As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] Reveal stream live now! Expansion drops April 9th!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    I have to say I’m pretty glad I didn’t buy into this expansion asthings seem to be shaking out as stale as usual.

Which is unfortunate because I used to like hearthstone, but these days it’s either curvestone, a boring control deck or something stupid druid is doing. I don’t really care to shit on a game I like and want to like but it’s become this stale and boring thing and all the good stuff has been sucked dry.

the honeymoon period ended much sooner than i anticipated, even. usually that whole experimentation/discovery phase lasts quite a bit longer.

i guess because people realized "hey wait, un'goro/kft/knc are still fucking busted" and just played those decks instead

i will see how things shake out post-rotation, at any rate. witchwood will still be a thing, but the only other sets will be boomsday and rastakhan's and those weren't nearly as bullshit as kft/knc were

I don't think odd rogue or odd paladin are losing very much with the rotation, they'll probably remain strong unless there is some other deck that comes along and dunks on them. But yeah, I'm with you. It's not at all surprising to me that the dominant decks from last expansion are the dominant decks here.

90% of odd paladin's cards are from Mammoth

almost every single card they're running will be gone!

odd rogue is losing a good deal too; dire mole, fire fly, blink fox, tar creeper, flappy bird, cobalt scalebane, fungalmancer, vilespine

they're losing a lot!!
    Yeah, most the even/odd decks are: Genn/Baku + two dozen Un'goro/KFT/KNC cards. I'm sure there will still be viable odd paladin/rogue decks next year, but they're going to have to iterate a lot to figure out what works best after the rotation.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I think some people are just taking advantage of experimenters and it's putting a damper on experimentation. Give it another week or two, people will find shit that works.

I'm playing around with a Bwonsamdi deck that just puts your opponents minions on the board and steals them and kills them so he can pull them out and play them for 1 mana. I'm sure it'll be bad, but I'm trying it.

List?

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Normally what I do is I spend all my gold to buy a bunch of packs on the first day of an expansion and then over the next few weeks I buy one more pack at a time (once I’ve accumulated enough gold for it) until I hit a legendary. Right now I’m on a 30-pack streak without a legendary and I’m debating just stopping now, as the legendaries appear to be pretty shite on average this time.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yup, new APM priest is pretty good. I'm a bit rusty but still winning

• Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Normally what I do is I spend all my gold to buy a bunch of packs on the first day of an expansion and then over the next few weeks I buy one more pack at a time (once I’ve accumulated enough gold for it) until I hit a legendary. Right now I’m on a 30-pack streak without a legendary and I’m debating just stopping now, as the legendaries appear to be pretty shite on average this time.
    Well you can also figure there's a decent chance over the next few months of getting a few free packs from events and such.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »

Holy cow. Here I thought that my friend and I were the only ones who did that. Well ok, only me since my friend can't help himself and he buys packs and Arena runs. I use the saved gold to buy all the packs I can at launch. Then gold goes towards packs till I hit a Legendary and start saving till the next expansion. This allows me to have enough dust and gold for the next expansion.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So with just screwing up the combo 3 times from not having played it in forever I'm 6/12 on APM priest
    One time I ran out of mana (forgot to VN a radiant), one time I ran out of board space (VNed a boar before TTing it) and one time I ran out of card space in hand (was one short)

Phyphor on
  • Options
    I looked at my pack stats again from this expansion and I went 35 packs between my second and third legendaries.

Also, in Witchwood, I got legendaries in packs 42 and 66, and then in Boomsday I got legendaries in packs 42 and 66. Crazy.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Odd mage just gobbles up odd rogue, spell hunter and oddadin. Quest rogue can be tough depending on draw on their side.

And decks with more value or straight up OTK decks would be an issue but i haven't seen those often...

I am very happy with pocket galaxy's performance so far. Even just having one arcane tyrant mitigates the tempo loss. And since you can heal so much after jaina the value from your draw engine with 1 cost big bodies puts you in a very good spot to close out the game.

I am really enjoying it guys, give it a whirl.

Edit: it is a topheavy deck, i just had a game where i got too much lategame in my opening hand which can be devastating.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    And of course right after my post i start running into taunt warriors and bullshit priests. I get it hearthstone, my bad.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

HS Replay basically has Odd Paladin in Tier S. IMO, Tier 1 is Even Paladin down to Even Warlock on the list below, and Tier 2 is everything from Odd Warrior down to Odd Hunter. But the difference between Odd Paladin and Even Paladin is basically the difference between Even Paladin and Even Warlock. It's insane.

