As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Got to finish up white plume on Wednesday.
    the party started from a cliff hanger from the last game. They just finished the geysers and chains. Poorly, I might add. The dragon born ranger still needs to clear the gap on the gysers and chains room. Most of the rest are heavily injured and I've tapped top levels out of all the casters. The gnome ranger and rogue are ducked into the hallway hiding from the gysers and chains room that nearly killed them. Just at either side of the the entrance into the hallway. The gnome wizard has teleported the dwarf out of the boiling muck onto the platform and is flying into the hallway. The dwarf cleric, that is holding wave, is right on his heels. the halfling rogue has fled the hallway back to the gysers and chains room as he was caught in whelm's shockwave just to end last game as the ranger holding blackrazor (and 100+ temp hp which has the character feeling quite invincible) has kicked open the door to the vampire's lair, and the vampire has responded with a shockwave from whelm, turning greater invisible, and walking to the middle of the hallway.

The gnomish ranger heals his best friend the gnomish rogue who follows the halflings lead and gets back in the gysers and chains room to hide from whatever is in the hallway.

The wizard attempts to fly down the hallway to communicate with the ranger about the, as we've dubbed it, vanta black room and what is inside it issuing forth shockwaves, and is hit by the vampire, using whelm with an opportunity attack by the vampire. Sending him sailing down the hallway to the rangers feet while he turns on see invisibilty.

The vampire never took down invisibility, so the wizard was calling out its position the whole fight, and everyone was blind firing... very well, I think the only one to have a full miss round was the gnomish swashbuckler who was out of his element throwing from the back, he's a hardy little guy and usually hits and runs in melee, so it made a bit of sense for him to be a bit lacking.

It was actually super fun having the other two weapons in the vampire fight. Number one i didn't feel bad about giving the vampire spells and the hammer, and also the other two weapons working to get their friend back was some fun internal conversations. Especially blackrazor both wanting his friend, and also not seeing a reason to help kill undead which he considers a total waste of his time. The cleric holding wave put the non living cube of force barrier up around himself the vampire and the ranger holding blackrazor and tried to send it clawing at the cube of force with turn undead, unfortunately legendary resistance did its job. I was actually able to get the wielder of blackrazor to go back to his normal weapon after the vampire used blight to blast all his temp hp and the d10 of damage for hitting an undead started to actually hit his real hit points.

I was real happy with that player too cause he knew every bad play he was making that wouldnt be apparent to his character. He debated for a second to start, knowing that hitting the undead would hurt him too, but decided that since his character didn't know that, and was riding pretty high on the blackrazor that he'd take the swings anyways (which prompted the internal dialog). It's cool that he's immediately found the downsides of blackrazor and realized it might not solve all his problems.

It was actually a fairly quick encounter because despite universal disadvantage everyone's dice were on fire and kept hitting for really good damage. The encounter still maintained a level of psychological threat for the players though because of how badly the gysers and chains room wrecked them.

After they finished off the vampire everyone was tapped so they shut the hallway and everyone went to sleep to take a long rest.

They just absolutely destroyed Nix and Nox the next morning. At which point the binding magics of the place were dispelled and the sphinx immediately took its leave of the place. Followed immediately by the wizard that latched onto her as she flew out of the dungeon. Leaving everyone else to climb back out and wonder where the wizard is.

We'll have to do some followup to tie things up and get the characters back to our central hub, but white plume was a fun little nonsense dungeon to play through.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    Question for any of you that do sessions primarily or exclusively online: What tools/programs would you recommend for some total noobs looking to get a game going? We would want maps or soimething graphical for the combat at least. I tried Roll20 years ago and found the experience a little frustrating but it's possible it's improved since then? I also know there's FantasyGrounds i have no idea if it's worth the cost. I don't mind paying some money to get things working, or even on a sub basis, as long as the value is decent.

Looking for any input or insights to get us pointed in the right direction. If it matters it would be 5e we'd be playing but I could also see me running a 4E game eventually.

You could ask Hangedman or Rainfall, they've been running my Thursday game for the last 2 years on roll20. From a player side, it can be a little intimidating especially if you've never played before. There's a ton of guides out there to help you through, but keep in mind that only the stuff from the SRD is available for free. You'll have to pay per book for stuff like the Players Handbook, Monster Manual, ect. or type it all in manually.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Fantasy Grounds is pretty good I think. It's like 1990 shareware but it's broadly functional and you don't need spreadsheets to use it, so it's good for DnD stuff

sig.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So one of my co-workers wants to start a new campaign in ravnica after the holidays and is having us work on ideas.

I've been wanting to run an arcane trickster and the obvious analog would be a spy for the dimir. I had been envisioning it as a tiefling which don't exist on the plane but I don't think he's that strict on it, but I can adjust that as needed.

But instead of just badass assassin I really like the whisper agent aspect of the dimir. Just spy's in places to both gain information about other factions and disseminate dis/information.

So I'm trying to think about how they could be almost like a deep cover agent and how that would work in the different guilds. And that's where I'm a little stuck. The first thought I had was rakdos and I could either insert myself as a performer or vendor in their circus.

My thought is balancing inserting myself close enough to a guild to be getting useful information on their actions but not close enough to be in danger or scrutinized. The rakdos one is tricky because it's basically always close to danger. But would have a more exciting starting point.

Like I can always act as a clerk in an office of the orzhov or azorious which would be wildly mundane and could have an angle of "bored spy dreams of being James bond" which im into as well.

