As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Come on Mamba. Want to ditch the FDL cause it just doesn't work for me.

Mamba has its own issues. Mainly heat issues. Its like flying in a sun exclusion zone all the time.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nah, it was patched.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Obsidian Ant summary of what to expect:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sc6Bb3OXPaU

I'm actually excited for this patch, just mapping the planets of my home system and see what's actually there will be fun, and the Krait phantom looks like something that may become a favorite as it has been described as a larger Cobra.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Obsidian Ant summary of what to expect:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sc6Bb3OXPaU

I'm actually excited for this patch, just mapping the planets of my home system and see what's actually there will be fun, and the Krait phantom looks like something that may become a favorite as it has been described as a larger Cobra.

Phantom will replace the MkII for combat for sure. One less L hardpoint, but faster and you can get a tougher hull.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Anyone using a x56 (the re-engineered Logitech one) for Elite? I have used a Thrustmaster FCS and a x52 Pro, but those 2 analog axis on the x56 throttle seem tasty for Elite (and/or SC).

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Still using my X55, but I'd probably get the 56 if it breaks permanently.

• Options
    It's hard to find reviews of the 2018 re-engineered Logitech version.

Maybe I'll see if I can sell my Thrustmaster and x52 pro and then snag one. Can't be any 'worse' than the x52 pro.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    It's 3.3 patch day folks!

The servers are already down, and will be for about 8 more hours apparently.

• Options
  • Options
    I'm so pumped to try this out in VR tonight. I didn't play any of the beta

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'm so pumped to try this out in VR tonight. I didn't play any of the beta

Same. I've got my hotas out and I'm trying to decide where to bind these new controls. Might just have to use the keyboard.

Also, got my LEP bonus pack email!

Special item bundle now added to your account as part of your Lifetime Expansion Pass

Alongside the Beyond - Chapter Four update today we’ve added brand new items to your account.

Get festive with two seasonal Bobbleheads, or change the appearance of your ship with a choice of 6 new paint jobs.

Your new items are:

• Snowflake Bobblehead
    • Snowman Bobblehead
    • Mamba Midnight Black
    • Krait Phantom Midnight Black
    • Imperial Cutter Iridescent Gleam
    • Federal Corvette Iridescent Gleam
    • Anaconda Iridescent Gleam
    • SRV Iridescent Gleam

Got to admit, I'm kind of excited to check out the "iridescent gleam" paint job.

• Options
    Hm, word is that this is the last update covered by the Horizons season, and the next years update will be a new paid for thing, "seasons" or not. It's also supposed to be "game-changing" according to the latest Obsidian ant video... anyone know anything more about this?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got an email with a bunch of free skins and bobble heads. Did anyone else get that?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I got an email with a bunch of free skins and bobble heads. Did anyone else get that?

That's for the lifetime pass holders, I think?

• Options
    Oh, that’s nice!

• Options
    I was thinking about playing this a little and maybe upgrading my setup, but it turns out the obutto revolution is discontinued and I don’t know
    much about alternatives.

• Options
    Managed to download and install, but now the servers are showing "Issues detected".... how would have thought?!? :D Same procedure as every patch-day hehe.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hmm, maybe I'll spend some time zooming around space on my upcoming holiday break.

• Options
    The main thing stopping me at the moment is not wanting to put my whole setup back together.

• Options
    The main thing stopping me at the moment is not wanting to put my whole setup back together.

How crazy is your setup that it requires "putting it together"?

I figured my setup was sufficiently crazy with VR and HOTAS, but now I am questioning that...

• Options
    Even just the HOTAS requires some effort, so that it doesn't slide around etc. If I add the Oculus to that I have to set up the sensors etc. I've been looking into chair mounts for the HOTAS but I have to figure out how to get work to pay for them.

• Options
    Well, that wasn't exactly a smooth launch. On the plus side, download only took 10 minutes for 10 gigs, so that's nice, but the game servers burned hard it seems. I couldn't log on all night yesterday, but managed to get 20 minutes or so before work this morning, enough to map the planet my home station orbits. There is a lot of salt on the forums now as people who were scrambling to get "first-mapped" on central systems in the bubble couldn't log on, while apparently the console players had a much better experience? A little bit strange, I thought the servers were shared but what do I know.