60.54% - Odd Paladin
    57.00% - Even Paladin
    56.37% - Even Shaman
    56.08% - Deathrattle Hunter
    55.97% - Spell Hunter
    55.95% - Recruit Hunter
    55.61% - Taunt Druid
    55.59% - Odd Rogue
    53.78% - Even Warlock
    53.01% - Odd Warrior
    53.00% - Odd Mage
    52.49% - Mecha'thun Druid
    52.25% - Malygos Druid
    52.16% - OTK DK Paladin
    51.99% - Zoo Warlock
    51.55% - Kingsbane Rogue
    51.48% - Midrange Hunter
    51.36% - Undatakah Druid
    50.95% - Clone Priest
    50.73% - Mill Druid
    50.56% - Tempo Mage
    50.42% - Odd Hunter

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    None of those top decks give me trouble except odd warrior

Cmon people git with the meta and stop playing subpar decks (that i do lose to)

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I think some people are just taking advantage of experimenters and it's putting a damper on experimentation. Give it another week or two, people will find shit that works.

I'm playing around with a Bwonsamdi deck that just puts your opponents minions on the board and steals them and kills them so he can pull them out and play them for 1 mana. I'm sure it'll be bad, but I'm trying it.

List?

I'm on my phone so I'll just dump it here and come back and format it:

### What's yours is mine.
    # Class: Priest
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Crystalline Oracle
    # 2x (1) Inner Fire
    # 2x (1) Mind Vision
    # 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
    # 2x (1) Spirit of the Dead
    # 2x (2) Cloning Device
    # 2x (2) Seance
    # 1x (3) Curious Glimmerroot
    # 2x (3) Thoughtsteal
    # 2x (4) Eternal Servitude
    # 2x (4) Mindgames
    # 1x (4) Shadow Madness
    # 2x (5) Former Champ
    # 2x (5) Holy Water
    # 1x (6) Cabal Shadow Priest
    # 1x (7) Bwonsamdi, the Dead
    # 2x (12) Grave Horror
    #
    AAECAa0GBNwBkALZwQKnhwMNHpEB+ALLCPIM1cEC5cwC5uwC9/wC5ogDsIkD64oDq4wDAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Only been trying it in casual so far, I'm pretty convinced it's terrible but it really fucks with combo + OTK decks. One game I played my opponent's Shirvallah for 0 mana about 7 times.

Deck still needs a lot of work, though. Under no circumstances should anyone craft for it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, a new 'no-fun' combo disruptor deck that targets the meta would be really good for the next few weeks. I might dust off the ol' 'no fun' warlock with the new reset mana legendary and take it for a spin.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I have to say I’m pretty glad I didn’t buy into this expansion asthings seem to be shaking out as stale as usual.

Which is unfortunate because I used to like hearthstone, but these days it’s either curvestone, a boring control deck or something stupid druid is doing. I don’t really care to shit on a game I like and want to like but it’s become this stale and boring thing and all the good stuff has been sucked dry.

the honeymoon period ended much sooner than i anticipated, even. usually that whole experimentation/discovery phase lasts quite a bit longer.

i guess because people realized "hey wait, un'goro/kft/knc are still fucking busted" and just played those decks instead

i will see how things shake out post-rotation, at any rate. witchwood will still be a thing, but the only other sets will be boomsday and rastakhan's and those weren't nearly as bullshit as kft/knc were

I don't think odd rogue or odd paladin are losing very much with the rotation, they'll probably remain strong unless there is some other deck that comes along and dunks on them. But yeah, I'm with you. It's not at all surprising to me that the dominant decks from last expansion are the dominant decks here.

90% of odd paladin's cards are from Mammoth

almost every single card they're running will be gone!

odd rogue is losing a good deal too; dire mole, fire fly, blink fox, tar creeper, flappy bird, cobalt scalebane, fungalmancer, vilespine

they're losing a lot!!

You’re right. I thought a bunch of those cards were witchwood but I misremembered. losing things like Level Up is a big deal. Rogue too. I think those decks will probably exist but they could get pushed out by stronger aggro decks at that point.