I haven't really played since college and when we did play we'd tell a friend our character ideas and he'd come back with sheets filled for them so I'm pretty completely inexperienced on character creation and grwth as they level. Does anyone have thoughts on how to do the building here or other aspects I need to consider still?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Like I can always act as a clerk in an office of the orzhov or azorious which would be wildly mundane and could have an angle of "bored spy dreams of being James bond" which im into as well.

You could always take a page from the two main characters on FX's The Americans.

They work a super-mundane job as to cover for them being bad-ass spies.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    So one of my co-workers wants to start a new campaign in ravnica after the holidays and is having us work on ideas.

I've been wanting to run an arcane trickster and the obvious analog would be a spy for the dimir. I had been envisioning it as a tiefling which don't exist on the plane but I don't think he's that strict on it, but I can adjust that as needed.

But instead of just badass assassin I really like the whisper agent aspect of the dimir. Just spy's in places to both gain information about other factions and disseminate dis/information.

So I'm trying to think about how they could be almost like a deep cover agent and how that would work in the different guilds. And that's where I'm a little stuck. The first thought I had was rakdos and I could either insert myself as a performer or vendor in their circus.

My thought is balancing inserting myself close enough to a guild to be getting useful information on their actions but not close enough to be in danger or scrutinized. The rakdos one is tricky because it's basically always close to danger. But would have a more exciting starting point.

I haven't really played since college and when we did play we'd tell a friend our character ideas and he'd come back with sheets filled for them so I'm pretty completely inexperienced on character creation and grwth as they level. Does anyone have thoughts on how to do the building here or other aspects I need to consider still?

Izzit league.

Be an engineer. Should get you access to the building plans for most of the city

• Options
    Which also, always being able to ask the DM for an at least rough dungeon map is dope

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Any new books for 5th ed coming out soon? looking for more content like eberon. Maybe dark sun or something? gotta spend those christmas bucks on something...

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    texasheat wrote: »
    Any new books for 5th ed coming out soon? looking for more content like eberon. Maybe dark sun or something? gotta spend those christmas bucks on something...

Spelljammer, apparently?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I came upon the brilliant (terrible) idea of a Kolbold Bard.

I have 6 hp. Well see how this goes.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    i'm not seeing anything on google about spelljammer, do you have a source for that? Wiki just says it may have something in Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage......but not like a full book.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Nope, that's it. There's gonna be something next year, but no more books this year.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wtb Planescape 5e

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Wooo Yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEOxfzxTVU4

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Spell jammer would be fucking awesome as a campaign setting, and if it goes well I can see them having the gumption to try planescape at some point.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Since my monthly group's DM can't make it this month, I was going to run a one-shot for the group. Had a few weeks to prepare and even worked with the DM to see about fun ways to make connections between the one-shot and the main game. Unfortunately two of the players had a last minute obligation insert itself and now they can't make the game, so I'm switching to a different one-shot with only a week to prepare.

That's why I come to you fine folks for advice. This will only be the third time I've DM'd and with little time to prepare I'm ripping off Destiny 1, part of the Crota's End raid where the group needs to summon a bridge, followed by killing a wizard before a really nasty demon shows up. I've got the map I made in the spoiler. This is for a party of 5 level 3 PC's, 4 new players and 1 experienced player/DM.

The party is a Tiefling shadow sorc, wood-elf Moon druid, human fighter, Goliath desert aura Storm Barb and a V.human psionic w/immortal disciplines (he can heal pretty good himself)
    171hvjf81vnl.jpg

My plan is to have some story/introduction RP, then show the map with them having entered the "Hellmouth" which transports them to the very bottom of the map in the spoiler.

Here's how I planned the encounter
    - at least one PC needs to stand in the green circle to start summoning the bridge. Every PC turn, 1 of 6 flames appears around the bridge summoning circle (BSC). If the PC leaves the BSC,the flames disappear and they have to start over. When all six flames appear, the bridge appears and two demons, the Swordbearer and the Gatekeeper appear. Swordbearer on the near side, Gatekeeper on the far side.

- While the BSC is being used to summon the bridge, for every two BSC flames that appear one flame appears around the purple Flame circle (FC). For every flame that appears, either the whole party takes 2 fire damage, or if a PC is standing in the FC, only that PC takes 2 fire damage.

- As soon as a PC stands in the BSC and states they want to stay there, not just run across it or dip a toe in it, initiative starts. I'm gonna have waves of 5 "minion" versions of Lemures pop up on the 1st, 3rd and 5th BSC flames
    1HP/5 AC/2 dmg/15 ft speed

with one Abyssal Wretch
    18HP/11AC/~5dmg/20ft spd
    popping up on the second and fourth BSC flame.

- For the Swordbearer and Gatekeeper I'm using Maw Demon stats
    33HP/13AC/8dmg/30ft spd
    . The Swordbearer takes damage as normal and when he dies he will evaporate leaving behind his sword, which the Gatekeeper is vulnerable to. Once someone in the party is across the bridge and they kill the Gatekeeper, the Gatekeeper drops a key to move on.

- If the Swordbearer dies and there are still enemies on the near side of the bridge, the Wretches will run away but the minions will stay.

When they enter the next room, which is the last, I'll have them fight a wizard, lich, something scary.