From the little I saw, it seems nice? New lighting definitely makes the game different and "softer" somehow, and I kinda like the mapping mini-game. Still need some time to get to grips with the new scanner mechanisms, lots of keys to find good binds for, but I'm liking what I've seen so far.

• Options
    I got logged in finally, but never left founder's world - too busy buying a couple new ships and didn't want to risk it yet :D

• Options
    Even just the HOTAS requires some effort, so that it doesn't slide around etc. If I add the Oculus to that I have to set up the sensors etc. I've been looking into chair mounts for the HOTAS but I have to figure out how to get work to pay for them.

Got some TVs you could mount?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZDB2HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    If I add the Oculus to that I have to set up the sensors etc.

To play Elite, I think you could get away with only setting up a single sensor using the small desk stand, since all you need is the head tracking.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Distant Worlds 2 is starting in a month. Gonna have to start playing this again and get used to the new exploration system (and maybe mod my Anaconda for exploration instead of trading).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Here is an interesting bug, which you may or may not want to test yourselves.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/463291-Exploit-Repeatedly-jump-into-the-same-HGE-USS

• Options
    So I did some of the CG last night. Wow, turns out they've gotten overhauled as well.
    They're a lot more like the old kickstarter trailer now.

I dropped in and got comm'd a choice between factions. No more choosing in the functions panel.
    After a few minutes a capital ship appeared. As it happened, it was on my side. But on the enemy side, an elite "Spec-ops" wing jumped in. Vultures and chieftains with engineered ships. The HUD actually kept a sort of quest-tracker about them at the upper right. I don't yet understand all that it was trying to tell me.

Took them down, and eventually destroyed all the enemy ships. Yes, all of them. No more endlessly spawning mooks. We won the day, the cap-ship jumped out. I scooped up what mats I could before they expired. No more hostile forces appeared.

Now, I didn't try to re-enter the same combat zone. Maybe it would have all reset, I don't know. But I'm pretty impressed with this update.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Anyone using a x56 (the re-engineered Logitech one) for Elite? I have used a Thrustmaster FCS and a x52 Pro, but those 2 analog axis on the x56 throttle seem tasty for Elite (and/or SC).

I've had an X56 since my X55 cracked the collar ring under the joystick itself (at the point of rotation).

I don't play ED anymore, but that being said--unless the game has radically changed, the X55 was extremely well suited for ED (to the point where you can get away with zero mapping changes). The X56 somehow even more so thanks to the inclusion of a second mini-joystick head instead of a button on the joystick's stalk.

I thought they were useless for driving the rovers around, but I also generally hated rovers.

• Options
    @Zerocz That sounds like the new scenarios, I'm glad that you had a positive experience with those, looking forward to experience them myself.

@Synthesis you may want to give the game a second chance after this patch, in many ways it feels like a new game. Can't hurt to at least give it a shot.

So, what's the impression everyones got from the 3.3? I haven't really had that much time to experience the new things, but from what I've seen, it's mostly positive. I spent quite a lot of time getting to grips with the new discovery system and planetary mapping (so many new buttons to map!), and it seems like a big improvement, at least to me as a casual explorer. You can use the new scanning mechanics to get a feel for the system, it takes a minimal amount of skill, and even though it's a bit "gameified", I still think it's a good thing. The new planetary mapping actually takes some thinking and skill to do it efficiently, and I love that we now have a way of finding things on the surface. I tried mapping some planetary bodies in my local neighborhood that no one had touched, and small planets/moons were quick while gas giants took some more effort. This is a new chance to put your name out there, so if you haven't already get out there and get "first-mapped" for systems in the bubble!

Also, tried the new mining things, and mining is no longer a mindless thing to do to relax. It is very involved if you want to use all the new mechanics, and the payout can be pretty good as well as some of the new minerals you find by deep-core mining are worth several hundred thousand credits. I get the impression that you may not need all new mining equipment on your mining ship, either focus on old-school mining lasers and sub-surface, or go with surface abrasion and deep-core mining as those go well together.

