymoon period ended much sooner than i anticipated, even. usually that whole experimentation/discovery phase lasts quite a bit longer.

i guess because people realized "hey wait, un'goro/kft/knc are still fucking busted" and just played those decks instead

i will see how things shake out post-rotation, at any rate. witchwood will still be a thing, but the only other sets will be boomsday and rastakhan's and those weren't nearly as bullshit as kft/knc were

I don't think odd rogue or odd paladin are losing very much with the rotation, they'll probably remain strong unless there is some other deck that comes along and dunks on them. But yeah, I'm with you. It's not at all surprising to me that the dominant decks from last expansion are the dominant decks here.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've been watching Dog sit at Rank 1 Legend with APM Priest for like 3 hours now.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    The Judge wrote: »
    I haven't fully dived into the ladder since things dropped. Is it seriously Odd Pally/Odd Rogue/Hunter decks plus Zul'jin as far as the eye can see?
    No more than before, in my experience. I've seen a recruit warrior, mages (mostly odd right now), druids as always, even lock, control lock, quest warlock, zoolock, Kingsbane rogues, OTK paladin. I mean I've also seen the decks you mentioned, but the decks I've faced are still all over the place overall.

I mean... I mostly played odd pally/rogue to get to rank 5, but not everyone else!

edited December 2018
    Dibby wrote: »

I don't think odd rogue or odd paladin are losing very much with the rotation, they'll probably remain strong unless there is some other deck that comes along and dunks on them. But yeah, I'm with you. It's not at all surprising to me that the dominant decks from last expansion are the dominant decks here.

90% of odd paladin's cards are from Mammoth

almost every single card they're running will be gone!

odd rogue is losing a good deal too; dire mole, fire fly, blink fox, tar creeper, flappy bird, cobalt scalebane, fungalmancer, vilespine

they're losing a lot!!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    I think some people are just taking advantage of experimenters and it's putting a damper on experimentation. Give it another week or two, people will find shit that works.

I'm playing around with a Bwonsamdi deck that just puts your opponents minions on the board and steals them and kills them so he can pull them out and play them for 1 mana. I'm sure it'll be bad, but I'm trying it.