My questions are
    - Suggestions for providing information? I'm thinking of having a life domain cleric NPC join them to help heal and spout exposition if it sounds like they're not getting it. There's dead bodies strewn about, and I'll say that it looks like they were dragged from the purple circle, hinting that they were used as sacrifices to summon the bridge.
    - Are my waves too much? I figure since I'm doing them by waves I can raise or lower the number of enemies that appear each wave if it seems like they can't roll well or if I roll too well.
    - Is this just too complicated? If so, any suggestions for toning it down? I want the party to have maybe a couple people go down, but no deaths.
    - Suggestions for final wizard?

shorttimin on
  • Options

Gary the Kobold died.

Not from combat, but from touching a magic gem that he was told not to.

I think I played him for 30 minutes.

• Options
    Ahhh i need NPCs for tomorrow's game.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

What kind of NPCs?

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Since my monthly group's DM can't make it this month, I was going to run a one-shot for the group. Had a few weeks to prepare and even worked with the DM to see about fun ways to make connections between the one-shot and the main game. Unfortunately two of the players had a last minute obligation insert itself and now they can't make the game, so I'm switching to a different one-shot with only a week to prepare.

That's why I come to you fine folks for advice. This will only be the third time I've DM'd and with little time to prepare I'm ripping off Destiny 1, part of the Crota's End raid where the group needs to summon a bridge, followed by killing a wizard before a really nasty demon shows up. I've got the map I made in the spoiler. This is for a party of 5 level 3 PC's, 4 new players and 1 experienced player/DM.

The party is a Tiefling shadow sorc, wood-elf Moon druid, human fighter, Goliath desert aura Storm Barb and a V.human psionic w/immortal disciplines (he can heal pretty good himself)
    171hvjf81vnl.jpg

My plan is to have some story/introduction RP, then show the map with them having entered the "Hellmouth" which transports them to the very bottom of the map in the spoiler.

- at least one PC needs to stand in the green circle to start summoning the bridge. Every PC turn, 1 of 6 flames appears around the bridge summoning circle (BSC). If the PC leaves the BSC,the flames disappear and they have to start over. When all six flames appear, the bridge appears and two demons, the Swordbearer and the Gatekeeper appear. Swordbearer on the near side, Gatekeeper on the far side.

- While the BSC is being used to summon the bridge, for every two BSC flames that appear one flame appears around the purple Flame circle (FC). For every flame that appears, either the whole party takes 2 fire damage, or if a PC is standing in the FC, only that PC takes 2 fire damage.

- As soon as a PC stands in the BSC and states they want to stay there, not just run across it or dip a toe in it, initiative starts. I'm gonna have waves of 5 "minion" versions of Lemures pop up on the 1st, 3rd and 5th BSC flames

with one Abyssal Wretch
    18HP/11AC/~5dmg/20ft spd

33HP/13AC/8dmg/30ft spd
    . The Swordbearer takes damage as normal and when he dies he will evaporate leaving behind his sword, which the Gatekeeper is vulnerable to. Once someone in the party is across the bridge and they kill the Gatekeeper, the Gatekeeper drops a key to move on.

- If the Swordbearer dies and there are still enemies on the near side of the bridge, the Wretches will run away but the minions will stay.

When they enter the next room, which is the last, I'll have them fight a wizard, lich, something scary.

My questions are
    - Suggestions for providing information? I'm thinking of having a life domain cleric NPC join them to help heal and spout exposition if it sounds like they're not getting it. There's dead bodies strewn about, and I'll say that it looks like they were dragged from the purple circle, hinting that they were used as sacrifices to summon the bridge.
    - Are my waves too much? I figure since I'm doing them by waves I can raise or lower the number of enemies that appear each wave if it seems like they can't roll well or if I roll too well.
    - Is this just too complicated? If so, any suggestions for toning it down? I want the party to have maybe a couple people go down, but no deaths.

I'd say for third level PCs that's a goodly number of waves to wear them out of resources. It may be a bit much.

The bigger thing is that for the PC standing in the thing summoning the bridge, they're stuck. They may just be waiting during the fighting with nothing to do which may be really boring for them. I'd have them protecting the Life Domain cleric as he summoned the bridge.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Narbus wrote: »

171hvjf81vnl.jpg

with one Abyssal Wretch
    18HP/11AC/~5dmg/20ft spd

33HP/13AC/8dmg/30ft spd

My questions are

I'd say for third level PCs that's a goodly number of waves to wear them out of resources. It may be a bit much.

The bigger thing is that for the PC standing in the thing summoning the bridge, they're stuck. They may just be waiting during the fighting with nothing to do which may be really boring for them. I'd have them protecting the Life Domain cleric as he summoned the bridge.

Do you think I should get rid of the Fire circle altogether?

I was planning on having the “minion” enemies come from all directions, basically coming up by climbing over the edges of the map, thereby ensuring that unless a PC is up the stairs, there will be at least one enemy near them.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Narbus wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

What kind of NPCs?

I have the three major NPCs (a cambion in disguise, the dragon born noble that's working with him, and the dragonborn noble the new party member we are picking up works for) mostly fleshed out for characterization and motivations barring any game time decisions.

I'd give the servants and underlings characterization, but outside two members the party kinda doesn't acknowledge the help (they're all snooty nobles)

I need a few other dragon born nobles to fill out the flight to be found stranded out in this hunting lodge as the forest surrounding them has become infested with all manner of strange monstrosities. They are... meat. They don't need plots, just empty characterization cause I'm probably going to get them dead. They basically need names, and to think they are far more competent than they are.

