As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    -Wall gets less popular he further south you go. Ton of racist republicans that still hate immigrants, but they have also don't like how the wall might either interfere with their business or results in them, their family and/or friends losing land (or having it marred by the wall).
    Can you provide a citation on this particular point?

I wish I had a link, but Bourdain's recent episode in Texas showcased a lot of Texans that would travel back and forth and have their companies sending stuff back and forth over the border all day every day. Stuff that's partially built in Mexico, returned to Texas for more finishing or vice versa. Also showed a man whose daughter/son was engaged to a Mexican person that couldn't cross the border to visit. Lots of positive talk about Mexican's being their neighbors.

this one? https://www.eater.com/2018/10/21/18001364/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-west-texas-recap-season-12-episode-5

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Finally got to listen to the whole thing.

Jesus Christ did Schumer and Pelosi take him apart. They set him up and let him go and got just a years worth of clips of him agreeing with them. Claiming it will be his shut down. And then came out stating, "We want fact based negotiations" afterwards is just amazing.

We saw the minority leader in the White House, in the Oval Office call the President of the United States a liar on live television.

Wow.....

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Lanz wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    -Wall gets less popular he further south you go. Ton of racist republicans that still hate immigrants, but they have also don't like how the wall might either interfere with their business or results in them, their family and/or friends losing land (or having it marred by the wall).
    Can you provide a citation on this particular point?

I wish I had a link, but Bourdain's recent episode in Texas showcased a lot of Texans that would travel back and forth and have their companies sending stuff back and forth over the border all day every day. Stuff that's partially built in Mexico, returned to Texas for more finishing or vice versa. Also showed a man whose daughter/son was engaged to a Mexican person that couldn't cross the border to visit. Lots of positive talk about Mexican's being their neighbors.

this one? https://www.eater.com/2018/10/21/18001364/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-west-texas-recap-season-12-episode-5

Awesome, saves me the the trouble of tracking down the last few articles I've read on wall polling, where they delve into how there are republicans on the border that loath the wall because it fucks them over and some of them even got that it would do fuck all (people either jump the wall, tunnel under or use some other method to get in and stay here). It's only really the people in hugely white, insulated areas far from the border that believe the wall has any fucking value. Now given the shady shit with the new FBI headquarters on top of Trump's already super shady shitty real estate empire. I would be high suspicious of anything dealing with real estate or construction that he wants to do; especially, when it has no real fucking value. Also worth noting there are elements of the rate that suck overall on environmentalism, but don't want the natural beauty of their hobby travel areas marred by shit and the all is definitely a problem in that regards as well.

Edit: Long story short, it's probably easier to find enough republicans in Congress to shit on Trump's veto; especially, in the next Congress, than it is to get the democrats on board. This really isn't a winner for the GOP. The less fucking awful parts of their base don't care for the wall. Some of the awful parts, also don't care for it. Plus, the awful parts wills till vote for them over a democrat, if the cave on the wall, while the more moderate parts of their base is to the point where they will turn on them over a shut down and opt for democrats, along with the non-party affiliated that are somewhat malleable when it comes to party allegiance.

Mill on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    In other news I think we have a winner in our brief "single photo that captures the Trump tantrum perfectly" search.

Kyle is a producer with MSNBC.

That was already won by the washington post's youtube video on the first page

ha5q3298u875.jpg

Edit: I don't know what I love more about this picture. Schumer's "Is this really happening?" grin, Pelosi's "This fucking guy" hand gesture, Trump's "baby has hyuge hands", or Pence's evil death stare.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Of course Pence is the one that can get comfy in the antique torture chairs

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    In other news I think we have a winner in our brief "single photo that captures the Trump tantrum perfectly" search.

ha5q3298u875.jpg

Edit: I don't know what I love more about this picture. Schumer's "Is this really happening?" grin, Pelosi's "This fucking guy" hand gesture, Trump's "baby has hyuge hands", or Pence's evil death stare.

Having now watched the video, I'm amazed at the complete lack of self control he displays in a publicly broadcast setting. It's really something to see just how utterly unaware of the expectations of everyone else in that room he seems to be. It's also as hard as ever for me to listen to the man actually speak, because his speech patterns actually drive me up the wall.

