As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Govt Shutdown 2018: It's a Trump Christmas Shutdown!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I find it hilarious how Pence is doing everything he can in that meeting to not draw attention to himself and the Internet seizes on that to focus so much attention on him.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Watching the video can we replace Schumer with pelosi clones?

Seriously Schumer looked bad. He seemed angry and mean but also got beat up by bully trump quite a bit. But mainly he like super insulted Indiana and North Dakota

His ejections jave consequences line got destroyed by trumps response of yeah that’s why the economy is doing so well now you’re welcome

Meanwhile Pelosi just owned.

Overall they got trump to just take future responsibility for any shutdown so that’s a big win even if Schumer looked meh.

616610-1.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    "Vice President Pence, would you like to tell us your opinion on the government shut down?"

"Me? I'm just the coffee boy."

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That was not an insult to Indiana and North Dakota.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    "Vice President Pence, would you like to tell us your opinion on the government shut down?"

"Me? I'm just the coffee boy."

If I was pence I'd go full sasquatch; become the kind of thing that people tell stories about but which no one can really provide conclusive proof of the existance of.

Because yeah: dudes best play is to be as under the radar as he can get so as to not to be too associated with trumps policies.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    he tried that
    and then got put in charge of the space force

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Of course Pence is the one that can get comfy in the antique torture chairs

True antiques are uncomfortable because they haven’t been re-upholstered in a long time. These have, they’re fine to sit in. Trump sits like that because he is fat. He leans over to hide his gut.

More relevant. Is no one talking about how he said “we will get what we want; through the military or through you”. Was that not a threat of force? It sounded like it

wbBv3fj.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

True antiques are uncomfortable because they haven’t been re-upholstered in a long time. These have, they’re fine to sit in. Trump sits like that because he is fat. He leans over to hide his gut.

More relevant. Is no one talking about how he said “we will get what we want; through the military or through you”. Was that not a threat of force? It sounded like it

He's been saying if he can't get funding, he will have the military build the wall the last week or so

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Seriously Schumer looked bad. He seemed angry and mean but also got beat up by bully trump quite a bit. But mainly he like super insulted Indiana and North Dakota

His ejections jave consequences line got destroyed by trumps response of yeah that’s why the economy is doing so well now you’re welcome

Overall they got trump to just take future responsibility for any shutdown so that’s a big win even if Schumer looked meh.

saying that Indiana and fucking south Dakota are Republican is not an insult.

Indiana goddamn gave us pence

I mean look, I am not saying Schumer is a universally great leader. I am just saying both he and Pelosi played that meeting excellently.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I saw Elf on a Shelf trending on twitter, clicked on it for a quick look and found out it was people talking about Pence’s posture and silence during the meeting.

That part of this is also just sinking in- the Vice President was sitting right there and said nothing.

He even closed his eyes! Granted closing his eyes is what he does best but the President was losing his shit right in front of him and he looked like he was having a nap!

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

I saw Elf on a Shelf trending on twitter, clicked on it for a quick look and found out it was people talking about Pence’s posture and silence during the meeting.

That part of this is also just sinking in- the Vice President was sitting right there and said nothing.

He even closed his eyes! Granted closing his eyes is what he does best but the President was losing his shit right in front of him and he looked like he was having a nap!

It's possible he's been through enough of this tirades that he defaults to "Ohh, not this shit again." and retreats internally into a fantasy land where he gets to persecute gays wothout opposition.

Side note, I'm sad the thread title isn't "Trumper Tantrum". Always thought that was the best description for what he does.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He's been saying if he can't get funding, he will have the military build the wall the last week or so

Ok.

How is he going to acquire the raw materials to construct his insipid wall without funding?

Like, is he planning on just having the longest, most epic game of red rover the world has ever seen as the marines hold hands for miles? Maybe do a 2000 mile long human pyramid using the army?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I mean

He's worthless and he knows it

Trump probably forgets he exists on the regular

As a Rep, his nickname was "Mike Dense".

Among his fellow Republicans.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Ok.

How is he going to acquire the raw materials to construct his insipid wall without funding?

Like, is he planning on just having the longest, most epic game of red rover the world has ever seen as the marines hold hands for miles? Maybe do a 2000 mile long human pyramid using the army?

You know

I never figured that 2018 would end with Trump instigating a half assed xenophobic retread of Hands Across America, dragging the troops into his farcical nightmare.

But now I realize it is the only fitting end to the year.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Good Lord, Pelosi and Schumer played Trump like a complete asshole. Schumer is tool, but he clearly wanted a NY Post shout out.

Has anyone done any research on this claim that we apparently captured ten terrorists in the 'recent period of time'?

EDIT: Holy, shit. Trump said that sick people with medical problems who are probably contagious are flooding the country?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Good Lord, Pelosi and Schumer played Trump like a complete asshole. Schumer is tool, but he clearly wanted a NY Post shout out.

Has anyone done any research on this claim that we apparently captured ten terrorists in the 'recent period of time'?

This just gives me flashbacks about how everyone was gawking about how Hillary played Trump during that first debate with bringing up Alicia Machado, but it didn't wind up doing squat, really.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This is just gonna get intepreted according to party affiliation. I bet on the right the headlines are all going to be how Trump "destroyed" the democratic leadership in that meeting.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

EDIT: Holy, shit. Trump said that sick people with medical problems who are probably contagious are flooding the country?