The real hard ones I might not need till next game but I definitely wanna flesh out as permanent NPCs of note for this town in the setting they are bringing these folks to

my current list of merchants and craftsmen in the caravan are

Tanner - Human M- Jamal
    Has two different color eyes (one hazel and one green). He's a hardy man, known to handle his drink and the horrible smell of a tannery, but seems a little clumsy (+1con -1dex). That is until you see him play the drum he was given as an adolescent by the tanner he apprenticed under. He reskins the drum himself, and won't let almost anyone else play the drum. Though he is always glad to accompany someone's song. While a bit of a pessimist, with a tendency towards predictions of oncoming doom, he is still friendly and respectful with little judgment for those around him, he likes to maintain a live and let live philosophy.
    (He Definitely grew up an urchin, committing small crimes to get by until his teacher took him in, he's quite ashamed of his past misdeeds and doesn't talk about those times, though he remains sympathetic to those in the circumstances)

Tailor - Dwarf M- Oloric Steelfist
    Has a Pronounced Scar running from his shoulder to his hand on his left arm, his hands are surprisingly quite nimble for the injury he must have suffered, and though he maintains the stocky build of a dwarf his movements around his shop are like a dance set to his whistling and humming.
    The surest sign he is in the depths of his work (+1 dex, -1wis). Though sometimes his absentmindedness can often come off as rudeness, like he does not care about what is being said around him requiring constant reiterations on what was said to him. Less a disdain for those around him and more a symptom of always thinking of his next design or pile of work. Quite the opposite of the rude disdain some might read in his actions Oloric prizes creativity and loves meeting new people, and is quick to become protective of folks he considers close or important to him.
    (Oloric is specifically afraid of spiders and cave fishers)

Smith - Half Orc F- Murgen
    Is strong but gruff. Murgen brooks little nonsense in her forge. She can often be heard loudly chastising apprentices and other workers for what seem to others small missteps. Notably bald she shaves her head to pronounce her orcish features. Proud of her orcish heritage, the reports of orcs having taken up residence in the town of Movashid made the call for the job of blacksmith here impossible to pass up. Murgen loves a good blacksmith's puzzle, or any puzzle really, but she picks at her tusks when deep in thought or nervous. Murgen is one of the townsfolk that can be counted on in a pinch, she's willing and able to go to the mat for the people in town should it come down to that.

Jeweler - Half Elf F- Eva
    A woman of some greater than average means, Eva enjoys flaunting her wealth with ostentatious and flamboyant clothing and jewelry, with quite the eye for whimsical beauty that comes through in her work. Prone to fidgeting and inquisitions Eva always seems to need something to occupy her mind and time. Though it need not always be about work. Eva can often be found in the Demon Claw or around town helping corral the few children that come through the outpost entertaining them with stories and games and shiny baubles. Eva strives to make a name for herself as a jeweler and hopes that riding along side the Avarician caravan can bring word of her skill to the noble courts. They have the real wealth and getting them to finance your work is the ticket to the good life.

Alchemist - Halfling F- Jo Littlefoot
    Once turned her hair purple during an experiment, and still hasn't figured out how to undo it, not that she puts that much effort into fixing it. She got rid of the scales so she calls that a win. Jo is a product of the kazilian university's controversial arcane studies department which until the past two years was a bit of a laughing stock. The discovery of quick and dirty arcane spellcasting came after her graduation, but her interests always rested in the brewing of powerful tinctures, suspensions, infusions and elixers anyways. A learned woman of small stature and verbose language, one should be expeditious to notice you don't play cards against Jo littlefoot with real money on the line, especially cribbage. Those that do might find themselves professing her clairvoyance for the cards, though when teaching someone the lesson she'll be quick to buy a round with her winnings. Raised the daughter of a guild artisan she holds a deep loyalty to the guild unions and is eager to help those in their ranks. For those in the know she can also be counted a friend to those loyal to the pendant and rings (thieves guild) however she does not speak of her connections with them openly to anyone, even those in the know.

Like 3 general goods merchants
    Human M - Claudius
    Claudious sits slouched and sloppy atop the cart he carries his wares in. His face fixed in a seemingly permanent scowl, his visage would be intimidating if everyone around him didn't belie his good nature. His few attending workers are usually happily set about their tasks glad for the deep pockets that fund Claudius's Mercantile exploits. Starting a conversation with claudius may be a daunting task for the uninitiated but once you do his manner is surprisingly affable with a plethoral supply of wisdom from years spent traveling the city state and beyond. While prone to bouts of over enunciation, someone with experience in the craft will notice it the trait of a trained vocalist, and after a few drinks in an in he'll give any bard a run for their money in the common room. In trade Claudius is always looking to make a fair deal, and work towards the greater good, so long as that doesn't run afoul of the wishes of his avarician backer, though running a foul of other avaricians is just a part of that game.

Dragonborn F - Savaran of Clan Phrahdrandon

Half Elf F - Bryn Ariessus

Livestock - Gnome M - Eldon Bafflestone

And a fletcher - Human M - Vlastimir

Edit: ef it i'm just gonna tick away at this post with details during the workday

Sleep on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    @shorttimin' If I was going to adapt Crota's End as a one-shot, I'd probably skip the Bridge and do the Abyss and the actual Crota fight itself. I know this isn't super helpful but I think "stand on the plate" mechanics translate way less well to a tabletop game.