The rotation will be more interesting than I thought. I think the power level of the ungoro year was ultimately pretty high. The death knights ended up being too strong. Legendary weapons have caused various problems. Witchwood et al seem a lot more constrained, so there is hope that the new year will open things up a bit.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Weapons turned out surprisingly good. I think all but Priest and Shaman saw play.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Which streamer played an all-value Shudderwock deck? Because that's all I'm facing today. It has a bunch of card generating cards (feat Elise) and Shudderwock.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yilias wrote: »
    Weapons turned out surprisingly good. I think all but Priest and Shaman saw play.

Maybe priest can see some more now with that banana guy and the deathrattle that gives you a coin?

Burgle bully, etc.?

ugh.... I'm going to craft that thing, aren't I?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    Which streamer played an all-value Shudderwock deck? Because that's all I'm facing today. It has a bunch of card generating cards (feat Elise) and Shudderwock.

Crap, did someone see me play my Shudderwock "Stuff your opponent with crap" deck and copy it? Mine has those plus Grifter dude. Gets hilarious filling my opponent's hand with crap and filling the world with bombs (and stuffing bombs into their deck).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

So, Odd Paladin. I think that it needs to be nerfed, and I've been trying to figure out how to make that happen.

The best I can figure:

Level Up!: Either set it to +1/+1 and taunt OR set it to six mana. The danger with the latter is that it could just push the problem off to Even Paladin.

Vinecleaver: Nerf to eight mana. Even Paladin probably would rather play other weapons instead.

Fungalmancer: Nerf to +1/+2 or nerf to 6 mana.

The last greatly affects other decks too, so I'd lean against it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I have a great idea on how to nerf Odd Paladin, but it'll never happen.

Hint: It involves Baku.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Is it even possible to make the Baku card itself any worse? It's already the worst card in any odd deck.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you could make it even cost

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Is it even possible to make the Baku card itself any worse? It's already the worst card in any odd deck.

Yeah. Remove the text on the card.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    even/odd decks are going to naturally be at their strongest right before a rotation. The larger the card pool, the less you have to give up when losing access to half of it.

• Options
    there will never not be at least 4 sets with even/odd though, and we slept on them fairly hard during the release of witchwood as a result

the reliability of the empowered hero power for the decks that use it is very good

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Brawl is choose a hero and play a premade (aka Wizbang) deck. Win and get a Rumble pack.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Hm, which is a good class to pick then? Does Hunter end up with the good Spell Hunter deck or the random beast smattering one?

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Mage is a pretty strong stall-dk deck. It's also amazing in that it's a pre made deck with dragons fury in it that doesn't have any low cost spells finally

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I played priest because surrender to madness is hilarious

• Options
    can you imagine willingly being the person who spends money on the annoy-o-tron hero

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    shuffle priest actually seems pretty legit, although it probably gets run over by aggro

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I played Dragon Warrior, and managed to 1) go up against another Dragon warrior, 2) get Emeriss off my "2 Random Dragons" card, 3) which I played on a hand containing 2 Bone Drakes, Ysera, a Primordial Drake, and an Ebon Dragonsmith, of which I used only a couple before I 4) played War Master Voone.

It was pretty much insane.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I played priest because surrender to madness is hilarious

Priest seemed like trash for the first two games.

Then in the third one I went coin-Surrender to Madness on turn 2 and then snagged Keleseth on curve.

Surprising no one, +3/+3 to everything helps out juuuuust a bit.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    it's trash like espionage rogue; it can pop off but is just so garbage whenever it doesn't (also the pop off isn't as entertaining as playing random cards for 1)

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I love this priest deck. Being able to Surrender+Zihi on 9 is amazing tempo.

Hitting multiple Keleseths and multiple chain gangs with spirit of the dead is awesome as well.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Odd paladin's problem is going wide. I don't think it would be anywhere near as good if it was make a 2/2 instead of 2 1/1s.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    can you imagine willingly being the person who spends money on the annoy-o-tron hero

I bought it because it was a "deal" on packs. I never use the hero though.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    jxPKSA5.jpg?1

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've gone a casual 15-3 w/3 decks since the expansion dropped and I stopped experimenting.
    • Big Odd Mage 5-0
    • Odd Dragon Warrior 3-1
    • Spell Hunter 7-2

Streaked from rank 10 to rank 6. Looks like I'll be getting back to rank 5 for the first time in 2 months.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page