As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Artifact] Call to Arms set released. Give mid or feed!

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm pretty convinced that with time Artefact will be pretty great.

In it's current barebones state both in terms of features and just having one basic set out it's only like a 7/10.

But most of the current things I think of as core problems (that aren't grumbling about the model not being an LCG) are things they can grow out of. The core is there and I'm happy with it.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They reset it when it went into open beta and you got all your gems back though, so you didn't lose any money. They haven't had a rotation since the beta opened up for the general public.
    And Magic: Arena also has 5 sets available where this is Artifact's first, so even there it's not a direct comparison.

Arena feels way cheaper to get into than Artifact.

And I'm telling you as someone who is arguably a card game whale and keeps track of how much money I spend in card games, this is objectively not true.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here. MTGA's business model is not cheaper than Artifact.

You're comparing apples to oranges here, though. Some people don't want to buy the full set of all cards, they want 1-2 decks, or value money over time, and MTGArena comes out ahead on that front.

Yeah. Personally I could give 0 shits if I have a top tier constructed deck like, ever.

I like my hastily thrown together jank decks with incomplete playsets because I haven't gotten the cards in draft yet.

Artifact just says "no, you can't play that way sorry" and it's incredibly frustrating because the underlying game experience is really interesting.

And casual phantom drafting against randos has gotten to feel very hollow very quickly without any real carrots for performance. Like just constantly cycling through simulated drafts in MtG

fuck gendered marketing
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The fact that I'm just really bad at this game apparently doesn't help. Used my five tickets, never got past two wins.

What is this I don't even.
  • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Went 5-0 in (casual) constructed with a ridiculous Lock deck AMA

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I’m having blast on the casual with drafting and my jank g/b payday deck featuring Rix and some bracers

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That's abnormally talkative for Valve.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    I suspect they picked up on the fact that the reddit and other discussions is just never ending whining about the state of the game.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    That's abnormally talkative for Valve.

Valve: we are adding chat and maybe other stuff at other points in the future. Please clap

I mean, Valve actually saying ahead of time that the patch will be Thursday is a big step up.

persona4celestia.jpg
    The Artifact complains are nothing compared to the 'Give Diretide' debacle and they were stoically silent on that for like 3 weeks or something.

So the prices of cards are currently plummeting.

Because Valve is having a 55% off sale on the Valve complete collection. Which means if you already own all the games included you can buy Artifact for half off, open your packs and then have the game removed from your account and do it all over. Functionally letting you card packs at 0.95c.

There's a whole bunch of 'investors' who are very annoyed at the sanctity of the free market being violated but honestly anything that makes the game cheaper to play is a net win in my books.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So the prices of cards are currently plummeting.

Because Valve is having a 55% off sale on the Valve complete collection. Which means if you already own all the games included you can buy Artifact for half off, open your packs and then have the game removed from your account and do it all over. Functionally letting you card packs at 0.95c.

There's a whole bunch of 'investors' who are very annoyed at the sanctity of the free market being violated but honestly anything that makes the game cheaper to play is a net win in my books.

Oh man, yes. The schadenfreude of browsing the /r/artifact subreddit and people complaining about losing their "investments" in a digital card game is amazing.

Stabbity_Style.png
    So, did Valve just overlook that this would impact Artifact, or are they already writing the game's first set off?

edited December 2018
    I'm going to laugh when those people get their Steam accounts banned.

(Sounds like it's fixed now, too.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Ok, yeah. I think this was just an unintended oversight of their usual sales. Whoops. Still, you'd think they'd be aware of that sort of thing.

I think the "market crash" was massively overstated. I figured it might be a good time to get an Axe if it really was totally crashed, but that's still an $11 card.

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    The pack is currently not up for sale anymore so it looks like it was a pretty big oversight I'd guess.

steam_sig.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    To be fair, Valve basically all but said that Artifact packs would never go on sale and never be available freely because the market equilibrates to the average pack price, so its definitely a surprise this happened.