Finally, got my new Krait Phantom, and that's one ship I took a liking to immediately, even though it's only half-engineered. Somehow it feels much more like a small ship than the mk 2, and handles better as well.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I posted on Discord, but I can here as well too. My friends and I have our own squadron (only 4 of us), but if we want to make it the de facto PA squadron I don't mind. We're called Ghost Raccoons (our old DnD group named that after using a name generator) and we're based in Obambojas.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      I haven't tried the new changes yet. I'll probably try equipping a corvette with mining toys and explode some rocks.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Options
      DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
      I just watched a video on the new mining changes and it looks really fun and interactive. Exploration changes sound really promising too and I've heard that bounty hunting has received some nice quality of life changes as well.

All around it seems like a solid patch.

• Options
      I need a better keybinding setup for all the new stuff. I've got a thrustmaster t.16000m fcs. Anyone got binding they like? I'd prefer it never uses the keyboard.

• Options
      I think there are now officially too many bindings for me to have them all on the hotas

• Options
      SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
      I try to keep my flight and combat relevant stuff on the hotas, with the other stuff on my keyboard (I'm using one of these so button space is at a premium).

aTBDrQE.jpg
    • Options
      SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      Lodbrok wrote: »
      @Synthesis you may want to give the game a second chance after this patch, in many ways it feels like a new game. Can't hurt to at least give it a shot.

I appreciate the thought, but I don't think I will.

I returned to ED after quitting it for....hmm, probably in the area of six months, in the wake of curiosity, a VR headset (for my money, sit-down VR experiences are by far the best implementations I've seen of home virtual reality without sacrificing entire swaths of the base gameplay experience, and ED does well in this respect), and with news of a major patch a few months ago. While I was gradually easing back into the game, I was interdicted by an AI ship that, at my height, I would barely register as a threat. Still cautious, I prepared for a fight...and was immediately killed. Part of that, no doubt, was the severe situational awareness handicap lots of people, myself included, experience in VR versus using a monitor. Part of it was being reminded of what I can only describe as "the inexplainable randomness" of the game combined with the not-inconsiderable tedium the player is subjected to when things work properly, which led me to quit the game the first time.

The first time I quit the game, I was in my same decked-to-the-nines Python, on an (AI) bounty hunting mission. I was about to go in for the kill on a minor bounty, to my surprise, his shieldless ship rammed me directly into the bridge.

Then he rammed me again, destroying my cockpit. I went from +90% shields to dead in two swift rams. No idea what happened to the AI though to be honest, it was pretty hard to care.

I'm not giving it another shot, it's worth my time or effort. I don't decry anyone who loves the game, it's a technical marvel in size and scale that makes No Man's Sky look like wadding in a kiddy pool. But it's not for me.

It's almost a shame, since the (now Logitech) X56 is practically tailor-made for the game, but it'll suffice in any other HOTAS-capable flight sim. I'd try to get it to work for TIE Fighter '98, if that hadn't inexplicably stopped working.

• Options
      Vr gives better situational awareness in this, as a general rule.

• Options
      BasilBasil Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      Lacking so much as head tracking in elite is a painful experience. Being able to just look out the windows like you're in a real vehicle and not flying using a camera strapped to a seat is amazing.

Basil on
      9KmX8eN.jpg
    • Options
      BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
      I've been really happy with this drop, especially the new core mining. I'm not sold on the mission generation server (too few missions) but overall I'd say this was a great release. I'm hoping that now that server states are starting to change we will see more missions generated.

Also if any of you are interested in mining (or even just a chill place to talk elite), I hang around with a bunch of rock biters:
      https://discord.gg/jFcrtdj

Its a friendly server and you are all welcome to stop in. Its mining focused and not a "PA" discord. That said we also have combat folk, bgs, pirates, explorers, bounty hunters and the normal mix of players popping buy and hanging out. Its all very laid back. Things have been getting more a lot active with the addition of the core mining mechanics. (We are big enough that we have fdev community manger presence, but small enough you can get to know all the active posters.) Lately we've had a lot of interaction with Distant Worlds 2 (DW2) and some of out folk are heavily involved organizing the mining components to DW2. No spoilers as to why though.

DS0mQJS.png