That being said, if you want to cut down on the complexity remove the circle entirely and make it based on the Sword. So, it would look like this:
    -Players arrive, kill some Thralls.
    -Swordbearer appears.
    -Players kill the Swordbearer and the NPC suggests that it can be used to cross the gap.
    -The Sword makes the Bridge appear as they move close it, triggering more Thralls to crawl up.
    -If a player without a Sword steps on the Bridge, the whole thing begins to crumble (give them 1 round or less depending on dramatic tension concerns)
    -The player Swordbearer kills the Gatekeeper and takes the key, which he inserts into the far side of the Bridge, making it solid.
    -The Sword disintegrates.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    My older brother is coming down for Christmas so we'll be weaving in a one shot that's actually still tied to the current going-ons.

As I'm sure many people are going to do, they're going to come head to head with Krampus, a dark fae/demon spirit.

I found a reasonable CR 15 Krampus online and intend to use the Winter Eladrin in Mordekein's book as some "minions". They'll also have an alley in the Holly King so we'll have ourselves a Yuletide showdown and a great RP segment to see how the players react to protecting the children involved.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Sleep, I didn't really get a chance to review your latest updates but if you still need some NPC stats, I cranked these out in half an hour.

They are made as PC's though (which is to say I followed all the rules, I just didn't give them classes):
    Sleep’s NPC Brigade

Jamal, the Human Tanner
    ‘Folk Hero’ V.Human
    AC: 10; HP: 6; Speed: 30 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 12 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +3, Insight +3, Leatherworker’s Tools +4, Musical Instrument (Drum) +2, Survival +3; Prodigy
    Senses: passive Perception 11; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Elven
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: ---
    Background Abilities: Guild Membership
    Class Abilities: ---
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 80 ft/320 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of common clothes, & a dagger

Oloric Steelfist, the Dwarven Tailor
    ‘Clan Crafter’ Mountain Dwarf
    AC: 14 or 10 (unarmored); HP: 7; Speed: 25 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 13 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: History +2, Insight +2, Mason’s Tools +2, & Weaver’s Tools +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Undercommon
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Dwarven Armor Training, Dwarven Resilience, Dwarven Combat Training, Stonecunning, & Tool Proficiency (Mason’s Tools)
    Background Abilities: Respect of the Stout Folk
    Actions
    Handaxe. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) slashing damage; light, thrown (range 20/60)
    Light Hammer. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage; light, thrown (range 20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (5 gp), a set of common clothes, a handaxe, a light hammer, scale mail armor, & weaver’s tools

Murgen, the Half-Orc Smith
    ‘Folk Hero’ Half-Orc
    AC: 10; HP: 7; Speed: 30 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 13 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 12 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +2, Intimidation +2, Smith’s Tools +2, Survival +2, & Vehicles (Land) +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision; Languages: Common & Orc
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Menacing, Relentless Endurance, & Savage Attacks
    Background Abilities: Rustic Hospitality
    Actions
    Great Club. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+1) bludgeoning damage; two-handed
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of common clothes, a great club, & smith’s tools

Eva, the Half-Elf Jeweler
    ‘Guild Merchant’ Half-Elf
    Str 10 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 12 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Deception +3, Insight +3, Jeweler’s Tools +2, Perception +3, & Persuasion +3; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 11, darkvision; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Elven
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Fey Ancestry, & Skill Versatility
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 80 ft/320 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)

Jo Littlefoot, the Stout Halfling Alchemist
    ‘Guild Artisan’ Stout Halfling
    AC: 11; HP: 6; Speed: 25 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 12 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Alchemist’s Supplies +2, Insight +2, & Persuasion +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Gnomish
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Brave, Halfling Nimbleness, Lucky, & Stout Resilience
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20 ft/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (5 gp), a set of common clothes, & a dagger.

Claudius, the Human Merchant
    ‘Guild Merchant’ V.Human
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Brewer’s Supplies +2, Deception +3, History +2, Insight +3, & Persuasion +5; Prodigy
    Senses: passive Perception 11; Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, & Halfling
    Special Abilities
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 80 ft/320 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4+0) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), a dagger, & one set of fine clothes.

Savaran of Clan Phrahdrandon, the Dragonborn Merchant
    ‘Guild Merchant’ Dragonborn
    Str 13 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Insight +3, Persuasion +3, Navigator’s Tools +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10; Languages: Common, Draconic, & Dwarven
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Draconic Ancestry (Gold), Breath Weapon (2d6 fire dmg; 15 ft. cone; DC 11; once/rest), & Damage Resistance (Fire)
    Actions
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of fine clothes, a dagger, & navigator’s tools.

Bryn Ariessus, the Half-Elf Merchant
    AC: 11; HP: 6; Speed: 30 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 10 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Brewer’s Supplies +2, Deception +3, Insight +3, Perception +3, & Persuasion +3; ---
    Special Abilities
    Actions

Eldon Bafflestone, the Gnomish Animal Handler
    ‘Folk Hero’ Forest Gnome
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 13 (+2), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +2, Carpenter’s Tools +2, Survival +2, & Vehicles (Land) +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Gnomish
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60ft.), Gnomish Cunning, Natural Illustionist, & Speak With Small Beasts
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20 ft/60 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4+0) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (5 gp), carpenter’s tools, a set of common clothes, & a dagger.

Vlastimir, the Fletcher
    ‘Folk Hero’ V.Human
    Str 10 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +3, Athletics +3, Carpenter’s Tools +2, Nature +2, Survival +3, Vehicles (Land) +2, Woodcarving Tools +4; Prodigy
    Senses: passive Perception 10; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Elven
    Special Abilities
    Actions
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of common clothes, a dagger, & woodcarver’s tools.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Sleep, I didn't really get a chance to review your latest updates but if you still need some NPC stats, I cranked these out in half an hour.

