As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    for anyone interested, speedgaming 3 is currently doing a speed run marathon, but the current game is MHW. The estimate is 7:30 to get through the main story.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I just fought Rathalos in Smash and I was giggling with glee the entire time — especially when I hit him in the head with a deku nut mid-flight and he crashed to the ground like he's supposed to. Pitfall Seeds also work exactly as you'd expect. Sadly I was using Lucario and not, say, Marth so I couldn't cut the tail...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Does Capcom ever recycle old events or bring back special events?

Back when MHW was new, I missed the Horizon Zero Dawn event because it was level-gated and I wasn't high enough level for it. Since that time a ton of other games have come out and I don't even have MHW installed on my PS4 anymore, but this announcement for the new expansion has gotten me excited for the game again. Hoping that maybe I can pick up a few things I missed previously.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The winter event is running right now @Lucascraft and every prior event is available to be run, including the HZD stuff.

edit: This is my first seasonal event, so I don't know if it happens for the spring/autumn/summer stuff (the ability to do the old events) but this winter event let me catch up on most of the stuff I've missed. I don't think I'll bother getting Sakura layered armor or Dante layered (but I'd really like Dante, I just have to be bothered to do another 1-2 Teo's).

editedit: Ignoring the stream overlay of cats they have, this is the most succinct breakdown (that I could find a week or two ago) of the winter event and what to do / farm if you are missing stuff. I started the vid at the breakdown of what events are happening, but if for some reason it doesn't start at the right spot, jump ahead to around 2:30. They don't tend to waffle on too much and all the info is there without all the obnoxious dubstep intro and smashing of the like button bro.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    first azure star quest went live. have to wait until next week for the high rank stuff.

camo_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Luckily the first one has what every hunter truly desires.
    Ts1UxM2.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited December 2018
    Is that PC or PS4? Because I'm sure we had all the azure quests during the winter event on PS4?

edit: pc, I just noticed the E on potions down the bottom right.

Klatu on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Yikes. AT Vaal has a similar mechanic to Teostra that really messes with my HBG pierce damage. That, my playing ability, and its one shot capability might make this a task beyond reach.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Are you sure it's not just that only his head and - somewhere else on his body I can't remember - are vulnerable at the start of the fight? You have to hit him enough to get rid of the mist on his body which gives him armor of sorts.

edited December 2018
    It’s precisely that and it’s really intimidating after learning to deal with the previous versions of Vaal.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    you're better off using stickies and clusters on knock down for AT Vaal if you're gonna HBG, due to the ammo blocking mechanic

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Yeah, it just adds to my time cost of adapting to a slightly different playstyle.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Yeah, it just adds to my time cost of adapting to a slightly different playstyle.

Just means you get to build the dark devourer. Such a great heavy bowgun.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Was wanting to check out MHGU but since it’s switch only and I am not about to buy one yet I picked up MHG for the 3DS. Enjoying it despite the massive step backwards regarding UI and inventory management that world has. Lots of meat to this game and liking how much more customizable the Palicos are.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    First crack at AT Vaal, he's definitely less of a pain in the dick than Kirin, but even with gems slotted to block the proc, that mist of his has some bite now. 25ish minutes, no carts, but a withdrawal to restock potions.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    First crack at AT Vaal, he's definitely less of a pain in the dick than Kirin, but even with gems slotted to block the proc, that mist of his has some bite now. 25ish minutes, no carts, but a withdrawal to restock potions.

Divine Blessing really helps with his aura. Every tick can proc it.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    even with Divine Blessing 3 my impression of Vaal was "lol ur a blademaster and don't have streamstones for health augment? eat shit cause u have to run away to chug pots and lose offensive momentum every 2 mins"

taking damage just by being near the enemy is not exactly my definition of engaging, esp when he can stack miasma with the environmental effect in lower Vale so two ticks of damage are happening every second or something

with my setup I do have Effluvia Resistance 3 but no Effluvial Expert

Orphane on
    Effluvial Expert is just so hard to get without sacrificing too much, I don't bother with it, just 3 Eff Res as well. I don't see how any melee could do AT Vaal without health aug and hope to have sustained dps.

I'm tempted to try AT Vaal with dual blades : Sin rather than Decimation claws and see if fire works out better over elderseal, but it would require me researching an alternative set to my current Vaal set.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Effluvial Expert is just so hard to get without sacrificing too much, I don't bother with it, just 3 Eff Res as well. I don't see how any melee could do AT Vaal without health aug and hope to have sustained dps.