Also, I'm sure this has been covered before, but why is his tie comically long? - you can see it clearly in the preview, as well.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s a fat guy thing

Like his hair is a bald guy thing

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So I know the conventional wisdom is these people who have to work will continue to work with the expectation that they will be retroactively paid, but how long does that actually last? Like the 2013 shutdown lasted 16 days. If the government were to shutdown from next Friday through the 3rd, that's already 14 days. And that's assuming a Democrat lead House can pass a bill that a Republican lead senate will accept immediately, and that Trump won't veto. If it does fall apart in that time, how much longer will the government workers continue to work, unpaid? Like, if it goes on three weeks or more, wouldn't people start saying "fuck this" and stop working? I know there is the expectation that if you quit you won't get paid, but if it goes on through the holidays and the beginning of the year, people will have budgeted already for Christmas and be expecting those paychecks to cover beginning of the month bills. If they don't get that, that could fuck alot of people over, and in my mind even the heavily patriotic workers will start to grumble and debate protesting by not working. Not to mention the fury if they aren't retroactively paid for that work.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    My understanding is that the stupidly long tie was also an 80s fashion thing

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

ha5q3298u875.jpg

Having now watched the video, I'm amazed at the complete lack of self control he displays in a publicly broadcast setting. It's really something to see just how utterly unaware of the expectations of everyone else in that room he seems to be. It's also as hard as ever for me to listen to the man actually speak, because his speech patterns actually drive me up the wall.

Also, I'm sure this has been covered before, but why is his tie comically long? - you can see it clearly in the preview, as well.

It’s an optical illusion based on his hand size. The tie is of a normal length.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So I know the conventional wisdom is these people who have to work will continue to work with the expectation that they will be retroactively paid, but how long does that actually last? Like the 2013 shutdown lasted 16 days. If the government were to shutdown from next Friday through the 3rd, that's already 14 days. And that's assuming a Democrat lead House can pass a bill that a Republican lead senate will accept immediately, and that Trump won't veto. If it does fall apart in that time, how much longer will the government workers continue to work, unpaid? Like, if it goes on three weeks or more, wouldn't people start saying "fuck this" and stop working? I know there is the expectation that if you quit you won't get paid, but if it goes on through the holidays and the beginning of the year, people will have budgeted already for Christmas and be expecting those paychecks to cover beginning of the month bills. If they don't get that, that could fuck alot of people over, and in my mind even the heavily patriotic workers will start to grumble and debate protesting by not working. Not to mention the fury if they aren't retroactively paid for that work.

It goes until the government can be funded no matter how long that may take, and yes people will find work elsewhere instead of coming back to work for the government. Even a single day shutdown will result in some people looking for work elsewhere, and the longer it goes the worse that will get. Some of these people will take temp jobs planning to return to their government job when they can be paid again, but many will never return to the public sector.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It goes until the government can be funded no matter how long that may take, and yes people will find work elsewhere instead of coming back to work for the government. Even a single day shutdown will result in some people looking for work elsewhere, and the longer it goes the worse that will get. Some of these people will take temp jobs planning to return to their government job when they can be paid again, but many will never return to the public sector.

Fun fact: temping is also illegal. Most gov jobs require authorization before you can work other jobs. Guess who won't be available to authorize?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    After being played like the complete moron that he is, our President had to have a mini tantrum on his way out of the oval to pout like the baby that he also is.

White House Reporter Eli Stokols: Trump stormed out of the Oval Office right after the Pelosi-Schumer meeting ended, flicking away a folder and scattering briefing materials in frustration, said one staffer who saw it.

He has no fucking clue what he’s in for.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Also the Congress was good about timing. Most government folks get paid every two weeks, at least what I can tell in DoD. Pay day is this week. There are two federal holidays built into the timeline right after the 21st (Christmas and New Years Day) and a lot of government folks take a lot of vacation time right now. So the overall interruption will be minimized compared say this was during the actual end of the fiscal year. This is mostly inside baseball.

Also we must remember partial shut down as well. Hitting some key areas including DHS and State. DoD is already funded through next year.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Doesn't that give the Democrats side even more of leeway to not want to work with Trump? The areas not getting funded are the ones already fucking over minorities in the DHS, and areas that if not funded will hurt Republican heavy strongholds in places like Department of Agriculture?

• Options
    Doesn't that give the Democrats side even more of leeway to not want to work with Trump? The areas not getting funded are the ones already fucking over minorities in the DHS, and areas that if not funded will hurt Republican heavy strongholds in places like Department of Agriculture?

DHS is huge. And covers everything from ICE to the Coast Guard to investigations.