They are made as PC's though (which is to say I followed all the rules, I just didn't give them classes):
    Sleep’s NPC Brigade

Jamal, the Human Tanner
    ‘Folk Hero’ V.Human
    Str 12 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +3, Insight +3, Leatherworker’s Tools +4, Musical Instrument (Drum) +2, Survival +3; Prodigy
    Senses: passive Perception 11; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Elven
    Special Abilities
    Actions

Oloric Steelfist, the Dwarven Tailor
    ‘Clan Crafter’ Mountain Dwarf
    AC: 14 or 10 (unarmored); HP: 7; Speed: 25 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 13 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: History +2, Insight +2, Mason’s Tools +2, & Weaver’s Tools +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Undercommon
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Dwarven Armor Training, Dwarven Resilience, Dwarven Combat Training, Stonecunning, & Tool Proficiency (Mason’s Tools)
    Background Abilities: Respect of the Stout Folk
    Actions
    Handaxe. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) slashing damage; light, thrown (range 20/60)
    Light Hammer. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) bludgeoning damage; light, thrown (range 20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (5 gp), a set of common clothes, a handaxe, a light hammer, scale mail armor, & weaver’s tools

Murgen, the Half-Orc Smith
    ‘Folk Hero’ Half-Orc
    AC: 10; HP: 7; Speed: 30 ft.; Saving Throws: ---
    Str 13 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 12 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +2, Intimidation +2, Smith’s Tools +2, Survival +2, & Vehicles (Land) +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision; Languages: Common & Orc
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60 ft.), Menacing, Relentless Endurance, & Savage Attacks
    Actions
    Great Club. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+1) bludgeoning damage; two-handed
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of common clothes, a great club, & smith’s tools

Eva, the Half-Elf Jeweler
    Str 10 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 12 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Deception +3, Insight +3, Jeweler’s Tools +2, Perception +3, & Persuasion +3; ---
    Special Abilities
    Actions

Jo Littlefoot, the Stout Halfling Alchemist
    ‘Guild Artisan’ Stout Halfling
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 12 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Alchemist’s Supplies +2, Insight +2, & Persuasion +2; ---
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Brave, Halfling Nimbleness, Lucky, & Stout Resilience
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20 ft/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (5 gp), a set of common clothes, & a dagger.

Claudius, the Human Merchant
    ‘Guild Merchant’ V.Human
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Brewer’s Supplies +2, Deception +3, History +2, Insight +3, & Persuasion +5; Prodigy
    Senses: passive Perception 11; Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, & Halfling
    Special Abilities
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 80 ft/320 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4+0) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)

Savaran of Clan Phrahdrandon, the Dragonborn Merchant
    ‘Guild Merchant’ Dragonborn
    Str 13 (+1), Dex 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Insight +3, Persuasion +3, Navigator’s Tools +2; ---
    Senses: passive Perception 10; Languages: Common, Draconic, & Dwarven
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Draconic Ancestry (Gold), Breath Weapon (2d6 fire dmg; 15 ft. cone; DC 11; once/rest), & Damage Resistance (Fire)
    Actions
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of fine clothes, a dagger, & navigator’s tools.

Bryn Ariessus, the Half-Elf Merchant
    Str 10 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
    Skills/Feats: Brewer’s Supplies +2, Deception +3, Insight +3, Perception +3, & Persuasion +3; ---
    Special Abilities
    Actions

Eldon Bafflestone, the Gnomish Animal Handler
    ‘Folk Hero’ Forest Gnome
    Str 10 (+0), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 13 (+2), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +2, Carpenter’s Tools +2, Survival +2, & Vehicles (Land) +2; ---
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: Darkvision (60ft.), Gnomish Cunning, Natural Illustionist, & Speak With Small Beasts
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20 ft/60 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4+0) piercing damage; finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Equipment: a belt pouch (5 gp), carpenter’s tools, a set of common clothes, & a dagger.

Vlastimir, the Fletcher
    ‘Folk Hero’ V.Human
    Str 10 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 (+0), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)
    Skills/Feats: Animal Handling +3, Athletics +3, Carpenter’s Tools +2, Nature +2, Survival +3, Vehicles (Land) +2, Woodcarving Tools +4; Prodigy
    Senses: passive Perception 10; Languages: Common, Dwarven, & Elven
    Special Abilities
    Actions
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), one set of common clothes, a dagger, & woodcarver’s tools.

Im mostly going through characterization at this point, who they are and how they act. Their game stats should be less important unless everything shits the bed. The only two real combat NPCs are murgen and vlastimir. vlastimir is indeed a folk hero, a really fuckin old one, you wouldn't guess he's the guy to show up and help save the town, but the dudes a fuckin crack shot, unfortunately if anyone in the party he's currently around figured out he was a folk hero they would murder him cause the heroing he did was a high crime to the avarician court. Well two of the party members maybe.

Sleep on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Oops I posted this in the wrong thread earlier

I gave my D&D party a few Super True Resurrection arrows, that only work on undead - instantly restoring them to the prime of their life. I wasn't sure what they'd use these for but I like to throw wrenches into my own campaign from time to time

The ranger took one, no big deal. Then he headed to the heart of Ubtao, shot valindra shadowmantle, yes the lich, restoring her to life and confessed his love for her great works and that he was in awe of her and rolled a natural 20 on his persuasion check. I decided that she'd be a bit inconsolably angry about not being consulted about being made alive again, but after taking out her frustrations by setting him on fire for a few turns she calmed down and agreed to maybe go get dinner with him since she needs to eat now

The party back in the city is like "what's going on with the ranger" and him and Valindra just materialize in the middle of the common room, he runs upstairs and puts his fancy clothes on, Valindra just walks into the warlock's bedroom and steals a fancy dress without asking and they went out for a nice date and fancy inn room fade to black, with the lich saying she's going to feel slightly bad if and when she has to kill all of them for crossing her.