I'm tempted to try AT Vaal with dual blades : Sin rather than Decimation claws and see if fire works out better over elderseal, but it would require me researching an alternative set to my current Vaal set.

Expert doesn't do anything for Vaal's damage, only the map. And fire or mantles stop that anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Weird, we rolled over to weekly bounties except the holiday event goes for another few days. that sucks, I wanted more armor spheres

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I did it! I solo'd the AT Vaal on PC. It was my first Tempered or Arch Tempered solo.
    38473DA1AE6241896CFDF4574CCFA5708D6E21C5

Took me way too long, like 33 minutes, but I was super anxious and nervous during it. Super excited by it. I just beat the game's story about 2 weeks ago, it was my first end-game monster hunter (I have the 3ds one, but only like HR 2 or 3 there) and it was my first BIG solo. WOO. Im still hyped and I killed it like 20 minutes ago. :P

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Been dipping my toes back in here and there to tackle AT Xeno. Hoo boy am I rusty.

Been thinking bout trying out bows since it’s the one weapon I haven’t really used.

Anyone have any recommendations on some builds to work towards?

edited December 2018
    Aretè wrote: »
    Been dipping my toes back in here and there to tackle AT Xeno. Hoo boy am I rusty.

Been thinking bout trying out bows since it’s the one weapon I haven’t really used.

Elemental crit builds with Rath skill are probably the best bow sets.

Add weakness exploit also

If you can fit some stamina stuff in there constitution is nice though I prefer stamina surge better

I cycle between kadachi, Anja, legiana, and a dragon element bow depending on weakness.

My current set is
    Rath soul b heln
    Rath b chest
    Kaiser gloves
    Odog waist
    Black diablos/lava fish legs
    Attack charm

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited December 2018
    Finally got all the crowns for "regular" monsters.
    Only:
    Black Diablos small
    Luna both large
    Daora large
    Kirin both
    Nerg both

left.

Still quite a few, but better than it was a few days ago.

edit: updated

Klatu on
    edited December 2018
    Klatu wrote: »
    Finally got all the crowns for "regular" monsters.
    Only:
    Black Diablos small
    Luna both large
    Daora large
    Kirin both
    Nerg both

left.

Still quite a few, but better than it was a few days ago.

edit: updated

Luna doesn't count towards the cheevo, if that helps
    Aretè wrote: »

Here's a list of sets from a really good bow speedrunner, Phemeto

Naphtali on
    Is everyone ready for some serious AT KT farming?

Got a styx LBG set ready that I'm going to try out when fighting him. Failing that I can always fall back on SnS breaking set.

More jump stunlocking bosses, this time AT Teo down in 2:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Xp9nxxOkg

And thar we go, got all my AT Hazak gubbins. Time to wait for USJ part two.

edited December 2018
    So AT Kulve Taroth comes out tomorrow (or Thursday, not sure on the timezones off the top of my head)... do we want to try and get the band back together for it?

Naphtali on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    huh did her new armor ever get datamined

they might need to drop a patch

Elendil wrote: »
    huh did her new armor ever get datamined

they might need to drop a patch

yeah, they're going to have to patch it in. they've explicitly not patched in anything besides gala armor, gala layered, kulu hat layered, skull hat layered and beetle armor layered

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I will make some time to get on.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Really enjoying MHG but I am going to pickup a 3DS Circle Pad Pro, as I move like a damn slug using the regular controllers. Too use to my 360 controller on PC.

Playing through Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii as well.. oh man.. its so quaint. Heavy Sword, Lance, Hammer, Sword and Shield and that bowgun building system that version had. I really had no goddamn idea what I was doing the first time I played it. I remember playing online with some folks from the forum here years ago, doing the big sand elder dragon, the big water guy a few times and some of the other monsters. Looking at the full list of monsters there is a ton I never even fought.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I might be able to hop on for a little bit Thursday. How long is it running?

What is this I don't even.
    AT Katie will be around from December 19th to January 3rd

Took on my first Kirin last night, and was kind of underwhelmed. I thought it was another elder "dragon". I don't think I even got hit.

camo_sig.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Took on my first Kirin last night, and was kind of underwhelmed. I thought it was another elder "dragon". I don't think I even got hit.

regular kirin is just to show you what it's going to murder you with later.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Its good that you didnt get hit, because vs AT kirin getting hit is a loss.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Its good that you didnt get hit, because vs AT kirin getting hit is a loss.

You really want 30+ resist on that bastard, imo.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    An hr to go until AT KT and I'm stuck at work :(

Good luck to those that get to try