Do not under estimate how invasive and important a lot of these departments are even in blue states. California for example produces a huge amount of the food for the US. A lot of public lands in the US are managed by it and interior.

A partial shutdown still hurts us all. But politically it is Trump pulling a pin on a grenade and tapping it to his arm.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    USDA looks to have it's appropriations teed up this week, so it should theoretically be fine as well.

• Options

If it goes long enough there are likely to be some people who become homeless. Timing is everything in life, and some people may not have a multi-paycheck cushion on this particular 1st of the month, but would be able to weather it in September. The government employs a lot of people, and in a lot of different stages of their life.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I saw Elf on a Shelf trending on twitter, clicked on it for a quick look and found out it was people talking about Pence’s posture and silence during the meeting.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I'm watching the full video finally today

SO INFURIATING

stop calling her nancy, her name is Representative Pelosi Minority Leader, Mother of Dragons

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    All of them sit so uncomfortably. Trump is nearly squatting in front of his chair.

Expensive antique chairs are not comfy.

Presidents furnish the Oval Office (and residence). Some things can be given on loan, but it's mostly just the Resolute Desk and art. I doubt those are antique. Or expensive.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    All of them sit so uncomfortably. Trump is nearly squatting in front of his chair.

Expensive antique chairs are not comfy.

Presidents furnish the Oval Office (and residence). Some things can be given on loan, but it's mostly just the Resolute Desk and art. I doubt those are antique. Or expensive.

I'm sure they are expensive. I doubt they are antique or interesting, unless they belonged to senator Mcarthy or something because it's 2018.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I was trying to be the mom. I can’t explain it to you. It was so wild. It goes to show you: you get into a tinkle contest with a skunk, you get tinkle all over you.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Hey no satire!

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm watching the full video finally today

SO INFURIATING

stop calling her nancy, her name is Representative Pelosi Minority Leader, Mother of Dragons

Leader Pelosi of the House Representative. First of her name. The Unshook. Social securer. Reformer of health care. Protector of the Floor. And Mother of Appropriations.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Hey no satire!

not satire, apparently!

https://www.axios.com/oval-office-trump-previews-next-phase-of-presidency-pelosi-schumer-808d086a-68d5-4852-96be-c063e8a3b228.html
    Newsiest lines:

Trump: “If we don’t have border security, we’ll shut down the government ... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it."
    Schumer: "When the president brags that he won North Dakota and Indiana, he's in real trouble."
    Pelosi: “Please don’t characterize the strength that I bring to this meeting as the leader of the House Democrats who just won a big victory."
    Immediately after the meeting:

Schumer told reporters that Trump had a "temper tantrum."
    Pelosi told Democrats behind closed doors: “It’s like a manhood thing for him. As if manhood could ever be associated with him. This wall thing."
    More Pelosi: “I was trying to be the mom. I can’t explain it to you. It was so wild. It goes to show you: you get into a tinkle contest with a skunk, you get tinkle all over you.”

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ...that is not a maxim I'm familiar with

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That is a bizarre expression. I don't... what?

What?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    what

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    She didn't want to say pissing contest in front of reporters.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    if this continues by 2020 the dems will have gone from havign second thoughts about her to demanding the new dem present canonise her

nothing will enrage trump more than being told no by a woman who he has no direct control over and who shows him no deference

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

but like

why a skunk

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    mdgjm.jpg

BSoB on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »

but like

why a skunk

Because skunks stink?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Because skunks spray a noxious substance and even though it’s not the same thing as urine it’s close enough for a folksy saying.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    if this continues by 2020 the dems will have gone from havign second thoughts about her to demanding the new dem present canonise her

nothing will enrage trump more than being told no by a woman who he has no direct control over and who shows him no deference

She deserves a House Office Building.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

I saw Elf on a Shelf trending on twitter, clicked on it for a quick look and found out it was people talking about Pence’s posture and silence during the meeting.

That part of this is also just sinking in- the Vice President was sitting right there and said nothing.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    You know he's thinking, all he has to do is keep that up and he will be President.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »

That part of this is also just sinking in- the Vice President was sitting right there and said nothing.

I mean

He's worthless and he knows it

Trump probably forgets he exists on the regular

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I mean

He's worthless and he knows it

Trump probably forgets he exists on the regular

I'm wondering if there's more to it than that. Manafort was the one who picked Pence and he was head of the transition team.

Maybe I'm just blowing smock smoke, but nothing else that happens makes sense sooooooooo

This discussion has been closed.