When my players aren't trying to murderhobo my important NPCs they're trying to nail them, every time

I'm just waiting for someone to try to seduce Acererak

I've been roleplaying Valindra as something of an elf nationalist that thinks modern elves are weak willed shits who should be running the world and this appealed to the ranger, who is an elf and a dick

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Your campaign is all kinds of fucked up.

I still haven't decided if that is a good kind of fucked up or the bad kind of fucked up. :)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Your campaign is all kinds of fucked up.

I still haven't decided if that is a good kind of fucked up or the bad kind of fucked up. :)

Its certainly a campaign i love reading about!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It saved their bacon as I had Acererak decide to make an appearance and try to collect on what he thinks the party owes him by beating them up and taking some of their stuff

What he wasn't counting on is the ranger telling the warlock to Message Valindra and explain what was happening.

Wanting a crack at Acererak in the wild (and quite badly wanting his cool staff) and having little to lose (even if she gets obliterated, she just goes back to being a regular lich, and isn't wearing anything of value), Valindra teleported in and hit Acey with a meteor swarm to the face

He decided that this was probably still quite winnable, but didn't want to take the chance his cool toys would fall into the hands of Thay so he tossed a prismatic wall around the party declaring that "YOULL SEE ME AGAIN, CURSE YOU AH-HAHAHAHA" and disappeared - but not before he had managed to kidnap the bard's NPC fiance, since she was silly enough to say *in front of him* that she had a fiance, and then point to said fiance in the previous session

Valindra declared that this excursion was worth it, even if she fails to find the ring of winter or retrieve the soul monger, blowing up frost giants and hitting Acererak with meteors, getting brought back to life, good times.

And then she very politely asked the party if they'd seen Artus Cimber around here... with Valindra getting 26 insight (they saw him like, 24 hours before that). The room actually felt like it changed in size with the sigh of relief when the bard dropped a 29 deception (unsurprisingly they weren't in the best of shape with acererak floating around dropping fireballs on them for several turns)

override367 on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    my campaign just had its 20th (20 holy shit) session after a small break

to "ease" them back in i wrote a few of the player characters some personalized letters and plunged their home country into a direct war with the country they're currently in, and it is just so convenient that their hometown is on their home country's western border with where they are now

i also decided to have one of the letters be addressed to one of the dead PCs (i made the mistake of not actually writing a letter here because i didn't think the group would read the dead guy's mail but oh well)

it was some good shit

unfortunately due to the holidays we're hitting another larger-than-i'd-like break, but on the plus side it gives me plenty of time to plan out their next dungeon; the group's going into the unmapped far-depths of the Library of Ioun to find some knowledge on how to delete the mark of Orcus currently living on the sorcerer's left palm

• Options
    So after Gary died, my DM let me roll a Warforged that they found in the dungeon. Felt kinda bad because previously I had asked an he said no, and this felt like him giving in because I wasn't happy with my first character and my backup just died.

Well, now the Barbarian is upset because we have to many melee front liners (but my first character was a melee front liners, so.....)

I don't envy our dm.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    So after Gary died, my DM let me roll a Warforged that they found in the dungeon. Felt kinda bad because previously I had asked an he said no, and this felt like him giving in because I wasn't happy with my first character and my backup just died.

Well, now the Barbarian is upset because we have to many melee front liners (but my first character was a melee front liners, so.....)

I don't envy our dm.

i dunno, he could just kill the barbarian...

sig.gif
  • Options
    VizardObserverVizardObserver The Duke of Ridiculous Poppycocky Registered User regular
    So, in my Wild West Fantasy setting that's essentially a Shadowrun-esque 1872 America, the players have just been informed that the first of 66 seals to resurrect Satan has been broken. They also met a woman working for the Pony Express who has two warlock rats on her shoulders. One of the players with telepathy attempted communication with the rats and learned that they both worship the Devil and desire to offer him a pact with their Dark Lord so that another seal may be broken. The player has thus far declined, but is offering them lots of smelly cheese.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    My local group (as opposed to my core/old group) is meeting again tomorrow for LMoP. We're in the home stretch now as we're finally at Wave Echo cave. Catering to the board game nerds I filched half my new group from, I've been hand drawing the maps on a large easel sized 1" graph paper pad, and used my kids crayola markers to add some colour.

One of them brought me back a small bag of assorted Meeples from GenCon (where he was helping our mutual friend, who is not allowed to play D&D with us because his wife won't let him :), goes every year to flog his newest creations... fun fact, his latest published release "Order of Invention" was debuted at this recent PAX Unplugged!) to use instead of minis. Because getting to minis gets expensive.

1" scale is big, yo. I've done all of wave echo cave now (skipping a few unnecessary squares here and there in transition) and it covers SEVEN 25" x 30" pages!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My local group (as opposed to my core/old group) is meeting again tomorrow for LMoP. We're in the home stretch now as we're finally at Wave Echo cave. Catering to the board game nerds I filched half my new group from, I've been hand drawing the maps on a large easel sized 1" graph paper pad, and used my kids crayola markers to add some colour.