Their whole marketplace model for Artifact baskcally only needs enough demand to buy all cards from the marketplace at the equivalent of $1.99/pack.

I ate an engineer
    I looked at the price history and suspect valve may have taken some steps to adjust prices after the crash. I don't know how they'd do that other than basically add an additional, unlisted fee on cards that dropped too far. But you can see a marked point where prices seem to manually adjust up.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I looked at the price history and suspect valve may have taken some steps to adjust prices after the crash. I don't know how they'd do that other than basically add an additional, unlisted fee on cards that dropped too far. But you can see a marked point where prices seem to manually adjust up.

Is there any TOS or anything that would prevent valve from buying the cards off the valve market place? Is that legal? Doesn't seem like it would be illegal for them to do, if they wanted to inflate the price they could reduce the number of copies in circulation quite easily

I think the "market crash" was massively overstated. I figured it might be a good time to get an Axe if it really was totally crashed, but that's still an $11 card.

From what I could tell most people involved in flipping cards like that were fishing for the big ones and dropping the prices on the smaller ones. So while it did dunk the price of a full collection Axe and co still hold value.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Is there any TOS or anything that would prevent valve from buying the cards off the valve market place? Is that legal? Doesn't seem like it would be illegal for them to do, if they wanted to inflate the price they could reduce the number of copies in circulation quite easily

Rather than buy the cards it would make sense to just mark up, say, a .30 card to be .50 and keep the difference, plus never tell anyone.

Where is the option to turn off the new stupid chat thingy?

edited December 2018
    And the other new option where you don't get to see what cards you are drafting is also pretty stupid.

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23FFFFFF&letterbox=true

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23FFFFFF&letterbox=true

Burtletoy on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Where is the option to turn off the new stupid chat thingy?

I think you just hit escape and press the mute button in the center of the screen.

Also Pauper tournaments are live. I know some people wanted to check those out.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Not bad, went through and picked up a full set of commons for like $4 off the market. Any interesting ideas for Pauper decks?

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Not bad, went through and picked up a full set of commons for like $4 off the market. Any interesting ideas for Pauper decks?

There's r/artifactpauper or something which will be full of them.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950/announcements/detail/1714081669510213123

Artifact has abandoned the "No card changes" balance philosophy.

liEt3nH.png
  • VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    This update is a great turn and good for the life of the game.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950/announcements/detail/1714081669510213123

Artifact has abandoned the "No card changes" balance philosophy.

Glad I sold off axe and drow awhile back lol

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Those changes are looking good except the nerf to the "Cheating death".

It's annoying to play against, but it is also the only card keeping Blue decks and their WMD:s in check.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    zauwbmnv7q5b.jpg

Optimal R/B board state.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    the newest patch has me playing this again after getting bored in week 1. I enjoyed watching and reading about artifact, but I wasn't playing much. Turns out I like to see numbers go up! Level 4, draft rank 3 right now. I may even play some constructed now--probably pauper at first.

Shame the game didn't ship like this, the playerbase has already suffered a precipitous decline after a really botched launch . I would still like to see it successful because I enjoy dota, I like some of the artifact streamers (especially ex-Gwent guys like mogwai and swim and lifecoach) and I think in many ways Artifact is really interesting with high production values and good design.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Before the patch I was just playing blue / green decks for constructed. this patch has me switching between mono black / blue & black. I've been having a pretty good time. I'm interested to see how set 2 advances the meta

The biggest issue with the new Cheating Death is how much it slows you down and gives away initiative.

It can't stop upkeep kills and it requires you to give up initiative even in lanes you otherwise didn't want to play things into. Which is really frustrating because the effect is definitely still impactful.

Is this free to play yet?

How much longer do you think until it does go free to play?

Would that even do anything? There's only a couple hundred very dedicated players left. Seems like difficult competition to come into without any cards.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Man, Artifact might legitimately be the most disappointed I've ever been in a videogame.

What a waste this all was.

I ate an engineer