There's no research to do, it's a lie. You know how I know it's a lie? Because Donald Trump said it.

And also, if it was true, he would've been screaming it from the rooftops.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited December 2018
    Apparently, that particular lie originated with Pence.

Fencingsax on
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

This just gives me flashbacks about how everyone was gawking about how Hillary played Trump during that first debate with bringing up Alicia Machado, but it didn't wind up doing squat, really.

I've already seen the media running with the 'Trump Shutdown' naming convention, so if that sticks this time, I'd consider that a win.

steam_sig.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

It was Fox News propaganda during the midterms. That the caravan people were sick with diseases and stuff, along with all the other bullshit.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What's amazing is it wasn't even official fox propaganda, like I think the guest who suggested it was even mildly questioned by the fox host. Trump isn't repeating Fox News propaganda, he's repeating stuff even fox balked at

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I tried to watch the video, but it's so infuriating when he interrupts Pelosi "excuse me, that's not what I think" then just starts talking over her. Manners man! Come on!

I tried to watch the video, but it's so infuriating when he interrupts Pelosi "excuse me, that's not what I think" then just starts talking over her. Manners man! Come on!

As someone mentioned earlier, it's a woman he has no power over, openly disagreeing with him.

There's no way he could respond any differently. Trump is almost solely lizard brain. That he did this while cameras are rolling, basically proves it.

He puts the Id in idiot.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Did you forget who we’re talking about here?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I like this quick article on that.

While Trump mansplained, Pelosi illustrated her case for a ‘woman at the table’

The more women that are at the top and in power especially publicly the more actions like that will be unacceptable.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

It wasn’t meant to be an insult. But it represents the Dems biggest flaw which is marginalizing Midwest fly over country voters. It was a dumb thing to say. You could make the same point without specifically calling out states

I think Schumer and pelosi ended up tearing trump apart together. But Schumer looked bad. Maybe it’s needed? Maybe someone has to get that trump stink on him to get him agitated and making mistakes like taking credit for a future shut down

But Schumer didn’t look good IMO

616610-1.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

And its not even just Pelosi or women. That interview with the Fox guy, where he shit on the General that got Osama. The Fox guy listed the Generals accomplishments and Trump interrupted him with "Excuse me, he is a Hillary supporter".

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I read the whole transcript of the Trump/Pelosi/Schumer meeting.

It reads like two people trying desperately to debate somebody in the middle of a stroke.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    They’re trying to avoid the spray of skunk tinkle

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    They’re trying to avoid the spray of skunk tinkle

I really wish she hadn't said that. Nobody should say tinkle unless they absolutely have to, and even then never as an adjective. Either say 'pissing' or make a comment along the lines that LBJ had a good description of the situation, and let the reporters google whatever profanely insulting quote of his they think is relevant. Tinkle, ugh.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

And its not even just Pelosi or women. That interview with the Fox guy, where he shit on the General that got Osama. The Fox guy listed the Generals accomplishments and Trump interrupted him with "Excuse me, he is a Hillary supporter".

Which he wasn’t

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Is the word tinkle so bizarre that it requires that much attention, while the president of the US is threatening with shutting down the government and using the military to fulfill a campaign promise?
    Like are there any deep implications in the usage of that particular word that would warrant analysis while the country is metaphorically catching fire?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I feel like it's important to point out that the interruption didn't start with "excuse me."

He said "Hillary Clinton fan" and then interrupted again when the interviewer tried to finish his question with "Excuse me, Hillary Clinton fan."

It wasn't an apology for interrupting, it was an indignant response to the interviewer not agreeing to dismiss the question entirely when he said that lie the first time.

This is probably a decent model for how Trump will handle the shutdown. Rudely, repetitively, and primarily through falsehood.

FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Is the word tinkle so bizarre that it requires that much attention, while the president of the US is threatening with shutting down the government and using the military to fulfill a campaign promise?
    Like are there any deep implications in the usage of that particular word that would warrant analysis while the country is metaphorically catching fire?

I figure it's the media and punditry trying to both sides this shit.

If she'd said "piss", they'd be falling over themselves to point out she's as crass as he is. That her "message" is even close to as comparable to his actions on a daily basis.

It's infuriating.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

It did a lot, just not over a period of several months with intervening events.

The shutdown is scheduled for 9 days from now.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    She used a juvenile euphemism in the middle of a goddamn quote about trying to play “mom” to Trump’s toddler. It’s savage.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I prefer the part where she attacks his masculinity.

Nothing pisses off a wannabe tough guy like telling him what he really is.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

It wasn’t meant to be an insult. But it represents the Dems biggest flaw which is marginalizing Midwest fly over country voters. It was a dumb thing to say. You could make the same point without specifically calling out states

I think Schumer and pelosi ended up tearing trump apart together. But Schumer looked bad. Maybe it’s needed? Maybe someone has to get that trump stink on him to get him agitated and making mistakes like taking credit for a future shut down

But Schumer didn’t look good IMO

The better way to say it would have been "When the president is bragging about winning red states you know he's in trouble."

Either way, one of the most pathetic moments of the entire debate was Trump's response to that: "...well...I did...I did win those states..."

This discussion has been closed.