One of them brought me back a small bag of assorted Meeples from GenCon (where he was helping our mutual friend, who is not allowed to play D&D with us because his wife won't let him :), goes every year to flog his newest creations... fun fact, his latest published release "Order of Invention" was debuted at this recent PAX Unplugged!) to use instead of minis. Because getting to minis gets expensive.

1" scale is big, yo. I've done all of wave echo cave now (skipping a few unnecessary squares here and there in transition) and it covers SEVEN 25" x 30" pages!
    Having recently done Wave Echo Cave as a player:
    It was big! We never bothered exploring every corner and I didn't feel like the campaign was encouraging that we'd do. I felt like the cave took us ages, I think we spent about as much time inside that damned cave as we did on the rest of the campaign. My group is not very good at combat, I think, so something like that flying skull nearly did us in.

I feel like as a DM you should consider how much your players (and their characters) know about DnD monsters and make it a bit more explicit what weaknesses/strengths they have. Like take that skull for example: didn't have an attack of opportunity! Was resistant to piercing weapons! It took us a while to figure that out. We also had a bit of infighting with one of our players who did not think he had a reason to stay with the group and made the whole thing double frustrating for other players (me, mostly). If your players don't know much about the mores of DnD, maybe discuss something like that with them.
    The most important question I should have asked up front was: do you want to discuss strategies when we encounter enemies, or do you want to run in blind? We went for the latter, but most encounters are balanced around former.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I'm looking forward to Curse of Strahd on saturday

we've established that my alcoholic aasimar can hear the prayers of people nearby - but in Barovia the prayers don't go anywhere. The DM is letting me explore what this means, I've said that for her, it's like every time she closes her eyes she's in a whirpool of desperate unfulfilled prayers that threaten to pull her under, which is why she gets blackout drunk whenever she can. It's why she stays away from the church in Vallaki and has grown increasingly despondant since the villagers found out she was an aasimar, because it's given them hope (the DM has interpreted the villagers seeing my character's racial activated as her being an actual celestial, because they're villagers) and increased the frequency of prayers to the morning lord.

The DM's left it up to me to figure out if and when my character becomes a fallen aasimar, and so far I've been giving my character minor goals, as long as more successes are had than failures she can hold on, but Saturday we're going on a foolish rescue mission, to try to pull one over on Strahd during our dinner invite

nothing can go wrong

edit: also the DM let me in on that if my character is ever turned by Strahd, my new character (and the party) will at some point face a vampire immune to sunlight, with radiant resistance, who can cast wizard spells. Oh joy

override367 on
  • Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    Woo, session coming up tomorrow. This one game a month is killing me, hopefully it'll pick up after the holidays. The break did give me time to check out the latest books and I'm changing what was going to be a basic evil cleric necromancer guy into a circle of spores druid from the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica. There are definitely going to be some Last of Us style mushroom zombies in my players' future.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Having recently done Wave Echo Cave as a player:
    It was big! We never bothered exploring every corner and I didn't feel like the campaign was encouraging that we'd do. I felt like the cave took us ages, I think we spent about as much time inside that damned cave as we did on the rest of the campaign. My group is not very good at combat, I think, so something like that flying skull nearly did us in.

I feel like as a DM you should consider how much your players (and their characters) know about DnD monsters and make it a bit more explicit what weaknesses/strengths they have. Like take that skull for example: didn't have an attack of opportunity! Was resistant to piercing weapons! It took us a while to figure that out. We also had a bit of infighting with one of our players who did not think he had a reason to stay with the group and made the whole thing double frustrating for other players (me, mostly). If your players don't know much about the mores of DnD, maybe discuss something like that with them.
    The most important question I should have asked up front was: do you want to discuss strategies when we encounter enemies, or do you want to run in blind? We went for the latter, but most encounters are balanced around former.

It went pretty well last night. The party got to the cave, handily dealt with the Stirges (at one point I did have 3 latched into the Barbarian meat shield at the same time), checked out the first guard room, where the Cleric forgot he could turn undead until there was only 4 left then decided it was a waste. They immediately decided to light the fungal forest on fire.... which of course triggered the poison cloud that screwed up a bunch of them and they quickly learned not to brush off environmental hazards. From there they reached the wraith, who started to speak....but this time the Cleric immediately tried to turn it. Which failed. Mormesk then gloriously sapped two of them of most of their HP before going down. I gave them their treasure and, before getting to the Spectator, suggested that this was a good spot to end the session for the night and generously gave them a Long Rest in the wizard's barracks.

The Barbarian, who has no magic weapons or armor yet, took a shine to the Pipe. Which, in the book is nothing more than a very nice bauble. I think I'll turn it magic... but I'm not sure what effects to give it. I was thinking of something minor like if you smoke from it, it invigorates you. The Barbarian likes to Frenzy, so maybe smoking from the Pipe will remove 1 point of exhaustion? I don't think that would break anything...but maybe the effects only last so long? A hour before the effect wears off and then the user gains TWO points of exhausion? Thoughts?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Had an idea, but it is OP, I think. A peace pipe, it allows the barbarian to end their rage and regain the rage point. Costs one action.

I think that exhaustion is rough to deal with, so the pipe might find limited use if it has a drawback. I think it would be fine if the barbarian can just smoke the pipe for 10 minutes (either during a short rest or as a ritual (once per long rest) to remove a point of exhaustion.

Oh and obviously the barbarian and anyone in a 10ft radius will develop lung cancer and the barbarian takes a hit to his CHA because he stinks. ;)

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.